Harbinger Omegas #3

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Harbinger Omegas #3

Post by jmatt »

Another great issue!

I find it interesting that they're using actual political figures in the storyline. I think it makes the book more tangible than invented stand-ins for President, etc.

Is that actually Tull in Kris' head? Hmmm... I like that she spurned Pete's rescue mission. There's more depth with character conflict.

Is Peter trying to kill himself? I'm guessing his instincts will kick in and break the fall.

dornwolf
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Re: Harbinger Omegas #3

Post by dornwolf »

jmatt wrote:
Is Peter trying to kill himself? I'm guessing his instincts will kick in and break the fall.
That was my question, Did Peter commit suicide by space? Goes up and eventually tires out loses his shield and dies. Hope not Peters character has come a long way. Looking forward to see how he'll slide into Imperium.

Thomas
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Gilad Anni-Padda

Post by Thomas »

Okay this might be a spoiler but you have to read this it's the greatest quote from a comic I have read recently:
It's Obama saying: "Tell me that jerk Putin isn't somewhere riding a horse shirtless, talking about dropping nukes."
Okay maybe I'm the only one who found that funny. :D

Great issue.

the1captain

Post by the1captain »

Enjoyed this series but felt mostly like set up for the next story rather than a story in itself. One idea I really like is how in a lot of comics, TV, movies, ect there is a recurring theme of young people thinking they know what's right and they have to take down the older "evil" established types. But here we see the consequences of winning that war and how it wasn't necessarily a good thing for the "heroes" to win.

David_Cody
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O 14
Favorite character: Sting
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by David_Cody »

I loved it. I think that Harbinger has just consistently been a great page-turner. Yea, yea, it might have had elements inserted for what's coming up, but so what? You have to get that writing in somehow.

It had great backstory and I loved how Harada and Sting were communicating underwater half a world away. The issue just kicked A&A25's arse.

erwinrafael
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Favorite character: Aram
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Pere Perez

Post by erwinrafael »

david_albuq wrote:I loved it. I think that Harbinger has just consistently been a great page-turner. Yea, yea, it might have had elements inserted for what's coming up, but so what? You have to get that writing in somehow.

It had great backstory and I loved how Harada and Sting were communicating underwater half a world away. The issue just kicked A&A25's arse.
LOL. They are both great. I don't understand why A&A has to be put down.

David_Cody
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O 14
Favorite character: Sting
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by David_Cody »

I -loved- the original A&A 1-12. I LOVED the Acclaim Q&A. Every damn issue. The pair was absolutely brilliant. This new re-telling, I cannot get into. And I gave A&A 6-7issues and gave Q&A at least nine.

But this Harbinger series has been the bomb-diggedy! I freaking loved VH1 1-25 and so far it has kept my interest past the #25 point.

ValiantChris1994
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Dr. Mirage
Favorite title: The Second Life of Dr. Mirage

Post by ValiantChris1994 »

This issue *SQUEE* me off something fierce! I too felt that it wasn't a story in its own right. I thought this miniseries would be the grand finale to this storyline, or at the very least, a climactic story that edges things further to the endgame, but instead, this whole mini just feels like setup for a future series. To me, this has basically wasted three months simply saying that 'Harada is in Africa, and the world is none too pleased with him'. I also didn't like that Peter's character never changes from the first pages of Omegas to the last. He never really confronted anything, nor did the story even really have a climax, or any kind of showdown. It just stopped.

The artwork was great though, as was the cover, which is very stylish!

nonamesuitcaseman.blogspot.com.au/

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

I agree. Still enjoyed it.
I Miss the good old days.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

Wow. Dysart brought me back in after my interest waned for the last few Harbinger issues - starting just before the Armor Hunters tie-in.

