Rapture #2 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Rapture #2 Discussion

Post by grendeljd »

If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue [and Britainnia: WWAATD #3], please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr121/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to any who listen in :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Re: Rapture #2 Discussion

Post by jmatt »

As I was doing a quick reread of last issue, I again noticed that at the pinnacle of the Babel Tower is the Ouroubourus symbol we've seen before, most notably in AA: the story of the origin of The Boon. Not sure if it means anything.

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

I really like the way Jack is being written here, I'm seeing some progression... :thumb:
#StayValiant

Brapbrap
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Sunlight On Snow
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Raul Allen

Post by Brapbrap »

is he trying to get to lyceum?

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

A decent mini series so far, enjoyable story and solid art. I actually think the Magpie re-design of Shadowman should be the permanent costume, it's so much better than the previous one.

agent_graves

Post by agent_graves »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:A decent mini series so far, enjoyable story and solid art. I actually think the Magpie re-design of Shadowman should be the permanent costume, it's so much better than the previous one.
+1
#StayValiant

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:A decent mini series so far, enjoyable story and solid art. I actually think the Magpie re-design of Shadowman should be the permanent costume, it's so much better than the previous one.
I agree.

Sunlight on Snow

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

Great issue but....

For a moment I thought what's Ninjak doing with Jack's bindings!?!

Based on the narrative (Ninjak) at the end of the Operation Deadside arc I was expecting the bindings to re-appear once Jack aka the Magpie is entering the Deadside again but now they're still gone... except for the covers. I know his main trouble is controlling or being overwhelmed by his loa but I still find it weird that the bindings aren't there anymore at all. Am I missing something?

grendeljd
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

jmatt wrote:
I agree.
Me too. Even without the binding ropes, I think it looks really cool. Shadowman is a supernatural character, he doesn't need to look like a superhero in tights.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sunlight on Snow

grendeljd wrote:
jmatt wrote:
I agree.
Me too. Even without the binding ropes, I think it looks really cool. Shadowman is a supernatural character, he doesn't need to look like a superhero in tights.
He looks scary cool in the bindings-less Magpie outfit.

Question is why are the binding already gone?

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Sunlight on Snow wrote:Question is why are the binding already gone?
If memory serves, I believe at the end of the Ninjak in Deadside arc, it was explained that the bindings were psychosomatic: The existed because he believed he was bound. Or something like that.

Yes, it was a super disappointing cop-out.

Thread about it here.

agent_graves

Post by agent_graves »

Yup, the end of Operation Deadside wrapped up that plot thread. He's free from the bindings, but I think they should have kept the ropes anyway. In darkness, if all you seen coming was the glowing ropes, that'd be pretty frightening. But overall, ropes or not, I still like the Magpie look much better...
#StayValiant

Sunlight on Snow

I thought it was because of being a psychosomatic thing the bindings and ropes would re-occur when going back to the Deadside and that this was the reason for his initial reaction and denial. All the more confusing the ropes are still there on each and every single cover with Jack in it. Makes no sense! As if the cover artists didn't get the memo. It is really weird to read the final pages of Rapture #1 with the group returning to the Deadside and see Jack rope-less. Then turn the page and the ropes are still there on the teaser page and regular cover for the next issue.

The difference between status quo and cover art aside I think either way -bindings/ropes re-occurring or gone for good- there's a missed opportunity! With them gone (for good?) Jack should have said something about being relieved, confused, or surprised.

Well, at least Jack breaks his silence when telling Babel to stop messing with him while ripping out one of the Bereaver's tongue. Based on the low level of "glow" in Babel's eyes he seemed to be pretty impressed (and scared) too.

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

"Rapture #2 is very well conceived and executed. It signifies a noticeable center-stage return for Shadowman, and also a significant expansion of the Deadside and spiritual world of the Valiant Universe. Visually stunning and thought-provoking. Not to be missed."

http://all-comic.com/2017/rapture-2/

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

This continues to deliver great comic book fun. Maybe it can turn out to be one of the best VEI events, I certainly am hyped for the rest.
Loved Rex, again, and his backstory; all the characters had something cool to say, even Mambo; the best moment, though, was seeing Jack kicking *SQUEE*. Long time, man! I hope that the mini will put Shadowman in a place where I want to read his book.
Great fun, and the promise of a Tolkienesque event has been kept- this feels epic, indeed. :thumb:
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo