X-O Manowar [2017] #26 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
X-O Manowar [2017] #26 Discussion

Post by grendeljd »

If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue [& Incursion #3], please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr202/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to any who listen in :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

otomo
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Tomas Giorello
Re: X-O Manowar [2017] #26 Discussion

Post by otomo »

Wrapped up pretty early then was some montagy stuff. Really wasn't a lot on the story end though the loose ends were all done nicely. I'll miss this series. Skeptical about the replacement team, seems a big downgrade. Wish we got a little more of Kindt doing this.

8/10
Like XO Manowar or Conan The Barbarian? Check out my new graphic novel, DEUS VULT on IndieGoGo now: Deus Vult: http://igg.me/at/deusvult.

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

Weak issue.
So Aric let the hunters run off with a peice of his armor. Or did he just hack off another peice to give to her.
What crops in the scene shone and him looking at the house what did the geomacer do I see a house a duplicat of the old house from gorin.
All the knolage Aric discovered never got used it was a mcguffin.
This whole series dicked me around. It feels like the whole point was to finelly see some shone tail action.
One thing thats dope as fuc
now we know who war mother is a descendant of.
I Miss the good old days.

grendeljd
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Can't say I enjoyed this issue much - the narrative voice of Kindt writing his goodbyes out as Aric's dialogue did not work well as fitting in Aric's character, for me anyway. Nice to see some loose ends tied up, and the art was great of course.

This whole volume of XO was a giant F-U to the previous continuity, and I could never get past that to enjoy it from the get-go. I still don't appreciate the way Kindt crapped on the good stuff that Venditti established for Aric & his supporting cast - I'm open to changes in status-quo & all, but I did not enjoy any of this.

I think Kindt has contributed some really cool concepts overall to the new Valiant Universe overall though, and I'm glad he did. Hopefully there be some great mileage from other creators now from all the stuff he added [mainly to the other titles though, haha!].
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Just a so-so issue to end the series. Not sure it was a worthwhile plot point to have Schon lose a hand then have this weird glowing replacement which no doubt will be a continuity nightmare for future artists. Odd to do this and leave the thread of the stolen XO ring given Kindt is leaving the book. Hated what Kindt did with Shaana and Volo too, makes Aric’s character seem weak.

Kindt intriduced loads of characters with great potential, I’m sure future writers will thank him for this. The time feels right to change creative teams, however, the way this series tailed off I’m not sure taking a chance on unknowns for the next series is a smart move.

3/5

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Late to this party, sorry. I thought it was a good sendoff and overall I'm very happy with Kindt's run on the book.

As for Schon's ring being in the hands of the bounty hunters, I think it's a good setup for some future action.

kinggirlfriend
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: CAFU

Post by kinggirlfriend »

I just read this too. This arc was soooo decompressed. There really wasn't any meat here. I read it so fast I thought I missed something so I read it again. Would have worked better as an OGN than as monthly singles. Every character involved came off very one-note and kept repeating the same things over and over. There is only really enough story here for one issue.

That being said I didn't hate it as much as I thought it was a big missed opportunity and it felt rushed similar to the end of Bloodshot Salvation. The art was nice. Kindt's whole run had phenomenal art but the story felt rather pointless. The first half was more solid than the meandering puzzling second half. Sabbas?

Venditti's run was rich with character, plot and action. I'm not sure how I'd sum up Kindt's run? Meandering? Lifeless? Dull?

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

kinggirlfriend wrote:I just read this too. This arc was soooo decompressed. There really wasn't any meat here. I read it so fast I thought I missed something so I read it again. Would have worked better as an OGN than as monthly singles. Every character involved came off very one-note and kept repeating the same things over and over. There is only really enough story here for one issue. [/b]
Well now there's an idea. Kindt was obviously floundering after the pointless flashback arc. Agent and Hero were both clusterf*cks that felt like a race to the end. What if they just cancelled the series (like every other VEI ongoing), and give Kindt one or two oversized issues to finish the story with. I imagine that would have led to some interesting creative decisions, and at the very least, would have been a more entertaining read.

kinggirlfriend
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: CAFU

Post by kinggirlfriend »

I was gonna add that I miss the double size special issues and annuals they had going for a while there. They had series and annuals and one-shots and bigger issues all adding support. This series maybe could have used some help. Back-up stories that made us care about the characters on Gorin, flashbacks to old supporting characters on earth, etc. Something. Something to make us care about any of it.

Is this the final casualty of the DMG merger in terms disrupted stories/creators leaving? Everything here on out is new blood right? (minus LaDoTH of course)

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

kinggirlfriend wrote:Venditti's run was rich with character, plot and action. I'm not sure how I'd sum up Kindt's run? Meandering? Lifeless? Dull?
Works for me.

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

kinggirlfriend wrote:Venditti's run was rich with character, plot and action. I'm not sure how I'd sum up Kindt's run? Meandering? Lifeless? Dull?
Finally got my hands on this issue last weekend and would agree with all of the above.

The Soldier and General arcs were at least interesting. Mostly because there was still potential this story was going somewhere. The Emperor arc is where it fell apart for me. Everything after that (so #10 on) was just filler. There was little to no characterization or development. Just a couple bland ideas and a flashback wrapped up in an incredibly boring final issue.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246