Shadowman #3

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Re: Shadowman #3

Post by pixierosa »

I thought he appeared shrunken, too. Was thinking it was partly because, as he said, there was so little of him left w/o the Shadowman, and partly because he regretted having to give his son the choice of taking on the mantle. I'm sure there's all sorts of other regrets like missing out on life with his son and wife.

You could definitely feel the sorrow in the art. These little moments are why this is more than just a horror book and will make it resonate with a variety of readers (like picky chicks like me).
"Sorry, no. You are absolutely about to pepper spray the wrong guy."

manga4life
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by manga4life »

You're a girl? LoL.

Yeah, I'm sure he regrets not being there for his wife and kid and I'm betting that the scene was drawn to reflect his regrets. I love the little human elements place within this book, it makes it really interesting to me.
NEW BLOG IS UP!

Twitter.com/manga4life

http://manga4life-blog.blogspot.com - 4/13/13 "CLASSIC GAMING: Discovering new gems is always the funnest part."

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Phoenix8008 »

Keith wrote:
Phoenix8008 wrote:
Keith wrote:Just finished reading off Comixology. Great read!! Revelations on Deadside, Jar-Jar Monkey, and a visit from the past. Amazing art from Patch. My only regret is that it's another month wait until the next installment!!
Don't feel too horrible. I still have 3 weeks wait time until I get my hands on all this months books to read them for the first time! :!:

Glad to hear it is a good issue though. Looking forward to seeing more unfold in this title.

You must have the patience of a saint... I'm downloading at 8 AM sharp, and still feeling the withdrawl shakes while I do it! :D
I wish I could, trust me. But remember I'm always a month late so it's only been since Christmas day that I got my last shipment of all the December Valiant issues. So it's only been a couple weeks for me so far waiting.
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

Captain Craig
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Favorite character: XO Manowar/Shadowman
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: tough one

Post by Captain Craig »

I was wondering how I missed this thread.

I await more next month. It was a middling effort. Still great promise. Expected more out of the Mr.Twist attack. Need more Shadowman. While there is something to be said for him not just suddenly being "all in control" of the power. Which it seems he's not fully embraced cause he's offered a chance to pass on the "job". It would be nice to see more Shadowman going forward.
I'm guessing events transpire that cause him to want the job.

manga4life

Post by manga4life »

I think we will see more Shadowman as soon as the next issue seeing as how issue #3 ended, people just need to be patient. We are only on the third issue after all. Now that Jack has come to terms that he is the Shadowman and now that he's had the talk with his father I'm sure he's going to dive right in now and help fight the good fight, the way issue #3 ended I can't see this turning out any other way
NEW BLOG IS UP!

Twitter.com/manga4life

http://manga4life-blog.blogspot.com - 4/13/13 "CLASSIC GAMING: Discovering new gems is always the funnest part."

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

This one is a slow starter for me. Mr. Twist is fantastic, but Darque just seems like your average power-hungry prick and Jack hasn't been that interesting. The art is fantastic, though, and I still have high hopes for where this is going.

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

BugsySig wrote:I liked the issue. As Pixierosa said, good action, plot development, some answers...But I found some of the dialogue needs work (again).

It's really my only complaint, but some of it comes off as cheesy ("I hate plan B.") while at other times its a bit confusing (Twist's conversation with Lionel, Jack's convo with his Dad). I think the purpose is to be mysterious, but its more clunky than anything. Maybe it will read better on the second go round...

The book is beautiful, though, and the plot is moving right along at a good pace. I just need more Shadoman and less Jack, at least for the next few issues. I feel like I have a good sense of who Jack is at this point, now I want to learn what Shadowman is all about.

I might need a second read to appreciate this issue more, but I agree that some of the dialogue is letting the series down, just a bit.

I found it odd that until very recently Jack was just an ordinary fella, he wakes up to find himself in Deadside with a talking monkey on his chest and takes it all in his stride a bit too easily? This doesn't feel like a realistic reaction to that situation? Secondly, his smart arse banter with the monkey also comes off as odd...presumably this is the first time he's encountered a talking monke yet he just relaxes into the situation like it's no biggee? :? A bit more realism (ie how characters react to presumably terrifying situations) would be beneficial IMO.

Enjoyed the interaction he had with his dad, this was an interesting few pages. Art looked great as ever.

In summary, potentially a very good book, but just missing the x factor at the moment!

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
BugsySig wrote:I liked the issue. As Pixierosa said, good action, plot development, some answers...But I found some of the dialogue needs work (again).

It's really my only complaint, but some of it comes off as cheesy ("I hate plan B.") while at other times its a bit confusing (Twist's conversation with Lionel, Jack's convo with his Dad). I think the purpose is to be mysterious, but its more clunky than anything. Maybe it will read better on the second go round...

The book is beautiful, though, and the plot is moving right along at a good pace. I just need more Shadoman and less Jack, at least for the next few issues. I feel like I have a good sense of who Jack is at this point, now I want to learn what Shadowman is all about.

I might need a second read to appreciate this issue more, but I agree that some of the dialogue is letting the series down, just a bit.

I found it odd that until very recently Jack was just an ordinary fella, he wakes up to find himself in Deadside with a talking monkey on his chest and takes it all in his stride a bit too easily? This doesn't feel like a realistic reaction to that situation? Secondly, his smart arse banter with the monkey also comes off as odd...presumably this is the first time he's encountered a talking monke yet he just relaxes into the situation like it's no biggee? :? A bit more realism (ie how characters react to presumably terrifying situations) would be beneficial IMO.

Enjoyed the interaction he had with his dad, this was an interesting few pages. Art looked great as ever.

In summary, potentially a very good book, but just missing the x factor at the moment!
The banter with Jaunty didn't bother me...must just be all the years of reading about and watching talking monkeys :lol:

I suppose after being kidnapped by shape shifting cop-monsters, surviving two gun shot wounds, being shown magic exists and getting your *SQUEE* kicked by a living pile of teeth and entrails wearing a white suit, a talking monkey isn't that shocking. :?
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Brother Darque

Post by Brother Darque »

i can tell the look of Deadside was inspired by The Cabinet of of Dr. Caligari.

cavemold
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.

Post by cavemold »

The Beyonder wrote:
cavemold wrote:http://www.comicvine.com/shadowman-/37- ... w_id=34182
my review give it a look
5/5 Jauntys here Huss.

Lol! Love it!
THATS RIGHT HUSS 8-)

cavemold

Post by cavemold »

Brother Darque wrote:i can tell the look of Deadside was inspired by The Cabinet of of Dr. Caligari.

Oh thats good . well played VALIANT

JustinJordan
I make Valiant comics.
I make Valiant comics.

Post by JustinJordan »

Brother Darque wrote:i can tell the look of Deadside was inspired by The Cabinet of of Dr. Caligari.

Yup yup.

Patrick and I both love that movie.

drmirage
WOW! OMG BBQ! Thats crazy!
WOW! OMG BBQ! Thats crazy!
Valiant fan since: 1990
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by drmirage »

Nice of you to stop by Justin!

carter3175

Post by carter3175 »

OK issue 3 was the best by far. I like what I am reading and I have no complaints about this issue. Great job!

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Got more out of this issue on the second read and I'm interested to see where the story goes. My preference would still be that the book be more serious/horror in tone than superhero-esque with the clever banter whilst in perilous situations (leave that to A&A). Maybe something more towards the Vertigo end of the spectrum but without the F bombs?

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

I've read this issue three times now... Really great stuff in there. Amazing artwork as always, & good plot advancement with some really cool concepts for the deadside.

Things I liked in particular;

Jaunty - I'm not familiar with the original version, but this 'monkey' is cool! I liked that Jack called him on the silly dialogue, and he mostly stopped talking like that. Can't wait to learn more about him. Someone here mentioned the idea of him changing his form at will, I like that possibility. I also think Jacks reaction to him & banter was great - he has already seen quite a bit of bizarre crap in a short time leading up to this moment, and his first reaction to Jaunty & the Deadside was perfect - "Still crazy".

The Deadside - love the look of it, that's very interesting to hear its influenced by that old movie. I want to check that out now. The visuals also made me think of Lovecraft - there is a story where the characters discover some of the elder race' architecture, and it is described as having geometry that doesn't make sense to see, it is beyond human comprehension.

Dox's Grand Veves - their energy protects him, and keeps Mr Twist 'out'. Soo cool, this is what I expected & hoped to see from the b&w previews before #1 was out. I had incorporated this idea into my entry for that Shadowman Re-design contest. :D

Devereaux - this guy is coming across as either a completely oblivious idiot, or an overconfident jackass (or a combination of the two). The way he showed up at Dox's with his cheesy line, and the way he boldly questions this giant, powerful demonic creature's actions... I'm thinking he is an idiot, and it's cool that there is a character like that - it would have been easier to write another tough guy in the role, but I like this better. Looking forward to seeing what happens to him.

Jack's 'choice' - someone else posted this & I agree, it was a good story moment and I like how it was handled. No over the top 'you have to save the world' crap, just 'do it or don't'.

Josiah - great to see him appear again, great for the story & I'm glad Jack got to meet him. Interesting puzzle regarding what he was doing - I'm pretty sure, from re-reading the dialogue a few times, that he was blocking the gateway to prevent Darque from coming back through. I think the place we are seeing Darque in is not the deadside, and that he is using Twist to create a shortcut around the deadside (or maybe to just punch through it).

Whether Josiah was blocking all others from travelling through does seem to be open for debate, as has been posted above. Based on Jaunty's description of the place, the random assortment of beings/souls/ghosts that reside there is normal, so I don't think all the ghosts are trapped - some think they are already in the 'afterlife'. Then again, he is referring to someone acting as a tollbooth attendant and implies the pathway is blocked by that person, which could be either Josiah or Darque... I'm thinking he means Josiah though.

All in all, I am really enjoying the series so far! Looking forward to the big finish of the origin arc. I think it is a great balance of action and story, it's fleshing out Jack as a character before he fully takes on the mantle of Shadowman & I love that. There will be years of stories to come where we'll get to see plenty of Shadowman in action.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

JustinJordan wrote:

Yup yup.

Patrick and I both love that movie.
How often do you listen to "Otherside" by the Red Hot Chili Peppers when you're writing? :D

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

grendeljd wrote:I've read this issue three times now... Really great stuff in there. Amazing artwork as always, & good plot advancement with some really cool concepts for the deadside.

Devereaux - this guy is coming across as either a completely oblivious idiot, or an overconfident jackass (or a combination of the two). The way he showed up at Dox's with his cheesy line, and the way he boldly questions this giant, powerful demonic creature's actions... I'm thinking he is an idiot, and it's cool that there is a character like that - it would have been easier to write another tough guy in the role, but I like this better. Looking forward to seeing what happens to him.
I really think Devereaux and his group will be tied in with the Sect. Seems like one of their groups - arrogant, bureaucratic to the point of absurdity, and very matter-of-fact/humorless. I really think the Sect/Boon are going to be the "Solar" that ties the VEI universe together.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

lorddunlow wrote:
grendeljd wrote:I've read this issue three times now... Really great stuff in there. Amazing artwork as always, & good plot advancement with some really cool concepts for the deadside.

I really think Devereaux and his group will be tied in with the Sect. Seems like one of their groups - arrogant, bureaucratic to the point of absurdity, and very matter-of-fact/humorless. I really think the Sect/Boon are going to be the "Solar" that ties the VEI universe together.
I agree. I think we will start to see a lot of connections between Shadowman and A&A. If you read FVLs explanation of The Null and how the Geomancer's power works, it ties right in.

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

BugsySig wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:

I agree. I think we will start to see a lot of connections between Shadowman and A&A. If you read FVLs explanation of The Null and how the Geomancer's power works, it ties right in.
I agree also, however there is only one "Solar" for VEI and her name is Erica! 8-)

hawkeyeps

Post by hawkeyeps »

It was stated that the Deadside is a hub between other dimensions, what if Darque was forced from our world through the Deadside and after a big battle with Josiah he was forced to the "Lyceum"?

Josiah thinking that the power of that dimension (sages/scholars) could control Darque and forced him there, however as we have seen it didn't work out so good for that dimension and now Darque wants to get back to our dimension, his home dimension.

Was that glowy gate that old worn out Josiah was in front of the gate to Lyceum? Is Josiah guarding the spot where he expelled Darque long ago?

Josiah must know that Darque is strong and his gambit did not pay off, he also knows that as Darque gets stronger he gets weaker due to his long vigilence. Will it end up being Jack's job to defend the Deadside once he realizes it's this hub to other worlds?

All this back story has #0 issue written all over it, it sure is fun to speculate!

Stringer
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by Stringer »

It was a great read. And as I said on another forum, now that Jack accepted -- and willingly endowed the legacy of Shadowman, I'm really looking forward to see his next encounter with Mr. Twist. He's got a nice set of weapons [Sengese scythe and Gris-gris], so I want to see his fighting style fleshed out some more when he puts to use those tools at his disposal in the midst of battle against an opponent like Mr. Twist.

I can't wait to read the 4th's issue! Should be pretty good. ^^

Justin and Patrick are building something good here, and I hope they keep challenging themselves. Also, hooray for my first post in valiant forums. It's a shame I didn't join sooner.

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by pixierosa »

Stringer wrote:

Justin and Patrick are building something good here, and I hope they keep challenging themselves. Also, hooray for my first post in valiant forums. It's a shame I didn't join sooner.
Agreed! #3 was an excellent issue. And welcome to the forum!
"Sorry, no. You are absolutely about to pepper spray the wrong guy."

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Stringer wrote:It was a great read. And as I said on another forum, now that Jack accepted -- and willingly endowed the legacy of Shadowman, I'm really looking forward to see his next encounter with Mr. Twist. He's got a nice set of weapons [Sengese scythe and Gris-gris], so I want to see his fighting style fleshed out some more when he puts to use those tools at his disposal in the midst of battle against an opponent like Mr. Twist.

Welcome :thumb:

hawkeyeps

Post by hawkeyeps »

Stringer wrote:It was a great read. And as I said on another forum, now that Jack accepted -- and willingly endowed the legacy of Shadowman, I'm really looking forward to see his next encounter with Mr. Twist. He's got a nice set of weapons [Sengese scythe and Gris-gris], so I want to see his fighting style fleshed out some more when he puts to use those tools at his disposal in the midst of battle against an opponent like Mr. Twist.

Welcome, can never have too many Canadians :high-five: