War Mother #1 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Thegreatmagnet
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp
War Mother #1 Discussion

Post by Thegreatmagnet »

I threw a little review together in case anyone wants to check it out:

http://www.comicsthegathering.com/revie ... r-mother-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This week's VCR is out, but I don't want to step on Josh's toes...

otomo
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Tomas Giorello
Re: War Mother #1 Discussion

Post by otomo »

Nice review. I was gonna say I didn't really remember War Mother from the 4001 storyline -- but I see there was a one shot side storyline that I'll have to find the issue for. I found a little bit of the world confusing. The "memecasts" (clever name) and all that I wasn't sure what was going on. Perhaps that other one-shot will illuminate things for me.

I did like the character, especially the rifle as you noted, and thought the art was solid. Not a bad premise and the way the issue ended did make me want to read the next one. You called it a 9/10 I'd call it an 8/10 and change. We'll have to see how the rest of the story progresses.
Like XO Manowar or Conan The Barbarian? Check out my new graphic novel, DEUS VULT on IndieGoGo now: Deus Vult: http://igg.me/at/deusvult.

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Found the phrase "Go gentrify somewhere else!" kind of funny...

Isn't that EXACTLY what Ana and her people will be doing?

Especially if you consider those monsters as scavengers, wanting to harvest wanderers robot parts. Doubt they lived there, and if they did, wouldn't that fall even more into my theory regarding Ana and her people?
Moose

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

Thegreatmagnet wrote:I threw a little review together in case anyone wants to check it out:

http://www.comicsthegathering.com/revie ... r-mother-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good call you're already in enough trouble with Sean :lol:

Here I'll do it, VCR BOOM!

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr130/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

hawkeyeps wrote:
Thegreatmagnet wrote:I threw a little review together in case anyone wants to check it out:

Good call you're already in enough trouble with Sean :lol:

Here I'll do it, VCR BOOM!

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr130/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Doing my JORB! :lol:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by pixierosa »

I'm waiting on my review to post on All-Comic. I gave it a 9 out of 10. I love War Mother - she's a great character. Van Lente gave us both a story impetus and added to her personal story (the balance of egos and family in her personal life). You can see how much happier and free she feels while "adventuring", like taking that impossible shot versus having to be the leader of the community.

Notice what was missing in the grove? All of the greenlings. When Sylvan was alive, it looked like they considered themselves above the humans who toiled on the ground. When Sylvan died, did the other greenlings decide to leave the grove? Were they connected to him like the other plants, so his death affected them as well?

Looking forward to the next one.
"Sorry, no. You are absolutely about to pepper spray the wrong guy."

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

It is a bad decision to move your entire group to some new place so quickly. I understand the people wanted to run off but spend the night see if it's alright for a day or two.
Looks like war mother didn't get off being interrupted by weird kid.
What was he doing under the covers.
I Miss the good old days.

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

nonplayer wrote:It is a bad decision to move your entire group to some new place so quickly. I understand the people wanted to run off but spend the night see if it's alright for a day or two.
Looks like war mother didn't get off being interrupted by weird kid.
What was he doing under the covers.
Btw it was good. A great cliff hanger at the end. 3.75 out of 5

Sunlight on Snow

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

Epañolish

Seriously, Valiant, start proofreading your comics. Two issues this week - two stupid typos.

What a wonderful issue.... and then that! facepalm

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

Sunlight on Snow wrote:Epañolish

Seriously, Valiant, start proofreading your comics. Two issues this week - two stupid typos.

What are the typo's?

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Sunlight on Snow wrote:Epañolish

Is it supposed to be Espanholish?

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

Pretty solid start, sex, intrigue, and good art... :thumb:
#StayValiant

Bl00dsh0t
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1 (2012)
Favorite character: Ninjak/Woody
Favorite title: Bloodshot/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Bl00dsh0t »

My LCS had their shipment delayed a week... I was going to trade wait but I've convinced myself to get this after re-reading the 4001 oneshot and reading some of the comments here. :thumb:

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

otomo wrote: I found a little bit of the world confusing.
Yeah, if you haven't read the one-shot then there's a lot to absorb here. The one-shot read that way, too, but at least here you'd have more background and context.

otomo
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Tomas Giorello

Post by otomo »

jmatt wrote:
otomo wrote: I found a little bit of the world confusing.
Yeah, if you haven't read the one-shot then there's a lot to absorb here. The one-shot read that way, too, but at least here you'd have more background and context.
I found the One-Shot in the dollar bin today so this will be remedied :)
Like XO Manowar or Conan The Barbarian? Check out my new graphic novel, DEUS VULT on IndieGoGo now: Deus Vult: http://igg.me/at/deusvult.

hawkeyeps

Post by hawkeyeps »

pixierosa wrote:I'm waiting on my review to post on All-Comic. I gave it a 9 out of 10. I love War Mother - she's a great character. Van Lente gave us both a story impetus and added to her personal story (the balance of egos and family in her personal life). You can see how much happier and free she feels while "adventuring", like taking that impossible shot versus having to be the leader of the community.

