ValiantFans.com Board - Since 2004

Message Board Top Level | Main Website | Price Guide | Book Release History | Official Calendar |
It is currently Jan 18, 2019 3:48:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Toys of the 80s
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:31:28 am 
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Cyberstrike wrote:
The Transformers have been a huge passion of mine for 29 going on 30 years I have over 1000 toys (and that is just a guess) in my collection now from G1 to the present day.

G.I. Joe I had a few G.I. Joe toys no where near as much as TFs I did have the Rolling Thunder.

Star Wars I had a few SW toys nothing major other Rancor monster and Darth Vader's Tie Fighter.

Any interest in making a 3DTransformers site? Seriously. PM me if so.

I'm training and enabling people to do what I've done with 3DJoes.com

Vintge3DJoes.com (covering 60s-70s Joes) will be the first sister site. It goes live 8-24-13

---------------------
G.I. Joe Fan #1
http://www.3DJoes.com

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Google+
  Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:36:05 am 
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Don Perlin
Carson wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:
The Transformers have been a huge passion of mine for 29 going on 30 years I have over 1000 toys (and that is just a guess) in my collection now from G1 to the present day.

G.I. Joe I had a few G.I. Joe toys no where near as much as TFs I did have the Rolling Thunder.

Star Wars I had a few SW toys nothing major other Rancor monster and Darth Vader's Tie Fighter.

Vintge3DJoes.com (covering 60s-70s Joes) will be the first sister site. It goes live 8-24-13

Most of my early Tfs are in bad shape.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:50:59 am 
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Cyberstrike wrote:
Carson wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:

I'd still like to see them on a site like Carson's!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:06:38 pm 
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Don Perlin
lorddunlow wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:
Carson wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:

I'd still like to see them on a site like Carson's!

Check out the photo galleries at http://www.seibertron.com they all look or looked liked that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:20:34 pm 

Cyberstrike wrote:
Check out the photo galleries at http://www.seibertron.com they all look or looked liked that.

But those aren't 3D. Have you seen Carson's site? It's like you have the toy in your hands in front of you. So awesome. A 3DTransformers.com needs to exist!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:43:19 pm 

Cyberstrike wrote:
Carson wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:

Understand. Yeah, archive sites should try to feature minty and complete specimens, so collectors know what they should be looking for. If there's discoloration or paint damages they probably shouldn't be in an archive. Thanks for the links to pics!

Let me know if you know any die hard TF fans with mint, complete collections.

I just need one TF fan as crazy as me to give up the time and money needed to build one of these sites for TF.

Same goes for Star Wars, Ninja Turtles, Super Powers, et all!

---------------------
G.I. Joe Fan #1
http://www.3DJoes.com

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:34:35 pm 
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

When my son turned around 14, he wanted to start selling his every earthly possession on Craigslist, yard sales, Ebay, etc. Over the years I'd bought him all his favorites, a full set of dinosaurs from the Carnegie collection, his favorite stuffed animals from when he was little, a large collection of Bandai Godzilla figures, etc.

Now, I still have my most favorite toys from when I was a kid, mostly plastic animals, and I know I've treasured them as an adult. I can still see all the little bite marks I put in my dinosaurs from when I was 5 years old. Those skinny little tails were just asking for it. :lol:

Eventually I got sick and tired of watching this kid try to sell his soul on Craigslist. So, one day I walked into his room and made him an offer: I would buy every toy he owned. I peeled three twenties out of my wallet and asked "Is this enough?" He jumped at the offer.

"Okay, so the rules are that you can keep the toys in your room, but they now belong to me. You cannot sell them or give them away, they are my property. One day, when you are older, I will give them back to you and you will thank me for saving your childhood."

And that was that.

Last edited by jmatt on Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:29:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:48:37 pm 

Favorite character: Gunny Lewis
Favorite title: Armorines
Favorite writer: Jorge Gonzalez
Awesome! Wish my parents had done the same.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:08:27 pm 

jmatt wrote:
When my son turned around 14, he wanted to start selling his every earthly possession on Craigslist, yard sales, Ebay, etc. Over the years I'd bought him all his favorites, a full set of dinosaurs from the Carnegie collection, his favorite stuffed animals from when he was little, a large collection of Bandai Godzilla figures, etc.

Now, I still have my most favorite toys from when I was a kid, mostly plastic animals, and I know I've treasured them as an adult. I can still see all the little bite marks I put in my dinosaurs from when I was 5 years old. Those skinny little tails were just asking for it. :lol:

Eventually I got sick and tired of watching this kid try to sell his soul on Craigslist. So, one day I walked into his room and made him an offer: I would buy every toy he owned. I peeled three twenties out of my wallet and asked "Is this enough?". He jumped at the offer.

"Okay, so the rules are that you can keep the toys in your room, but they now belong to me. You cannot sell them or give them away, they are my property. One day, when you are older, I will give them back to you and you will thank me for saving your childhood."

And that was that.

Wow, you are a great dad... bravo! :clap:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:25:11 pm 
It's Porktastic!!!
It's Porktastic!!!

Carson wrote:
jmatt wrote:

Eventually I got sick and tired of watching this kid try to sell his soul on Craigslist. So, one day I walked into his room and made him an offer: I would buy every toy he owned. I peeled three twenties out of my wallet and asked "Is this enough?". He jumped at the offer.

And that was that.

Wow, you are a great dad... bravo! :clap:

+1 that was a very good thing to do. :thumb:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:58:57 am 
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.

I used to collect Joes from the 1988-1991 era, although I had a *SQUEE* of figures from the early eighties. Like the 1st Snake Eyes, complete. The 1st and 2nd versions of the Commander, first Storm Shadow, etc. Lots of stuff that unfortunately I sold to fund my guitar needs. At one point I must have had almost a 100 of these.
I also used to collect the TMNT line, when the 25th anniversary figs came out, I grabbed them asap. I love those figures. :D
I also had a couple of SW Kenner figs (rotoscope lightsaber Vader and Han) but I had to play with them on my own, because none of the other kids had any SW figures.
I never got caught in the Transformer madness, except for once when I entered a drawing contest by basically tracing Optimus. 8-)

MOTUwise, I have a funny story: my cousin was appointed by my grandma to pick 2 figures, one for each of us (I was in camp ir something). He picked the latest He-Man fig for him (the one where the armor gets damged?).
And for me he chose this:
facepalm

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:50:03 pm 
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.

Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Currently Ninjak
jmatt wrote:

Eventually I got sick and tired of watching this kid try to sell his soul on Craigslist. So, one day I walked into his room and made him an offer: I would buy every toy he owned. I peeled three twenties out of my wallet and asked "Is this enough?" He jumped at the offer.

And that was that.

Best. Story. Ever.

I've stored away for future reference. I have 2 young boys.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:03:22 pm 
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.

Valiant fan since: UNITY
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Magnus
Favorite artist: Bob Layton
I've surprised that no one Cops N' Crooks. The cartoon was pretty sweet and so were the toys.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:53:24 am 
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]

Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes
jmatt wrote:

And that was that.

Awesome, man. I did the same thing with my son for his video games. Although we actually did sell most of his toys to give him some spending money in San Diego last year.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:10:22 pm 

depluto wrote:
jmatt wrote:

And that was that.

Awesome, man. I did the same thing with my son for his video games. Although we actually did sell most of his toys to give him some spending money in San Diego last year.

And that's why your kids will likely care when you die. My mother did quite the opposite and sold or gave away literally every last piece of my childhood. My immediate family (I hate even referring to them that way - my wife and son are my only family) have no sentiment and are basically the poster children for our disposable culture. Holidays have no meaning beyond increasing consumption of material goods and they have no traditions. There were so many cool things I had (my family believed in buying love) that I would have loved to show off/give to my son that would cost me thousands of dollars to reaccumulate.

If your kids are grateful for what you have done in 20 years, give me a call and I'll send them to WV to live with my sister.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:16:23 pm 
It's Porktastic!!!
It's Porktastic!!!

lorddunlow wrote:
Holidays have no meaning beyond increasing consumption of material goods and they have no traditions.

I wouldn't know how to deal with that.:(

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:40:25 pm 

comicsyte95 wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
Holidays have no meaning beyond increasing consumption of material goods and they have no traditions.

I pretend they don't exist. Works pretty well. It's sort of cool getting to be the origin of family traditions, though. My wife brought some of her family's traditions into the mix, but for the most part we make them up as we go, and then follow them fanatically. I cannot relate to my family in any way. It is very odd. The overwhelming response I get from people who know me then meet my family is "you grew up in that family?!"

My parents made fun of me when I save allowance money for an entire year before the SNES was released when I was 10 years old and bought it on release date with "my own" money. They also made fun of me because I looked through department store circulars to find the cheapest price (Lowe's for $199.00 - everyone else was selling it for $199.99 :lol: ).

I'm having a bad day, and that always makes me think of my family when I was growing up. I was abused or anything, but I definitely wasn't loved. I'll stop bumming people out in this cool thread I started. Sorry 'bout that. :oops:

On topic, I loved the little wrestling figures that were not WWF, but silly caricatures. Anyone remember those?

I also had a ton of these (and I loved them!):

Also thought this was cool to look at: http://toysofthe80s.tumblr.com/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:00:44 pm 

In trying to figure out what those damn wrestling toys were called, I stumbled onto this article which is a fun read. However, the below comment literally made me do a spit take in my office:

Quote:
Regarding Manglor:

I work in advertising, for the most part shamelessly. This product stands as my very first memory of being actively sold a lie. I recall after I permanently destroyed my Manglor's arm (w/in 30 seconds of opening the toy), I looked more closely at the commercial during the next week's Saturday morning cartoons, and sure enough, it was obvious the arm wasn't actually being reattached in any meaningful way, and they added the caveat "ALMOST like new". Taught me a lot about advertising, and about critical listening, and that the world was an unapologetically cruel place. So in that sense, perhaps this completely worthless, hateful toy was more valuable than I gave it credit for at the time.

