Secret Weapons #1 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Secret Weapons #1 Discussion

Post by grendeljd »

If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue [and XO Manowar (vol.2) #4], please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr122/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to any who listen in :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really
Re: Secret Weapons #1 Discussion

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Loved this book, and I loved that not everything was spoiled by the sneak peaks and the massive push on social media!

To me, this book started off just like a summer block-buster, every time it switched to a different character, it just seemed to flow perfectly, like a movie.

All the extras too, great fun!
Moose

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

then, there is this guy...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SECRET-WEAPONS- ... SwAO9ZVPcF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Moose

Joshua
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot 1
Favorite character: Probably Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath Of The Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: Ryp

Post by Joshua »

This has been such a hard book to not talk about for two months(review copy) but I am glad it is out. I've not been a fan of Raul Allen/Patricia Martin on covers but their interiors are so fabulous. Just a perfect story. I am glad that the action happens fast in this one, too.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

A good kickoff to the series. As I recall, Amanda was an orphan too, yes? I guess technically, these kids aren't orphans but they were abandoned by Toyo.

Nicole certainly is acrobatic for someone that doesn't have it as a psiot skill. But for all we know she was a gymnast or something, too.

My one peeve is the manner in which Livewire's gun assembles itself around her forearm. Being a technopath is one thing. Being able to make parts telekinetically fly about and assemble themselves is something different. I would rather that she had a gadget on her wrist that she could make unfold to its full size a little better.

Great issue!

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

jmatt wrote:A good kickoff to the series. As I recall, Amanda was an orphan too, yes? I guess technically, these kids aren't orphans but they were abandoned by Toyo.

Nicole certainly is acrobatic for someone that doesn't have it as a psiot skill. But for all we know she was a gymnast or something, too.

My one peeve is the manner in which Livewire's gun assembles itself around her forearm. Being a technopath is one thing. Being able to make parts telekinetically fly about and assemble themselves is something different. I would rather that she had a gadget on her wrist that she could make unfold to its full size a little better.

Great issue!
Nice observation. it didnt bother me till you said that. I'm just happy we got to finally see gun hands.
I Miss the good old days.

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

This was really character driven, emotionally heavy, and a joy to read... :thumb:

I like Nikki, she's the glue...

Owen is comic relief, unintentionally...

Martin is big, but seems like he would be scared of his own shadow, his powers don't help his confidence either...

Avi appears in the next issue, I'm curious to see what f'up powers he got...

Well written with amazing art/colors, what's not to love*...

*Ok, Rex-O gets no love, I'm hoping he's just first up...
#StayValiant

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

Can anyone explain the last scene did that happen before the pool scene or after. What's with the clock?
The reason I think it might be after is because the light guy has his bat in one piece. Rexo chopped it in half in the pool scene but at the end last panel it's fixed.
Any thoughts guys..
Who's the dead guy?
I Miss the good old days.

tell
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by tell »

Who's the dead guy?
They say at the beginning there were 6 psiots living at the facility. 4 are the stars of this book, one named Sophia has been killed by Rex-o and since Martin went to see Travis the dead guy I'm guessing he is the sixth.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

nonplayer wrote:I'm just happy we got to finally see gun hands.
Yes, its been a long time coming.

The dead guy could be his cousin, perhaps he went back to crash there. But more than likely the sixth psiot.

I'm also interested to know who the woman behind the blood bath procedure is. That's the big question.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

I think the angle with this book is to demonstrate that the odd abilities each of the characters have, when used by (or in conjunction with) other members of the team, will make for inventive ways for them to reach a successful solution.

Owen whips up a useless umbrella... but Nikki uses it to reach the fire escape ladder to aid their escape. Clever. And I like clever in my comic books.

Which is kind of a twist on the term "secret weapons": At any given moment, they're not sure how their talents will assist them in their quests and battles. So their "weapons" are "secret"... even to themselves!

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Really enjoyed this issue, great art and interesting characters. Stylish design on the clothes too! This book definitely lived up to the long build up.

Couple of minor gripes, Harada's character seemed unusually harsh, he's usually a slicker communicator than that? :? Also the racial diversity of the team seems a bit contrived, like one of those Benetton adverts from years ago. That said, they seem interesting enough after issue 1.

Listening to OTV it appears that a major error was made with one of Rexo's lines, it translates as 'yeah whatevs' (or something like that) but it should have said something about Nikki's threat level being upgraded. Not great editing facepalm

Enjoyable issue 4.5/5 - looking forward to issue 2 :thumb:

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

Wasn't a fan of the art in the glance I took at the prevs, but when I read this, it actually felt "cool" and different. The writing was great, and actually surprised me on how much fun there's to have with weirdly powered Psiots- cool characters, cool concept and Very cool to see Livewire being the maternal figure to these rejects. I loved her here, and I'm pretty nitpicky about how she is portrayed outside of the (now classic) Harbinger run by Dysart.

Completely surprised by how much I enjoyed this. One of the best books of the month, for sure.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Manaf82
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2010
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Manaf82 »

jmatt wrote:I think the angle with this book is to demonstrate that the odd abilities each of the characters have, when used by (or in conjunction with) other members of the team, will make for inventive ways for them to reach a successful solution.

Owen whips up a useless umbrella... but Nikki uses it to reach the fire escape ladder to aid their escape. Clever. And I like clever in my comic books.

Which is kind of a twist on the term "secret weapons": At any given moment, they're not sure how their talents will assist them in their quests and battles. So their "weapons" are "secret"... even to themselves!
I think owen manifests objects which he might need in the future..He manifested a gun long before he needed it with Rexo..Then the umbrella which became useful later as well..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Feel my "SQUEEING SQUEE"

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: V-Diddy
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Sven the Returned »

Nice to see something set in Oklahoma City instead of the usual locations.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Sven the Returned wrote:Nice to see something set in Oklahoma City instead of the usual locations.
That's a good point, although as I recall, some character (Ninjak?) gets snarky about going there.