Harbinger: Renegade #8

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Harbinger: Renegade #8

Post by jmatt »

Much, much better. I have a feeling that if 7 was read back to back with 8, 7 would be more satisfying than it was on the first read.

Really liked the opening scene with Kris and her parents.

Sunlight on Snow
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Re: Harbinger: Renegade #8

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

This one was okay and better than the previous one. Still no sign of Jay's ability or him trying to find out what it is? Really weird! Harada would have sent him to the Willows already, or worse.

Is Major Palmer having an affair with "Carol" Jardine (Lifeline)?

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

jmatt wrote:Much, much better. I have a feeling that if 7 was read back to back with 8, 7 would be more satisfying than it was on the first read.

Hmm, dangerous to say that anything Harbinger Renegade was anything close to better, but I do agree with what you've posted here. I would interject that reading 5, 7, and 8 together would give you a better feel (maybe). Another question that has bothered some is the Anti-Psiot Tech (be it bomb or other forms). In the eyes of those that have not liked this book, did they do a better job here? There was at least communication with Lifeline, which could lead to some speculation that advancements had been made in HARD Corps abilities (then again, maybe not).

I did enjoy the chess-like movements towards the end of the book, movements that prepare for war. Felt like this issue did leave us with a little build up, a little bit of a rising towards a climax
Moose

TheeBaldMoose

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Sunlight on Snow wrote:This one was okay and better than the previous one. Still no sign of Jay's ability or him trying to find out what it is? Really weird! Harada would have sent him to the Willows already, or worse.

Is Major Palmer having an affair with "Carol" Jardine (Lifeline)?
Wasn't there something there back during the Harbinger Wars set up? I thought there was something there, but I could be wrong. Now I gotta go back and read it over again...
Moose

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

I enjoyed it better than most of the previous issues.
I'm one of the ones that's not been happy about the direction story and art. It's been a huge disappointment so far. Even the hyped up death didn't make me go whoa.
The art is atrocious. Palmer looks really bad when captured by Pete. And the whole crew standing around wile Animalia I guess teaches them how to shoot a gun. That panel the charaters looked so bad. So bad. Faith is changed into a sheet I guess.
Time line?
Is Imperium flowing in parallel to this story?
Ive decided not to drop this title entertimos
2.5 out of 5 perhaps Aric can swoop in and teach them someone has to. Maybe Pete can brain wash a hard Corp or a marine.

I don't care how much training Animalia has. She's a kid and kids don't have the maturity level to be a good Warrior/ fighter.
I Miss the good old days.

TheeBaldMoose

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

nonplayer wrote:I don't care how much training Animalia has. She's a kid and kids don't have the maturity level to be a good Warrior/ fighter.
Um, Spartan children were taken from their parents like around 7 years old and trained to fight. Many boys had their first kill, be it animal or other human by the time they were Animalias age.
Moose

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue, please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr137/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to any who listen in :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

jmatt wrote:Much, much better. I have a feeling that if 7 was read back to back with 8, 7 would be more satisfying than it was on the first read.

I do tend to read the previous issue when reading the new books as I tend to forget sone of the detail so I find it enhances my enjoyment of the books. And yes Jmatt, 7 is better when read with 8. Don't get me wrong, it's still an average read, but it is better.

I recently purchased issues 3-9 of Gen Zero on comiXology sale, and reading those books/characters it struck me that the 'big deaths' in issue 5 of Harby Renegade only really reasonates if you were reading Gen Zero and they were fresher in you mind. If, like me, you'd dropped off Gen Zero after 2 issues then by the time HR #5 rolled around those characters held no emotional connection so the issue fell flat. Odd decision by VEI to structure Harby Renegade in this way as if you were a new reader you'd have zero (no pun intended) clue about the characters who died :?

Back to Harby Renegade 8, the art wasn't great again and the book is suffering as a result.

3/5 - best issue since issue 1

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

This issue had three artist, ugh... facepalm

I agree with everyone else about the flow of things, 5, 7 & 8 are essentially the arc, 6 is not needed...
#StayValiant

Keith
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

Glad to see the Massacre arc end on a strong note. Personally I wish the Alpha one shot would have been slated between #4 and #5 as a #0 issue, and #6 could have then been devoted to more of the fall out from issue #5. But, that’s just me Thursday Morning Quarterbacking.

While I think the Massacre arc will read stronger as a whole than its parts, I must admit that the art was pretty disappointing this issue.
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

mullinsmcd
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me

Post by mullinsmcd »

Between the terrible and inconsistent art, the housecat holding a gun, the bad pacing, this is definitely the lowest part of the whole franchise since 2012 reboot started. With 1 of 2 ongoing comics being this bad, I'm sincerely glad i jumped on the bandwagon in 2015 and not now. I'm just glad that we have approx 6-8 months until Rafer is gone and Kindt and Heisserer are making the Harbinger part of the universe head in the right direction. 1/5 stars

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

mullinsmcd wrote:Between the terrible and inconsistent art, the housecat holding a gun, the bad pacing, this is definitely the lowest part of the whole franchise since 2012 reboot started. With 1 of 2 ongoing comics being this bad, I'm sincerely glad i jumped on the bandwagon in 2015 and not now. I'm just glad that we have approx 6-8 months until Rafer is gone and Kindt and Heisserer are making the Harbinger part of the universe head in the right direction. 1/5 stars
Dead Drop might have an argument for worst books so far :wink: ...and some issues of Shadowman ...there's probably a few other baddies out there too which I've forgotten.

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.

Post by FormerReader »

Ugh.