Savage #4 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium
Savage #4 Discussion

Post by DirtbagSailor »

"Savage is an outstanding mini-series that captures the most primal instincts and savagery of humanity in conflict with nature, mankind, and itself..."

http://all-comic.com/2017/savage-4/

DirtbagSailor
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium
Re: Savage #4 Discussion

Post by DirtbagSailor »

“He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster.
And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee.”

―Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

A good, if not a little predictable, wrap-up. I'm interested to see what they do with the character back in the real world.

And while the characters are speaking different languages, apparently they can understand each other nonetheless. That's a new detail for The Faraway.

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Phoenix8008 »

Anybody else think that looked like Times Square he landed in after coming through the portal?
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

Phoenix8008 wrote:Anybody else think that looked like Times Square he landed in after coming through the portal?
Yes, but only because we don't easily recognize London without Big Ben and double-decker buses. :D

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue [and Gen. Zero #7], please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr104/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to any who listen in :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

grendeljd wrote:If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue [and Gen. Zero #7], please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr104/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to any who listen in :thumb:
Seanatron :high-five: :cloud9:
I Miss the good old days.

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

If you look at the writing it looks Russian to me. But the buildings on the left look London - ish but the center back ground looks new yorkish. It's had to figure out but my feeling is it's London.
The fight scene at the end bothered me a minute amount.
It doesn't make sence logically. One scene the guy is being attacked by savage then he's the attacker they switch sides the portal being the deciphering factor. Then the portal falls savage runs passed the guy then the next shot the guys turned around. Didn't the big bad guy have the soccer necklace. When he's dead on the ground I was expecting to see it. Re read needed.
In Turok Dinosaur Hunter almost every single fight scenes can be perfectly coryograhed to the point of re enactment. It's not a big deal and I can over look it but it does bother me.
I really enjoyed savage.
I Miss the good old days.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Yeah, I though somewhere in England, too. Not sure why.

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Nice wrap to an excellent mini-series. Really looking forward to what Valiant do with this character next. Larosa's art is simply on another level! When it switches to Henry's art the enjoyment level drops down a notch, not to say Henry's art is bad it's just more standard.

Interesting that the main bad guy switched to speaking English in the last few pages, clearly both Savage and he are bi-lingual.

I think he arrives in London too. As Greg said, the absence of the usual obligatory Big Ben, double decker buses (I'll add Punks and Bobbies to that list too) etc meant it wasn't as clear but that's what my money is on.

4/5 for this issue

5/5 for the series :thumb:

Hope Larosa is on whatever comes next for Savage! :hope:

Sunlight on Snow

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

Really like this issue especially the art and that final scene by Larosa. I wonder how the people will react to Savage appearing out of nowhere with a dead body and the murder weapon in his hands? The scene is similar to Aric landing at he Coliseum in Rome and he wasn't welcomed with open arms either. Will Savage be the hunted one or the hunter? What will his agenda be like? This is going to be very interesting.
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:Hope Larosa is on whatever comes next for Savage! :hope:
Definitely! After that final scene it would be a huge disappointment not to have Larosa back on Savage2.

LONDON
It's the Piccadilly Circus in London with its giant billboards. Interestingly, the lights are currently turned off the main billboard as it is under reconstruction.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Chiming in again on a VCR podcast observation about the panel that is half LaRosa and half Henry. I totally missed that small nuance about the transition from his past to his present. Great stuff! Thanks for pointing it out!

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

jmatt wrote:Chiming in again on a VCR podcast observation about the panel that is half LaRosa and half Henry. I totally missed that small nuance about the transition from his past to his present. Great stuff! Thanks for pointing it out!
Thanks for listening :thumb:

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

This was fun and it kicked a** in the art dept. I have 0 idea on where this happened, and what is it with those dudes in there waiting for junk and peeps to come out of the portal. Are they natives?
The last panel was mandatory I guess- let's see where young KJ will stick his claws next- pun intended and on that, jeeezez, there were some great "Valiant deaths" here. :o Hardcore stuff.

I hope there's a big, Big plan for both Savage and Antonius from Britannia, because while these out-of-the-universe tales are real good, I'm here for the shared universe part.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Sunlight on Snow

ShadowTuga wrote:This was fun and it kicked a** in the art dept. I have 0 idea on where this happened, and what is it with those dudes in there waiting for junk and peeps to come out of the portal. Are they natives?
The last panel was mandatory I guess- let's see where young KJ will stick his claws next- pun intended and on that, jeeezez, there were some great "Valiant deaths" here. :o Hardcore stuff.

I hope there's a big, Big plan for both Savage and Antonius from Britannia, because while these out-of-the-universe tales are real good, I'm here for the shared universe part.
They all got stranded on the island. The only natives seem to be the dinosaurs unless they had also gotten stranded there a long time ago.

