X-O Manowar (2018) #13

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

otomo
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Tomas Giorello
X-O Manowar (2018) #13

Post by otomo »

I really should write this up for the site too because I'm passionate about it.

THE WRAP UP ISSUE!

This is about as spoilerific of an issue as it possibly gets. Kindt infodumped a complete conclusion to the planet Aric's been exiled on for the whole series AND laid the backstory of how we got there in AND actually delivered a pretty fun fight scene. I'm very happy with it. I also have major critiques.

Overall story - A+. Great character motivation. The background with the kid hit me hard in the gut, almost made me cry. Also sets up conflict with Saana when Aric gets back -- which I hope they will do some nice romance drama with rather than have him just move on. There was a lot of characterization in the 2012 series that needed more developing there between them, and I'd like to see that build.

Now the critique: This whole background story of why Aric left should have been layered in from issue 1 with small reveals all the way through. There was zero reason to keep it blank, keep us tight in Aric's perspective where he doesn't' even think about it, and ignore it for that many issues. It feels cheap on that level. It was done excellently in this issue proper, but the mystery didn't build in the book, it was just hanging there. I'da flagged that as an editor immediately. It would have helped the relationships across the board and made Aric much more sympathetic to have layered that in rather than dumped at once. The arc really had very little personal drama outside of "I don't want to be a warrior" at the beginning, and coming to terms with it. The worldbuilding unfolding was so beautiful, but on the character level, it could have been dialed up quite a bit throughout the series. Now it feels like "Rush the ending, gotta get to Harbinger Wars event!" The series isn't bad by any stretch, but just a little tweak and it could have been jawdropping great.

On a side note: We have the 'how did the armor escape" completely explained. No worries from last issue. It was quick, it was cute. The bots talking to each other in bot language was amusing.

The art is atrocious. some of those facial expressions and figures just are really bad. shouldn't have been allowed after such a beautiful start to the series.

Overall, 8/10 even though it was very fulfilling.
Like XO Manowar or Conan The Barbarian? Check out my new graphic novel, DEUS VULT on IndieGoGo now: Deus Vult: http://igg.me/at/deusvult.

WrathOfArmstrong
Valiant fan since: April 2017
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Wrath of Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditte
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp
Re: X-O Manowar (2018) #13

Post by WrathOfArmstrong »

Loved it. I'm satisfied with why he chose to leave earth & kept his distance from the armor. As Otomo pointed out, I don't think there was any foreshadowing.

And I'm not sure if he really experienced any revelation that'll send him back to earth yet... might've been cool if he kept wandering the galaxies...ended up setting off the next Eternity mini or something.

The art was the "best" of this arc, but It would've been nice to have Tomas come in and bookend this yearlong run. The cover options on this issue caused a real debate... glad the story inside warranted picking up two.

I'm ready for the deluxe hardcover treatment on this run and am looking forward to the story continuing to unfold.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue [& Shadowman [2018] #1], please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr159/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to any who listen in :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

Pretty decent yearly wrap up, Aric still has ties to Gorin, and the Bounty Hunters are still in play. Kind of leaves things open-ended, for future mining... :thumb:
#StayValiant

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

F***ing perfect!

I was super surprised at the twist. Haven't felt that shocked reading a comic in a long time.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

A tidy wrap-up. Maybe a little too tidy. The planetary politics angle... I kinda stopped caring about that a while back. So now everything is copacetic, okay.

But the resolution with the bounty hunters was anti-climactic. The fight itself was just okay. Last issue ended with him telling his omnipotent super-weapon to "give me everything". And then he struggles with a handful of aggressors... who he then let's skate away. He even insists they be paid what they're owed. Boo.

Even if you want to argue that they treated the job professionally and could have killed him but didn't, by what law or right did they have to go after him in the first place? That angle would have played better if he at least had mentioned their 'professional' demeanor when letting them walk. "You could have killed me but didn't. I will extend the same courtesy."

The big reveal about his child was interesting. I agree with Otomo that it might have played out a little better in dribs and drabs... but then you'd have seen the reason he left Earth coming from a mile away. Perhaps if those dribs came in just the last few issues that would have sufficed.

Quibbles:

Shanhara can't sustain him any longer? Meh. Since when? I'd have much rather seen him grow weary of traveling through void and chosen to set down somewhere.

Last issue he comes to the realization that Shanhara isn't merely his armor but his Good Skin. Then he goes on to address it merely as 'armor' in this issue. :roll:

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

I enjoyed this wrap up issue, wasn’t perfect but was decent enough. The son on earth passing away was a shocker, I hope this is a central part of his ongoing relationship with Shana when he returns. There was a teaser image in last issue, but cleverly it could have been interpreted as Aric as a boy with his dad (clever because the left missing hand was covered). Nice attempt by Kindt to wrap up loose ends by explaining the Gorin politics stuff but not sure this was entirely necessary.

Wasn’t keen on the resolution with the bounty hunters. I’m glad the characters didn’t die as I think they have great potential, however, I’d have preferred them just to have fled rather than end in the way it did. Seemed un-Aric like not to kill them. :?

Once again, Bode made another error of drawing Aric’s left hand, that’s 2 issues in a row! facepalm As a new artist you’d have thought he’d be extra careful to get the detail right. I like his art in places but not so much on how he draws Aric.

Oh and I hate how the use goofy icons to depict how Baz L speaks! By all means use that style but not the thumbs up, smiley faces etc

I would have liked a return to the scene we saw before this book was launched where Aric is on the throne with the ring hovering, what happened to that? :?

All that being said, I’ve enjoyed Kindt’s ambitious world building and there are a ton of new characters Valiant can re-visit in years to come.

3.75/5

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:All that being said, I’ve enjoyed Kindt’s ambitious world building and there are a ton of new characters Valiant can re-visit in years to come.
For sure. The world building stuff is terrific!