War Mother #4 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

otomo
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Tomas Giorello
War Mother #4 Discussion

Post by otomo »

Well then, I thought this was a nice series wrap up. Lots of action, good tension, perhaps it could have had a little bit higher stakes by having War Mother feel like she was gonna be in a bit more danger of actually losing at some point, but it was interesting. I like the resolution, the synthetic baby thingee that I can't remember the name of (that's a cool thing and ties into war MOTHER thematically as he was birthed out of a big battle and she claimed him). Flaco The Gun amused me. I like the whole secret with the cheating lover element and the possible soap-opera-style cliffhanger in that regard. Art was nice, I particularly like the pretty bright and colorful coloring job....

...did I miss anything?

I think like I want a global worldbuilding here's what's happening and going on in 4001 or 2 or whatever year it is that defines things a bit more so I can get perspective after the big epic event they did before, which this didn't offer, but it was more a "solo book "built out of a 4001 concept.

Solid 8/10 maybe close to a 9.
Like XO Manowar or Conan The Barbarian? Check out my new graphic novel, DEUS VULT on IndieGoGo now: Deus Vult: http://igg.me/at/deusvult.

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill
Re: War Mother #4 Discussion

Post by nonplayer »

otomo wrote:Well then, I thought this was a nice series wrap up. Lots of action, good tension, perhaps it could have had a little bit higher stakes by having War Mother feel like she was gonna be in a bit more danger of actually losing at some point, but it was interesting. I like the resolution, the synthetic baby thingee that I can't remember the name of (that's a cool thing and ties into war MOTHER thematically as he was birthed out of a big battle and she claimed him). Flaco The Gun amused me. I like the whole secret with the cheating lover element and the possible soap-opera-style cliffhanger in that regard. Art was nice, I particularly like the pretty bright and colorful coloring job....

...did I miss anything?

I think like I want a global worldbuilding here's what's happening and going on in 4001 or 2 or whatever year it is that defines things a bit more so I can get perspective after the big epic event they did before, which this didn't offer, but it was more a "solo book "built out of a 4001 concept.

I enjoyed your take on it.

I was really hoping the whole building would tie into something we've witnessed before. Like Archer and Armstrong the crazy cult of archers parents or the nuns. I loved the creative world but it could have tied into something. 5/10
I Miss the good old days.

WrathOfArmstrong
Valiant fan since: April 2017
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Wrath of Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditte
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by WrathOfArmstrong »

I liked it, and enjoyed the series overall, but I wish I didn't feel like it's just 'this'. Like Nonplayer mentioned, I was hoping for some circle to be closed that connected to present VEI universe. That and we might not see WM again until 4002. I'd like to see another writer expand the series further if and when another mini comes to be.

Since it was the last issue I read all the previous prior in a single sitting and it really does move well between the issues. Those that trade wait should have a good time.

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

nonplayer wrote:
otomo wrote:Well then, I thought this was a nice series wrap up. Lots of action, good tension, perhaps it could have had a little bit higher stakes by having War Mother feel like she was gonna be in a bit more danger of actually losing at some point, but it was interesting. I like the resolution, the synthetic baby thingee that I can't remember the name of (that's a cool thing and ties into war MOTHER thematically as he was birthed out of a big battle and she claimed him). Flaco The Gun amused me. I like the whole secret with the cheating lover element and the possible soap-opera-style cliffhanger in that regard. Art was nice, I particularly like the pretty bright and colorful coloring job....

...did I miss anything?

I enjoyed your take on it.

I was really hoping the whole building would tie into something we've witnessed before. Like Archer and Armstrong the crazy cult of archers parents or the nuns. I loved the creative world but it could have tied into something. 5/10
But that's the beauty of the whole thing, it isn't really tied into anything, it's a part of the VU that hasn't been explored!

