Rai!

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: greg, Daniel Jackson

User avatar
dave
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Posts: 8232
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:06:22 pm
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: BWS
Location: Hiding in the fetal position
Contact:
Rai!

Post by dave »

Hey, don't miss the Rai teaser in Unity #1! Woot!

User avatar
dave
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Posts: 8232
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:06:22 pm
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: BWS
Location: Hiding in the fetal position
Contact:
Re: Rai!

Post by dave »

Here's a link:

http://www.digitalspy.com/comics/news/a ... omics.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Posts: 4900
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:52:13 pm
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Location: Astoria, NY
Contact:
Re: Rai!

Post by kjjohanson »

The hero from the future was most closely associated with the Freedom Force team.
facepalm
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

User avatar
Watchtower
Harbinger rank: Aonisaibushi
Harbinger rank: Aonisaibushi
Posts: 210
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:16:44 pm
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain
Location: Beyond Thunderdome
Re: Rai!

Post by Watchtower »

One of the interesting things about VH1 was how it seemed to jump on the Japan bandwagon years before the bandwagon even started. You had a Japanese hero in Rai, a Japanese villain in Harada, PRS had a notable Japanese background, Japan was one of the two major areas in the 40th century, etc. It's unfortunate that Valiant died off just as the anime boom was taking place.

But things are different now. Japan has etched such a deep mark into American culture that it persists long after anime faded back into the shadows of media awareness, which is only helped by the growing database that is the Internet. Having all of Harada's subordinates refer to him as "Harada-sama" was a very nice touch showing the fruits of such cultural bonding. I expect Rai to benefit greatly from the new culture we're in.

User avatar
dave
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Posts: 8232
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:06:22 pm
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: BWS
Location: Hiding in the fetal position
Contact:
Re: Rai!

Post by dave »

kjjohanson wrote:
The hero from the future was most closely associated with the Freedom Force team.
facepalm
I saw that and had a similar reaction, but it could have been worse:

Rai! The hero best known for the catchphrase "Mindlock!"

User avatar
slym2none
a typical message board assassin
a typical message board assassin
Posts: 37101
Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 12:08:46 pm
Location: Troll- free zone.
Re: Rai!

Post by slym2none »

Who?

:?



-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

Captain Craig
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Posts: 657
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:01:55 pm
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: XO Manowar/Shadowman
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: tough one
Location: Nashville, TN--USA
Re: Rai!

Post by Captain Craig »

Yeah, the one spread teaser isn't much to talk about.
Rai was even drawn in during the launch, or shortly thereafter.
So it's going to take EW#5 or an actual Rai #1 to really get excited Rai talk going.....and it's clearly coming now.

I'm guessing hints of him in the next EW arc, #5-8, then he's the first new solo title of '14 launching Summer of Valiant 3.0

User avatar
Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Posts: 3257
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:49:54 am
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Location: Florida, USA
Re: Rai!

Post by Phoenix8008 »

Anybody else think that the whole Summer of Valiant 2014 will be in the 4001 timeline? I wonder if there may be a big event crossover between the present and the future. Assuming 4 issue arcs, Eternal Warrior, Harbinger, and Bloodshot & HC would all be ending their next story arcs in April and be available for a crossover starting in May. We know Unity's second arc will only be 3 issues for the Ninjak/Webnet story (issues 5-7 from March-May) so that title would be available to jump onboard in June as would X-O Manowar if it only has a 3 issue arc after Unity.

If all the titles in the 2014 Summer of Valiant are 4001 timeline titles, what other 2 or 3 titles besides Rai should be included? Can't do Magnus. I don't think they'd make another seperate book for Gilad or Aram just set in the future. Timewalker is possible (especially as a bridge if there is a crossover to the present), but not as a '4001 timeline' title unless he's doing a lot less timewalking than in his original series. Unless they make up some new properties to shove in there, the only previous title I can think of would be Psi-Lords. While I'd love to see them back, I know I'm in the minority of those who liked the original. But VEI would surely do it even better, right? Bring in a future version of Bloodshot & HARD Corps that way but with the opposite focus. Instead of the mortality of the current HARD Corps, you have issues with the immortality of the Psi-Lords!
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

User avatar
mateo107
5318008
5318008
Posts: 539
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:00:05 am
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Obadiah Archer
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Doug Braithwaite
Location: Los Angeles
Re: Rai!

