Savage #3 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium
Savage #3 Discussion

Post by DirtbagSailor »

"Savage is simply the best mystical island infested with meat-eating dinosaurs and opposing factions of ruthless killer humans trying to survive while dealing with mysterious dimensional portals in the jungle stories in print today! There is absolutely zero reason not to be reading Valiant Entertainment’s Savage."

http://all-comic.com/2017/savage-3/

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character
Re: Savage #3 Discussion

Post by greg »

You seem sure about that... which other mystical island infested with meat-eating dinosaurs and opposing factions of ruthless killer humans trying to survive while dealing with mysterious dimensional portals in the jungle stories comics does Savage compete against?

:)

DirtbagSailor
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Oh, I'm sure. :lol:

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue [and Divinity III #2, and Bloodshot USA #4], please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr101/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to any who listen in :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Keith
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

Best issue yet! Still not 100% convinced they're in the Faraway, but it seems more and more likely.
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Fanasic art as always on this series - Clayton Henry is great, and I absolutely love Lewis Larosa's work in this issue. The incredibly dynamic poses, the sequential layouts [particularly when he overlaps panels and also has figures pop out of the panel borders], the attention to little details [the dude with the key chain nipple rings :lol: ], the *astounding* rendering of light & shadow... gah! Reber did a brilliant job of colouring over him too.

I'm loving the mood and atmosphere of the story, and the pace in which it is told adds a lot of emotional impact to the events . Has the vibe of the tv show LOST.

Very cool to see that there is indeed a stationary portal somewhere nearby - this in addition to the previous revelation that some of the water was actually glass in places is a definite confirmation that they have been transported to The Faraway, and arent just stranded on a weird island on Earth.

My only real criticism of this series so far is that there isnt a ton of substance to it. It tends to be a quick read overall & despite the great atmosphere of it all, not much is really happening. I'm not entirely sure why its taking Kevin jr. so long to go after the group of savages hanging out around that portal. I mean, I get that he was a lost kid growing up, was probably scared & also was following his mothers teaching to not engage or be seen until he learned over time to fight, but still - it just seems like a lot of years have passed since his mother was shot.

And I hate to say this, but it didn't make a lot of sense that those guys killed her like that. Not that I want to see it happen, but a good looking woman on an island full of male brutes... I guess it was a blessing that she was shot.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

I was disappointed to see a portal. I said to my self O look Magic :!: unless it's explained why portal exist and what purpose the far away is it's magic and a cop out. And if you can just walk through it what's stopping everyone else of the group just fing off back home. why stay with a guy who kills pretty girls everyone in the sick and twisted group could enjoy and steals your meal. It was good not much Dino fighting nice to see the kid can talk and isn't feral.
If you make a shelter on a beach your compleatly stupid. Beaches are the best hub for resources and food and a shelter like that would be spotted a mile away. It's surprising to me that the savages survived that long un discovered
I Miss the good old days.

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by pixierosa »

Really liked this issue. I expect that we will discover that they can't go back through the portal - otherwise sooner or later someone there would defy the big dude and leap through. Like grendel, I was fearful that his mom's fate would be uglier - glad they didn't go that route, but I don't think that's the way it would have happened in real life.

Those men are truly beasts - the way they went all 2001 monolith beatdown on that motorcycle rider. They're basically waiting for the portal to bring them stuff and people. Judging by the skulls in the van, they've killed plenty over the years. Interesting that they bury their own tribe and use markers. Any thoughts on the flaying and spreading of her bones? Why spread her bones? And flaying? Do you think they cannibalized her?

As soon as she died, I knew they took him into the tribe. It's the only explanation for how he survived this long and for his hunting skills. He must have known they killed his mother. I'm guessing he went along with them for survival purposes. Hopefully next we'll find out why and when he broke away from them - was there another event or did he just feel he was finally capable? I'm curious about that group dynamic as well. Was the core group together when they ended up there, as part of a unit or gang of some sort? The seem to have a hierarchy - it may have been in place prior to their arrival. They're not speaking English.

Gorgeous art as usual. I think Lewis upped his game even more this issue. Clayton always does a good job as well.
"Sorry, no. You are absolutely about to pepper spray the wrong guy."