I still hold fast to the idea that the little boy is Father, nothing has swayed me from that idea. The fact that, as a child, it has made adult decisions that would emulate an advanced thought process only proves my theory more. His learning the idea that things have to be done for the betterment of the tribe almost echoes Fathers ideas on New Japan. Do things for the betterment of the people, even if it's wrong and immoral. I could see this thought process coming from Father, and having it mirrored in this short, well...

I too loved the soap opera style ending, that cliff hanger was great! Oh the disaster that could come from that whelp opening his mouth! A child, not knowing exactly what they are doing, would do just that! They wouldn't think of the disasters it could cause, and that there is a better time/place for those actions.

"You can call me, God" I laughed quite a bit at that, as I could totally see a sentient being who doesn't understand what can of worms it would open, saying just that! Flacco is hilarious! Being AI really showed itself, but I felt like the tiff between himself and Warmother never manifested itself properly. There seemed to be no real answer, no solution to his complaints. Sure, his major one, as she stated "for all of us, for the tribe" shows that she doesn't care one more than the other, but there were other smaller ideas that could stave off more problems in the future. Maturation explanation would be one I was expecting, but never got.
Moose

otomo
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Tomas Giorello

Post by otomo »

Yeah I agree Moose -- and yes I laughed out loud at Flaco's line there it was hilarious. Not often a comic makes me do that (hopefully the new Q&W will!).

I rate it highly because I don't like to judge a comic by what I wish it was in terms of it being another story, but by how satisfying this is itself. If it billed itself 4001 the continuation or 4002, I think it'd be a bit different as it didn't reference much of the past content in that regard, but just defining War Mother as a character and her tribe and the like, I think it succeeded. So yeah, ignoring the global Valiant Universe context, but it never made any promises to do that, so it's not this story's fault.
Like XO Manowar or Conan The Barbarian? Check out my new graphic novel, DEUS VULT on IndieGoGo now: Deus Vult: http://igg.me/at/deusvult.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue [and Eternity #2], please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr143/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to any who listen in :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tell
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by tell »

TheeBaldMoose wrote: I still hold fast to the idea that the little boy is Father, nothing has swayed me from that idea. The fact that, as a child, it has made adult decisions that would emulate an advanced thought process only proves my theory more. His learning the idea that things have to be done for the betterment of the tribe almost echoes Fathers ideas on New Japan. Do things for the betterment of the people, even if it's wrong and immoral. I could see this thought process coming from Father, and having it mirrored in this short, well...
It's an interesting theory but I don't really see any evidence for it. Being a gengineered super kid who near-literally fell from heaven to live with simpler tribal people has given him a Machiavellian complex.

He's genetically engineered to what his parents wanted and New Japan likely could have been making children develop earlier than we do. His parents presumably would order high intelligence and analytical skills, he could also have gotten some extrovert alpha-dog personality, and my personal theory, some fierce loyalty to his parents. He mentions that he got to choose a better parent and that's Ana (he's not convinced by his new father), I imagine him twisting his internal programming to obey his parents into a fierce loyalty to Ana and by extension her purposes and beliefs.

EDIT- I can't spell
Last edited by tell on Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:40:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

I thought it was an ‘ok’ ending to an ‘ok’ mini. I’d prefer FVL to provide the concepts and let another writer execute them as his stories are very rarely fulfilling for me as there’s almost always a goofy element to them. The dialogue and character of Flaco the gun was dire and ironically in this case I’d say it was the gun that needed shooting!! facepalm :P

Art was acceptable but not A level stuff, I’d have preferred Dela Torre who did some of the art in issues 2 and 3 (from memory)

3/5 - readable but could have been much better

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:I thought it was an ‘ok’ ending to an ‘ok’ mini. I’d prefer FVL to provide the concepts and let another writer execute them as his stories are very rarely fulfilling for me as there’s almost always a goofy element to them. The dialogue and character of Flaco the gun was dire and ironically in this case I’d say it was the gun that needed shooting!! facepalm :P

Art was acceptable but not A level stuff, I’d have preferred Dela Torre who did some of the art in issues 2 and 3 (from memory)

3/5 - readable but could have been much better
+1
#StayValiant