Archer & Armstrong #7 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

MarrowMan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: ShadowMan
Favorite title: ShadowMan
Favorite writer: Dysart, Jordan
Re: Archer & Armstrong #7 Discussion

Post by MarrowMan »

mind blown, I loved this issue.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

BugsySig wrote:Like I said, not sold, but I could reason it out...
Yes but how could he be locked in a vault in Harada's headquarters and simultaneously be chasing down the parts of the Boon?

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Phoenix8008 »

jmatt wrote:
BugsySig wrote:Like I said, not sold, but I could reason it out...
Yes but how could he be locked in a vault in Harada's headquarters and simultaneously be chasing down the parts of the Boon?
The current day Archer continues his adventures with Armstrong for awhile. Sometime in the future, he manages to travel in time (through the Faraway/Lost Land??? or via the Akashic record that Ivar is talking to him from??) and an Archer that is older winds up sometime way in the past. He lives for a long time (so that he looks alot older) and somehow gets a chest wound that doesn't stop bleeding (maybe from time traveling? The wound was there when he traveled in time and now it's ALWAYS there in whatever time he inhabits afterward?) and eventually is found by Harada at the temple in issue #1 of Harbinger.
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

MarkRoseHFX wrote:
greg wrote:FREAKING. AWESOME. COMIC.

That is all.
I concur. I think this ranks right up there as one of the best single issues they've put out so far. Lots of great dialogue and action. Fantastic.
Ditto. I did not expect this issue to be THIS good, mainly because the gang just got together, but it was just packed with so many great stuff start to finish.

Absolutely the best issue of this series, so far. :clap:
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

Whoa. This is awesome!
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Phoenix8008 wrote:The current day Archer continues his adventures with Armstrong for awhile. Sometime in the future, he manages to travel in time (through the Faraway/Lost Land??? or via the Akashic record that Ivar is talking to him from??) and an Archer that is older winds up sometime way in the past. He lives for a long time (so that he looks alot older) and somehow gets a chest wound that doesn't stop bleeding (maybe from time traveling? The wound was there when he traveled in time and now it's ALWAYS there in whatever time he inhabits afterward?) and eventually is found by Harada at the temple in issue #1 of Harbinger.
That's, uh, quite speculative. Maybe he gets the wound when he's being changed from Caucasian to Asian... :wink:

Baramos
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.

Post by Baramos »

I too am surprised that Zorn is not the Eternal Enemy, as the Phoenix tattoo I felt was going to be the new "sign" of the Eternal Enemy (instead of the mismatched eyes) and so assumed that Zorn was the reincarnation of the Chinese illusionist Gilad chops the head off of in Issue 5.

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

jmatt wrote:
Phoenix8008 wrote:The current day Archer continues his adventures with Armstrong for awhile. Sometime in the future, he manages to travel in time (through the Faraway/Lost Land??? or via the Akashic record that Ivar is talking to him from??) and an Archer that is older winds up sometime way in the past. He lives for a long time (so that he looks alot older) and somehow gets a chest wound that doesn't stop bleeding (maybe from time traveling? The wound was there when he traveled in time and now it's ALWAYS there in whatever time he inhabits afterward?) and eventually is found by Harada at the temple in issue #1 of Harbinger.
That's, uh, quite speculative. Maybe he gets the wound when he's being changed from Caucasian to Asian... :wink:
Age enough and racial features tend to blend together...there have also been a few depictions where the Monk didn't look very Asian.

Just speculation, of course...but that's the fun of it...lets see how many square pegs we can fit into round hole :hm:
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

carter3175

Post by carter3175 »

I just read it and I must admit, this is the best issue by far. :clap:

bribri
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by bribri »

Baramos wrote:I too am surprised that Zorn is not the Eternal Enemy, as the Phoenix tattoo I felt was going to be the new "sign" of the Eternal Enemy (instead of the mismatched eyes) and so assumed that Zorn was the reincarnation of the Chinese illusionist Gilad chops the head off of in Issue 5.
Agreed. It seemed pretty obvious that was going to be the sign. They have brought a lot of attention to the tattoo.

Maybe Zorn is the Eternal Enemy as suspected, but perhaps the mathematician doesn't know Zorn is "the enemy" when he asks...? Maybe Zorn keeps it hidden to keep "the Enemy" separate from "the Zorn"?

