Posters: Comic, Promos, Authentic Movie Posters, 27x40 Double Sided One Sheets & Other Cool Prints

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen
Posters: Comic, Promos, Authentic Movie Posters, 27x40 Double Sided One Sheets & Other Cool Prints

Post by IMJ »

Wondering if the community here has embraced original movie posters or one sheets in their collections.

For anyone who doesn't know but wants to chat on the topic; a studio movie poster is generally considered authentic when it measures 27x40 or 27x41 and is double sided where the reverse side is actually a mirror image of the front side. This was done with the intention of enhancing the image when placed on a backlit display board in theaters.

I don't have too many authentic film posters, but I buy them to enhance my displays. Then when I want to change up a display, I will replace the one-sheet in the frame with a corresponding poster.

The problem with these though is that they are hard to store and you don't really want to roll them, although you often have no choice. Rolling would be fine, but it's easy to damage them a variety of ways which, of course, is an issue because some of these things are hard to find and also expensive as hell (check out some of the vintage, authentic Indiana Jones or Star Wars posters - yeesh).

I store my stuff rolled in a rubbermaid tote that was originally intended for Christmas wrapping paper. I've been trying to get away from that for years now, and was really excited to come across a pretty cool one-sheet portfolio. This thing is going to solve all of those problems and also create some space for storing posters. Again, it's expensive, but hey when something honestly meets a need and truly solves a problem then it's worth paying for.

Baroque Portfolios 27x41 Movie Poster Folio

I am super excited about getting this as it's going to give me immediate use and ease of viewing for all of my larger posters. I've got maybe a handful of authentic movie one-sheets from some of the films I love, but I've also got a lot of larger and inappropriately expensive Iron Man LCS and promo posters that this thing is going to save.

Anybody here have any kind of poster or one-sheet collection, poster interest, or even just a single centerpiece poster of some kind?
Last edited by IMJ on Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:57:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IMJ
Re: Authentic Movie Posters & 27x40 Double Sided One Sheets

Post by IMJ »

I'm sure as the Bloodshot movie posters start getting out there, we might find more interest in this thread. This isn't intended as my personal gallery, but I'll periodically populate it with some cool stuff I've been doing. Most of these images wind up on my Instagram account, so if any Valiant fans members are there, come and find me! IMJ1001

Iron Man (2008) | Double Sided Theater One Sheet #1. 27"x40", stored in the great Baroque Portfolios Deluxe Movie Poster & Print Storage Portfolio. The Mighty Muggz Iron Men are there for size reference.

Iron Man 2 (2010) | Double Sided Theater Character Sheet 3. 27"x40", stored in the great Baroque Portfolios Deluxe Movie Poster & Print Storage Portfolio. The Mighty Muggz Iron Men are there for size reference.

I have a very modest Valiant and related poster collection as well, so eventually I throw some of that here too.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.
Re: Posters: Comic, Promos, Authentic Movie Posters, 27x40 Double Sided One Sheets & Other Cool Prints

Post by nycjadie »

Thanks for sharing that. I’ve never seen these folios. Not cheap but incredibly high end. What is your experience with them? I have an extensive Valiant poster collection, but storage has not been ideal at all.

IMJ
Re: Posters: Comic, Promos, Authentic Movie Posters, 27x40 Double Sided One Sheets & Other Cool Prints

Post by IMJ »

nycjadie wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:28:57 pm Thanks for sharing that. I’ve never seen these folios. Not cheap but incredibly high end. What is your experience with them? I have an extensive Valiant poster collection, but storage has not been ideal at all.
So much to say, especially considering that you have a legit poster collection that could be enhanced by this kind of storage. Let's start with the portfolio itself, and then I'll get into the positives and negatives of the whole thing, and then I'll talk about my experience with the company.

The Portfolio
So the portfolio itself is nice and very much what you'd expect from this kind of storage item. I'm going to throw out there something that might sound like a negative about it, but it's simply the truth as I see it so I think it's worth saying. Both things I'm going to say are truths - the portfolio is made of quality stuff and it's appearance is terrific, but you can also tell that they are making a ton of money per unit on them. That is to say that I believe their markup is probably significant - I don't think these guys are making 20 bucks a portfolio, I think they are probably making 150 bucks per unit. None of that is to underscore that it's poorly made because it's not, but when you get one in hand it's about what you'd expect - it's a glorified binder with a lot of rings in it to put pages in, similar to anything you'd buy at an office supply store, but obviously this is intended for large posters in a market where other manufacturers don't make something in this size.

The cover is a truly quality sort of suade-like pleather. It's got two secure zippers for enclosure and a pretty significant number of rings inside to secure the pages. There is a should strap to help you carry it and a very secure handle that won't fail easily when this thing is loaded up. There's a band inside the front cover that you can strap some of the pages into if you need to, and the other side of the cover has your typical folder sleeve thing to slide stuff in - maybe even other posters to flatten them before paging them. The pages themselves are about what you'd expect, and provide a decent - not crystal clear but good, viewing clarity. The fabric page inserts makes it pretty easy to slide large posters inside and out. Your biggest ordeal in doing this will simply be handling larger sized stuff as you begin to slide them into the pages - it's an opportunistic criticism - getting them into the pages is a one man job if you do it wisely.

For me? It was worth the money because, honestly although it's expensive, it supplies a solution for more than just one need:

The Benefits As I See It
1. Having this thing means protecting your posters for those of us that care about that sort of thing for whatever reasons.
2. Having this thing means future proofing them from some damage as well because now you no longer have to untube them & then roll back up, which is probably the greatest reason for poster damage. This mitigates that completely.
3. Having this thing means actually getting use out of your collection as opposed to it just sitting there in a box. Now you can casually flip through the pages to look at your stuff. Owning cool posters that you'll never hang up nor look at because they are rolled is a worse hobby habit than any point that can be made about how you can't read CGC'd comics. Posters have one function - to be looked at. So this resolves that completely. And let's face it - it creates so much value to be able to open this thing up and flip through your posters for 4 minutes as opposed to periodically unrolling whatever you own and then rolling them back up in tubes, which let's be honest - nobody does it. So now your collection has actual value.
4. Having this thing also means preservation - the pages and inserts are acid free, so they won't degrade from the materials, and if you were inclined to do so then you can add microchamber paper behind your posters to remove any acids from the posters themselves. I don't do this, but it's a solid point although I'd argue that you'd need some pretty legit posters to go to that trouble. But some people do.
5. If you buy the large folder you can put two movie sized one sheets per page, but you can also put several smaller posters per page as well. Additionally, the large binder will accept the smaller pages from the other binders as well, so if perfect fit is your thing then it's versatile.

And based on all of that the benefits for me greatly outweigh the cost.

The Detractors As I See Them
1. This thing is large. Obviously the size varies depending on the "model" you need, but this thing is big and I think that storing it lying flat is the best solution. I can imagine that if you store it upright or hanging somewhere that eventually the weight of all of those posters against the page material will end up stretching or tearing some stuff if you have the unit upright for months or years. And so, you'll need a place to put it. Just something to consider.
2. The price. It's expensive.
3. It's still just a glorified binder. It does have some cool features given it's purpose, but at the end of the day it's still just a binder. And so that means that either right away or over time you will have all the problems that binders have - rings that lose form so they don't clasp perfectly anymore, broken plastic pieces from the interior cover support as you open and close this thing over time. Basically binders diminish sort of easily and I don't see this thing being the exception. Although I still expect to get close to a lifetime out of it, let's just say that it's very clear to me that with use the unit isn't going to remain "minty" forever.
4. Because this thing creates such a desirable storage/use solution for a kind of item that we normally just stash away, I can see owning this thing opening a can of worms that makes for a more desirable situation to acquire more posters. So that's something to consider - this will actually let you comfortably own what you have, but it also creates a very convenient situation to try to own more. Not that there's anything wrong with that per se, but keep it in mind if buying more posters wasn't on your radar - it will be because basically it frees up so much poster space that your collection can increase by magnitudes and this will accommodate it.

The Company Itself
I don't know if it's a large company, or a guy, or a small startup. But, I preordered this thing and once they were manufactured it shipped quickly in a very large box via FedEx. My first unit was damaged - it had broken plastic inside the front cover. To be honest, it was completely usable and the same plastic probably would break overtime with use anyway, but this was brand new and expensive and I felt that it should've shown up in perfect shape, so I messaged Baroque through the website to tell them. Luckily I was taking unboxing vids every step of the way for my Instagram account so I had proximate and immediate evidence that the unit was broken literally out of the box.

The response from the Baroque team was hysterical - in a good way. Someone replied literally with "Well, that sucks. Sorry about that". And then 3 minutes after that I got a confirmation email that another order for another unit was generated and sent to me. Now, I have two of these things, each with the pages as allocated per order, and although one has some broken plastic on the interior they are both absolutely usable in every way. Baroque let me keep the first one and literally just sent me a second unit to compensate for the damage to the first. I couldn't believe it, but it's terrific because I've literally filled two of these things already. But again, remember that they knew I was doing an unboxing photo series that was going to earn them some free advertising (like in the pictures I made and posted above) and I had basically real-time photo evidence of the issue, so take that into account as well. Ultimately I've had a very good experience with them.

