ValiantFans.com Board - Since 2004

Message Board Top Level | Main Website | Price Guide | Book Release History | Newest Books |
It is currently Nov 14, 2018 2:55:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The Gamebooks Thread
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:49:53 pm 
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them

Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Actually, with a little further investigation, it looks like the TORG series of books I'm remembering are just novels based on an RPG supplement. I saw them around but never clued into them just being novels, I guess!

Here's one of the ZORK books, I'm pretty sure I had this one;

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Google+
  Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:02:03 pm 

Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Got that copy of Forest Of Doom in the mail just before Xmas - in tip top shape (someone had laminated the cover so it was well preserved). Finally had time to open it up, roll my character stats & have a go at it. SOO MUCH FUN. I remember so many of the encounters from back in the day... it was seriously tickling my nostalgia-bone to read through & game it!

Thanks for starting this thread & reminding me to revisit an almost forgotten favourite thing from my youth, 'Tuga!! :thumb: :thumb:

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:12:31 am 
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.

grendeljd wrote:
Got that copy of Forest Of Doom in the mail just before Xmas - in tip top shape (someone had laminated the cover so it was well preserved). Finally had time to open it up, roll my character stats & have a go at it. SOO MUCH FUN. I remember so many of the encounters from back in the day... it was seriously tickling my nostalgia-bone to read through & game it!

Thanks for starting this thread & reminding me to revisit an almost forgotten favourite thing from my youth, 'Tuga!! :thumb: :thumb:

Ha, don't mention it, very happy to see another old Allansian finding its way through Darkwood. One hilarious bit about this book in particular (and quite telling of how undeveloped the gaming system still was- this is the first book by Livingstone alone) is that you can play it forever without dying, if you have high stats- and I always do, Skill 11/12 Stamina 22/20 and Luck 10 to give it a bit of challenge; I think that an Allansian adventurer with a rep would not be a Skill 7 guy. That's maybe an Orc skill number :P But Luck is luck and since the penalties are often not as bad... I roll with it.
The book asks you if you have both halves of the Hammer in the "finishing line"; if you don't have them, it gives you the OPTION of going back to the beginning and try again instead of good ol' "Your adventure ends here."

I love the illustrations on this one, but its the McCaig cover that blew my freaking 10 yo self. I love it so much.

You want to experience a TRUE nostalgia kick then hear me: there's a later book in the series (#50) that is called Return to Firetop Mountain. If you recall, Warlock of the Firetop Mountain is the very first FF book. This sequel is an actual return to the place; you'll find rooms that were filled with Goblins just destroyed and so many other vestiges of the first book. I actually played it for the first time EXACTLY 10 years after the last time I had played WotFM (around 14/15), which is the number of years that have passed in-story. I hold many great memories of that adventure even if I played as an adult. Double nostalgia punch!!!

If you want me to suggest you some more-evolved books of late in the line, just say. I know that everyone loves the early classics, but FF really got better in the dice/gaming bit dept with time, although not kid-friendly at all in that aspect. Some books are literally impossible to finish unless you have maximum stats and just the biggest luck in the world, like Crypt of the Sorcerer (a nightmare to finish) but others rely on more "mature" writing, the lore of the franchise and "mood". These are my fav reads, not counting the nostalgia the early ones will always have. The stuff by Stephen Hand is all TOP. And you have to read Creature of Havoc, the last Steve Jackson (NOT the Munchkin guy, although he did write ONE Fighting Fantasy book- Scorpion Swamp. Its one of those trivia things.) book, I swear it is awesome awesome awesome. And of course, Sorcery! the mini series where you have to memorize spells and can play as 2 different classes.

I can't find my maps right now but when I do I will post it here, like I said, promise.

And btw, I'll soon send you a copy of one of my books that I have a spare english edition- Phantoms of Fear, it is a great book with great art. :thumb:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:46:00 pm 
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Don Perlin
ShadowTuga wrote:
newt138 wrote:
Been slowly collecting them for 10 years now. Mostly I find CYOA books. But lucked out a few years back found 3 of the TSR Marvel Superhero gamebooks. The Batman which way adventure and one of the Lone Wolf books.

