ARCHER & ARMSTRONG 5 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
Re: ARCHER & ARMSTRONG 5 Discussion

Post by BugsySig »

hawkeyeps wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
hawkeyeps wrote:
jmatt wrote:
Elveen wrote:
jmatt wrote:Anyone notice that Gilad's first official appearance (not including Boon teasers) in the VEI universe is a picture of his Fist? :)

Just a small point, Gilly's 1st app is XO #1 He is in the battle scene.
Not this again. :lol: Even if Dino said its true, the character is not referred to as Gilad nor does he do anything that would indicate who he is. If Stan Lee grabbed any random comic book pre Amazing Fantasy 15 and said "See this guy delivering newspapers in the background of this panel? That's Peter Parker!" it would not make it the first appearance of the character in the eyes of readers.

If at some point we revisit that time period and there's more meat added to the debate, I'll be happy to consider it. Heck, I think the Boon storyline promo has a better claim to his first appearance than anonymous guy #47 in a panel of X-O #1. :D
One thing about his appearnce in XO #1 is you can clearly see his trademark triple scars across his face. There has to be story behind that, why did those scars never fully heal? Gilad has had those scars for a long damn time.
Except the scars are going in the opposite direction...more fodder that it isn't necessarily Gilad. :wink:
Oh Dude! You're right they were on the right side in XO 1 then the left in A&A 5, now I have to explain this away like the last page of Bloodshot 4 with the reversed speech bubbles :!:

Thanks Bugs :( :lol:
Yeah, it is also in the opposite direction on the FCBD teaser image. My guess is it was rejiggered when Zircher did the full design, but after I brought it up in a thread a while back one of the OTV guys (Elveen I think) asked the panel about it at one of the cons.

We got some answer about the scars being caused by the Immortal Enemy and them returning when he returns...but I'm pretty sure it was just changed because it the scars were in the current form in A&A #5 during the China flashback. That would have taken place before the battle in XO #1.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

SJS4
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by SJS4 »

jmatt wrote:
Elveen wrote:
jmatt wrote:Anyone notice that Gilad's first official appearance (not including Boon teasers) in the VEI universe is a picture of his Fist? :)

Just a small point, Gilly's 1st app is XO #1 He is in the battle scene.
Not this again. :lol: Even if Dino said its true, the character is not referred to as Gilad nor does he do anything that would indicate who he is. If Stan Lee grabbed any random comic book pre Amazing Fantasy 15 and said "See this guy delivering newspapers in the background of this panel? That's Peter Parker!" it would not make it the first appearance of the character in the eyes of readers.

If at some point we revisit that time period and there's more meat added to the debate, I'll be happy to consider it. Heck, I think the Boon storyline promo has a better claim to his first appearance than anonymous guy #47 in a panel of X-O #1. :D
I think you are intentionally downplaying the appearance in order to justify a pre-concieved opinion.

We were told Gilad would be in X-O #1 before the comic was even released. This is not even close to being the same as Stan Lee pointing out a random character from a comic published 50 years ago. Gilad also is not just a single appearance in the background of one panel. He is in several parts of the story and is given a "speaking role." Additionally, the character referenced was given a specific set of facial scars that matched the first image released of the Eternal Warrior in the FCBD issue that was published in the same month.

I guess anyone can have their own definition of a first appearance, but to summarize: 1) Told ahead of time he would be in the issue, 1) Only one character in the issue had matching facial scars with the Eternal Warrior Promo, 3) Character appeared in several panels/pages and had a speaking role.
Kurt Busiek wrote: Bull$#!t

Big Red
Valiant fan since: Before the Anni-Padda...
Favorite character: Divinity, X-O, & Bloodshot
Favorite title: Divinity
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine

Post by Big Red »

Enjoyed this issue, though not as good as issues 3 & 4.

My favorite part was seeing Archer have success fighting Gilad where Aram was not having much luck.

EW was one of my favorites in the original Valiant Universe.

And while I enjoyed seeing him as a kick-butt warrior, I had hoped that he would be more likeable...

I hope this changes by next issue.
Favorite books: Black Hammer, Bloodshot, Divinity, Justice League Dark, Marvel Two-In-One, Thor.

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.

Post by FormerReader »

Big Red wrote:Enjoyed this issue, though not as good as issues 3 & 4.

My favorite part was seeing Archer have success fighting Gilad where Aram was not having much luck.

And while I enjoyed seeing him as a kick-butt warrior, I had hoped that he would be more likeable...

I agree. I did not enjoy it as much as issues 3 and 4 (still pretty good though). I think we are seeing this version of Gilad due to the Geomancer having just been killed. I think once the new Geomancer is in place Gilad will change dramatically. I will admit I don't mind him not being likeable though. In reality someone who has been fighting for centuries is not going to be a pleasant person.

cavemold
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.

Post by cavemold »

FormerReader wrote:
Big Red wrote:Enjoyed this issue, though not as good as issues 3 & 4.

I agree. I did not enjoy it as much as issues 3 and 4 (still pretty good though). I think we are seeing this version of Gilad due to the Geomancer having just been killed. I think once the new Geomancer is in place Gilad will change dramatically. I will admit I don't mind him not being likeable though. In reality someone who has been fighting for centuries is not going to be a pleasant person.
Agreed :high-five:

Jaknife
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Jaknife »

carter3175 wrote:I also like the "force of nature" concept too! This has been my least favorite book out of the bunch but its not a bad book though. The one thing I do not like is the boxes explaining fighting techniques all the time. I think we covered that in the 1st issue. We know Archer is a master of ______ <----Fill in the style.
Honestly, this is one of my favorite parts. It's unique, it's cool, it adds to his actions. And I don't feel they are overusing it, because I do understand sometimes gimmicky stuff is too constant, but this feels balanced.

Big Red
Valiant fan since: Before the Anni-Padda...
Favorite character: Divinity, X-O, & Bloodshot
Favorite title: Divinity
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine

Post by Big Red »

Jaknife wrote:
carter3175 wrote:I also like the "force of nature" concept too! This has been my least favorite book out of the bunch but its not a bad book though. The one thing I do not like is the boxes explaining fighting techniques all the time. I think we covered that in the 1st issue. We know Archer is a master of ______ <----Fill in the style.
Honestly, this is one of my favorite parts. It's unique, it's cool, it adds to his actions. And I don't feel they are overusing it, because I do understand sometimes gimmicky stuff is too constant, but this feels balanced.
I like it too. I feel that it adds to the book.
Favorite books: Black Hammer, Bloodshot, Divinity, Justice League Dark, Marvel Two-In-One, Thor.

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Phoenix8008 »

Can't wait to see what Gilad is like once he's out of 'Rage' mode. He'll still be a *SQUEE* I'm sure, but it'll be nice to get a baseline. :twisted:
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Big Red wrote:
Jaknife wrote:
+1 :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

erwinrafael
Favorite character: Aram
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Pere Perez

Post by erwinrafael »

Big Red wrote:
Jaknife wrote:
Yes, like how David Aja and Matt Hollingsworth used to highlight some of the hits in Immortal Iron Fist using a red circle highlight.