How to sell Magic cards

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

caxiotis
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Valiant fan since: 1991
How to sell Magic cards

Post by caxiotis »

I know nothing about Magic cards, however I have my brother’s cards. He was going to throw them out 10 years ago and instead he gave them to me. I am purging stuff, so I just started looking at them again and it appears they are mainly from the late 90’s. Any recommendations on how to look up their value?

Also slab or not to slab cards (if that is even the right term for cards)? If they have value does a graded card bring in more money?
Pull List: I only buy TPB's, HC's and Hellboy comics

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen
Re: How to sell Magic cards

Post by IMJ »

I have to wonder if Magic had it's day and that day is done given that the current generation of "coming of age" collectors is all-in for Pokemon cards.

I've got a few sealed boxes of Magic cards from promotional events. Probably the same boxes that we all have from convention seasons.

caxiotis

Post by caxiotis »

IMJ wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:28:46 am I have to wonder if Magic had it's day and that day is done given that the current generation of "coming of age" collectors is all-in for Pokemon cards.

I've got a few sealed boxes of Magic cards from promotional events. Probably the same boxes that we all have from convention seasons.
I was shocked by The Pokémon craze of the 90’s and thought it was a fad. Way wrong. My 7 year old loves them. Mainly because her friends have them, and of course because she loves the cartoon now (that she found because of the card game).

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

At least from my limited observations, I think more (mostly guys) in their 20s right now are buying Magic cards than comics. At all the Walmarts in my region, there is way more shelf space given over to Magic cards than comics.

I have very little exposure to the market for Magic cards as collectibles but from my limited exposure, late 90s Magic cards are about like early 90s comics, with outstanding supply far exceeding demand for almost every item.

caxiotis

Post by caxiotis »

I been through the cards and finally figured out how to determine which cards are from which expansion block. About half of the cards are from Ursa’s Saga, which I have been reading had some banned cards. Hope maybe something of value

IMJ
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

Chiclo wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:56:48 am At least from my limited observations, I think more (mostly guys) in their 20s right now are buying Magic cards than comics. At all the Walmarts in my region, there is way more shelf space given over to Magic cards than comics.

I have very little exposure to the market for Magic cards as collectibles but from my limited exposure, late 90s Magic cards are about like early 90s comics, with outstanding supply far exceeding demand for almost every item.
I thought Magic was big in like.... maybe... 1993? Pokemon popped in '98 or so. It would make sense from a generational perspective that these guys are pursuing Pokemon cards now. But I don't know, I don't follow the Magic market. Maybe there's a huge following for it.

Hell I'm waiting on the day that Hero-clix pop. I'm sitting on a TON of those things from the original releases. I've never played the game once, I just wanted the Iron Man stuff at the time.

tarheelmarine
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Magnus Robot Fighter
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Jim Calafiore

Post by tarheelmarine »

caxiotis wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:45:09 am
IMJ wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:28:46 am I have to wonder if Magic had it's day and that day is done given that the current generation of "coming of age" collectors is all-in for Pokemon cards.

I was shocked by The Pokémon craze of the 90’s and thought it was a fad. Way wrong. My 7 year old loves them. Mainly because her friends have them, and of course because she loves the cartoon now (that she found because of the card game).
My kids have loved Pokemon cards since that age, but never desired to learn how to play them..until yesterday. My 9 year old and I learned yesterday! Talk about fun! I am going to buy a cheap Pokemon starter deck so that we can it make it more interesting. Makes me interested in learning to play Magic.

caxiotis

Post by caxiotis »

tarheelmarine wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:12:31 am

My kids have loved Pokemon cards since that age, but never desired to learn how to play them..until yesterday. My 9 year old and I learned yesterday! Talk about fun! I am going to buy a cheap Pokemon starter deck so that we can it make it more interesting. Makes me interested in learning to play Magic.
If you want I will send you a grip of cards. Seriously, I am pretty sure the majority don’t have value so was going to just take the comic store and give it to them

tarheelmarine
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Magnus Robot Fighter
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Jim Calafiore

Post by tarheelmarine »

caxiotis wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:51:11 am
tarheelmarine wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:12:31 am

If you want I will send you a grip of cards. Seriously, I am pretty sure the majority don’t have value so was going to just take the comic store and give it to them
I'll PM you (let me think). At least to cover shipping . I bought a starter deck tonight for Pokemon, and it made the game even more fun with my son.

cjv
A Valiant Vision-ary
A Valiant Vision-ary
Valiant fan since: Shadowman #1
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite title: Shadowman (VH1)

Post by cjv »

caxiotis wrote:I know nothing about Magic cards, however I have my brother’s cards. He was going to throw them out 10 years ago and instead he gave them to me. I am purging stuff, so I just started looking at them again and it appears they are mainly from the late 90’s. Any recommendations on how to look up their value?

Also slab or not to slab cards (if that is even the right term for cards)? If they have value does a graded card bring in more money?
Not sure if you still have these, but I buy Magic collections sometimes. How many cards are there?

Usually collections go for 50% to 70% of TCG low value. Cards under $1 are considered bulk and usually sell for $5 to $10 per 1000.

I’d be happy to take a look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maraxusofkeld
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
Valiant fan since: UNITY
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Magnus
Favorite artist: Bob Layton

Post by maraxusofkeld »

Some cards from that time are worth staggering money Gaea's cradle as example. I would go to card kingdom and check their prices, easier than ebay as you can search by set. If you want pm, me, I can give you my cell number and give a list to cut down on the time for you looking through stuff.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

Last time I looked, which was years ago, none of the revised edition cards were worth anything except the dual lands. Are they selling now?

cjv
A Valiant Vision-ary
A Valiant Vision-ary
Valiant fan since: Shadowman #1
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite title: Shadowman (VH1)

Post by cjv »

Some revised cards are $50 to $100 (beyond dual lands). Demonic tutor, for example, is a $45. The dual lands are certainly the big bucks though.

maraxusofkeld
Valiant fan since: UNITY
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Magnus
Favorite artist: Bob Layton

Post by maraxusofkeld »

Wheel of Fortune used to be a $5 to $10 card for nearly 20 years and then it jumped and its between $300 to $400. There is common stuff worth money in lots, like 4x Priests of Tatania from Urza's Saga. They are commons and playsets sell from $30 to $40.