Ninjak #12 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Keith
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL
Ninjak #12 Discussion

Post by Keith »

Whelp, it's definitely Jack.

Good issue, though I can't help but be left trying to reconcile the Deadside we saw in the early issues of Shadowman to the Deadside we see here. Originally it was this horrible nightmare void with demonic nastys... then with Dr. Mirage it seemed to become less the void and more organized... actual locations and communities. Now we see cities and gov't and culture on top of that. Doctor Mirage as our representative to the Deadside?

And interesting that Ninjak may be the 5th artifact Jack needs to break his bonds. Whatever happened to him while he was with the Undead Monk... has Jack been affected by Master Darque?
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium
Re: Ninjak #12 Discussion

Post by DirtbagSailor »

dornwolf
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by dornwolf »

I like it, they've gone with the corrupting loa angle for Shadowman to make Milligans stuff work and it helps so much. As for expanding the Deadside. I'm all for it. I imagine had Justin Jordan been able to stay he'd probably expanded it a little more but what we were originally given was pretty boring and I like building that side of the universe. Between this and building 4001AD more they've got some good areas to explore.

agent_graves
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

I really liked this issue, after a lackluster 2nd arc, (imho) kind-t has really stepped it up a notch. I really hope whatever plans they have for Shadowman, are not that far off, hopefully will know something soon....
#StayValiant

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Great issue. Stupendous things going on. I love that they are fleshing out Deadside.

I'm wondering... is that Primal Deadside creature being sucked up into the sky and headed toward our world?

Ninjak imbued with some magic? Very interesting stuff, indeed.

Kindt is crushing it with this arc. So many possibilities flow forth from here.

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

I'm in the opposite camp to some other readers with this arc, I'm just not feeling the whole magic/Deadside thing :? Seems a bit goofy in parts. I've really enjoyed Ninjak up until this storyline so I'm keen to get past it and onto the next arc.

3/5 - back up story and art was the best thing about this issue!
Last edited by Dallow Spicer1 on Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:25:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tony_H
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Dr. Mirage
Favorite writer: Van Meter
Favorite artist: Braithwaite & Baron

Post by Tony_H »

Can't get enough of that sentient island (which needs its own #0), and glad to see Punk Mambo shedding the she-Constantine skin and becoming her own character.

...and if only the VEI editorial staff would allow a few of their lawyers to draft pleadings or motions that could be filed in a Deadside v. UK Commonwealth action, then print those things on the inside cover of a future Ninjak issue or two...

slym2none
a typical message board assassin
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

Welcome!

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

slack
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: pre-Unity 90's
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger (Dysart)
Favorite writer: tough choice
Favorite artist: ?

Post by slack »

Why is Jack's chin black with the mask (which doesn't cover his chin) on, but when he removes the mask his chin is white just like the parts of his face covered by the mask?
It feels like a coloring error, and it stood out so much that it took me out of the story for a bit.

jeremycoe
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)

Post by jeremycoe »

slack wrote:Why is Jack's chin black with the mask (which doesn't cover his chin) on, but when he removes the mask his chin is white just like the parts of his face covered by the mask?
It feels like a coloring error, and it stood out so much that it took me out of the story for a bit.
It's hard to tell in this issue, but looking back at issues 10 & 11, it looks like there's some fabric or something covering his face as well as the obviously protruding mask. Or it could be an oversight :?
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

QUARTZ

Post by QUARTZ »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:I'm in the opposite camp to some other readers with this arc, I'm just not feeling the whole magic/Deadside thing :? Seems a bit goofy in parts. I've really enjoyed Ninjak up until this storyline so I'm keen to get past it and onto the next arc.

I agree I'm ready for the story to be about Ninjak again; the most interesting stuff in this arc is all Shadowman related. I'm just not as into the magic goofery. I can't wait for the castle siege arc.

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Phoenix8008 »

QUARTZ wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:I'm in the opposite camp to some other readers with this arc, I'm just not feeling the whole magic/Deadside thing :? Seems a bit goofy in parts. I've really enjoyed Ninjak up until this storyline so I'm keen to get past it and onto the next arc.

I agree I'm ready for the story to be about Ninjak again; the most interesting stuff in this arc is all Shadowman related. I'm just not as into the magic goofery. I can't wait for the castle siege arc.
I appreciate both sides of the story (the magic and Ninjak's tech), but I'm most looking forward to the revelation about how Ninjak himself is very magical. I understand the possibility based on the backstory we have so far, but I look forward to Ninjak's response to learning more about it, considering his disdain for all things magical.
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Shadowman99 »

Phoenix8008 wrote:
QUARTZ wrote:

I appreciate both sides of the story (the magic and Ninjak's tech), but I'm most looking forward to the revelation about how Ninjak himself is very magical. I understand the possibility based on the backstory we have so far, but I look forward to Ninjak's response to learning more about it, considering his disdain for all things magical.
If it turns out somehow that Ninjak's magical in some way then I'm throwing the rattle out the pram.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Shadowman99 wrote:
Phoenix8008 wrote:
QUARTZ wrote:

If it turns out somehow that Ninjak's magical in some way then I'm throwing the rattle out the pram.
I think its a really cool addition to the character, especially considering his own personal opposition to anything supernatural. He is touched by Master Darque in some manner by his Shadow Seven training, how much so remains to be revealed.

I hope it isn't something much beyond the level of control he has over his physical body as we have already seen, along the same manner as the other Shadow Seven members without any of the additional bizarre body manipulation like Sanguine or Fitzy. That ultimately just gives him a super-heroic level of physical prowess, and I like that idea. His main deal is still relying on tech and combat training in the manner of a Batman/vigilante-archetype.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

grendeljd wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote:
Phoenix8008 wrote:
QUARTZ wrote:

I think its a really cool addition to the character, especially considering his own personal opposition to anything supernatural. He is touched by Master Darque in some manner by his Shadow Seven training, how much so remains to be revealed.