The boy's in the middle of London now. He won't go unnoticed by the agencies (MI-6). Question is how will they react and will Sauvage be able to adjust to a normal life or continue being "savage"?

Britannia - Antonius Axia will meet the Anni-Paddas (or Aric) at some point. :hope:

Gilad would be a damn good gladiator... he who is about to die!

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

The art was great throughout, but the story left a lot to be desired. :?
#StayValiant

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
Valiant fan since: 1992

Post by possumgrease »

I enjoyed this, but the entire mini seemed like it would have made a great oversized 1st issue.

Bkbboy
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me
Valiant fan since: 2015
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: The Valiant
Favorite artist: Patrick Zircher
Savage #4 Discussion

Post by Bkbboy »

possumgrease wrote:I enjoyed this, but the entire mini seemed like it would have made a great oversized 1st issue.
Totally agreed-you nailed what my main issue with it was but I couldn't put my finger on it :) I enjoyed it overall but I did think it felt pretty thin, even at just 4 issues. I would've probably ended up LOVING it if it had been released as an oversized one shot.
Life, uh, finds a way.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

It was slow, but that gave more time for the art to breathe. With four issues, they should have had a scene where Savage comes across something that is left unexplained for the mini as a plot device for some future day when he perhaps returns.

Yes, the time-arc or portal is certainly unexplained, but we readers have already seen such in the Valiant universe and its purpose in the story is obvious. Some gizmo or mysterious totem or unexplored cave...

Sunlight on Snow

jmatt wrote:It was slow, but that gave more time for the art to breathe. With four issues, they should have had a scene where Savage comes across something that is left unexplained for the mini as a plot device for some future day when he perhaps returns.

Yes, the time-arc or portal is certainly unexplained, but we readers have already seen such in the Valiant universe and its purpose in the story is obvious. Some gizmo or mysterious totem or unexplored cave...
What about the soccer necklace that can't be seen in the final scene anymore?

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Sunlight on Snow wrote:What about the soccer necklace that can't be seen in the final scene anymore?
Not quite what I had in mind because they brought it there with them, and apart from not being seen in the last panel, it's really just a necklace.

But in reviewing those final pages, I just had a thought. That portal is pretty sizable. And now at ground level, propped upright somewhat. I suppose some of the island wildlife could eventually check it out and fall through, too...

Sunlight on Snow

jmatt wrote:
Sunlight on Snow wrote:What about the soccer necklace that can't be seen in the final scene anymore?
Not quite what I had in mind because they brought it there with them, and apart from not being seen in the last panel, it's really just a necklace.
The framed family photo, his father's football jersey, and the necklace are the only three mementos from his parents and all of them still seem to be on the island. The kid jumped through the portal to go back home although he doesn't even know England. Perhaps the big dude was right when telling the kid the island was his home? The people in London won't welcome him with open arms. They will fear him. And there's only one way how MI-6 would believe and need the kid....
jmatt wrote:But in reviewing those final pages, I just had a thought. That portal is pretty sizable. And now at ground level, propped upright somewhat. I suppose some of the island wildlife could eventually check it out and fall through, too...
:thumb: Some of the raptors could jump through the portal, too, and wreak havoc in the middle of London. :popcorn:

otomo
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Tomas Giorello

Post by otomo »

Just read this earlier tonight, had the first couple issues of the series but my LCS didn't have 3-4 and I found them at a differnt shop. REALLY fast read. Beautiful art, I like the style.

I actually just read the original tarzan book a couple months ago, and that was fresh in my head. This had a very Tarzan start to it, including the death of the parents when he was young, minus the apes raising him and adding dinosaurs and weird biker punk dudes. It was obviously a lot darker and more graphic than Tarzan violence wise.

Its was very fun, and I think it was an excellent start to a series... the ending page really was such a cliffhanger though. I know it says Savage will return but this definitely had a "chapter one" feel to the point where I don't think it was right to end it there. :).

A little overly-decompressed, but a nice story.
Like XO Manowar or Conan The Barbarian? Check out my new graphic novel, DEUS VULT on IndieGoGo now: Deus Vult: http://igg.me/at/deusvult.

otomo
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Tomas Giorello

Post by otomo »

possumgrease wrote:I enjoyed this, but the entire mini seemed like it would have made a great oversized 1st issue.
And yes, this says it better than I did :)
Like XO Manowar or Conan The Barbarian? Check out my new graphic novel, DEUS VULT on IndieGoGo now: Deus Vult: http://igg.me/at/deusvult.

Bl00dsh0t
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1 (2012)
Favorite character: Ninjak/Woody
Favorite title: Bloodshot/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Bl00dsh0t »

I read the trade not long along and it's a very quick read yet pretty enjoyable. I wish there was something from Valiant which talks to a new mini/one-shot/character appearance coming soon somewhere given the way it ended. It kinda leaves us in limbo...