The last panel was the most powerful - Harada has shown was a POS he really is and acknowledges he is a dictator a few pages before the end, threatens the one guy for voicing his view of Harada as a tyrant, then leads directly to Harada as Christ washing the feet of the poor. Mind blown.
Last edited by lorddunlow on Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:17:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Bone-A-Fach-ee
Valiant fan since: '92
Favorite character: Tony Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger/Imperium
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry

Post by Bone-A-Fach-ee »

No offense to anyone complaining that this story didn't do anything but set up another arc. I was gripped by this mini the entire time. Before we even get to the sheer brilliance that is Joshua Dysart, Rafa Sandoval has popped up on my radar in a BIG way! Dude crushed it this arc! So pleasantly surprised by someone (who to me) is an unknown. Amazing amazing job sir!
Now, Josh Dysart. Every line from every character was amazing. I thoroughly enjoyed every panel of this issue. So amazing. I don't care if this "goes nowhere". I'm a wrestling fan too. That storyline never goes anywhere, but it's still entertaining and enjoyable. The difference is this is stellar, thought provoking, well written work.
Sometimes you just have to enjoy it for what it is, instead of what you think it should have been. If you look at it that way, this arc was flawless.

SJS4

Post by SJS4 »

I enjoyed the series, but it would have made more sense as issues 26-28 of Harbinger. Looks like Imperium will be issues 29+. Definitely looking forward to reading that series. :thumb:
Kurt Busiek wrote: Bull$#!t

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

SJS4 wrote:I enjoyed the series, but it would have made more sense as issues 26-28 of Harbinger. Looks like Imperium will be issues 29+. Definitely looking forward to reading that series. :thumb:
+1
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

erwinrafael

Post by erwinrafael »

lorddunlow wrote:
SJS4 wrote:I enjoyed the series, but it would have made more sense as issues 26-28 of Harbinger. Looks like Imperium will be issues 29+. Definitely looking forward to reading that series. :thumb:
+1
The series would have a harder time to boost sales and increase the series longevity if they do not relaunch. It's the nature of today's market.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

erwinrafael wrote:

The series would have a harder time to boost sales and increase the series longevity if they do not relaunch. It's the nature of today's market.
Paradoxically, I think you're both right. As an arc, it read like issues 26-28 in that nothing is really resolved, per se, by #3; but it makes the book more accessible to new readers by breaking it out as a pseudo-mini.

erwinrafael

Post by erwinrafael »

jmatt wrote:
erwinrafael wrote:

Paradoxically, I think you're both right. As an arc, it read like issues 26-28 in that nothing is really resolved, per se, by #3; but it makes the book more accessible to new readers by breaking it out as a pseudo-mini.
Omegas is not really the relaunch. I think it is just a bridge series. Imperium is the new series, which I think they will structure in such a way that reading Harbinger and Omegas would be enriching, but not necessary.

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

I loved it and the best part was when the president said "where is PRS, get them in here".

It makes total sense, how can all this stuff with Harada be going on and PRS is doing nothing? That means more HARD Corps and that makes me happy.

I hope these events are reflected in the other books as these were game changing events that would be known the world over.

One thing I do find ironic is that Toyo is now doing in Africa the exact same thing that he just tried to stop Aric from doing in Romania. As happened with Aric he will find unforeseen forces rising against him, I think Pete is the least of Harada's worries right now.

As for what happens to Pete and his far out freak out we'll see :hm:

Another interesting question is what is Peter's level of awareness with regards to the XO and the Armor Hunters thing, is he aware of all that or was he too out of it to notice? I think if I was Harada I would be most worried about Livewire, she was his former right hand and she has an affinity with Shanhara and now one with Gin-Gr.

It's also interesting that there is no mention of psiots in 4001 but something big happened with tech and now Japan and the Earth are divided.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

I just had an unexpected thought pop into my head:

I don't like this Peter. (there's one for the quotes thread)

I don't like nihilistic Peter. It's not that he's boring, it's that he's so pathetic. It makes me not want to care about him because he doesn't care about himself. Even when he was being heroic and battling Harada mano-a-mano, he was trying to kill himself.

He rejects his friends. He runs away. He shuns the world. He hides from himself with drugs. He wallows in self-pity.

It's hard to cheer for someone like that. I hope Josh changes that.