Post by mateo107 »

I think 4001 will for sure be a big part of the 2014 Summer of Valiant, but I hope it has more of a gradual unfolding rather than rapid launches of untested concepts. plus, I'd also still like to see a Ninjak solo book. so far Rai is definite. a Timewalker series of some sort is a possibility (if not his own title, then maybe change Eternal Warrior to Eternal Warriors around issue 13). I think a future arc (no pun intended) of Rai would be the place to test a Psi-Lords or a Future Force possibility.

Aomalle27
Personal shoe-shopper for Atom!
Personal shoe-shopper for Atom!
Posts: 330
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:49:58 pm
Valiant fan since: 90s
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek
Favorite title: XOmanowar
Favorite writer: ?
Re: Rai!

Post by Aomalle27 »

Cropsy Chris wrote: I feel like Rai and Ninjak are enough new titles for 2014; at least enough to make me happy as a clam.
Why a ninjak solo? I get the feeling, he'll be the main focus of Unity once Harada gets the boot, and I don't see XO sticking around long, and with EW already having his own title... I've never understood the "greatness" of ninjak. He's kinda like Deadpool or Carnage, smart alecky, superpowered (well super endowed? :? But in the super speed, strength, etc way, don't let your mind go to the toilet, a James Bond ninja, is what I'm getting at, ) With the introduction of Webnet, is a ninjak solo necessary? :rant: I guess I'm just waiting for the character to develop his own rhythm before I'm ready to invest in a solo title, let's give the 3 issue arc in Unity with him as the main guy a go first, before going all in with a Ninjak monthly :rant:

User avatar
BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Posts: 9435
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:47:04 pm
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
Location: Central CT
Re: Rai!

Post by BugsySig »

Cropsy Chris wrote:I agree I think the summer of 2014 will be dominated by "4001" stories.

I hope if will be gradual as well, and something that naturally comes from the current stories, not something forced just to have a summer event for Valiant.

I feel like Rai and Ninjak are enough new titles for 2014; at least enough to make me happy as a clam.
I dont see Ninjak getting a solo title as he is being made out as the lead in Unity. Plus it would seem redundant to consumers to have two "eastern warrior" books out at the same time (if we are assuming Rai will get a series next summer).

I do think having Rai and Timewalker books would be enough to start 4001, especially if EW will take place in that timeline for various stories. Psi-Lords, Future Force, etc should be introduced through those titles first before getting their own.

Other than that, I'd like to see Dr. Mirage get her own book. I think a crime/horror/noir book with a strong female lead can attract a good sized market a la Fatale, Revival, Rachel Rising, etc. It would also help expand the magic/supernatural corner of the VU that Shadowman kind of occupies on his own right now.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t
Image

User avatar
hunter_peterson
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Posts: 746
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 6:28:25 am
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Kris Hathaway
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Location: Launceston, Tasmania
Re: Rai!

Post by hunter_peterson »

BugsySig wrote:
Cropsy Chris wrote:I agree I think the summer of 2014 will be dominated by "4001" stories.

I hope if will be gradual as well, and something that naturally comes from the current stories, not something forced just to have a summer event for Valiant.

I feel like Rai and Ninjak are enough new titles for 2014; at least enough to make me happy as a clam.
I dont see Ninjak getting a solo title as he is being made out as the lead in Unity. Plus it would seem redundant to consumers to have two "eastern warrior" books out at the same time (if we are assuming Rai will get a series next summer).

I do think having Rai and Timewalker books would be enough to start 4001, especially if EW will take place in that timeline for various stories. Psi-Lords, Future Force, etc should be introduced through those titles first before getting their own.

Other than that, I'd like to see Dr. Mirage get her own book. I think a crime/horror/noir book with a strong female lead can attract a good sized market a la Fatale, Revival, Rachel Rising, etc. It would also help expand the magic/supernatural corner of the VU that Shadowman kind of occupies on his own right now.
This. Though I have a sneaking suspicion that we'll be getting future issues for all the titles, showing how they relate to the future, during the Summer of Valiant. Why else make all the story arcs end at the same time? It'd be pretty awesome to basically see Valiant One Million as an event.

User avatar
BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Posts: 9435
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:47:04 pm
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
Location: Central CT
Re: Rai!

