Divinity #0 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

WhoDoo
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Valiant fan since: XO 90's Zero issue
Favorite character: Pete
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: LaRosa and Mico
Re: Divinity #0 Discussion

Post by WhoDoo »

Thought it was a very well done book. Was upset they changed the Art team for one book, but was happy they did it. This was a great depiction of what Divinity sees.

It was interesting seeing the parallel with Bloodshot Reborn 0 and now this 0, with both having children.

Does this allude to the reason why Aric is on planet Gorin?
It just says he is out of place, but not directly that it was due to Stalinverse.

tell

Post by tell »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:
tell wrote:...Whatever Pioneer is guarding I don't think it's the Alpha. In her story in the Gulag backup it says her people guard some ancient thing from the Deadside. I'd think it more likely that whatever she guards would be tied into Rapture or the upcoming Shadowman...
Interesting, something I never picked up on! With that thought process, would Alpha be dead now? I guess a Psyot can extend their lives, Harada looks like he is still in his 40's, yet has to be in his late 80's. But would Alpha be able to extend his life a thousand years? If Alpha IS dead, maybe this idea still comes into play that Pioneer is guarding a door that only Alpha can get through? Dunno, just a simple brainstorm.
Some psiots can extend their lives and/or lengthened lifespan comes along with some psiot's power. I never considered that Alpha could be dead, just that he had some psionic immortality thing going on, but I suppose there's the chance.

I'm not sure what to think of Harada's physical age, he turns himself old when it is to his advantage and I'm pretty sure when he goes unconscious. I thought for a long time that he uses his power to physically change his body to be younger, but I guess he could also be projecting a shell around himself like Torque and Animalia. Is he truly aging normally in some way? We know he lives for hundreds of years according to the BOD, so when he's in his 200s or whatever will he risk turning into a crumbling ancient body and dying if he gets knocked out?

On the Pioneer question my guess is that if Matt Kindt is announced as the writer of Shadowman we will find out about Pioneer in that series.

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

tell wrote:
TheeBaldMoose wrote:
tell wrote:...Whatever Pioneer is guarding I don't think it's the Alpha. In her story in the Gulag backup it says her people guard some ancient thing from the Deadside. I'd think it more likely that whatever she guards would be tied into Rapture or the upcoming Shadowman...
Interesting, something I never picked up on! With that thought process, would Alpha be dead now? I guess a Psyot can extend their lives, Harada looks like he is still in his 40's, yet has to be in his late 80's. But would Alpha be able to extend his life a thousand years? If Alpha IS dead, maybe this idea still comes into play that Pioneer is guarding a door that only Alpha can get through? Dunno, just a simple brainstorm.
Some psiots can extend their lives and/or lengthened lifespan comes along with some psiot's power. I never considered that Alpha could be dead, just that he had some psionic immortality thing going on, but I suppose there's the chance.

I'm not sure what to think of Harada's physical age, he turns himself old when it is to his advantage and I'm pretty sure when he goes unconscious. I thought for a long time that he uses his power to physically change his body to be younger, but I guess he could also be projecting a shell around himself like Torque and Animalia. Is he truly aging normally in some way? We know he lives for hundreds of years according to the BOD, so when he's in his 200s or whatever will he risk turning into a crumbling ancient body and dying if he gets knocked out?

On the Pioneer question my guess is that if Matt Kindt is announced as the writer of Shadowman we will find out about Pioneer in that series.
Utilizing the BoD book, even Peter comes back significantly aged, If Harada is in his 200's in that book, would Peter be in his 150ish age? Still, could a Psyot utilize his powers and live 1000 years? Say he could live that long, what or WHO would keep him contained for that long? Guess we will find out more in Harbinger Renegade #7, lots and lots of answers coming in that book!

Getting back to the original statement, I agree that if Kindt does write Shadowman, we will soon find out. I'm going to guess that he won't simply because he will be neck deep in HW2 around that time.
Moose

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Enjoyable issue and tremendous art (although some panels took extra effort to figure out what was happening). Enjoyed the Ninjak sequence where he changes for direction of the bullet. For me the most interesting (and still unanswered) question is why Aric left earth? Given Kindt wrotes both Divinity and XO it felt this interaction had extra significance, than say if another writer was just including other characters for the sake of it.

4/5 - :thumb:

Keith
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

An alternative theory around Divinity's reaction to Aric being on Gorin could be boiled down to just that Aric leaving was as much a surprise to Abram as it is to everyone else. Aric left and no one realized it till way later, some sooner than others.

Kazmir' efforts to alter reality and create the Stalinverse included returning some missing characters (I.e. Aric and possibly Peter Stanchek) to Earth, something that was the reset after the Stalinverse ended. I can imagine Divinity thinking "all back to normal... hey, wait... where's X-O?"

Abram has god-like powers, but he is certainly not omniscient or omnipresent. While he has certainly demonstrated those abilities like that, they almost seem contextual in nature. So he can be caught unawares or surprised by events, such as Myshka informing him of the baby.
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

Big Red
Valiant fan since: Before the Anni-Padda...
Favorite character: Divinity, X-O, & Bloodshot
Favorite title: Divinity
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine

Post by Big Red »

Excellent issue.

I think that Divinity has now become my favorite Valiant character.
Favorite books: Black Hammer, Bloodshot, Divinity, Justice League Dark, Marvel Two-In-One, Thor.