Bloodshot Salvation #3

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

otomo
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Tomas Giorello
Bloodshot Salvation #3

Post by otomo »

Surprised this hasn't gotten anything up yet. Wow! Jef Lemire crushed it with this issue. It's made all the plotlines into something very interesting and i'm loving watching them unfold together. The art is really great too, a couple panels had some weird looks to them but overall incredibly solid. This is such a mid-issue sort of thing that there's not a lot of the world elements to it or set up, so it's hard to do a proper review of the one book. We're learning a little about the future while the now is progressing toward it, and everything's kinda converging. It's well done handling of this many plot threads.

High points:
- Points for making fun of the Punk Mambo name cleverly. It is a weird name. And yes, what kind of a name is Magic? I laughed.
- The project omen facility with the big mech armor thing that is so cool. I hope they use it in the future. Love their ability to just shut down nanites too, that is very very compelling stuff, ups the tension to a HUGE level.
- Finally we get some decent action in the now as Bloodshot kicks the crap out of all the crazies.
- Trapped in 4002? Yesssss!
- On the run with Bloodshot baby is nice and tense too.

Low points:
- I really can't think of any. This may be the perfect comic issue in my opinion.
Like XO Manowar or Conan The Barbarian? Check out my new graphic novel, DEUS VULT on IndieGoGo now: Deus Vult: http://igg.me/at/deusvult.

Summydad1
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: X-O/Bloodshot/Ninjak/Rai
Favorite title: X-O (2012)/Harby (2012)
Favorite writer: Kindt/Venditti/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS/Braithwaite/Crain
Re: Bloodshot Salvation #3

Post by Summydad1 »

Agreed. These first three issues have been top notch. Can't wait for next month to get the Rampage origin!
"Do. Or do not. There is no try" -Yoda

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

See, I had a problem with just "shutting off the nanites" like they were shutting off the lights. If that were the case, when PRS were trying to control Bloodshot, why wouldn't they just do the same to ensure BS USA would have been successful? While we don't know it, if Omen has control, why weren't the BS Gang not affected? How was Bloodhound not affected? Don't they all fall under the same microscope? If GATE "took charge" of the nanites for the BS Gang, why didn't they ensure that BS would have control of himself? In the complete destruction of PRS, why didn't GATE seize control of their tech to ensure no one outside the GOV would have control?

Maybe I'm reaching, but that needs to be explained some

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Moose

otomo
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Tomas Giorello

Post by otomo »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:See, I had a problem with just "shutting off the nanites" like they were shutting off the lights. If that were the case, when PRS were trying to control Bloodshot, why wouldn't they just do the same to ensure BS USA would have been successful? While we don't know it, if Omen has control, why weren't the BS Gang not affected? How was Bloodhound not affected? Don't they all fall under the same microscope? If GATE "took charge" of the nanites for the BS Gang, why didn't they ensure that BS would have control of himself? In the complete destruction of PRS, why didn't GATE seize control of their tech to ensure no one outside the GOV would have control?

Was about to be like "he's overthinking it it's...." and then I realized you're right. lol Now I need to come up with a credible explanation for it or it's gonna bug me.

Perhaps for USA -- it's an all or nothing proposition to shut off the nanites, they don't have individual control at that level? But in that instance, it would do the same to Bloodshot baby (and wouldn't it anyway in theory if they're reproduced nanites from Bloodshot?). Hrm.

OR! Maybe they found an old program that only controls Bloodshot now? That's plausible. Still would impact the baby I think.
Like XO Manowar or Conan The Barbarian? Check out my new graphic novel, DEUS VULT on IndieGoGo now: Deus Vult: http://igg.me/at/deusvult.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Moose poses some good questions but I thought the book was outstanding. The moment when Bloodshot lost control of his nanites and you knew he was about to be savagely beaten and killed was emotional for me. Well done!

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by pixierosa »

Lemire knows how to twist the knife in the fans. Heartbreaking ending.

I'm assuming that when they shut down the nanites, it also shut down Bloodhound and the rest of the gang. Last I heard Kay was still with G.A.T.E., but the other surviving Bloodshots were off doing their own thing. Obviously they all get turned back on if in the near future the gang is back together - minus Bloodhound, whom I assume likely dies in the act of protecting Kay and Jessie during the "present" timeline when his nanites are shut down.