What it boils down to is that this thing is expensive, but it meets and resolves an honest need and also creates a better collecting situation for items that most of us own but keep in a closet and fool ourselves into thinking we will ever get use out of. So that's a win when my junk becomes an actual, viewable collection. I'm glad I bought it.

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

Thanks for the very thoughtful and careful rundown. It's nearly exactly what I've been looking for. My large poster collection has increased significantly with the large Valiant posters over the years, and I had up to 20 rolls at one point. I've consolidate them quite a bit, but there are still many, many. I've got some of them up on my valiant.fan website.

The problem with those rolls is evident. The posters weren't perfect when I received them from my shop, direct from Valiant. I do like perusing them every once in awhile, and a dream would be to have something like this where they are in the order of release.

One thing I don't love about this solution, and you confirmed my concern, is that they are best stored flat. It would be so ideal to have them stored upright. I move from time to time, so that's not ideal.

You should buy a domain name like poster.supplies, slab this review up there, and put some Amazon affiliate link on it. Get some money out of this. I always appreciate people who do these sorts of reviews, and click on the affiliate links when I can.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

nycjadie wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:10:41 pm Thanks for the very thoughtful and careful rundown. It's nearly exactly what I've been looking for. My large poster collection has increased significantly with the large Valiant posters over the years, and I had up to 20 rolls at one point. I've consolidate them quite a bit, but there are still many, many. I've got some of them up on my valiant.fan website.

The problem with those rolls is evident. The posters weren't perfect when I received them from my shop, direct from Valiant. I do like perusing them every once in awhile, and a dream would be to have something like this where they are in the order of release.

One thing I don't love about this solution, and you confirmed my concern, is that they are best stored flat. It would be so ideal to have them stored upright. I move from time to time, so that's not ideal.

You should buy a domain name like poster.supplies, slab this review up there, and put some Amazon affiliate link on it. Get some money out of this. I always appreciate people who do these sorts of reviews, and click on the affiliate links when I can.
That's not a bad idea... I might check out some domain names tonight, so thank you for that. Greg and I occasionally have these impromptu Facebook chat sessions and thanks to one of those I started adding domain names to my portfolio a little over a year ago. The downside is that I don't have any outlet or knowledge to create another website around any of them and after my other "collective" let Advanced Iron slide some years back I lost touch with a lot of those resources. I'd love to do it again though.

But thanks for your words there. :)

I only have maybe three or four Valiant posters that I'll get around to posting here. Maybe 7 or so once you take into account the stuff that would interest "Valiant Guys" in general - Valiant, Future Comics, that Superverse stuff from the whole Zoom Suit thing some years back (remember that?). I'll try to get some more posts made.

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

Time is our enemy. I have a few Valiant and Bad Idea domain names. My favorite domain name I own is superhero.ink. I'm not sure if I'll use that one or not.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

Indiana Jones & The Temple of Doom (1984) | Original N.S.S. printed Theatrical One-Sheet. 27"x41", stored in the great Baroque Portfolios Deluxe Movie Poster & Print Storage Portfolio. The Mighty Muggz Iron Men are there for size reference. This is a fairly difficult poster to find in such great shape & verified as an N.S.S. Edition.

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Here recently, I've been growing my poster collection quite a bit. I've got some interesting Valiant pieces, like Divinity II and Bloodshot Reborn, but those damn tubes! The edges get so beat up, it makes me sad.

I do like this Folio, except I just don't have the space. I frame as many as I can, and hang them. I also have found a lot of fun in hunting for sigs for the poster, something I plan on doing with my Bloodshot poster. Funny, I have wall space, just not enough floor space
Moose

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

TheeBaldMoose wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:41:32 pm Here recently, I've been growing my poster collection quite a bit. I've got some interesting Valiant pieces, like Divinity II and Bloodshot Reborn, but those damn tubes! The edges get so beat up, it makes me sad.

