Anyone here collect Megos?

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

maraxusofkeld
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
Valiant fan since: UNITY
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Magnus
Favorite artist: Bob Layton
Anyone here collect Megos?

Post by maraxusofkeld »

Hey guys, I finished all my 80's toy collections in 2017 so I started to collect the Star Trek and Planet of the Apes Megos. I was not born until 10 years after these came out but boy are they nice. Anyone else here collect either of these lines?

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen
Re: Anyone here collect Megos?

Post by IMJ »

As a kid I had the Spider-Man, Batman, Superman and I think a couple Dukes of Hazard Megos. They were my favorite toys, and some of the earliest memories of toys that I can conjure (I was born in '77). I remember that the Superman logo came off of his costume and so my Dad colored a logo with ridiculous precision from a Superman coloring book, cut it out and put it back on the toy for me....

Since that time, the only Mego I've ever bought was an Iron Man one. I had a brief fascination with wanting to collect these years ago, but directed it to the Mego Pocket Heroes line instead, which was probably for the better. I have a decent, small collection of those.

I remember the vintage Mego line pricing went through the roof in the late 90's, early 2000's, and although some of them are pretty pricey today, I think the market on them began a stabilizing decline which began with the Marvel Famous Covers line and then continued to stabilize as companies began releasing all of the repro and basically homage Mego stuff that's out there today.

Still, the Mego line was a very cool piece of toy collecting history.

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Can't say that I really collect them, but I still have my old figures from when I was a kid. Very well worn and played with it, so I mainly keep them for sentimental value. They were some of my favorite toys growing up. Watched an episode of Big Bang Theory a couple of years ago where a Mego Spock talks to Sheldon and thought it was so cool to see the figure again.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

I wish I did.

I had a few when I was a kid. I didn't have a lot of toys when I was young, but I did have a few Megos.

Would love love love to have some.

maraxusofkeld

Post by maraxusofkeld »

I got into them recently and at least the Star Trek crew was rather cheap. I was able to get most on damaged cards for $60 and under. Some of the aliens are expensive, but not what they were in years past due to the Diamond select repros that were put out.

IMJ
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

maraxusofkeld wrote:I got into them recently and at least the Star Trek crew was rather cheap. I was able to get most on damaged cards for $60 and under.
Wow, that's actually pretty awesome and a good plan. You got a brand new Mego collection by buying damaged carded examples. :thumb:
My thumb's up here is assuming that you opened them, yes?

maraxusofkeld

Post by maraxusofkeld »

IMJ wrote:
maraxusofkeld wrote:I got into them recently and at least the Star Trek crew was rather cheap. I was able to get most on damaged cards for $60 and under.
Wow, that's actually pretty awesome and a good plan. You got a brand new Mego collection by buying damaged carded examples. :thumb:
My thumb's up here is assuming that you opened them, yes?

I didn't open them yet, but once I get all the characters I will to put them on display. I also started the Planet of the Apes line as well. Very detailed figures for the time. Never had any as a kid but enjoying them now.