XO Manowar [2017] #8 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
XO Manowar [2017] #8 Discussion

Post by grendeljd »

If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue [and Eternity #1, & Bloodshot: Salvation #2], please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr139/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to any who listen in :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Summydad1
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: X-O/Bloodshot/Ninjak/Rai
Favorite title: X-O (2012)/Harby (2012)
Favorite writer: Kindt/Venditti/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS/Braithwaite/Crain
Re: XO Manowar [2017] #8 Discussion

Post by Summydad1 »

Once again the art is good but the story is starting to lose me. I don't really see where this is going. Time to return to Urth. Reluctant 3.5/5.
"Do. Or do not. There is no try" -Yoda

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Good issue. Fantastic art. I like the duality of Aric and Schon both speaking of their fathers.

Have we seen an image of the relic the Monomen wanted and apparently received in this issue? I'm not quite sure.

otomo
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Tomas Giorello

Post by otomo »

I'm quite happy. Thought this was a nice twist with the whole Bruto element and then making peace with the aliens. It's wrapped up a lot of the main plot but made things personal with Schon. I also am learning with Kindt that there's usually more that meets the eye, even at this point in a series (going through Mind Mgmt). I think what gets revealed in issues 9-10 will be pretty interesting.
Like XO Manowar or Conan The Barbarian? Check out my new graphic novel, DEUS VULT on IndieGoGo now: Deus Vult: http://igg.me/at/deusvult.

Alastor
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me
Favorite character: Aric/Rai/Bloodshot
Favorite title: X-O Manowar (2017)
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire
Favorite artist: Giorello/Crain

Post by Alastor »

Damn, I loved that issue! First, the drawings are so beautiful! I did not know Renato Guedes before this issue (I kept Divinity 0 aside to read with Eternity 1.), I'm a fan now! As for Clayton Crain, what can I say ... I'm still speechless in front of every page. I hope the oversized hardcover will be published fast !

For the story, I must be naive, but I did not expect Bruto's betrayal. And it's really cool to learn a few things about Wynn's past. And that thing with the Monomen happened too fast to be over!
I'm like a kid when I read this series. I am amazed at every page.
Now that everything we knew about the series has passed, Aric's journey from soldier to emperor and all that (I mean, it was in the title of each narrative arc, and in the teaser of the last issue of the run of Robert Venditti), I wonder where Matt Kindt will bring us. Somewhere unexpected , i'm sure.

5/5

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Alastor wrote:...but I did not expect Bruto's betrayal. And it's really cool to learn a few things about Wynn's past.
As soon as I saw more characterization being fleshed out, I figured we'd start seeing people drop dead.

"Gee, that's a touching story about your wife and daughter, I hope that... Look out! Forsooth! I will avenge you!" :lol:

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

I think Crain’s art hurts the story sometimes. I find myself studying panels trying to figure out what’s going on :? The pacing seemed odd in parts, for example, Aric killed the emperor (strangled I think), in 2 panels, this seemed awfully quick end to the battle?

Despite my gripes, I still enjoyed this issue.

3.5/5
Last edited by Dallow Spicer1 on Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:23:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:I find myself studying panels trying to figure out what’s going on :?
As much as I like his work, I too find myself trying to interpret panels from time to time.

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

There were a couple of pages by Guedes, they were noticeably clearer and I quite liked them.

QUARTZ

Post by QUARTZ »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:I think Crain’s art hurts the story sometimes. I find myself studying panels trying to figure out what’s going on :? The pacing seemed odd in parts, for example, Aric killed the emperor (strangled I think), in 2 panels, this seemed awfully quick end to the battle?

Despite my gripes, I still enjoyed this issue.

3.5/5
I agree, not a fan of the art, I find myself staring at the panel trying to figure out what is going on too, the pacing was a bit odd, I'm guessing due to the colab, but overall I dug it. X-O is my favorite series right now.

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: V-Diddy
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Sven the Returned »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:There were a couple of pages by Guedes, they were noticeably clearer and I quite liked them.
Does Guedes has a very similar style usually or he imitated the Crain style?

grendeljd
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Sven the Returned wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:There were a couple of pages by Guedes, they were noticeably clearer and I quite liked them.
Does Guedes has a very similar style usually or he imitated the Crain style?
The only similarity is that Guedes was doing painted art pages as well, but I can pick out his style over Crain's a mile away. Definitely clearer detail in his work.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

Guedes is Bueno! :clap:
I loved his work on Superman!
***Support your local farmers!***