XO Manowar [2017] #3 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Sunlight on Snow
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Re: XO Manowar [2017] #3 Discussion

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

Another fantastic yet slightly less brutal issue!

I don't really understand what's taking him so long to call for Shanhara's help though. :lol:

Gafti
Account inactive by user's request
Valiant fan since: March 2017
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: Cafu +All of them are amazing

Post by Gafti »

The significance of the Shanhara ring is really interesting to me. Seems like in every issue the ring is prominently placed in a panel or two, but we have not seen Aric "use" it yet.
What is the purpose of the ring, and is it helping him get through these battles?
Stay Valiant

Sunlight on Snow

Gafti wrote:The significance of the Shanhara ring is really interesting to me. Seems like in every issue the ring is prominently placed in a panel or two, but we have not seen Aric "use" it yet.
What is the purpose of the ring, and is it helping him get through these battles?
It's a device for remote control and communication. The "history lesson" in the first four pages of this issue... that is Shanhara talking to Aric which is why he shuts her (the armor) down with "Enough! I did not ask for a history lesson." It's a little bit awkward because it's not quite clear whether only Aric can hear Shanhara's voice or the others, too? However, the more interesting part is Shanhara may have started the rather one-sided communication.

The ring can also transform into a weapon. At the end of issue #2 Aric uses the ring to form a flame-based spear (without actually wearing the armor); brilliantly visualized by Giorello.

Gafti
Account inactive by user's request
Valiant fan since: March 2017
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: Cafu +All of them are amazing

Post by Gafti »

Wow I need to go back and look at that. Totally missed it.
I actually thought it was one of his crew giving the history lesson.
Stay Valiant

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Sunlight on Snow wrote:
Gafti wrote:The significance of the Shanhara ring is really interesting to me. Seems like in every issue the ring is prominently placed in a panel or two, but we have not seen Aric "use" it yet.
It's a device for remote control and communication. The "history lesson" in the first four pages of this issue... that is Shanhara talking to Aric which is why he shuts her (the armor) down with "Enough! I did not ask for a history lesson." It's a little bit awkward because it's not quite clear whether only Aric can hear Shanhara's voice or the others, too? However, the more interesting part is Shanhara may have started the rather one-sided communication.

The ring can also transform into a weapon. At the end of issue #2 Aric uses the ring to form a flame-based spear (without actually wearing the armor); brilliantly visualized by Giorello.
Good catch! I wondered who was doing the explaining in the opening scenes! I had to look back at issue 2 to try and figure it out (which I couldn't). But if it was the armour then that makes sense. Presumably only Aric could hear it or else the others would have remarked upon it?

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:Good catch! I wondered who was doing the explaining in the opening scenes!
I assumed it was one of his comrades. The panel where we see it's the ring is so closeup that I missed it, just kinda glossed right over it.

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

I also assumed it was one of his comrades, as no one questioned his outburst, not even an odd look of WTF.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Moose

Sunlight on Snow

In the first panel of page 5 the speech bubble clearly comes from the ring hence it's Shanhara talking to Aric and giving him the history lesson and it explains Aric's reaction. Besides the speech bubbles have the same style of the speech bubbles that have been used for Shanhara's voice in the first two issues, too.
TheeBaldMoose wrote:I also assumed it was one of his comrades, as no one questioned his outburst, not even an odd look of WTF.
I guess to his comrades Aric is the crazy stranger (alien) from Urth anyway.

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

This series is not doing its job when it comes to keeping me interested. I mean, I am liking it, but when I was starting to read this issue, I had 0 idea on where I was. Did not remember perhaps 75% of the storyline.
That said, it is a good read and the artwork is mindblowing. Fantastic job on that area. I just do not care that much for this story, I think. :|
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo