War Mother #3 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
War Mother #3 Discussion

Post by grendeljd »

No thread for this book yet?

If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue [and Faith & The Future Force #4], please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr139/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to any who listen in :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre
Re: War Mother #3 Discussion

Post by agent_graves »

I originally thought it was cool that Ana could communicate with her rifle, but then someone thought it was a great idea to have her argue with Flaco for the majority of this issue, during a gunfight... facepalm

They call Ana "War Mother",I don't think she's lived up to that title during this mini. Will see how it ends... :?
#StayValiant

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

agent_graves wrote:I originally thought it was cool that Ana could communicate with her rifle, but then someone thought it was a great idea to have her argue with Flaco for the majority of this issue, during a gunfight... facepalm

They call Ana "War Mother",I don't think she's lived up to that title during this mini. Will see how it ends... :?
I gotta agree, that was quite a turn off. I understand the AI learning emotions, but it just seemed too cliche for me, let's argue during a gun fight....

I had higher hopes for this. Too silly, not gritty enough.
Moose

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

I dunno. The argument gave it a new flavor rather than the usual machine gun brawl.

But from a realistic perspective, the issue is almost a case for why having an AI in a weapon is a bad idea. When you need a gun, it should just work. Now, if Flaco had the personality of a grizzled war veteran, that's a benefit. But Ana seems to spend a lot of time training it on the job and babysitting it.

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:
agent_graves wrote:I originally thought it was cool that Ana could communicate with her rifle, but then someone thought it was a great idea to have her argue with Flaco for the majority of this issue, during a gunfight... facepalm

I gotta agree, that was quite a turn off. I understand the AI learning emotions, but it just seemed too cliche for me, let's argue during a gun fight....

I had higher hopes for this. Too silly, not gritty enough.
Agreed. I’m not feeling the whole Flaco vibe, it was cringey in this issue. There’s something in the concept, but as with most of FVL’s Valiant work, good concepts are not translated into end product. facepalm I’d prefer it if FVL provided concepts to Valiant and another writer fleshed it out (and made sure there was no goofy stuff).

What does interest me is what Warmother actually is and also the positronic links to 4001 ad of the black haired kid? Also interesting to me is the blonde haired kid is the son of another woman in the tribe, interesting to see how that plays out.

Not a big fan of Sergovia’s art either. I’d say he was C list in the Valiant stable. It’s more noticeable as De La Torre does a few pages. Shame DLT was’nt drawing the whole series.

3/5 - average read, potential not fulfilled in this series.