Bone-A-Fach-ee
Valiant fan since: '92
Favorite character: Tony Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger/Imperium
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry

Post by Bone-A-Fach-ee »

jmatt wrote:I just had an unexpected thought pop into my head:

I don't like nihilistic Peter. It's not that he's boring, it's that he's so pathetic. It makes me not want to care about him because he doesn't care about himself. Even when he was being heroic and battling Harada mano-a-mano, he was trying to kill himself.

He rejects his friends. He runs away. He shuns the world. He hides from himself with drugs. He wallows in self-pity.

I understand that. On the flip side, I find it interesting, and different. He was a product of the system, and not a heroic person to start with. Just because he has powers doesn't make him a hero.... or a villain. It's a pretty different depiction of someone with "Omega" Class powers (for lack a of a better term here) to not utilize them for any good, or bad in the world. It's intriguing, and I think his character is written to produce a reaction from the reader, which he certainly does, whether positive or negative.

Plus, I dig how he just let's his iPhone float around, doesn't even put it in his pocket. That's a good use of power :clap:

erwinrafael

Post by erwinrafael »

jmatt wrote:I just had an unexpected thought pop into my head:

I don't think pathetic is the correct description. I think Dysart is actually giving us a realistic depiction of a young boy awakening with godly powers, institutionalized for years, and then have two good friends die on his account, with one dying because they tried to play superheroes.

What I find interesting with this series is that Dysart seems to be telling us that if you have an Omega that does not have the hero complex, you get Peter. You want an Omega who actually wants to be a hero who would use his powers to correct the evils of the world? You get Harada. Maybe Dysart is telling us that nobody is actually supposed to wield this kind of power. The danger of holding too much power is a constant in VEI, whether it be Aric with the X-O Armor or Archer with the control of the Sect. It's always the outsider who gives the powerful the proper perspective, whether it be Faith in the case of Peter, Aram in the case of Barry, and Gilad and Livewire in the case of Aric.

What I am dreading is that Dysart may be setting up Peter to actually become the Destroyer, as foreseen by the Bleeding Monk. That might become Harbinger Vol. 3, after Imperium.

hawkeyeps

Post by hawkeyeps »

I think it's interesting that the Bleeding Monk no longer cares, he told Peter and Toyo "your part is done it doesn't matter what you do now".

The Monk spent a lot of time with Harada to make that confrontation with Peter happen and after it was over, psiots were exposed to the world and the Monk was moving on to other things.

That just gives me a real sense of fatalism for psiots in general good or bad and the mention of "Livewire" in Rai also makes me think of the apprentice (Livewire) taking down the master (Harada) but to what end?

Harbinger and XO are the spine of the modern VEI universe yet neither is seems to be present in 4001, I'm intrigued to say the least :hm:

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

lorddunlow wrote:
+1
+1

Great issue, really enjoyed it, as always intelligently written by Dysart and interesting new twists (never predictable). Once I Youtubed it I got the 'krumping' joke which was amusing! :lol:

Art was good, but I thought Peter was drawn too muscular in earlier issues of the 3 parter and also facially he didn't look recognisable as Peter? Similarly Ingrid was drawn too slim and young looking IMO.

Overall, excellent read 4/5 :thumb:

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Oh, I aaaaalmost forgot: Obama's crack about Putin riding around shirtless on horseback was hysterical! :lol:

Aomalle27
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 90s
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek
Favorite title: XOmanowar
Favorite writer: ?

Post by Aomalle27 »

kinda a filler issue for me. No real plot developments; no action. Nothing really stood out for me.

Tony_H
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Dr. Mirage
Favorite writer: Van Meter
Favorite artist: Braithwaite & Baron

Post by Tony_H »

While I enjoyed much of this issue, I kept thinking: if the White House is under direct attack, why haven't G.A.T.E. and/or Unity been contacted?

VEI's editorial staff seem pretty conscientious about coordinating their various story lines. Does anyone know if the events depicted in Omegas 3 were supposed to occur before AH: Aftermath?*

* Per this board's Valiant timeline, Omegas 3 is listed subsequent to AH: Aftermath.