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

I'm wondering two things:

1. Is the name similarity of Archer and Archimedes pure coincidence or is there something else there?

2. How a car could manage enough pickup in such a short space to breach two windows and span the gap between buildings.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

kjjohanson wrote:2. How a car could manage enough pickup in such a short space to breach two windows and span the gap between buildings.
The car's occupants are two immortals, a chick who talks to an Australopithecus caveman dressed as Mother Nature from a 1970's Chiffon margarine commercial and an infinite Psiot. But the car's performance and handling characteristics are bothering you as unrealistic.

Just funning brother. :kidaround: Please don't bend my comics or anything... :lol:

Baramos

Post by Baramos »

kjjohanson wrote: 2. How a car could manage enough pickup in such a short space to breach two windows and span the gap between buildings.
You ever see the movie Fast Five?

Diesel Dynamics: the theory that the laws of physics are bent whenever someone is going to do something badass with a car.
bribri wrote:
Baramos wrote:I too am surprised that Zorn is not the Eternal Enemy, as the Phoenix tattoo I felt was going to be the new "sign" of the Eternal Enemy (instead of the mismatched eyes) and so assumed that Zorn was the reincarnation of the Chinese illusionist Gilad chops the head off of in Issue 5.
Agreed. It seemed pretty obvious that was going to be the sign. They have brought a lot of attention to the tattoo.

Maybe Zorn is the Eternal Enemy as suspected, but perhaps the mathematician doesn't know Zorn is "the enemy" when he asks...? Maybe Zorn keeps it hidden to keep "the Enemy" separate from "the Zorn"?
I had a zany thought: they're bringing the Eternal Enemy through a portal or whatever. It reminded me of the same plot going on in Shadowman of Mr. Twist trying to bring Master Darque through a portal from Deadside. Master Darque would also destroy the world/universe if let through. So if they wanted to make the two comics crossover heavily then make Master Darque the Eternal Enemy. :P

Carson
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by Carson »

Great issue. Alleviated any concerns I had about Gilad's personality.
AKA "The Anti-Chartist: he who made Charty go Sharty"
---------------------
Valiant Fan # 2021
---------------------
G.I. Joe Fan #1
http://www.3DJoes.com

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

Carson wrote:Great issue. Alleviated any concerns I had about Gilad's personality.
Me too but you gotta admit that introduction in #5 was pretty damn dorky. If he is such a protector of the Geomancer where was he when the old guy got crushed by the Boon?

He can't handle the Hilter monks but once the Geomancer is dead he suddenly leaps in to action for vengance against his brother and his friend?

"Oh but there's a new Geomancer so I'm ok now", "I'll be your protector but if a pop machine tips over I can't help you out" :P

That debut almost requires a whole other issue to explain away :roll:

Carson

Post by Carson »

hawkeyeps wrote:
Carson wrote:Great issue. Alleviated any concerns I had about Gilad's personality.
Me too but you gotta admit that introduction in #5 was pretty damn dorky. If he is such a protector of the Geomancer where was he when the old guy got crushed by the Boon?

He can't handle the Hilter monks but once the Geomancer is dead he suddenly leaps in to action for vengance against his brother and his friend?

"Oh but there's a new Geomancer so I'm ok now", "I'll be your protector but if a pop machine tips over I can't help you out" :P

I agree, 5 was weak. Really weak. I hate contrived stories to put the good guys against each other because that's what sells. facepalm

That said, I'll pretend five never happened, and remember 6 as "meh" and 7 as a great book. Really, 7 was kick *SQUEE* and I'm glad to see a+a back on track! :thumb:

BugsySig
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

hawkeyeps wrote:

Well, he did say something about the Sect keeping the Geomancer in the air, not touching the Earth, so he couldn't find him (not that I am defending Issue 5, because I'm not).

Also, Gilad isnt always with the Geomancer--He's the Fist and Steel...he's there to fight if Earth needs him, not walk two steps behind the Geomancer at all times (although with Kay, that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing :wink: ).
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Carson wrote:I agree, 5 was weak. Really weak. I hate contrived stories to put the good guys against each other because that's what sells.
That issue reminded me of EW #3, which was essentially just a barroom brawl between Aram and Gilad as I recall. Neither was bad, just not all that highbrow.