Post by BugsySig »

Cropsy Chris wrote:Sorry guys I could have swore I saw a one page ad indicating a new Ninjak series in 2013...I figured it was delayed to 2014. Honestly Ninjak wasn't a character I followed much in the old continuity (I just got the Valiant Masters collection to catch up), I just thought it was a sure thing coming, but your reasons for there not being a solo Ninjak series are perfectly logical. I totally agree. Much more excited about Rai anyways...
It said "Ninjak: Winter 2013"... Ninjak is currently appearing in Unity and XO Manowar in the Winter of 2013...Just like the "Eternal Warrior: Winter 2012" ad that came to fruition when he appeared in A&A's 2nd arc :D
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t
Image

User avatar
mateo107
5318008
5318008
Posts: 539
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:00:05 am
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Obadiah Archer
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Doug Braithwaite
Location: Los Angeles
Re: Rai!

Post by mateo107 »

hunter_peterson wrote:Though I have a sneaking suspicion that we'll be getting future issues for all the titles, showing how they relate to the future, during the Summer of Valiant. Why else make all the story arcs end at the same time? It'd be pretty awesome to basically see Valiant One Million as an event.
now this would be an awesome way to do a non-crossover, I'd be totally on board with it! Bloodshot (or Harbinger?)would introduce Psi-Lords, X-O Manowar could feature X-O Commando, maybe put the Future Force in Unity, Mary Maria Archer and Armstrong...

User avatar
hunter_peterson
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Posts: 746
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 6:28:25 am
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Kris Hathaway
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Location: Launceston, Tasmania
Re: Rai!

Post by hunter_peterson »

mateo107 wrote:
hunter_peterson wrote:Though I have a sneaking suspicion that we'll be getting future issues for all the titles, showing how they relate to the future, during the Summer of Valiant. Why else make all the story arcs end at the same time? It'd be pretty awesome to basically see Valiant One Million as an event.
now this would be an awesome way to do a non-crossover, I'd be totally on board with it! Bloodshot (or Harbinger?)would introduce Psi-Lords, X-O Manowar could feature X-O Commando, maybe put the Future Force in Unity, Mary Maria Archer and Armstrong...
That's exactly the kind of thing I was thinking. Though the Future a force needs a name that can actually be used in-story, because calling them "future" anything is a bit simple. But anyway! This is how I would break it down, using the original names (though I think they could be improved a bit this go round):

Bloodshot and HARDCorps becomes PSILords
Shadowman becomes Shadowoman (easy way to differentiate the two, even better would be twin Shadowgirls)
XO Manowar becomes XO Commando
Unity becomes Spylocke (considering that it's likely an epilogue to the Dr. Silk arc, the spider-alien James Bond of the future would be an interesting Ninjak legacy character)

The rest are less obvious/I can't pick a clear example that sounds cool. But I think that this approach could be a great idea.

User avatar
BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Posts: 9435
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:47:04 pm
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
Location: Central CT
Re: Rai!

Post by BugsySig »

Cropsy Chris wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
Cropsy Chris wrote:Sorry guys I could have swore I saw a one page ad indicating a new Ninjak series in 2013...I figured it was delayed to 2014. Honestly Ninjak wasn't a character I followed much in the old continuity (I just got the Valiant Masters collection to catch up), I just thought it was a sure thing coming, but your reasons for there not being a solo Ninjak series are perfectly logical. I totally agree. Much more excited about Rai anyways...
It said "Ninjak: Winter 2013"... Ninjak is currently appearing in Unity and XO Manowar in the Winter of 2013...Just like the "Eternal Warrior: Winter 2012" ad that came to fruition when he appeared in A&A's 2nd arc :D
I gotcha good sir. I guess I should take those ads with an even bigger grain of salt ha.
Haha...yeah, I learned that lesson after getting *SQUEE* that they released that EW ad, only to announce Shadowman as the 5th title. Nothing against Shadowman, it was just the principle of the matter.

And of course the Rai Spring 2013 teaser never came to fruition, so now I don't take any of them too seriously. Of course, would hope VEI has learned their lesson from that one by this point and wouldn't tease that far out anymore.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t
Image

User avatar
mateo107
5318008
5318008
Posts: 539
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:00:05 am
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Obadiah Archer
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Doug Braithwaite
Location: Los Angeles
Re: Rai!

Post by mateo107 »

Cropsy Chris wrote: So your saying if I see a Future Force ad for 2016 I probably shouldn't hold my breath? ;)
Hillary Ninjak 2016!!!

