Timewalker #11

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Michael_Ayer
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Timewalker #11

Post by Michael_Ayer »

This was a great Valiant day. This and XO were great!

We see the sages. We see how Neela becomes the Mistress (her own choice to "end" it.). We see the altiverse that Q&W referred to. (Which I wasn't excited about.).

I could go. Looking forward to seeing other observations.
I wrote a Shadowman Story for KINDLE WORLDS.

Check it out: http://amzn.com/B00IMFHWDS

dornwolf
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Re: Timewalker #11

Post by dornwolf »

Wasn't too bad, kind of surprised Fred went with the predestined loop in the end.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Yet another fantastic issue of this book. I'll be sad to see it gone after next month.

I love how well connected everything is within this title, how we're coming full circle with all the points of Neela & Ivar's lives - as Michael_Ayer mentioned, she tried to sacrifice herself & it ended up being the event that led to her rebirth as future evil Neela, which I think points to the idea that chronological protection hasn't actually been broken, just the walls between the multi-verses has. Ivar left on his own at this point begins his journey as the Timewalker. The whole Bootstrap Paradox idea of Neela learning about time arcs from Ivar, who learned about them from Neela... And the Seven Sages in the Faraway are really quite powerful if even they exist outside of all the multi-verse Null/Promethean madness!

And best of all, the whole kaleidoscopic imagery in the issue was tremendous fun to pour over - so many hilarious variations to discover on the initial two-page spread... A He-Man Ivar, Mad Max Ivar, Jason Voorhees Ivar, etc. :lol: :clap:

Can't wait to see how the final issue wraps this up next month. I predict we'll see Ivar end up in his banishment phase in the Faraway by the end.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue (& XO Manowar #42), please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr42/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to any who listen in :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Ivar and Imperium are now tied for my two favorite VEI titles.

DirtbagSailor
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

My Published review of Ivar, Timewalker #11

http://all-comic.com/2015/ivar-timewalker-11/

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

grendeljd wrote:Yet another fantastic issue of this book. I'll be sad to see it gone after next month.

I love how well connected everything is within this title, how we're coming full circle with all the points of Neela & Ivar's lives - as Michael_Ayer mentioned, she tried to sacrifice herself & it ended up being the event that led to her rebirth as future evil Neela, which I think points to the idea that chronological protection hasn't actually been broken, just the walls between the multi-verses has. Ivar left on his own at this point begins his journey as the Timewalker. The whole Bootstrap Paradox idea of Neela learning about time arcs from Ivar, who learned about them from Neela... And the Seven Sages in the Faraway are really quite powerful if even they exist outside of all the multi-verse Null/Promethean madness!

And best of all, the whole kaleidoscopic imagery in the issue was tremendous fun to pour over - so many hilarious variations to discover on the initial two-page spread... A He-Man Ivar, Mad Max Ivar, Jason Voorhees Ivar, etc. :lol: :clap:

Can't wait to see how the final issue wraps this up next month. I predict we'll see Ivar end up in his banishment phase in the Faraway by the end.

All of this makes me to wonder at what point does Ivar get locked away by the Sages and how does that tie into the series ultimately. Oh...and the Ivar that showed up in 4001 Blackwater.

Brapbrap
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Sunlight On Snow
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite artist: Raul Allen

Post by Brapbrap »

one of the best issues VEI has published, beautiful.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Brapbrap wrote:one of the best issues VEI has published, beautiful.
Ditto. What a great title and issue. Magnificent!

Let me be the first to go out on a limb here and speculate that Neela is pregnant with a child conceived outside of reality and space-time. Of course we won't see it in the next issue but the possibility will always be there.

And I recall a thread where some Valiant artist claimed he had to draw 200 panels on a page... this must be it. But jeez, that seemed like months ago I heard that.

CongoBill
My posts can all fit in a short box
Favorite character: Livewire
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine

Post by CongoBill »

I think with this issue I have officially lost track of what's going on in this series. Keeping up with a monthly can be tough for me because I often forget too much of what's going on (my mind isn't what it once was!), and a story loses its impact when you're not remembering some of the key details and plot points. Most Valiant series I can follow month-to-month, and I was able to follow Ivar for a while, but now I am just confused. So I will sit down and read all the issues in order so I can better appreciate this story. I know it's good, but I've lost track of the many details and twists and turns to get full enjoyment from this series.

