Vinyl

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen
Vinyl

Post by IMJ »

I'm a bit of an A/V nerd and so the recent resurgence in vinyl has made me a happy camper. I picked this guy up just today and I am ecstatic to have this in my collection. It is one of the grail releases from this band.

KMFDM - Nihil | Wax Trax!/TVT (1995)
Original release, factory sealed

This is a great album, and comic book & video game collectors will know the track, "Ultra" from the amazing Chun-Li vs Vega fight in the now classic Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie.

I'd love for this thread to become populated with everyone's truly great vinyl finds, or at this point even scarce CD's.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.
Re: Vinyl

Post by nycjadie »

I have an old Seeburg jukebox. I’ll probably have to sell it, but haven’t yet.

I have only two 7” records from back when I worked arc sub Pop.

My GF and I are talking about starting a vinyl collection as we can do it together and it’s nice to actually touch the music. We are both music junkies. Me especially. Music narrates my life.

I got rid of my physical music a long time ago. It was nice to shed it. Of course, I digitized it all, but with the proliferation of streaming services, I never touch it.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

Sooo much to say about your post, man!
nycjadie wrote:I have an old Seeburg jukebox. I’ll probably have to sell it, but haven’t yet.
That's such an obscure thing to have unless you have a dedicated space for it. Don't sell it. I have a better idea - take out a loan after writing business plan, then open a retro restaurant that serves sandwiches. Put the Seeburg there and populate it with Elvis vinyl. Have car shows on Sunday afternoons in your parking lot and open the window so that everyone outside can hear "Jailhouse Rock" coming from your now useful jukebox. Problem solved!

But seriously, that's really cool.
nycjadie wrote:I have only two 7” records from back when I worked arc sub Pop.
I didn't know this about you.... please talk about the sub-pop job, I'd love to hear it. Something that most people don't know about me? I worked for Playboy in an office property they held just outside of Chicago in Itasca, IL back in the mid-late 90's. We used to watch Seinfeld on our breaks in this lavish, leather clad breakroom with a giant rear-projection T.V. from the era. I'll bet the sub-Pop job was cooler....
nycjadie wrote:My GF and I are talking about starting a vinyl collection as we can do it together and it’s nice to actually touch the music. We are both music junkies. Me especially. Music narrates my life.
Me too, man. I've always got something playing - right now I'm on a Wax Trax label kick and as I type this I am listening to Clock DVA.
nycjadie wrote:I got rid of my physical music a long time ago. It was nice to shed it. Of course, I digitized it all, but with the proliferation of streaming services, I never touch it.
I know how you feel about shedding stuff, but when it comes to my CD collection, I've held and also digitized.

I built a media rack into my office closet here behind me that houses all of my disc-based media (except for movies) and next to me at my desk I've got a 6TB media server that basically serves my whole house. I keep music files on it in duplicate - FLAC for my home theater (read through an Oppo UDP-203 to my stereo) and 320 mp3 for other units. The media server is internet enabled, so if I am out and about and want to hear something in my collection I can access it from my cell phone and it's nice because the media comes from my private server at home to my cell phone or car as opposed to coming from someone else's cloud server or a streaming service.

I used to buy CD's even if out of curiosity, but nowadays I buy very specific vinyl. Everything Stone Temple Pilots, legit 90' releases when I find them ($$carce), and I'm putting together the best WaxTrax!/TVT collection that I can because that stuff is legit vinyl culture in every sense of the word.

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

I really want to hold onto the Seeburg, but #divorce. It’s not good right now. I can’t even get into it, but it is hitting my collection. Cafe/restaurant/bar. Or a mountain house, in my dreams.

Sub Pop. 1991-1992. High school. It was heaven for a young grunge kid with no money or prospects and a *SQUEE* home life. Changed my life. And I was just the intern.

Music narrates my life, my conversations, and legal advice. That and bourbon. Somehow, I feel like we will have drinks someday. I just know it.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

nycjadie wrote:Music narrates my life, my conversations, and legal advice. That and bourbon. Somehow, I feel like we will have drinks someday. I just know it.
I'm down for the JW black and ginger ale. And if we wind up at a *SQUEE* bar then whatever they pass for bourbon is cool too. :)

Velvet Revolver - Contraband | RCA (2004)

This album was pressed for vinyl as a Promotional Use Only edition, not for regular sale. It's a terrific comeback for the members of GnR, and only Scott Weiland could have appropriately fronted this group. Comic Book fans will recognize the track "Set Me Free" from Ang Lee's Hulk movie - the song is a legit rock chugger in every way and far outclassed the film it was attached to. The rest of the album is addicting in its entirety as well.

Tony_H
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Dr. Mirage
Favorite writer: Van Meter
Favorite artist: Braithwaite & Baron

Post by Tony_H »

Here're some old vinyl LP favorites...

...with great covers outside and even greater recordings inside.

Phantom
I will call my mum and ask what the *SQUEE* is going on.
Location: I would rather be under the stars in a tent, or on a park bench.

Post by Phantom »

I don't collect vinyl as such.
I listen.
As in I don't consider my records a 'collection'.

Just brought ~ France Gail paris france.
before that got a few Jimmy Cliff, peter tosh (new pressings) and BOB .
Cousin brought me some Frank Sinatra (new pressing)
I have a first pressing of come fly with me, unplayed (so I guess it is a collection).

