3DJoes.com

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Carson
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
3DJoes is going BIG!

Post by Carson »

Terror Drome in 360!

http://www.3djoes.com/terror-drome.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is the first of many big vehicles to come :-)

Carson
Re: 3DJoes.com

Post by Carson »

Want a one of a kind "3DJoes of the 80s" proof with the blue silhouette page? Check out these two auctions!
http://bit.ly/1dHo3Ng
http://bit.ly/1eKZf3o

These are the only two in existence. I'm only selling them because I need to raise some money to pay off the latest 90s poster run.

Carson

Post by Carson »

50 Years of G.I. Joe! So What’s Next?

http://underscoopfire.com/50-years-g-joe-whats-next/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:hm:

Carson
1982 is complete!

Post by Carson »

The Cobra Missile Command Headquarters has arrived!

The 1982 Cobra Missile Command Headquarters is the only G.I. Joe playset ever made out of cardboard. It is also the only playset or vehicle to feature product photography rather than illustration on the front of the box. The MCHQ was only sold at Sears and is quite rare. Due to the materials it is extremely fragile, and finding one in decent condition can be quite a task. This set is one of the "holy grails" of 1980s Joe collecting.

MCHQ: Missile Command Headquarters - 3DJOES

1982 is polished and complete!

To wrap up 1982, I decided to take another pass in Photoshop on all of the file cards and box art photos. I have been steadily improving the photo editing since beginning the site less than two years ago, so the 1982 photos were due for a refresh. Be sure to check out all of the 1982 figure and vehicle pages to see the improved photos!

1982 figures: G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero - 1982 Figures - Overview - 3DJOES
1982 vehicles: G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero - 1982 Vehicles - Overview - 3DJOES

Heath
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall

Post by Heath »

Awesome!!!
I would agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Carson

Post by Carson »

Heath wrote:Awesome!!!
Thanks Heath! I knew there was at least one Joe fan on here :-)

Carson
Are you ready for some action?

Post by Carson »

The 1987 Motorized Action Packs have arrived!

There were eight Motorized Action Packs released in 1987, featuring windup motors and an on/off switches. I had several of these as a kid and I remember really enjoying them. From the Earth Borer's spinning chrome tip, to the Helicopter's rotating blades, to the Pom-Pom's recoiling barrels, they added so much fun to play time. Check them all out today over on the 1987 Vehicle overview!

http://www.3djoes.com/1987-overview.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Carson
Seven new 1987 vehicles have arrived!

Post by Carson »

The G.I. Joe Persuader, Road Toad, and S.L.A.M., the Dreadnok Cycle, and the Cobra Buzz Boar, Jet Pack and Sea Ray have all arrived on the 1987 Vehicle Overview page. Also, the rest of the 1987 vehicle pages are up, with box art and blueprints for almost all of them. If you have something that we are missing, and you want to contribute to 3DJoes then please contact us via Facebook or Twitter!

http://www.3djoes.com/1987-overview.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Heath

Post by Heath »

I waste FAR too much time on your site!! Please stop updating it so I can get some work done!! :D :D

Carson
New scans posted!

Post by Carson »

Check out this awesome Defiant illustration from the 1987 "Live the Adventure - Operation Space Station" booklet.

This and tons of other new scans are posted in the Catalogs section!

http://www.3djoes.com/catalogs.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Look for these new additions:
1984 catalogs and offers page: "For GI Joe Team Members Only" (orange version)

1987 catalogs and offers page: "Live the Adventure - Operation Space Station" and four Steel Brigade offers.

1988 catalogs and offers page: "Operation Blackout" catalog, "Top Secret: The Dance of Doom" catalog, "Is This the End of Serpentor?" figure insert, Face Camo figure insert and Super Trooper figure insert.

1990 catalogs and offers page: "The Incredible Shrinking Joes!" catalog.

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen
Re: 1982 is complete!

Post by IMJ »

Carson wrote:The Cobra Missile Command Headquarters has arrived!

The 1982 Cobra Missile Command Headquarters is the only G.I. Joe playset ever made out of cardboard. It is also the only playset or vehicle to feature product photography rather than illustration on the front of the box. The MCHQ was only sold at Sears and is quite rare. Due to the materials it is extremely fragile, and finding one in decent condition can be quite a task. This set is one of the "holy grails" of 1980s Joe collecting.

MCHQ: Missile Command Headquarters - 3DJOES

1982 is polished and complete!

To wrap up 1982, I decided to take another pass in Photoshop on all of the file cards and box art photos. I have been steadily improving the photo editing since beginning the site less than two years ago, so the 1982 photos were due for a refresh. Be sure to check out all of the 1982 figure and vehicle pages to see the improved photos!

1982 figures: G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero - 1982 Figures - Overview - 3DJOES
1982 vehicles: G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero - 1982 Vehicles - Overview - 3DJOES
You just did to me with G.I. Joe what I do to people with Iron Man. I've never seen that before, I had no idea it existed. It is awesome.

Carson

Post by Carson »

^ thanks for looking! Love dropping Joe knowledge :-)
AKA "The Anti-Chartist: he who made Charty go Sharty"
---------------------
Valiant Fan # 2021
---------------------
G.I. Joe Fan #1
http://www.3DJoes.com

Carson
The G.I. Joe Yearbook is complete!

Post by Carson »

Love G.I. Joe card art? Me too! Now you can browse every carded figure from the ARAH line (1982-1994) by simply scanning the card art! Simply click the carded figure to go to that figure's page and see their 3D photos, card backs and file cards.

http://www.3djoes.com/the-gi-joe-yearbo ... gures.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Carson

Post by Carson »

The Cobra Pogo Ballistic Battle Ball and the Coastal Defender have arrived. Bounce on over to the 1987 Vehicle Overview to see them all!