Really great payoff to see the 4001 Bloodshot who had memories of Ray be tied into this piece. I wondered why that character was so hung up on his memories of Ray. I believe it is this "nanite memories" version of Ray that is reaching back through time, not Ray as we know him, but then again, how is his voice able to sound just like Ray (according to Magic)? There could be some deadside magic stuff going on, but from the looks of it, Ray dies, his body is destroyed, but his nanites retain his memories. That would make him a - computer program?

BUT - I haven't reread 4001 Bloodshot in a long while. Was the new nanite-fluid Bloodshot taking Ray's body to be buried? If so, maybe the nanites somehow we revived him. Does dead still mean dead in the Valiant U?

Great read and top notch art. "Daddy" makes my skin crawl.
"Sorry, no. You are absolutely about to pepper spray the wrong guy."

slack
Valiant fan since: pre-Unity 90's
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger (Dysart)
Favorite writer: tough choice
Favorite artist: ?

Post by slack »

I liked the issue up until the nanite shutdown. If that has been a possibility this whole time... why wouldn't they have already done it? Unless Lemire comes up with a reason that this possibility was never used or even mentioned, I'm calling it weak-sauce.

There's so many times that PRS could've just shut him down, but didn't. Why not?

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

pixierosa wrote:Lemire knows how to twist the knife in the fans. Heartbreaking ending.

I'm assuming that when they shut down the nanites, it also shut down Bloodhound and the rest of the gang. Last I heard Kay was still with G.A.T.E., but the other surviving Bloodshots were off doing their own thing. Obviously they all get turned back on if in the near future the gang is back together - minus Bloodhound, whom I assume likely dies in the act of protecting Kay and Jessie during the "present" timeline when his nanites are shut down.
Remember though, He stated he wanted them shut down until they could control them all. If that were the case, then the BS Gang as well as Bloodhound would be back under control of Omen.

That could still happen, as there was a little time between this incident and the BS Gang rescue of Magic and Jesse.

Great observation regarding Bloodhound and him not being there in the future!! He must get killed protecting Magic and Jesse, I totally missed that! We still haven't seen the actual death, but I'd imagine that one is coming up, and we all will shed massive tears... :cry: :cry:
Moose

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue [& Ninja-K #1], please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr141/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to any who listen in :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

I thought it was a very entertaining issue & loved the art as usual, but I definitely have a problem with this lame plot point of Omen suddenly having the ability to shut down Ray's nanites. I am hoping there will be a decent explanation for this in future issues, as it makes zero sense for them to have been able to do this all along when all the tech was under PRS control. In the very first volume of VEI Bloodshot, it was well established that they had to shoot the guy to shut him down after each of his missions! This is actually a worse idea than the silliness of the whole Bloodshot:USA "no one will know PRS was behind it when we use our signature technology" premise!

But again, otherwise it was a very good issue - I am enjoying the tone & flow of the story. Still very curious to see what will come of telling storylines in multiple timelines... I suppose that at some point, Neela or Ivar could nab young Jessie from the near future and bring her into the present day, but that could be just as complicated as continuously having to tell a story set about 10 years in the future all the time, if they are going to keep JessieShot around [and I think they should!].
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:See, I had a problem with just "shutting off the nanites" like they were shutting off the lights. If that were the case, when PRS were trying to control Bloodshot, why wouldn't they just do the same to ensure BS USA would have been successful? While we don't know it, if Omen has control, why weren't the BS Gang not affected? How was Bloodhound not affected? Don't they all fall under the same microscope? If GATE "took charge" of the nanites for the BS Gang, why didn't they ensure that BS would have control of himself? In the complete destruction of PRS, why didn't GATE seize control of their tech to ensure no one outside the GOV would have control?

Live your brain Moose.

I haven't read this as wind and waves stopped the ferry and holiday fed things up.
It would make sence that daddy was a sphiot and could have the power of shutting down all his followers to live power free and some how could shut off the nanites. Working with Oman for some reason.
Then daddy became father.
But I feel that cool link was not used unfortunately because that would rock.

Today I can read it as the seas are calmer today.
I Miss the good old days.

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

otomo wrote:

Was about to be like "he's overthinking it it's...." and then I realized you're right. lol Now I need to come up with a credible explanation for it or it's gonna bug me.

Perhaps for USA -- it's an all or nothing proposition to shut off the nanites, they don't have individual control at that level? But in that instance, it would do the same to Bloodshot baby (and wouldn't it anyway in theory if they're reproduced nanites from Bloodshot?). Hrm.

OR! Maybe they found an old program that only controls Bloodshot now? That's plausible. Still would impact the baby I think.
I don't think it's right making excuses for something that should have been well thought out before going to the printer.
If it was a movie it would get bad ratings because it doesn't jive.
We make excuses out of love and for devotion to Valiant the comic book company we are nostalgic for.
I can't subdue my logic.
Hopefully it gets figured out and explained in a way we don't have to suspend our logic.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

I'll throw this out there, don't know how it fits in. During about the time Bloodshot was going up against Big Boy, he obtained a vial of something that allowed him to break free of PRS's control. So maybe that's why they couldn't just shut him down all that time -- and perhaps they recently were able to break through that barrier.

But I agree, this all needs a little clarification.

Keith
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

Great issue. Loved the “soon” scenes with Punk Mambo, and presumably this will help lead into the next arc with Shadowman and Dr. Mirage. If Reborn was Bloodshot on his own, Salvation seems to be way more tied into the rest of the Valiant Universe! And Magic has Ninjak on speed dial! :lol:

But yeah... this new twist with shutting off the nanites. Awfully convenient plot device that is problematic for pretty much everything that came before. That first arc of Bloodshot would’ve gone way different if they just shut him off when they caught up to him in Afghanistan. Not sure not to rectify this...
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

Keith wrote:Great issue. Loved the “soon” scenes with Punk Mambo, and presumably this will help lead into the next arc with Shadowman and Dr. Mirage. If Reborn was Bloodshot on his own, Salvation seems to be way more tied into the rest of the Valiant Universe! And Magic has Ninjak on speed dial! :lol:

But yeah... this new twist with shutting off the nanites. Awfully convenient plot device that is problematic for pretty much everything that came before. That first arc of Bloodshot would’ve gone way different if they just shut him off when they caught up to him in Afghanistan. Not sure not to rectify this...
Really good points guys.
Why blow him to bits with a helicopter if he's on a switch.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

nonplayer wrote:
Keith wrote:Great issue. Loved the “soon” scenes with Punk Mambo, and presumably this will help lead into the next arc with Shadowman and Dr. Mirage. If Reborn was Bloodshot on his own, Salvation seems to be way more tied into the rest of the Valiant Universe! And Magic has Ninjak on speed dial! :lol:

Really good points guys.
Yeah, okay. The vial thing wouldn't explain everything they did before.

Keith
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

jmatt wrote:
nonplayer wrote:

Really good points guys.
Yeah, okay. The vial thing wouldn't explain everything they did before.
If memory serves, wasn’t that vial the cure to the “cancer” for lack of a better word that Harada introduced into the nanites post-Harbinger Wars? I seem to recall it was basically eating away at BS from the inside, and treatments from PRS were the only thing keeping it in check. That’s what kept him tied to PRS during that period.
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

jmatt wrote:Moose poses some good questions but I thought the book was outstanding. The moment when Bloodshot lost control of his nanites and you knew he was about to be savagely beaten and killed was emotional for me. Well done!
+1 exactly this!

The more comments I read about the nanite switch then the bigger problem this becomes for me, it detracts from what was an outstanding issue.

Great last panel!

4.5/5 :thumb:

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:The more comments I read about the nanite switch then the bigger problem this becomes for me, it detracts from what was an outstanding issue.
I agree, it's starting to sink in just how arbitrary that is.

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

jmatt wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:The more comments I read about the nanite switch then the bigger problem this becomes for me, it detracts from what was an outstanding issue.
I agree, it's starting to sink in just how arbitrary that is.
It also doesn't really fit with BS Island and BUSA, they were developing Deathmate to be the solution to the BS zombie problem they created and I think their intent was to have DM kill all the BS zombies not absorb all the nanites then eject them to space, it was Bloodshot who put her on to that ability.

Why do all that if they could just control the nanites?

Also Kozol was hyper paranoid as we have seen in Imperium, if they had a nanite kill switch why would he have not used it when confronted by Deathmate?

sonicdan
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis LaRosa

Post by sonicdan »

LaRosa's original art for this issue is now available.
Message me to purchase!
http://sonicdan.com/larosa/forsale.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sonicdan's Comics and Original Art: http://www.sonicdan.com
My eBay Store (Comics, Art, Collectibles) https://www.ebay.com/str/sonicdanscomicsart