Notice what was missing in the grove? All of the greenlings. When Sylvan was alive, it looked like they considered themselves above the humans who toiled on the ground. When Sylvan died, did the other greenlings decide to leave the grove? Were they connected to him like the other plants, so his death affected them as well?

Looking forward to the next one.
I also noticed the lack of blue villagers.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

I've been thinking about this title today. It needs something. The hook, a sentient rifle, is found wanting... it needs to be fleshed out somehow or other. Okay, she has Amazon Echo built into her gun. But there's gotta be more to it.

Other than that, so far it's Mad Max: Fury Road set in a jungle. Yeah, I know it's early. But so far the book concept isn't exactly bowling me over.

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

I thought this was very average. Not a fan of FVL's writing and although the plot is decent the dialogue wasn't great. For example, War Mother explaining she killed the previously leader to the guy was clearly just a way of bringing the reader up to speed but it felt clunky and lazy. Just do stuff like that on the inside cover page recap :?
Also, the smart arse one liners were tedious and Flako the gun's dialogue was...bad facepalm .

Art was ok but unclear what was happening in parts, especially the first few pages when the 2 character were being lowered down in the boiling tub. I had to go back and figure that out. Also the face on Flako (did the gun have a face in the one shot? Can't recall) seemed like it was an adult as on the first page it appeared to have a moustache yet it seems further into the book it's some kind of child? :?

As for editorial bloopers, on page 2 one of the dialogue boxes obscured a key character which seemed unintended?
I took the Españolish to mean a Spanish/English mix but there didn't seem to be much Español going on other than place names?

3/5 for the plot (not the execution)

TheeBaldMoose

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:I thought this was very average. Not a fan of FVL's writing and although the plot is decent the dialogue wasn't great. For example, War Mother explaining she killed the previously leader to the guy was clearly just a way of bringing the reader up to speed but it felt clunky and lazy. Just do stuff like that on the inside cover page recap :?
Also, the smart arse one liners were tedious and Flako the gun's dialogue was...bad facepalm .

Art was ok but unclear what was happening in parts, especially the first few pages when the 2 character were being lowered down in the boiling tub. I had to go back and figure that out. Also the face on Flako (did the gun have a face in the one shot? Can't recall) seemed like it was an adult as on the first page it appeared to have a moustache yet it seems further into the book it's some kind of child? :?

As for editorial bloopers, on page 2 one of the dialogue boxes obscured a key character which seemed unintended?
I took the Españolish to mean a Spanish/English mix but there didn't seem to be much Español going on other than place names?

3/5 for the plot (not the execution)
I thought I saw a Mustache too! How funny!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Moose

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:Also, the smart arse one liners were tedious and Flako the gun's dialogue was...bad facepalm .

Same here.

In a weird way, I would enjoy the book more without Flako. I keep expecting him (it?) to do something as the hook, and it's distracting me that it doesn't. I mean, she's the one who points the grenade out to him. She's the one who makes the "amazing shot" (which I still don't really see) without his assistance.

As it stands now, he's just a sidekick so she can have dialogue when she's out on her own. Perhaps that's all he is meant to be and my expectations are out of whack.

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying it... it's nice to see a new setting for Valiant characters in the future. And the cliffhanger has me interested for the next issue. And those robotic tendrils remind me of ... dare I say it?... Malevs. That would be cool.

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

jmatt wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:Also, the smart arse one liners were tedious and Flako the gun's dialogue was...bad facepalm .

Same here.

In a weird way, I would enjoy the book more without Flako. I keep expecting him (it?) to do something as the hook, and it's distracting me that it doesn't. I mean, she's the one who points the grenade out to him. She's the one who makes the "amazing shot" (which I still don't really see) without his assistance.

As it stands now, he's just a sidekick so she can have dialogue when she's out on her own. Perhaps that's all he is meant to be and my expectations are out of whack.

