Marvel Series 1 cards

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

greatbrandino11
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek (Sting)
Favorite title: Harbinger
Re: Marvel Series 1 cards

Post by greatbrandino11 »

Sell, sell, sell. Once submissions catch up to demand and those 10s become more and more frequent, assuming PSA will ever catch up, these are going to bottom out quickly. They were available in every comic store, gas station, and department store I frequented as a child. Hell, even a locally owned lawn and garden store in my hometown, Big Blue, would sell the boxes. I can remember riding my bike to go pick up packs. I feel bad for the suckers paying thousands for these in high grades.
"When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth."

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

greatbrandino11 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:11:37 pm Sell, sell, sell. Once submissions catch up to demand and those 10s become more and more frequent, assuming PSA will ever catch up, these are going to bottom out quickly. They were available in every comic store, gas station, and department store I frequented as a child. Hell, even a locally owned lawn and garden store in my hometown, Big Blue, would sell the boxes. I can remember riding my bike to go pick up packs. I feel bad for the suckers paying thousands for these in high grades.
Not that I disagree at all, but the early news I'm seeing is that as these submissions are coming back people are finding a lot fewer "10's" than they had anticipated in the returns. Obviously I think we are going to have months of outcomes to look forward to, but it's entirely possible that when the dust clears there will still be a pretty low ratio of submissions to returned "10's" on these sets.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

So what is the best, cheapest, most efficient way to ship these if I sell on eBay? Is it OK to just pop them in a top loader and send in a regular envelope or does it have to be in something sturdier or a bubble mailer? Last time I used the bubble mailer but those were over $4 to ship.

Same thing for magic cards ... I might drop a stack of those on eBay too.

I think I’d like to just use a letter sized envelope but will that *SQUEE* off buyers? Is tracking required?

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

depluto wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:55:59 pm So what is the best, cheapest, most efficient way to ship these if I sell on eBay? Is it OK to just pop them in a top loader and send in a regular envelope or does it have to be in something sturdier or a bubble mailer? Last time I used the bubble mailer but those were over $4 to ship.

Same thing for magic cards ... I might drop a stack of those on eBay too.

think I’d like to just use a letter sized envelope but will that *SQUEE* off buyers? Is tracking required?
I've been using eBay's new card shipping standards quite a bit. It makes selling .99 (or cheaper after sales events and markdowns) a lot easier to deal with.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

Pardon my ignorance but how does that work? Do I need a printer?

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

depluto wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:43:37 pm Pardon my ignorance but how does that work? Do I need a printer?
There are set rules and a maximum envelope size, and to qualify I think cards need to be under a certain dollar threshold.
When you do your shipping through eBay's shipping system, choose the "eBay Standard Card Mailer" option (it says something to that effect). If the option is not there, then your card sale doesn't qualify. If it is there it will tell you the dimensions of the envelope and so on.

I have seen some people go on about getting set up for and conforming to the envelope size as a hassle, but once you fall into step with it, it is a better option. You'll be mailing cards for about .60 instead of 5 bucks. :) Also, I think that your cards have to be in the correct category for the option to trigger as well, so make sure that you are listing your cards as trading cards too.

If you look into it and need more input, let me know. I've had those experiences (here actually) where people give you phony input (like "read, read, read to keep learning!") because they don't want to help anyone. I didn't say anything but that particular guy lost my respect forever and to this day he probably still mistakes my kindness for weakness. It would take an extreme circumstance for me to pull that on someone, man. :thumb:

EDIT: yes you will need a printer to print your mailer labels which come out nicely sized for the required card mailer dimensions.