Carson

Post by Carson »

jmatt wrote:
Carson wrote:I agree, 5 was weak. Really weak. I hate contrived stories to put the good guys against each other because that's what sells.
That issue reminded me of EW #3, which was essentially just a barroom brawl between Aram and Gilad as I recall. Neither was bad, just not all that highbrow.
I seem to remember EW 3 being much more enjoyable. Then again it's been 20 years :-)

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Hm. I seem to be in the minority here, but my first impression of #7 was not as good as #6 [which I seem to have liked more than most here], or #4 [the best issue yet, I still think].

I think I was just in the wrong mood for it the first time [that shouldn't even be possible, really]. I would not go to the extreme and call for FVL to get fired, as some have expressed here - overall the title is great, and I've long since let go of comparing it to the BWS run [biggest roadblock for any of us to be able to enjoy this title, I think]. But I found its still a little inconsistent with the style of dialogue, primarily. I think this is probably just my own personal issue, not a problem with FVL's writing. 'Roman, Please', 'I am SO not going to admit that' and the '*SQUEE* *SQUEE*' bit all felt like phrases that the characters just would not say - they are either out of context to the time [Roman, please] or just not something I feel 10,000 year old people might say. Sounds dumb to get picky & criticize fiction maybe - I don't know any REAL immortals to judge by after all, but thats only my impression.

However, upon re-reading it a second time, I really enjoyed it a great deal more. Seriously, I must have been in a much better mood :lol:

Lots of cool little tidbits in #7 that I am loving in general from this title - all the insights into how things work in the Valiant U - really thought the way Kay learns how to see as a Geomancer was awesome... I'm glad the Mother Nature Monkey [eM N' eM, if you will :lol: ] is still making an appearance - I love that concept. VERY cool detail about Archer and the infinity symbols - and the fact that Kay can see a link to 'Rising Spirit' [I note the absence of 'Project' there... ]. I have no idea where this bit of info will lead but I like it. :thumb: Not sure I agree with all the speculation on Archer being the Bleeding Monk, but this was definitely a :hm: moment.

Also nice to see Eternal Warrior got some good character moments here, loved the dialogue between him & Archer ['You show your true colours, boy' 'Cherub-Faced Assassin' :D ], and he & Aram as well. I thought Gilad looked pretty cool as an MI:6 agent in a bowler cap too :thumb:

Can't find the quote, but someone posted about a missed opportunity for a more comedic moment in the panel of EW popping out of the sunroof guns ablazin' - I agree, it would have really added to that if we could have seen a humorous reaction on Arams face there or something.

All around, great issue. Weird that I didn't like it as much the first time through - I guess that odd dialogue thing was too jarring for me, pulled me out of the story a bit. :?
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kevinbastos
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody

Post by kevinbastos »

grendeljd wrote:Hm. I seem to be in the minority here, but my first impression of #7 was not as good as #6 [which I seem to have liked more than most here], or #4 [the best issue yet, I still think].
I have found that to be true for quite a few re-reads of Valiant books.
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

Carson

Post by Carson »

grendeljd wrote:Can't find the quote, but someone posted about a missed opportunity for a more comedic moment in the panel of EW popping out of the sunroof guns ablazin' - I agree, it would have really added to that if we could have seen a humorous reaction on Arams face there or something.
That was me, I think in the other thread about EW having a heart :thumb:

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Carson wrote:
grendeljd wrote:Can't find the quote, but someone posted about a missed opportunity for a more comedic moment in the panel of EW popping out of the sunroof guns ablazin' - I agree, it would have really added to that if we could have seen a humorous reaction on Arams face there or something.
That was me, I think in the other thread about EW having a heart :thumb:
That's where it was! I thought it was you, Carson - good call on that panel!
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Also forgot to mention - I'm kind of glad this storyline is going on to #9, a five-parter. So we may get two issues of a confrontation with The Immortal Enemy!!! :o :hope: :thumb:

Carson

Post by Carson »

grendeljd wrote:Also forgot to mention - I'm kind of glad this storyline is going on to #9, a five-parter. So we may get two issues of a confrontation with The Immortal Enemy!!! :o :hope: :thumb:
Sweet! Wasn't aware it was a five-parter and I thought they were going to have a lot to pull off in #8.
AKA "The Anti-Chartist: he who made Charty go Sharty"
---------------------
Valiant Fan # 2021
---------------------
G.I. Joe Fan #1
http://www.3DJoes.com