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying it... it's nice to see a new setting for Valiant characters in the future. And the cliffhanger has me interested for the next issue. And those robotic tendrils remind me of ... dare I say it?... Malevs. That would be cool.
I think flaco aims. I don't see Ana doing any aiming.
The fireworks cought me off guard so I guess flaco is a multi round gun? Energy rounds, bullets, grenades, rockets and fireworks.
I guess it cought me off guard because I didn't see her setting up some ancient fireworks.

TheeBaldMoose

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

nonplayer wrote:
jmatt wrote:

Same here.

I think flaco aims. I don't see Ana doing any aiming.
The fireworks cought me off guard so I guess flaco is a multi round gun? Energy rounds, bullets, grenades, rockets and fireworks.
I guess it cought me off guard because I didn't see her setting up some ancient fireworks.
I get what everyone here is saying, but I saw it a little differently.

Ana was teaching his "War Son" how to shoot, aim, etc. From the beginning, she says "tell me what you see", and he only saw the big picture, something he really couldn't do much about. She corrects him" No, that's whats happening", and then she points the gun and asks again. I saw this similar to a lioness teaching her cub how to hunt. The weapon seems to have the attitude of a small child, and you can see that when he gets excited that he sees the grenades.

There are other parts where I whole heartedly agree with you though. the "are you happy" bit towards the end, I could have done without. If he is to act like a child throughout the comic, let him stay a child, although I will say the psychology of single children (ones without siblings) do tend to have adult conversations early in life, but now I'm getting too deep.

Still, loved the book, happy she is back!
Moose

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:Ana was teaching his "War Son" how to shoot, aim, etc. From the beginning, she says "tell me what you see", and he only saw the big picture, something he really couldn't do much about. She corrects him" No, that's whats happening", and then she points the gun and asks again. I saw this similar to a lioness teaching her cub how to hunt. The weapon seems to have the attitude of a small child, and you can see that when he gets excited that he sees the grenades.
Hmm. I never quite looked at Flaco like that. I'll keep it in mind going forward. My impression from the one-off was that he had a mature personality. Thanks for the perspective.

FlipMega
Valiant fan since: Ninjak vol. 1 #23
Favorite title: Harbinger, Imperium, Divinity
Favorite artist: Hairsine, Suayan, LaRosa

Post by FlipMega »

After reading through the responses here, I had to go back and read the 4001 one-shot again as well.

Moose is spot on regarding the personality/emotional intelligence of Flaco. In 4001 Ana specifically states that she always wipes his memory after each mission and so effectively he is learning everything for the first time, every time. Hence the coaching dialogue we see here. Definitely wanting more from Flaco as well, JMatt

I do love the idea of this character and this world, but I too feel like it is lacking some catch, some substance. I dont have a ton of FVL experience as I am not really attracted to A&A, but I agree with some of the detraction here. The dialogue is a little too kitchy at times and doesnt really pace well in this world (for me). Also agree it feels a little rushed a gappy. A lot of first issues suffer from this as the writer tries to get people up to speed quickly but this feels different. The 4001 issue has similar problems but its largely in the latter frames.

All said, I am intrigued and I want it to be good so I will read it until it isnt :)

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

FlipMega wrote:After reading through the responses here, I had to go back and read the 4001 one-shot again as well.

Moose is spot on regarding the personality/emotional intelligence of Flaco. In 4001 Ana specifically states that she always wipes his memory after each mission and so effectively he is learning everything for the first time, every time. Hence the coaching dialogue we see here. Definitely wanting more from Flaco as well, JMatt

I do love the idea of this character and this world, but I too feel like it is lacking some catch, some substance. I dont have a ton of FVL experience as I am not really attracted to A&A, but I agree with some of the detraction here. The dialogue is a little too kitchy at times and doesnt really pace well in this world (for me). Also agree it feels a little rushed a gappy. A lot of first issues suffer from this as the writer tries to get people up to speed quickly but this feels different. The 4001 issue has similar problems but its largely in the latter frames.

All said, I am intrigued and I want it to be good so I will read it until it isnt :)
If your a knight and go into battles and your wepon had to re learn how to swing and how to be sharp and you and your whepon get better and better. why would you wipe it each time.
I hope that's not the case.
Do you wipe your sons memory? if it's a mother son relationship there would be no wiping of memories.
Imagin if xo ManOwar suit had to re learn each time Aric put it on.