Still, *SQUEE* you Manglor.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:06:30 pm 

Found them! M.U.S.C.L.E.

The internet is so awesome.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:30:44 pm 
It's Porktastic!!!
It's Porktastic!!!

lorddunlow wrote:
comicsyte95 wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:

I pretend they don't exist. Works pretty well. It's sort of cool getting to be the origin of family traditions, though. My wife brought some of her family's traditions into the mix, but for the most part we make them up as we go, and then follow them fanatically. I cannot relate to my family in any way. It is very odd. The overwhelming response I get from people who know me then meet my family is "you grew up in that family?!"

My parents made fun of me when I save allowance money for an entire year before the SNES was released when I was 10 years old and bought it on release date with "my own" money. They also made fun of me because I looked through department store circulars to find the cheapest price (Lowe's for $199.00 - everyone else was selling it for $199.99 :lol: ).

I'm having a bad day, and that always makes me think of my family when I was growing up. I was abused or anything, but I definitely wasn't loved. I'll stop bumming people out in this cool thread I started. Sorry 'bout that. :oops:

Your past family sound like how my both my brothers inlaws treat my family.Screw them I say.

I sold a Bloodshot plat. to pay for a vacation for my sister in law and kids to visit my family up north and only promised to buy food ,gas and hotel she made me buy everything including an ipod for my niece (after she threw a fit in the store).And anything else they wanted out of being a nice guy.I was so mad I could spit that a comic convention was going on a few miles away when I was told the trip was for them.No time to go after all it was for them.They even complained *SQUEE* and moaned how it was out of the way when I wanted a special salad,soda and some candy that isn't available in my area I live in now.

A month ago my niece came up to me while visiting and said "my mom wants to know if you will sell your comics so we can go on vacation again".It took every iota of patience I had not to tell her mom to *SQUEE* off *SQUEE*. :mad:
:rant: :rant:
The family you have now is all that matters as long as you have that is all you need.

Sorry about this rant,just feels good to get that out.
:offtopic:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:13:35 am 

comicsyte95 wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
comicsyte95 wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:

Your past family sound like how my both my brothers inlaws treat my family.Screw them I say.

I sold a Bloodshot plat. to pay for a vacation for my sister in law and kids to visit my family up north and only promised to buy food ,gas and hotel she made me buy everything including an ipod for my niece (after she threw a fit in the store).And anything else they wanted out of being a nice guy.I was so mad I could spit that a comic convention was going on a few miles away when I was told the trip was for them.No time to go after all it was for them.They even complained *SQUEE* and moaned how it was out of the way when I wanted a special salad,soda and some candy that isn't available in my area I live in now.

A month ago my niece came up to me while visiting and said "my mom wants to know if you will sell your comics so we can go on vacation again".It took every iota of patience I had not to tell her mom to *SQUEE* off *SQUEE*. :mad:
:rant: :rant:
The family you have now is all that matters as long as you have that is all you need.

Sorry about this rant,just feels good to get that out.
:offtopic:

:thumb:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:46:56 am 

http://www.ilovethe80s.com/toys_toys_wr ... uddies.htm

Dunlow, is that what you were referring to, man?

I also forgot to mention these:
http://www.action-figures.ca/galaxy_warriors.htm
and
http://www.action-figures.ca/galaxy_fighters.htm

These were the poor kids' MOTU. :lol: But I actually liked some of them better than the MOTU ones.

One line that is been on my mind for years now, is the Secret Wars one. I remember my parents not buying me a single one of them when they came out, and then they were gone in a rush. For some years, I have been tempted to fork the obscenity of money some sellers ask for a MOC Wolverine. It's a case of "I wanted that so bad as a kid, now I can have it". Same with Super Powers Batman, but that is soon going to be mine (re-edition later this year).

But what I would love to have BACK is my ANH Vader. :(

EDIT- Just saw your post on the M.U.S.C.L.E./Kinnikkuman line. Nevermind.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:15:41 am 
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!

Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
I had a Rock Lord. I don't know how or where I got it, but I never knew what it was and thought it was the stupidest thing ever. A transformer that turns from a robot into a... rock? Oh, yay, how exciting. Maybe the other Transformers can pick it up and throw it at something.

I remember M.U.S.C.L.E., but never did care for them. One of my best friends, however, is a huge M.U.S.C.L.E. fanatic and has a nearly complete set.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:33:16 pm 
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.

Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character
Heath wrote:
I remember M.U.S.C.L.E., but never did care for them. One of my best friends, however, is a huge M.U.S.C.L.E. fanatic and has a nearly complete set.

I made up names for mine, then created hand-written tournament brackets with random seeding and had them battle until there was a champion.

Nine year olds are weird... or was that just me? :?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:46:16 pm 
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.

Favorite character: Kris
A bit later than the lines discussed already, but I was an avid collector of the Dino-Riders when I was a kid.

Offline Profile