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

grendeljd wrote:My only real criticism of this series so far is that there isnt a ton of substance to it. It tends to be a quick read overall & despite the great atmosphere of it all, not much is really happening.
I'll agree with all of your accolades, the book is terrific. But I will agree with this point somewhat. It does seem to be taking its time getting where it's going.

And yeah. While it's unlikely, I'm glad Mom met with a swift end.

Brapbrap
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Sunlight On Snow
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Raul Allen

Post by Brapbrap »

nonplayer wrote:I was disappointed to see a portal. I said to my self O look Magic :!: unless it's explained why portal exist and what purpose the far away is it's magic and a cop out.
its a timearc, they are in the faraway

kevinbastos
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody

Post by kevinbastos »

Impressed with the entirety of the story. Knocking it out of the park.

Think the best things coming out of Valiant right now are these tangential characters. Divinity (not Solar) and Savage (not Turok).
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Really enjoyed this issue, art and story blend perfectly. The low sales on this mini series is criminal given the quality of the whole package!!

Very sad ending and I almost wished the door was left open for his mother to still be alive but I guess the impact of this issue would have been lessened.

As others have said I'm intrigued to know what language they speak, the fact that KJ also speaks that language indicates he was caught by the tribe and spends time with them.

2 tiny gripes, one typo on the word 'until' (how is that missed) and also English people don't say 'mom' (if I'm correct in remembering they're an English family)!

Really looking forward to issue #4!

4.5/5 - :clap:

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

pixierosa wrote:As soon as she died, I knew they took him into the tribe. It's the only explanation for how he survived this long and for his hunting skills. He must have known they killed his mother. I'm guessing he went along with them for survival purposes. Hopefully next we'll find out why and when he broke away from them - was there another event or did he just feel he was finally capable? I'm curious about that group dynamic as well. Was the core group together when they ended up there, as part of a unit or gang of some sort? The seem to have a hierarchy - it may have been in place prior to their arrival. They're not speaking English.
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:As others have said I'm intrigued to know what language they speak, the fact that KJ also speaks that language indicates he was caught by the tribe and spends time with them.
Very good points about the language - I missed that KJ had parentheses on his dialogue too. It definitely makes more sense that they grabbed him and made him part of their tribe for a period of time before he took off on his own. I don't quite understand their group dynamic either yet, but in a good way - it's mysterious not non-sensical. Seems like the tribe is a mixture of new portal recruits and generations of survivors... the VW mini-van is one possible clue that this has been going on for many many years.
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:and also English people don't say 'mom' (if I'm correct in remembering they're an English family)!
How's ya mum?

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

jmatt wrote:
grendeljd wrote:My only real criticism of this series so far is that there isnt a ton of substance to it. It tends to be a quick read overall & despite the great atmosphere of it all, not much is really happening.
I'll agree with all of your accolades, the book is terrific. But I will agree with this point somewhat. It does seem to be taking its time getting where it's going.
It's not even a heavy criticism on my part - the story is well written if you take the time to absorb it all.
jmatt wrote:And yeah. While it's unlikely, I'm glad Mom met with a swift end.
Sad, but for the best. Could have been much worse for her. :(

This tribe does have women in it too though, so there's that. Maybe it was more of a ritualistic killing, or possibly cannibalism as pixierosa suggested. Could also be that the tribe knew they were around all those years, and once they caught her that leader assumed she would not easily convert to being one of them?

It's all strange (in a good way), however you slice it.

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

grendeljd wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:and also English people don't say 'mom' (if I'm correct in remembering they're an English family)!
How's ya mum?
NOW you're speaking my language! :lol: she's fine thanks! :thumb:

Brother Darque

Post by Brother Darque »

Will the main character making an appearance in other Valiant titles?

The jungle kid.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

grendeljd wrote:It's not even a heavy criticism on my part - the story is well written if you take the time to absorb it all.
No doubt. I spend time in every panel.

You would think the gang, up against dinosaurs and hardship, would simply absorb the unfortunates who find themselves there into the group. The value of a human being is about a billion times that of a motorcycle helmet, especially in those conditions.

Sunlight on Snow

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

Another great issue in a great series. Larosa's action sequences are fantastic as usual.

+2 for the vintage Volkswagen van (big fan!) and Mercedes. :thumb: