Book collections.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

slym2none
a typical message board assassin
a typical message board assassin
Book collections.

Post by slym2none »

To stray from IMJ's antique/historical book thread, what other books do you collect? Genre? Author?

:? 8-) :thumb:

I myself have some cool Dark Tower books from S. King (3rd ed. of The Gunslinger, 2nd ed. of The Wastelands, & 1st ed. of The Drawing Of The Three) and an old, dust-jacket-less copy of The Silmarillion, and a few other things I can't remember right now. I also have always owned a set of the Robert Lynn Aspirin edited collection of short-stories based around The Vulgar Unicorn.

When I get my stuff up here to NY from NC, I'll have a better handle on what I own, but want to hear what other book collectors own.

-slym

sonicdan
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis LaRosa

Post by sonicdan »

I don't collect high end or rare books but I do like to pick up cheap paperbacks at garage sales or thrift stores.
Sci-Fi books from Ray Bradbury, Isaac Isimov, Arthur C. Clarke etc always catch my eye.
Also, any Cold War propaganda books from the 50's & 60s are always neat.
I do have a Kurt Vonnegut Timequake proof copy, a Neil Gaiman signed advance edition of Stardust (#39 of 250), and a
R.A. Salvatore signed edition of Star Wars Attack of the Clones hardcover w/slipcase that I am happy to own.
DAN

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

I'm into a few books as "collectibles" in particular. Mostly stuff I like reading, but an occassional book based on a property I love. For example, T.E. Lawrence is something I've picked up because of the relevence to Indiana Jones and also the incredible relevence to the upcoming Uncharted game.

Otherwise, I buy stuff I've loved to read. Greek Classics, Chuck Pahlaniak, To Kill A Mockingbird, Catcher In The Rye, A Wrinkle In Time and BS Dracula are all books or authors that I've pursued where I can.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

Some other first editions I'd like to pick up would be the Shel Silverstein books, A Light In the Attic and Where The Sidewalk Ends.

There's a true first edition of WTSE on the bay right now. It's a pretty hefty price tag for a modern work, though.

Where The Sidewalk Ends, True First Edition | $650.00 BIN
Shel Silverstein, Where the Sidewalk Ends, 1st ed HC/DJ

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

Wow...

$14,0000 BIN
H. P. LOVECRAFT - The Shunned House - 1ST ED ARKHAM

First edition printing of Lovecraft's first book. This is one of approximately 50 sets of unbound sheets, from a total print run of approximately 300 sets of sheets. The convoluted publishing history of this most famous Lovecraft work is described in detail by Roy A. Squires in Jaffery's "Horrors and Unpleasantries," #62. By 1961, Arkham House had acquired 150 sets and bound 100 of them, leaving 50 unbound sets available for sale as sheets only. This is one of those sets and contains the Arkham House copyright paste-over label, with book titles printed in bold, as described by Squires.

From the Arkham House copyright notice: "Though the sheets of this story were printed and marked for copyright in 1928, the story was neither bound nor circulated at that time. A few copies were bound, put under copyright, and circulated by R.H. Barlow in 1936, but the first wide publication of the story was in the magazine, Weird Tales, in the following year. The story was originally set up and printed by the late W. Paul Cook, publisher of The Recluse."

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

I was hoping I could find this one somewhere and put up a fight for it, but it's a little steep for me at the moment. I'd imagine most of you here know why this one is relevant. It's a U.K. Edition though. :?

$1499.99 BIN
"DO ANDROIDS DREAM OF ELECTRIC SHEEP?" BY DICK! 1ST UK!

Published in England in 1969 by Rapp & Whiting. A VG copy in like dust jacket, with only light wear at head and heel of the spine panel, and some small pieces of archival tape reinforcement on the inside of the jacket at those points. No tears, or pieces out anywhere, and the jacket is not clipped, showing its original 21 Shilling price on the bottom left of the front flap. A scarce book, and rarely offered for sale!