My wife has early orginal beatles, and randon stuff.
Don't listen to Frank much anymore, into folk blues and reggae.

I call it reggie music to *SQUEE* people off, like to wind people up at record fairs.
I wish their was a Spinal Tap comic, and I had a copy CGC graded at 11.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

Phantom wrote:Cousin brought me some Frank Sinatra (new pressing)
I love Sinatra. I'm always looking for his stuff when I'm crate diving. As of now I have nothing of note regarding Sinatra on vinyl, but obviously I've got a huge chunk of the catalog digitally. I'm just waiting for that original pressing of Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim for The Girl From Ipanema.....

Phantom wrote:I have a first pressing of come fly with me, unplayed (so I guess it is a collection).
PIX! I'd love to own that.....
Phantom wrote:My wife has early orginal beatles, and randon stuff.
This reminds me to get some shots of my vinyl copy of the White Album - yes it's got the photos too!
Tony_H wrote:Here're some old vinyl LP favorites...

I'm going to try to check this one out....

Phantom
Location: I would rather be under the stars in a tent, or on a park bench.

Post by Phantom »

You mentioned John Lenon.
My father was a carpender and worked on John lenons house in Surrey. He also repaired and restored furniture from the royal family. They used to write their names on the back of the drawers of stuff they worked on for the royal family.
I wish their was a Spinal Tap comic, and I had a copy CGC graded at 11.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

I had quite a bit of vinyl but it got lost about 12 years ago in a move. I had a few records that were pretty cool - a couple copies of Buckingham Nicks, a Heart photodisk - I think it was Dreamboat Annie. I was buying stuff that interested me cheaply at the flea market. Lots of Heart, Alan Parsons Project and the like on the rock/pop music front and quite a bit of folk music from the 50s and 60s. Ruth Welcome comes to mind, she was quite the prolific zither player and had produced a wide range of vinyl albums. I had probably 10 of her albums.

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

I left 6 crates of my parents records at a girlfriend's house in 1995. It had original Stones, Beatles, Dylan, etc. Probably worth a mint now.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

The Beatles - The White Album | Apple Records Pressing (1968)
Revolution. All inserts. 'Nuff said....

Tony_H
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Dr. Mirage
Favorite writer: Van Meter
Favorite artist: Braithwaite & Baron

Post by Tony_H »

If you could own only one deluxe, special-edition reissue of a vinyl LP, The White Album would likely be your best choice. It's a high water mark for 20th century popular music. I'm not sure what other albums have its combination of top-level composition and execution, widespread public acclaim and influential dominance. Maybe Miles Davis's Kind of Blue? Hendrix's Are You Experienced?

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

Tony_H wrote:If you could own only one deluxe, special-edition reissue of a vinyl LP, The White Album would likely be your best choice. It's a high water mark for 20th century popular music. I'm not sure what other albums have its combination of top-level composition and execution, widespread public acclaim and influential dominance. Maybe Miles Davis's Kind of Blue? Hendrix's Are You Experienced?
I have a lot of respect for the White Album, and I love the song Revolution. But if I personally could own only one deluxe, special edition reissue of a vinyl, then it would be Stone Temple Pilots Anniversary release of Core. Unless they ever get around to remastering No. 4, then it would be that because it's one of the strongest rock albums in their catalog, but I've always lamented the initial production on that one. Imagine the power of the Grammy Award winning track, "Down" if it was mastered for clarity and precision like "Piece of Pie" or "Crackerman".

oldjello
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite title: Rai (before the Future Force)

Post by oldjello »

IMJ wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:00:53 pm I'm a bit of an A/V nerd and so the recent resurgence in vinyl has made me a happy camper. I picked this guy up just today and I am ecstatic to have this in my collection. It is one of the grail releases from this band.

KMFDM - Nihil | Wax Trax!/TVT (1995)

This is a great album, and comic book & video game collectors will know the track, "Ultra" from the amazing Chun-Li vs Vega fight in the now classic Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie.

I'd love for this thread to become populated with everyone's truly great vinyl finds, or at this point even scarce CD's.
I have an original pressing of this, sealed.

oldjello
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite title: Rai (before the Future Force)

Post by oldjello »

My collection of records is nearing 2000. I will be selling some off once Covid takes a hike.
Gonna get a table at our local record show probably in June and sell CDs, rare vinyl, laserdiscs and cassettes.
The issue is weight with having a lot of these. When I moved, our movers said that the records were probably 1/3 of the weight of all of our stuff.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

oldjello wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:40:37 pm My collection of records is nearing 2000. I will be selling some off once Covid takes a hike.
Gonna get a table at our local record show probably in June and sell CDs, rare vinyl, laserdiscs and cassettes.
The issue is weight with having a lot of these. When I moved, our movers said that the records were probably 1/3 of the weight of all of our stuff.
Yeah, that's a huge vinyl collection you have there, man.

I intentionally don't do that. I did that with CD's and whatnot back in the day. But I went back into vinyl only for the absolute classics, my absolute bar-none favorites, or a niche sub group here or there (i.e., I collect original Wax Trax!). It keeps the collection smaller and more poignant.

It was the only way I could do it amidst this mentality I've had for a bit now of "getting away from so many physical things".