I've been trying to find one of those (TSR Superhero line) but to no luck so far. I really want to try the Bats and Supes one (they were all by TSR, I assume). Would love to hear your thoughts on it, since I have no idea about the quality of the writing and/or the Game System.

There were other table top RPG companies Paladin Press had Robotech, Macross, Star Wars, and TMNT (I know they had the first two and I think they had the latter but I'm not 100% sure of it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:21:07 pm 

Cyberstrike wrote:
ShadowTuga wrote:
newt138 wrote:
Been slowly collecting them for 10 years now. Mostly I find CYOA books. But lucked out a few years back found 3 of the TSR Marvel Superhero gamebooks. The Batman which way adventure and one of the Lone Wolf books.

I've been trying to find one of those (TSR Superhero line) but to no luck so far. I really want to try the Bats and Supes one (they were all by TSR, I assume). Would love to hear your thoughts on it, since I have no idea about the quality of the writing and/or the Game System.

There were other table top RPG companies Paladin Press had Robotech, Macross, Star Wars, and TMNT (I know they had the first two and I think they had the latter but I'm not 100% sure of it.

You mean Palladium Books, and yes - they have Robotech/Macross & TMNT, but never had Star Wars. Originally it was West End Games that had the rights to Star Wars RPGs & published a ton of supplements, but currently it's Fantasy Flight Games who is publishing SW RPGs, with their own rules system that is separate from the old WEG stuff.

None of these guys ever published the kind of individual, solo gamebook novels (ala Choose Your Own Adventure, but with some combat rules requiring dice rolls to resolve) that we're talking about in this thread though - at least not to my knowledge. Correct me if I'm wrong on that :)

Last edited by grendeljd on Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:28:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:28:06 pm 

ShadowTuga wrote:
grendeljd wrote:

Ha, don't mention it, very happy to see another old Allansian finding its way through Darkwood. One hilarious bit about this book in particular (and quite telling of how undeveloped the gaming system still was- this is the first book by Livingstone alone) is that you can play it forever without dying, if you have high stats- and I always do, Skill 11/12 Stamina 22/20 and Luck 10 to give it a bit of challenge; I think that an Allansian adventurer with a rep would not be a Skill 7 guy. That's maybe an Orc skill number :P But Luck is luck and since the penalties are often not as bad... I roll with it.
The book asks you if you have both halves of the Hammer in the "finishing line"; if you don't have them, it gives you the OPTION of going back to the beginning and try again instead of good ol' "Your adventure ends here."

Yes!! I made one pass through & only found the head of the hammer - I had forgotten it let you go back through, so long as you Test Your Luck & pass to avoid being killed by the hillmen. :lol: :clap:

And yeah, I rolled really high on my stats - 12 skill, 20 Stamina & 9 for luck [not great]. Once I started picking up magic items & weapons, the hit roll bonuses got to a point where most of the creatures encountered couldn't match my lowest possible skill/attack rolls. So automatic kills for the most part - still tons of fun regardless.

ShadowTuga wrote:
I love the illustrations on this one, but its the McCaig cover that blew my freaking 10 yo self. I love it so much.

DUDE. That cover was immediately mesmerizing when I first saw it as a kid, and its still as awesome to me now as it was then. LOVE it. I was lucky enough that my mom generally would buy me any book I asked for on the spot when I was a kid - so I got this one right away. :D

ShadowTuga wrote:
You want to experience a TRUE nostalgia kick then hear me: there's a later book in the series (#50) that is called Return to Firetop Mountain. If you recall, Warlock of the Firetop Mountain is the very first FF book. This sequel is an actual return to the place; you'll find rooms that were filled with Goblins just destroyed and so many other vestiges of the first book. I actually played it for the first time EXACTLY 10 years after the last time I had played WotFM (around 14/15), which is the number of years that have passed in-story. I hold many great memories of that adventure even if I played as an adult. Double nostalgia punch!!!

Oh, thats really cool! I never read/played Warlock Of Firetop Mountain back in the day - that would be fun to get to play through both books.