And is Ivar ending with issue #12???? In grendeljd's post above he mentions he'll miss this book after next month. I hadn't heard the series was ending. Not surprising, I guess, because I know the sales numbers are pretty low, but a disappointment to hear (if it's true).

jeremycoe
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)

Post by jeremycoe »

CongoBill wrote: And is Ivar ending with issue #12???? In grendeljd's post above he mentions he'll miss this book after next month. I hadn't heard the series was ending. Not surprising, I guess, because I know the sales numbers are pretty low, but a disappointment to hear (if it's true).
FVL has stated this series was always meant as a 12-issue series. He has told the story he intended to tell (at least after issue 12 comes out).
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

dornwolf wrote:
grendeljd wrote:Yet another fantastic issue of this book. I'll be sad to see it gone after next month.

All of this makes me to wonder at what point does Ivar get locked away by the Sages and how does that tie into the series ultimately. Oh...and the Ivar that showed up in 4001 Blackwater.
I believe there will still be some time between the end of this story and Ivars imprisonment. That would leave the character open for further adventures at the pen of another writer, otherwise there wouldn't seem to be much of an opportunity to tell Ivar stories. The only other time he's not seen is between the beer crawl through time in A&A and Ivar #1, but I believe those take place in close proximity to each other.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

A wonderful read for me. I am enjoying how FVL is pulling the threads back together simply beacuse I feel we have yet one (or more) major twist to come, and all will not quite be as it seems.

These 11 issues so far have been a very rewarding journey, and a stark contrast to what was done with Q&W. I make that parallel as each book has its own mythos and more than a share of the absurd, yet I feel the verve of FVL's plotting and story-telling gives much stronger context in first A&A and now Ivar, Timewalker.

I look forward to what promises to be the final issue, simply because I feel it will be a fitting end to an incredibly well constructed journey.

In a thread about a previous issue, a poster noted that the three arcs of the Ivar series form a clear beginning, middle and end, which seems so apt to me. Well done to the team creating Ivar, Timewalker. :thumb:
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

tarheelmarine
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Favorite character: Magnus Robot Fighter
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Jim Calafiore

Post by tarheelmarine »

Need some help from the board here. I just read this in TPB (and enjoyed the series), but what storyline did this lead into? At the end of the last issue, there are numerous characters...so did this lead into an "event?"

markie7235

Post by markie7235 »

tarheelmarine wrote:Need some help from the board here. I just read this in TPB (and enjoyed the series), but what storyline did this lead into? At the end of the last issue, there are numerous characters...so did this lead into an "event?"
There was no direct event caused by this story line, though Faith and the Future Force could/would be considered a sequel to this series in that it's the next time we see Neela and trying to fix the time lines.

Otherwise, I'm not aware of any specific impact this series had on any other story lines in the universe.

tarheelmarine

Post by tarheelmarine »

markie7235 wrote:
tarheelmarine wrote:Need some help from the board here. I just read this in TPB (and enjoyed the series), but what storyline did this lead into? At the end of the last issue, there are numerous characters...so did this lead into an "event?"
There was no direct event caused by this story line, though Faith and the Future Force could/would be considered a sequel to this series in that it's the next time we see Neela and trying to fix the time lines.

Otherwise, I'm not aware of any specific impact this series had on any other story lines in the universe.
Thank you, I will look for those issues.

markie7235

Post by markie7235 »

tarheelmarine wrote:
markie7235 wrote:

The Faith and the Future Force books weren't bad, though not as compelling as the Ivar story. It's more of a Faith series than a Timewalker one, but Neela features prominently in it. I enjoyed them

tarheelmarine

Post by tarheelmarine »

markie7235 wrote:
tarheelmarine wrote:
markie7235 wrote:

The Faith and the Future Force books weren't bad, though not as compelling as the Ivar story. It's more of a Faith series than a Timewalker one, but Neela features prominently in it. I enjoyed them
I enjoyed the use of the villain to stop the robot, but I'm in agreement with you that Ivar's series was better. What ended up happening with the robot taking out his former self? Has this series had a sequel?