1987 Overview - 3DJOES

PS/ The Tiger Force vehicles are coming soon!

Heath

Post by Heath »

Carson, what's your stock like on the "Carded Joes" poster? I've put that in as a birthday request with my wife, but my birthday is not until June. Should I "encourage" her to go ahead and order it now? I have a spot in my office reserved for it.

Also, do you plan on a second "Carded Joes" poster?

Carson

Post by Carson »

Heath wrote:Carson, what's your stock like on the "Carded Joes" poster? I've put that in as a birthday request with my wife, but my birthday is not until June. Should I "encourage" her to go ahead and order it now? I have a spot in my office reserved for it.

Also, do you plan on a second "Carded Joes" poster?
Hey Heath,
I'll be selling them for years to come, so you're totally safe waiting for a birthday!

I *hope* to print a fourth poster, and it will more than likely feature 86-87 carded figures... but we'll see. I'm gonna design a few posters and let the Joe community vote on what gets made next.

Stay tuned to the merch page ( http://www.3djoes.com/merch.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) for updates, and I'll be sure to update this thread as well.

Thanks!
AKA "The Anti-Chartist: he who made Charty go Sharty"
---------------------
Valiant Fan # 2021
---------------------
G.I. Joe Fan #1
http://www.3DJoes.com

Carson

Post by Carson »

I spend a LOT of time in Photoshop: first I crop, skew and warp if needed to make a perfectly squared image. Then I white balance, color correct, and adjust brightness and contrast. Finally, I use a clone tool and a paintbrush to fix any imperfections that are within my abilities to fix.

I hope to one day to make two books with all of these images, one for 1982-1994 carded figures and one for 1982-1994 vehicles!

Want to see more vehicle art? Links to these new additions are on the updates page: Nullifier's A.G.P., Skidmark's Desert Fox, Star-Viper's Stellar Stilettto, Hot Seat's Raider, Overlord’s Dictator and Updraft's Retaliator.

3DJoes updates! - 3DJOES

Carson
1988 vehicle box art and blueprints are posted!

Post by Carson »

The 1988 vehicle box art and blueprints are posted!

http://www.3djoes.com/1988-overview.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A huge THANK YOU to Page and Greg Wagner, Tim Dz, Chris Cardillo, Crowemag Toys and the Yo Joe Outlet for their contributions!!!

Carson

Post by Carson »

The Maggot is here, and it is AWESOME. Seriously, I love this Cobra vehicle. I've never owned one and I was blown away by the level of detail in the molds - with joysticks, monitors and mechanics visible everywhere you look. Have a look at the Maggot page, and be sure to scroll down.

http://www.3djoes.com/cobra-maggot.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Carson
The 3DJoes posters have broken even!

Post by Carson »

Back in January, we printed a revised version of "3DJoes of the 80s" and the all new "3DJoes of the 90s" for $4,015. Four months later we are proud to say those posters have broken even! Thank you all for supporting 3DJoes. Poster sales going forward will now start to offset the costs of producing and maintaining 3DJoes.com

Heath

Post by Heath »

Carson, I was wondering what you thought about the short lived Sgt. Savage line? I actually rather liked it. Of course, it wasn't classic ARAH, but it was much better than the later stuff from that line. I liked that they went back to a more military style of design. I was disappointed when it was cancelled and replaced with the "GI Joe Extreme" line. Everything about "Extreme" was just wrong.

Carson

Post by Carson »

Heath wrote:Carson, I was wondering what you thought about the short lived Sgt. Savage line? I actually rather liked it. Of course, it wasn't classic ARAH, but it was much better than the later stuff from that line. I liked that they went back to a more military style of design. I was disappointed when it was cancelled and replaced with the "GI Joe Extreme" line. Everything about "Extreme" was just wrong.
You know I honestly grew out of GI Joe around 1990, so I missed the last four very colorful A Real American Hero years, the entire Sgt. Savage line, GI Joe extreme, the return of O-ring figures in 1997, and the entire "new sculpt" era in the early 2000s. I finally got back into Gijoe with the 25th anniversary stuff in 2007.

That said, I agreed that the Sgt. Savage line was a welcome return to military realism. But I think the figures only had five points of articulation, right?

Heath

Post by Heath »

The Sgt. Savage figures were designed more like the ARAH figures with the main exception being the lack of an O-ring. The waist could rotate. They were also larger scale but other than the waist, had the same basic articulation as ARAH.

It was the "Extreme" line that had the very limited articulation. And the sculpts were rather ridiculous with the muscles and posing.

They carried the Sgt. Savage character over to the "Extreme" line so some people consider the two as one line, but I see a very distinct separation between them.

Carson

Post by Carson »

Heath wrote:The Sgt. Savage figures were designed more like the ARAH figures with the main exception being the lack of an O-ring. The waist could rotate. They were also larger scale but other than the waist, had the same basic articulation as ARAH.

It was the "Extreme" line that had the very limited articulation. And the sculpts were rather ridiculous with the muscles and posing.

They carried the Sgt. Savage character over to the "Extreme" line so some people consider the two as one line, but I see a very distinct separation between them.
Interesting, the Sgt. Savage cartoon looks more like the bulky, over-exxagerated Extreme figure.

Did you ever watch this cartoon? Check out the Cobra Commander cameo: http://youtu.be/KZC7vtK5IQ4?t=15m50s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Carson

Post by Carson »

Scroll to the bottom of the 1990 Catalogs page to check out the Micro Figures poster, complete with a slide show of all 20 file cards!

1990 - 3DJOES