I hope it isn't something much beyond the level of control he has over his physical body as we have already seen, along the same manner as the other Shadow Seven members without any of the additional bizarre body manipulation like Sanguine or Fitzy. That ultimately just gives him a super-heroic level of physical prowess, and I like that idea. His main deal is still relying on tech and combat training in the manner of a Batman/vigilante-archetype.
I would agree the magic needs to be reigned in with Ninak. I prefer "mystical" to "magical" when it comes to Ninjak and martial arts heroes/villains. Something that comes from within; an energy like accessing one's chi. I believe the Shadow Seven used magic to access their mystical abilities, but I don't want to see them as "magical" beings.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

The amount of detail provided about the Deadside is making it more like an alternate reality in my mind. There's science that postulates a multi-verse where our universe is potentially one of an (effectively) infinite number of universes. The ability to access any other universe is beyond science today, but sufficiently advanced technology might be indistinguishable from "magic"... particularly if they came here first, making the knowledge necessary to return or cross-over something that only a few might possess.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

BugsySig wrote:I prefer "mystical" to "magical" when it comes to Ninjak and martial arts heroes/villains. Something that comes from within; an energy like accessing one's chi. I believe the Shadow Seven used magic to access their mystical abilities, but I don't want to see them as "magical" beings.
I like the nuanced distinction and agree.

Shadowman99

Post by Shadowman99 »

Ninjak is already a genius ninja AND a spy. Do we really want a 'ninja/spy/magical person'?

Another year down the line and he'll probably have become a magical psychic genius spy ninja robo-cowboy. Give him an espresso machine built into his costume and a new teenage sidekick and he'll be set for anything!

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Shadowman99 wrote:Ninjak is already a genius ninja AND a spy. Do we really want a 'ninja/spy/magical person'?

Another year down the line and he'll probably have become a magical psychic genius spy ninja robo-cowboy. Give him an espresso machine built into his costume and a new teenage sidekick and he'll be set for anything!
What is all that really does happen, only to find out Ninjak has been a psychic construct of some average kid's favorite video game character :o

jeremycoe
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)

Post by jeremycoe »

BugsySig wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote:Ninjak is already a genius ninja AND a spy. Do we really want a 'ninja/spy/magical person'?

What is all that really does happen, only to find out Ninjak has been a psychic construct of some average kid's favorite video game character :o
You're telling me that's not his established origin? I think we all know what Kurt Busiek would say about that :D
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

Keith

Post by Keith »

BugsySig wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote:
Phoenix8008 wrote:
QUARTZ wrote:

I would agree the magic needs to be reigned in with Ninak. I prefer "mystical" to "magical" when it comes to Ninjak and martial arts heroes/villains. Something that comes from within; an energy like accessing one's chi. I believe the Shadow Seven used magic to access their mystical abilities, but I don't want to see them as "magical" beings.
Agreed. I am not so concerned with magic as an influence on Ninjak's origin, but I do not want it to be a "thing" for him. No "World's smartest man, master martial artists, able to summon the *SQUEE* Hosts of Whorgarth with his Mystical Pendant."

grendeljd
Valiant fan since: 1991
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

jmatt wrote:
BugsySig wrote:I prefer "mystical" to "magical" when it comes to Ninjak and martial arts heroes/villains. Something that comes from within; an energy like accessing one's chi. I believe the Shadow Seven used magic to access their mystical abilities, but I don't want to see them as "magical" beings.
Yes, I like that statement & agree as well. I very much think of it in that vein too - a magically originated access to a mystical ability, allowing him some above average level of control over his physical attributes but not turn him into a wizard or able to use 'magic spells' or 'energy attacks' etc.

Pretty much just the kind of thing we saw in his origin stories in the lost files - when he was able to control his body down to the cellular level & heal from that duel-to-the-death match.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shadowman99

Post by Shadowman99 »

grendeljd wrote:
jmatt wrote:
Yes, I like that statement & agree as well. I very much think of it in that vein too - a magically originated access to a mystical ability, allowing him some above average level of control over his physical attributes but not turn him into a wizard or able to use 'magic spells' or 'energy attacks' etc.

Pretty much just the kind of thing we saw in his origin stories in the lost files - when he was able to control his body down to the cellular level & heal from that duel-to-the-death match.
There's just no way I'm buying that :lol:

The guy is already an all-round genius. He's already a spy. He's already a ninja. Doesn't a 'healing factor' just seem a bit too easy for this character? I think it'd add more tension to his storylines if he wasn't able to heal from any wound with ease - I might actually feel a sense of danger in the comics as he leaps out of the way of bullets and sword slashes: as it is I don't really feel there's actually much threat to the character in the majority of situations anymore.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Shadowman99 wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
jmatt wrote:

The guy is already an all-round genius. He's already a spy. He's already a ninja. Doesn't a 'healing factor' just seem a bit too easy for this character? I think it'd add more tension to his storylines if he wasn't able to heal from any wound with ease - I might actually feel a sense of danger in the comics as he leaps out of the way of bullets and sword slashes: as it is I don't really feel there's actually much threat to the character in the majority of situations anymore.
Don't forget his memory of his training was erased, so he doesn't know how to do those things now.

In Fall of, he had apparently relearned them.

Keith

Post by Keith »

BugsySig wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
jmatt wrote:

Don't forget his memory of his training was erased, so he doesn't know how to do those things now.

In Fall of, he had apparently relearned them.
And even then it doesn't look like he's able to heal from any wound with ease considering he's armless and battling cancer.