Captain Craig
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Posts: 657
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:01:55 pm
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: XO Manowar/Shadowman
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: tough one
Location: Nashville, TN--USA
Re: Rai!

Post by Captain Craig »

Hillary....have we seriously not seen enough damage as a country by the Democrats and their ideology with the current guy?

User avatar
mateo107
5318008
5318008
Posts: 539
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:00:05 am
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Obadiah Archer
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Doug Braithwaite
Location: Los Angeles
Re: Rai!

Post by mateo107 »

oh, please, I'm just being facetious. and also because X-O Manowar would be the most plausible conservative running mate and I'd love to see him battle with Hillary.

User avatar
hunter_peterson
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Posts: 746
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 6:28:25 am
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Kris Hathaway
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Location: Launceston, Tasmania
Re: Rai!

Post by hunter_peterson »

Captain Craig wrote:Hillary....have we seriously not seen enough damage as a country by the Democrats and their ideology with the current guy?
...not sure if sarcastic... they REALLY need punctuation for that. :P

Captain Craig
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Posts: 657
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:01:55 pm
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: XO Manowar/Shadowman
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: tough one
Location: Nashville, TN--USA
Re: Rai!

Post by Captain Craig »

Nope, no sarcasm.

O's public poll numbers finally reflect what those of us with some vision knew would happen with Dems in this much control. The ACA, GM Bailout, Cash for Clunkers, Alternative Energy funding: Solyndra(sp) for example, Sequestration, Benghazi, Syria, Egypt, Fast & Furious Gun scandal, not siding with Israel as per 60yrs of US policy to name a few.

How anyone logically says, yeah the Democrat ideology is working, will work, hasn't paid any attention or studied any history.
I would say sorry not meaning to derail the thread but it's kinda of unattended to anyway. But I'll leave it there.

User avatar
Bl00dsh0t
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Posts: 803
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:58:17 pm
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1 (2012)
Favorite character: Ninjak/Woody
Favorite title: Bloodshot/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain
Location: The Faraway
Re: Rai!

Post by Bl00dsh0t »

ummm... wasn't this a Rai thread? I think we got a little derailed here :-)

I think the suggestions of a 4001 timeline focused on the Summer of Valiant are excellent and would pave the way for the bookend ongoing series (if they plan on doing that) in Rai and Timewalker with each of the existing books looking at the U from a 4001 perspective.

As someone new-ish to Valiant (didn't read the 90's stuff) this 4001 idea has really captured the imagination - can't wait to see how it's introduced in EW #5!

User avatar
Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Posts: 2811
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:08:01 am
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain
Location: England
Re: Rai!

Post by Shadowman99 »

Bl00dsh0t wrote:ummm... wasn't this a Rai thread? I think we got a little derailed here :-)

I think the suggestions of a 4001 timeline focused on the Summer of Valiant are excellent and would pave the way for the bookend ongoing series (if they plan on doing that) in Rai and Timewalker with each of the existing books looking at the U from a 4001 perspective.

As someone new-ish to Valiant (didn't read the 90's stuff) this 4001 idea has really captured the imagination - can't wait to see how it's introduced in EW #5!
On the flipside to this, as a new reader, I'm not the least bit interested in a 'future timeline'. I like the books that I'm reading set in the current timeline. Changing this would basically result in me reading a different comic with the same title: Why would I want to do that? If I didn't want to read Bloodshot or Shadowman as they are, I'd be picking something else up off the shelf in the first place :?

I'm not against change by any means, but shoe-horning future timeline stuff into the other comics for few months for the sake of it? Nah. Not into it. Just establish a future timeline in future timeline comics. Future timeline characters/events/etc may crossover with the current timeline at various points in ways that make sense for an arc or two in the (real life) future, but doing it the way it's been suggested just seems a bit juvenile to me, like a kid showing off a new toy to everyone all at once, just because he has it.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

User avatar
lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
Posts: 13301
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:51:31 pm
Re: Rai!

Post by lorddunlow »

So I got this new toy that I want everyone to see...
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

User avatar
BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Posts: 9435
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:47:04 pm
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
Location: Central CT
Re: Rai!

Post by BugsySig »

lorddunlow wrote:So I got this new toy that I want everyone to see...
Am I the only one that doesn't want Dunlow to finish this statement :?
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t
Image


Post Reply