Switch to full style
Non-comic collectibles, such as collectible cards, action figures, statues, toys, or even pogs! (If you collect it, and it's not comics... then discuss it here!)
Post a reply

Re: What other things do you collect ?

Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:51:42 pm

Do you try and keep your firearms in a certain range of ammunition so you aren't worried about having to find different ammo for all your guns, or are they widely varied?

-slym

Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:17:03 pm

I have a slight addiction to records.

Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:49:41 pm

slym2none wrote:Do you try and keep your firearms in a certain range of ammunition so you aren't worried about having to find different ammo for all your guns, or are they widely varied?

-slym

Oh no, I have all sorts of calibers. I get really interested in odd, strange calibers. I used to have a rifle in 6.5-06, a wildcat caliber that I had to form my own brass and load my own ammunition for. I have the common and commonly available calibers too, but I get really interested in something wacky.

Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:39:10 pm

So, when the *SQUEE* hits the fan, those are the ones you'll leave behind?

:D :P :twisted:

-slym

Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:47:28 am

slym2none wrote:So, when the *SQUEE* hits the fan, those are the ones you'll leave behind?

-slym

Believe me, I am covered. I can put together pools of firearms chambered in single calibres. I have five rifles that shoot .30-30s. I don't know how many 12 ga. or 20 ga. shotguns I have. I know I have two 16 ga. shotguns, even.

I have often argued that if someone is working towards something like preparing for a collapse of civilization (I hate any talk of zombies) then he needs to be able to outfit every member of his crew with a 12 ga. pump shotgun and a .22 LR rifle because those will be the workhorses of any post-collapse armory, not so much for defense from people (even though a good pump 12 is hard to beat) but for tasks like hunting and "porch-brooms".

Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:25:48 pm

:clap:

A nice .22LR rifle is definitely a good thing to have. Almost anyone can use them, unlike a shotgun, because there's almost no "kick."

-slym

Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:21:04 pm

slym2none wrote::clap:

A nice .22LR rifle is definitely a good thing to have. Almost anyone can use them, unlike a shotgun, because there's almost no "kick."

-slym

Part of the reason I have... 5(?) 20-gauges.

Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:01:18 pm

Don't get me wrong, I am all about a good shotgun, but I wouldn't hand my mom a 20-gauge and expect her to be able to shoot it. Probably not even a .410

But a .22 rifle? Sure!

-slym

Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:47:40 am

I learned to shoot on a 22 at the age of 8-9. Easy peazy.

Mon May 23, 2016 10:35:26 am

Chiclo wrote:
slym2none wrote:So, when the *SQUEE* hits the fan, those are the ones you'll leave behind?

-slym

Believe me, I am covered. I can put together pools of firearms chambered in single calibres. I have five rifles that shoot .30-30s. I don't know how many 12 ga. or 20 ga. shotguns I have. I know I have two 16 ga. shotguns, even.

I have often argued that if someone is working towards something like preparing for a collapse of civilization (I hate any talk of zombies) then he needs to be able to outfit every member of his crew with a 12 ga. pump shotgun and a .22 LR rifle because those will be the workhorses of any post-collapse armory, not so much for defense from people (even though a good pump 12 is hard to beat) but for tasks like hunting and "porch-brooms".

Why do you hate talk of zombies?

Did you know scientists are seeking approval to begin testing reactivating synapses in braindead people? A very bad idea imho.

Mon May 23, 2016 6:49:44 pm

I am more scared of the possibility of sentient robots than I am "zombies".

-slym

Wed May 25, 2016 12:20:00 am

I am a serial hoarder unfortunately. If it looks cool to me or if I want to try it out, I go out and get it. My collections are as follows:

- Comics (Marvel, DC, Valiant, IDW...you name it. In singles, trades or hardcovers)
- Magic the Gathering (Cardboard crack, picked it up when I was in the Army of all places. Very touch and go...mostly trying to keep it "Go" at this point)
- Tabletop wargaming (Currently I paint and Play Warmachine, a game from Privateer Press. I also paint and collect Infinity from a company called Corvus Belli. Touch and go hobby.)
- Action figures (the glut of my collecting hobby. Its pretty much focused on 4 things: cool superhero stuff, Kamen Rider, Transformers and more recently some Gundams. I pick up a random Star Wars figure or 3 on a whim when the Star Wars mood strikes.)

Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:03:32 pm

I like records.

Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:29:22 pm

MELVINS!

I just bought this t-shirt 2 days ago. Always a Seattleite.

https://megamart.subpop.com/tshirts/mud ... k_w_orange

Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:02:22 pm

I currently *kind of* collect Transformers Masterpiece figures... I currently have 8 of the Autobots. They're pretty expensive so I don't get them very often, and generally I can't afford the larger ones either (although I do have the MP10 Optimus Prime).

But holy crap, are these things ever a childhood dream come true. Ridiculously articulate & as cartoon accurate in both figure & vehicle modes as possible (and they seem to get better at that the more they make). Insane engineering & design work has gone into the way these transform to get the desired look in each mode.

Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:04:42 am

grendeljd wrote:I currently *kind of* collect Transformers Masterpiece figures... I currently have 8 of the Autobots. They're pretty expensive so I don't get them very often, and generally I can't afford the larger ones either (although I do have the MP10 Optimus Prime).

But holy crap, are these things ever a childhood dream come true. Ridiculously articulate & as cartoon accurate in both figure & vehicle modes as possible (and they seem to get better at that the more they make). Insane engineering & design work has gone into the way these transform to get the desired look in each mode.

If I would have know they were going to make these 10 years ago, I would never have bought the rest of the original G1 formers.

Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:36:00 pm

Does anyone collect any Marx playsets or know if a site that includes a checklist for what was included in each?

Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:34:57 am

maraxusofkeld wrote:
grendeljd wrote:I currently *kind of* collect Transformers Masterpiece figures... I currently have 8 of the Autobots. They're pretty expensive so I don't get them very often, and generally I can't afford the larger ones either (although I do have the MP10 Optimus Prime).

If I would have know they were going to make these 10 years ago, I would never have bought the rest of the original G1 formers.

As much of a massive G1 fan as I am, I was never terribly tempted to collect the old toys out of nostalgia. They are mostly pretty clunky looking, with a few exceptions. I would like to have the original Soundwave & Constructicons again.

But yeah, these new Masterpiece figures blow everything else out of the water, big time.

Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:26:10 am

I can't remember if I already posted this on this thread or elsewhere, but original G1 toys are my thing the last few years besides comics. I have focused on collecting most of the 1984-1985 releases, as well as the movie characters. I have bought original, reissue and even a couple KO figures. The last purchase I made was an original G1 Scorponok. Let's just say that I won't be buying Transformers again for awhile; they are NOT cheap these days :( But it is a schoolboy dream come true (to quote Grendel) to have the chance to collect these :)

Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:12:59 am

Still not buying Masterpiece Transformers very often, but I absolutely could not resist pre-ordering the latest: MP36 Megatron. It's a proper re-design that is very cartoon proportion accurate, especially compared to the previous Megatron in the MP line. Just got him in this week & I am utterly stunned with how awesome he is;

ImageImageImage

"Such heroic nonsense..."

Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:18:47 am

A shot of a few of my MP Transformers for size comparison. I think they've paid special attention to trying to keep these guys all relative in size/proportion to each other according to the cartoon;

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:23:14 pm

If I would have known they would have made these 20 years ago, I would never have finished the G1 line and just bought these instead.

Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:10:47 am

Those MP Transformers are awesome looking. First time seeing those.

Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:15:11 pm

Wow those are super nice! Very well balanced. I haven't collected figures/statues but I ran into a sweet deal on a Koto Vash The Stampede (Trigun Anime) that I couldn't say no to. I've kicked around the idea of Gundams a few times but never jumped. That Vash kind of gave me a little statue bug but I haven't picked up anything else yet beyond a couple pops and Valiant minimates.

For what ever reason... Transformers never crossed my mind!

I have all my old figures like GI Joe, He-Man, Thundercats, TMNT and micro machines but nothing is mint. I'll have to see if anything is in display shape maybe.

Right now, and since I got the original console at release, I collect NES and other video games. I have something like 400+ NES cartridges and fairly robust in quality SNES, GameCube, N64 and PS2 libraries. Also collect Japanese vertical shooters (shmups) across a number of consoles.

Modern Firearms
Modern Pockets knives
Beer and scotch experiences

That about does it

Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:08:46 pm

I'm a collector by nature, but I focus almost exclusively on Comics now. One of the odder things I collect with my boys are bird feathers, animal bones and shells, all found objects.
Post a reply