Eternity #2 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Eternity #2 Discussion

Post by grendeljd »

If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue [and War Mother #4], please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr143/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to any who listen in :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Re: Eternity #2 Discussion

Post by jmatt »

The issue was one nearly entirely of world building and character introduction... which is good since Valiant apparently has a lot in store for us and The Unknown. It seems like we met a new character or faction every third page. I expect that we'll get more conflict and progress toward the reunification with their child in the next issue.

I thought it was interesting that the Past Light faction, who can only see the carved-in-stone past believe in an indeterminate universe, while the Future Light faction, who can only look forward, believe in a determinate universe where all is pre-ordained and unalterable. You'd think it would be the other way around.

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Phoenix8008 »

jmatt wrote:The issue was one nearly entirely of world building and character introduction... which is good since Valiant apparently has a lot in store for us and The Unknown. It seems like we met a new character or faction every third page. I expect that we'll get more conflict and progress toward the reunification with their child in the next issue.

I thought it was interesting that the Past Light faction, who can only see the carved-in-stone past believe in an indeterminate universe, while the Future Light faction, who can only look forward, believe in a determinate universe where all is pre-ordained and unalterable. You'd think it would be the other way around.
If you can't see the future, then it's unknown and changeable. If you can see the future, and there's only one future, and it's already come true for the whole of your existence, then you would believe it's pre-ordained. If the future light people can see the future though, why were they surprised by the death of the previous Observer? Why don't they already know how this is all ending? They even said something to the effect of "If the child isn't made into the new Observer by dawn, then the world will end" ??? Doesn't that imply that the future is not set and could go either way!? Or maybe the Observer is the only one who can see into the future, and he/she/it passes on the relevant info to the others? Which would leave the others not knowing the future when the Observer is killed. Maybe this is why the worlds are literally breaking up? Without someone there to tell them that the world will continue to exist each day, they stop believing that it will, and thus, their shared belief becomes reality, causing the dissolution of their reality.
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Phoenix8008 wrote:If the future light people can see the future though...
I didn't get the sense that we were supposed to think they could see or foretell the future. Only that they believed it was going to unfold in a way that was unalterable. And... wait for it... Unknown.

Huh. I wonder if we've stumbled into the meaning of the name. Perhaps the Unknown isn't a place, it's a future.

tell
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by tell »

This series feels very different than the previous chapters, not just in setting but in writing. I'm not sure if Kindt's going for some all-round Kirby-esque/golden age vibe with the book, but the dialogue is not doing it for me, it feels very old timey in a way I'm not nostalgic for. Everyone is constantly explaining who they are and what they do or are doing... "Krakor! You and your Sky Bolts are not welcome here!"... "I am Atom-13. I am the simulacrum killer and slayer of the artificial. And who are you?" The people aren't conversing in any normal way, they are just giving exposition.

I'm not sure if it's intentional or there isn't time to let the story be well written, again because of the constraints of the entire story needing to be printed in 88 pages; but I'm a bit disappointed so far.

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

This creative team continues to amaze me, they’ve created a pocket universe inhabited by God-like beings. So many new characters, that can go toe to toe with Abram and Myshka, like the Fumes, who look like they couldn’t take out Ninjak, but have these god-like powers, interesting.

Great issue, the pre order editions are lovely, very insightful. Only nitpick, Hairsine’s been drawing Divinity and Myshka, really thin (no weight) lately. It’s not like he was ever buff, but his suit was more fitting...
#StayValiant

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

tell wrote:This series feels very different than the previous chapters, not just in setting but in writing. I'm not sure if Kindt's going for some all-round Kirby-esque/golden age vibe with the book, but the dialogue is not doing it for me, it feels very old timey in a way I'm not nostalgic for. Everyone is constantly explaining who they are and what they do or are doing... "Krakor! You and your Sky Bolts are not welcome here!"... "I am Atom-13. I am the simulacrum killer and slayer of the artificial. And who are you?" The people aren't conversing in any normal way, they are just giving exposition.
That's kind of what I was getting at with my character introduction comment. It was like a guided tour through the Unknown. I didn't mind much, and I'm sure he's doing it so succinctly because he's got a lot of ground to cover so we can get deeper into the plot.

Like other Kindt arcs, it would have benefited from another issue or two so some of these encounters could have been meatier, but as we've observed before everything these days is written so it fits into a four-issue TPB.

Brother Darque
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Brother Darque »

Getting a heavy Jack Kirby vibe from this comic.

Which is great.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

Brother Darque wrote:Getting a heavy Jack Kirby vibe from this comic.

Which is great.
I'm 100% sure that's the vibe they wanted. :thumb: