X-O MANOWAR #8 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

KXXX
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: Shadowman N64
Favorite character: 2012 Torque
Location: Up your butt and around the corner, all the way to California
Re: X-O MANOWAR #8 Discussion

Post by KXXX »

Helios wrote:I was totally making sound effects out loud when Aric stormed the MI-6 HQ. People looked at me and I didn't care.
:high-five:

Pretty sure I did the same. Alone, thankfully. :lol:

Carson
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by Carson »

SJS4 wrote: If Nord cannot keep up with a monthly series, this duo would make an excellent tag team with Nord.
I don't think any great artist pencils 12 issues a year. Nord said to me at the NC Comicon panel he plans to handle 6-7 issues a year. I'm just repeating this so everyone has their expectations set.

I agree with you that the pencil/ink combo from 5-8 were totally adequate and a nice compliment to Nord's work.

Cary is inking his own stuff now and it looks great, but as you can imagine that takes more time. We've all seen the black and white preview from Planet Death and it looks gorgeous.
http://valiantuniverse.com/2012/12/07/n ... anowar-11/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So far, I'm ecstatic about where Valiant is headed in 2013! We are so lucky to be onboard enjoying these books. The quality is through the roof.

Just read XO 8 again and man, what a great high octane ending to XO's first few days back on earth.
AKA "The Anti-Chartist: he who made Charty go Sharty"
---------------------
Valiant Fan # 2021
---------------------
G.I. Joe Fan #1
http://www.3DJoes.com

cavemold
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.

Post by cavemold »

Hopefully nord can stay on this title a while

Carson

Post by Carson »

cavemold wrote:Hopefully nord can stay on this title a while
Speaking of Nord, check out the commission I just posted!

http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38453" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
---------------------
Valiant Fan # 2021
---------------------
G.I. Joe Fan #1

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

I can't believe no one's mentioned this yet: Ultralight.

We just answered a lot of questions. I guess time, nor the speed of light, are absolute. I sense a potential opening for Solar...

Loved the exaggerated fists on Aric at the end of the battle. "Are there no more?!" I sat back and seized up with energetic excitement for about 20 seconds. What a rush.

Big Red
Valiant fan since: Before the Anni-Padda...
Favorite character: Divinity, X-O, & Bloodshot
Favorite title: Divinity
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine

Post by Big Red »

What an outstanding issue.

This is my favorite book from Valiant. and maybe my favorite book. Period.

I hope that Alexander stays on as a supporting cast member. I really like this dude.

Also, I'm not sure if I'm alone or not, but I prefer Garbett's pencils to Nord's. But both are great.
Favorite books: Black Hammer, Bloodshot, Divinity, Justice League Dark, Marvel Two-In-One, Thor.

Carson

Post by Carson »

Big Red wrote:Also, I'm not sure if I'm alone or not, but I prefer Garbett's pencils to Nord's. But both are great.
I agree Garbett's great, but Nord's return in 11 will blow people away. He's inking his own stuff now and the previews they've shown are awesome. I think they were all hard pressed to get the first arc out and so this new Planet Death arc should raise the bar.

cavemold

Post by cavemold »

Carson wrote:
Big Red wrote:Also, I'm not sure if I'm alone or not, but I prefer Garbett's pencils to Nord's. But both are great.
I agree Garbett's great, but Nord's return in 11 will blow people away. He's inking his own stuff now and the previews they've shown are awesome. I think they were all hard pressed to get the first arc out and so this new Planet Death arc should raise the bar.
I want it now :cloud9:

Chris Campbell
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by Chris Campbell »

Thought they handled the X-O relationship with Ninjak perfectly. Some nice humor to convey a lot in a few panels. Clearly a Ninjak ongoing is well-positioned, especially if Aric is going off world. Perfect point to spin off.
Valiant Podcast available on iTunes, Stitcher, and by direct download at Taylor Network

manga4life

Post by manga4life »

This issue was sick, one of my favorite parts was where Aric and Ninjak decided to keep their truce a little longer, their exchanges between the two of them are just downright epic. I love how they just tore through the MI:16 building like a hot knife through soft butter, but it's going to be more difficult now that Alex has no pull with the council and has been banished.......I think tough times may be ahead for our little group. All in all this issue was fantastic and this book deserves all the amazing praise it's been getting, Ninjak has become my favorite Valiant character and I can't wait to see what Planet Death is going to be like!
NEW BLOG IS UP!

Twitter.com/manga4life

http://manga4life-blog.blogspot.com - 4/13/13 "CLASSIC GAMING: Discovering new gems is always the funnest part."

Captain Craig
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Favorite character: XO Manowar/Shadowman
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: tough one

Post by Captain Craig »

Great wrap up to arc #2 in XO!! The pacing was great the interaction between Ninjak and Aric was well done.

This is currently the best overall book in the line imo!!

Bring on Planet Death!!!

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

Captain Craig wrote:Great wrap up to arc #2 in XO!! The pacing was great the interaction between Ninjak and Aric was well done.

Bring on Planet Death!!!
Welcome Captain Craig, another Valiant Bro from CBR :thumb:

manga4life

Post by manga4life »

Captain Craig wrote:Great wrap up to arc #2 in XO!! The pacing was great the interaction between Ninjak and Aric was well done.

Bring on Planet Death!!!
Hey Craig! It's another CBR guy joining us here on the forums, great to see!

I agree that the book is amazing, it trades places as my favorite with Harbinger like every month....it's crazy lol. Once again, the interactions between Ninjak and Aric are just simply amazing, there is a mutual respect there but you can tell they are weary of eachother.
NEW BLOG IS UP!

Twitter.com/manga4life

http://manga4life-blog.blogspot.com - 4/13/13 "CLASSIC GAMING: Discovering new gems is always the funnest part."

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

XO #8 was another outstanding issue! VDitti continues to balance action/quieter moments perfectly. Love the whole Plantings concept and Alexander is a great supporting cast member.

Lee Garbett draws some really interesting panels, I'm very happy he's on the book. I like Nord too so it's win/win!

This was the first issue showing Ninjak without the mask, right? Enjoyed his conversation with 'Neville' in the cafe, the fact that Neville already knew about the Vine is intriguing. 4.5 out of 5, VEI's best book (and i only read VEI)!

Captain Craig
Favorite character: XO Manowar/Shadowman
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: tough one

Post by Captain Craig »

Thank you gentlemen, glad to have found the place!!

As a sidenote I gave the first XO TPB to a friend in Philly for Christmas. He mainly reads Marvel and TMNT and never really picked up VALIANT before. So now that he has it he has no excuse!!!

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Phoenix8008 »

Finally got to read this today. Great issue and a very good wrap up of arc#2.

Noticed a few things that I'm not sure have been mentioned yet by anyone. If so, forgive me as I may well have missed it. These are guesses/assumptions, but feel free to discuss or dissect.

Theory #1
1. Aric is normally right handed. In issue #1 whenever he uses a sword one handed, he uses it right handed.
2. In issue #5 when he is torturing Alexander with the broken sword fragment, he is again using it right handed.
3. Every time we see him using the armor's 'lightning sword' with only one hand, he is using it left handed though (other than in cover art). We see this in issue #6 vs. Ninjak and #8 vs the Vine at MI-6.
4. Conclusion: the lightning sword is generated or only usable by the left hand, which I believe is totally artificial (unknown to Aric) and is the link to the armor like the control ring was in VH1. In fact, I think that loss of mass was the reason he survived and all the other 'perfect warriors' of the Vine died. I think the armor needs to 'place' a piece of itself in the host to become the link/control function. It tried to fill in some empty space inside the Vine warriors and this resulted in death for them.

Theory #2
1. In issue #4 and in issue #8 when they switch scenes to 'Manhatten' to go to Alexander's apartment, it shows a couple of distinct buildings in the background.
2. One of these buildings is a regular real world landmark while the other one has a white ball, or sphere, or... ORB on top of it.
3. Conclusion: Alexander is the one who already controls Orb Industries (previously for the Vine) and that is how that corp will come into the storyline once Aric returns to Earth after Planet Death.
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Phoenix8008 wrote:Finally got to read this today. Great issue and a very good wrap up of arc#2.

Noticed a few things that I'm not sure have been mentioned yet by anyone. If so, forgive me as I may well have missed it. These are guesses/assumptions, but feel free to discuss or dissect.

Theory #1
1. Aric is normally right handed. In issue #1 whenever he uses a sword one handed, he uses it right handed.
2. In issue #5 when he is torturing Alexander with the broken sword fragment, he is again using it right handed.
3. Every time we see him using the armor's 'lightning sword' with only one hand, he is using it left handed though (other than in cover art). We see this in issue #6 vs. Ninjak and #8 vs the Vine at MI-6.
4. Conclusion: the lightning sword is generated or only usable by the left hand, which I believe is totally artificial (unknown to Aric) and is the link to the armor like the control ring was in VH1. In fact, I think that loss of mass was the reason he survived and all the other 'perfect warriors' of the Vine died. I think the armor needs to 'place' a piece of itself in the host to become the link/control function. It tried to fill in some empty space inside the Vine warriors and this resulted in death for them.

Theory #2
1. In issue #4 and in issue #8 when they switch scenes to 'Manhatten' to go to Alexander's apartment, it shows a couple of distinct buildings in the background.
2. One of these buildings is a regular real world landmark while the other one has a white ball, or sphere, or... ORB on top of it.
3. Conclusion: Alexander is the one who already controls Orb Industries (previously for the Vine) and that is how that corp will come into the storyline once Aric returns to Earth after Planet Death.
Great catch on the lightning sword. That seems like too big a coincidence to not be meaningfull.

I noticed the Orb building in #4 and I think it is a strong possibility that Alexander is in control of Orb, or at least very high up. Perhaps after Planet Death, he has Aric take out the person in charge (Lydia?).
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Some interesting XO theories being kicked around...as an FYI V-Ditti will be doing a twitter Q&A sometime soon so keep an eye out as he may be able to confirm the accuracy of your interesting theories!

Blood of Heroes
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.

Post by Blood of Heroes »

Phoenix8008 wrote:Finally got to read this today. Great issue and a very good wrap up of arc#2.

Theory #1

Theory #2
Genius! :thumb:

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by pixierosa »

Theory #1

Theory #2
Good catch! Very interesting... :hm:
"Sorry, no. You are absolutely about to pepper spray the wrong guy."

hawkeyeps

Post by hawkeyeps »

The hand thing is a cool theory but I see one little problem with it.

In the preview pages we have seen from Nord we see the first time Shanhara bonded with the Vine and the Vine dude seems to be in tact. Particularly in the panel where the armor is wrapping around him, he seems to have all his parts.

hawkeyeps

Post by hawkeyeps »

I think maybe the key to the bonding is the fact that the Vine was oppressed at the time.

We see the Vine pulling down trees and it's possible they percieve it as the plants giving the armor to them to protect the plants and this how plant life became sacred to the Vine. For in protecting the plants their race was also liberated.

It's possible the seed or pod chose the Vine simply because they were the opressed and that is why they have not been able to bond since, because they are now liberated. Aric was probably the first oppressed being to try bonding with the armor since this original incident.

This also ties in with the fruit scene with Alexander and Aric, Alexander thinks the Vine's beliefs are false and maybe he's right.

Basicly the Vine missed the point all together and built an entire culture around these false perceptions.

Perhaps that's why Gafti may eventually get the armor as he is now the oppressed and Aric would be the opressor invading the Vine home world.

That is great example of "with great power comes great responsibility", if this power is abused it can turn on you.

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by pixierosa »

hawkeyeps wrote:I think maybe the key to the bonding is the fact that the Vine was oppressed at the time.

We see the Vine pulling down trees and it's possible they percieve it as the plants giving the armor to them to protect the plants and this how plant life became sacred to the Vine. For in protecting the plants their race was also liberated.

It's possible the seed or pod chose the Vine simply because they were the opressed and that is why they have not been able to bond since, because they are now liberated. Aric was probably the first oppressed being to try bonding with the armor since this original incident.

This also ties in with the fruit scene with Alexander and Aric, Alexander thinks the Vine's beliefs are false and maybe he's right.

Basicly the Vine missed the point all together and built an entire culture around these false perceptions.

Perhaps that's why Gafti may eventually get the armor as he is now the oppressed and Aric would be the opressor invading the Vine home world.

That is great example of "with great power comes great responsibility", if this power is abused it can turn on you.
I wondered about that, too. The suit does seem self-aware (think of how it seemed to look at Aric when he was tranquilized by Ninjak and couldn't bond with the armor. Perhaps it has something to do with what it "sees" in the wearer. Although Aric can be bloodthirsty, in this case he is fighting against an oppressor. It probably wouldn't have bonded with him back in his raiding days.

I do like the idea of the sword only being generated by the created hand... like an extension of the suit similar to the ring. (Now if Luke Skywalker had his lightsaber built into his robotic hand, think of the possibilities. Much harder to drop. :) I'm looking at you, Velma Dinkley, and you're stinking eyeglasses.) :D
"Sorry, no. You are absolutely about to pepper spray the wrong guy."

Phoenix8008
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Phoenix8008 »

hawkeyeps wrote:I think maybe the key to the bonding is the fact that the Vine was oppressed at the time.

Interesting. I could totally see that as well, although I have a few issues that make me wonder if this was supposed to be the case. The artwork we've seen showing the Vine person getting the X-O armor looked like a stylized retelling of the history. This may even be what their history book is supposed to be showing. It's like a mythical story for them. It wouldn't be unheard of for an imperfection pertaining to someone that is a cultural hero to be 'airbrushed' out so that it is no longer referenced.

Also, why do all the Vine still have the other classes of Manowar armor that still function fine without turning on the 'oppressors'? I understand they may not be self aware like the Manowar, but it seems a little weird that they have all these others but not the main one. Unless they are just purely technological offshoots of the techno/organic unique Manowar armor.
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

Carson

Post by Carson »

Theory #1

Theory #2
You hit the nail on the head! Venditty said at the NC Comicon panel that the severed hand was the generator of the lightning sword.

They haven't talked it up publicly because Warren thinks it'll be impossible to keep up with over time (with rotating artists and all), but that is certainly Venditty's thinking.

Awesome you caught that. :thumb:

Venditty did say the "covers aren't canon" so you will see some inaccuracies (like the lightning sword in the wrong hand) get a pass. That helps when you have illustrators doing one off covers of a character they don't know a ton about.
---------------------
Valiant Fan # 2021
---------------------
G.I. Joe Fan #1