I do like this Folio, except I just don't have the space. I frame as many as I can, and hang them. I also have found a lot of fun in hunting for sigs for the poster, something I plan on doing with my Bloodshot poster. Funny, I have wall space, just not enough floor space
I would love, love, love to have a cast signed Bloodshot poster, omg. That would make me so happy looking at it. It's something, believe it or not, that I never got to do with Iron Man.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

Iron Man (2008) Ten Rings Flag | Screen used & authenticated prop as appeared on Raza's Convoy truck, notable during the "Gulmera Attack" scene. This is the MCU symbol for the Mandarin - Iron Man's arch-enemy who, after the disastrous Iron Man 3, will instead will be appearing in Marvel's upcoming "Shang-Chi" flick.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

Iron Man (2008) Mark I Leg Armor & "Reveal of Iron Man" newspaper. | Screen used armor component as seen in the cave & desert flight crash scenes, accompanied by a USA Today page as made for Tony's office newspapers at the end of the film during the "S.H.I.E.L.D." name reveal sequence.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

I have had this Iron Man/X-O poster for so long now. But I'm so disappointed because although it presents acceptably when flattened out in the folder, it's truly beat up. It was never in perfect shape, but it's actually diminished a bit since I bought it years ago and it's for all the reasons I cited above for needing something like that portfolio. It's not a priority by any means, but I really would like to have another one in nice shape. I also have seen three versions of this - each with some different text near the bottom, but this is the only one I've ever had....

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

Blade Runner 2049 (2017) | Original theatrical Character One-Sheet (style A & B). 27"x41" DS, stored in the great Baroque portfolios Deluxe Movie Poster and Print Storage Portfolio. The Mighty Muggs Iron Men are there for size reference. Every frame of this flick was like a work of art & the movie was nicely represented by these studio one-sheets

Image Image

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

I'm curious if you're into the alternative movie poster scene at all, IMJ... there is a pretty dedicated collector-fan base for it. If not familiar, its basically modern artists doing very limited run screen prints featuring new artwork that is officially licensed by the film studios. They typically release 24x36 sized posters though, not the traditional 27x41 one sheet size.

Mondo is the biggest company doing it - they also have done official, limited artist-edition steelbook dvd/blurays of classic re-released films.
Last edited by grendeljd on Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:52:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

IMJ wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:07:00 pm Iron Man (2008) Mark I Leg Armor & "Reveal of Iron Man" newspaper. | Screen used armor component as seen in the cave & desert flight crash scenes, accompanied by a USA Today page as made for Tony's office newspapers at the end of the film during the "S.H.I.E.L.D." name reveal sequence.
That is seriously cool. :clap:

I always wanted one of the terminator forearm pieces from T2 but never had money or opportunity to score one [whether it be an actual screen-used prop or a replica edition].
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

grendeljd wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:46:37 pm That is seriously cool. :clap:

I always wanted one of the terminator forearm pieces from T2 but never had money or opportunity to score one [whether it be an actual screen-used prop or a replica edition].
Thanks, man! I have a small prop collector circle, so I can ask around a bit if you want.
grendeljd wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:44:41 pm I'm curious if you're into the alternative movie poster scene at all, IMJ... there is a pretty dedicated collector-fan base for it. If not familiar, its basically modern artists doing very limited run screen prints featuring new artwork that is officially licensed by the film studios. They typically release 24x36 sized posters though, not the traditional 27x41 one sheet size.

Mondo is the biggest company doing it - they also have done official, limited artist-edition steelbook dvd/blurays of classic re-released films.
I am into that a bit, but not enough to pursue hard core unless I found a deal here or there on the Mondo stuff.... Iron Man, Ghost In The Shell, Blade Runner and maybe Indiana Jones are probably all I'd go after. But again, while many of them are great I'm not into alternative poster scene enough to drop major coin on any of them. IIRC the Mondo poster thing really kicked off hard with the Iron Man pieces when the first movie got a showing at that popular, artsy movie house in California (don't remember the name.... the Alimo?).

I do have a few higher end prints and lithos in those binders though. I get a kick out of the sort of minimalist representations, or widescreen art pieces of Indiana Jones scenes. I've got a great one from the Chachapoyan Idol sequence for example.

Ramses818
Valiant fan since: X-O Manowar 14
Favorite title: X-o but maybe soon to be Rai
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Ramses818 »

I just stumbled upon this thread and I love it so much! Amazing information and awesome pieces! That is what I want to do for my 3 pieces of screen used items.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

Ramses818 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:22:00 pm I just stumbled upon this thread and I love it so much! Amazing information and awesome pieces! That is what I want to do for my 3 pieces of screen used items.
That's awesome man and thanks! I know the thread is titled "posters" but I'd love to see your screen used stuff. Please post it here!

Ramses818
Valiant fan since: X-O Manowar 14
Favorite title: X-o but maybe soon to be Rai
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Ramses818 »

I would totally have posted but I don’t know how to add photos here..lol

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

Ramses818 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:13:50 am I would totally have posted but I don’t know how to add photos here..lol
I use a "hosting" site called Imgur. It's free. Sign up there, upload your pictures to albums and then click on your uploads to get the various HTML that you can post here on a message board. :)