ShadowTuga wrote:
If you want me to suggest you some more-evolved books of late in the line, just say. I know that everyone loves the early classics, but FF really got better in the dice/gaming bit dept with time, although not kid-friendly at all in that aspect. Some books are literally impossible to finish unless you have maximum stats and just the biggest luck in the world, like Crypt of the Sorcerer (a nightmare to finish) but others rely on more "mature" writing, the lore of the franchise and "mood". These are my fav reads, not counting the nostalgia the early ones will always have. The stuff by Stephen Hand is all TOP. And you have to read Creature of Havoc, the last Steve Jackson (NOT the Munchkin guy, although he did write ONE Fighting Fantasy book- Scorpion Swamp. Its one of those trivia things.) book, I swear it is awesome awesome awesome. And of course, Sorcery! the mini series where you have to memorize spells and can play as 2 different classes.

Cool dude, I'll check out Creature Of Havoc. Let me know all your favourites from the more mature era of the books - I will try to pick one up the odd time as the mood strikes me. I am kinda thinking about tracking down the rest of the SORCERY! books. I haven't gotten into re-reading Shamutanti Hills yet, but the idea of this line is really cool.

ShadowTuga wrote:
I can't find my maps right now but when I do I will post it here, like I said, promise.

And btw, I'll soon send you a copy of one of my books that I have a spare english edition- Phantoms of Fear, it is a great book with great art. :thumb:

Dude, thats awesome, thanks! That book looks super cool. 8-) :thumb:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:21:42 pm 

Ok, better late than never, so here's a sample of my map book, still a WIP (in 2007, i threw away all of the maps I did in order to make me play the books again. Dumb move. facepalm ). And yeah, I write in english. :P

Here's the solution for The Warlock of Firetop Mountain:

The one for Citadel of Chaos:

This is from one of the more advanced books (#43), Keep of The Lich Lord (which has a weird history: the authors recently reprinted it, but now it has nothing to do with the FF world/system; they are the guys behind Fabled Lands, another excellent series)

And the second half of the map, this book big.

And finally, the complete solution for Caverns of the Snow Witch (#9), one of the hardest early adventures. Great read, some of the encounters are absolute classics, like the White Rat :lol:

You can access these in their full size, if you want:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/16D_P0tMfHvIaO89vJuPZba7ekvqSS9SR
:thumb:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:23:41 pm 

Am I the only one who can't see the maps in the thread? I get that image symbol whateverthatis. :?

Anyway, some "good news" from the Fighting Fantasy front, brought to you by this old Allansian rabbit-skinner - any Chaos of Malice fans here? Ok. Moving on.

Scholastic books (the guys that started reprinting FF last year, in a new TPB format) have announced the next batch of books- and here comes another NEW adventure, written by a new author "Gates of Death" by Charlie Higson). This is a case of a fan of the books being given the chance to write a brand new adventure. Jonathan Green did this both in the later run of the OG line (Spellbreaker), and he also is the author of the more recent non-Livingstone works, whisch I reccomend to any fan. He's way more interesting as a writer than 3/4 of all the writers of the series. His "Howl of the Werewolf" is actually regarded (according to a poll published in the Fighting Fantazine mag) as the very best FF book that ever saw print. I own it but I have never played it because I don't want to run out of GOOD new FFs to play before I die, lol. :lol:
Also, Sorcery! is being reprinted again, something that hasn't been done in 15 years. Wow, my "new" books are now almost "vintage". :P
What bothers me about these relaunches (besides the fact that Ian Livingstone created another completely flat book just for the sake of it. It being money. His 3 offerings since FF got to be reprinted are so damn mediocre- Eye of the Dragon, Blood of the Zombies and now Port of Peril) are the new changes to the look of the books. They both looked good enough to me, honestly, and they both do have an 80s feel to it.

Problem, is they are completely different. :!: 1st worlder problem here!!!!!

First 6 books:

And the second wave, available in April (Yay for a Creature of Havoc cover that shows the baddie, like the original :D )

I have to confirm if the spines are the same, and if the first wave will be soon replaced by this new look.
I read in their blog that current french editions of these have those pre-made characters that someone thought was a good idea for the Wizard re-reprinting of FF. But they all contain info about Allansia, its more famus denizes, places, creatures, etc. Kinda of a Monster's Manual/Player's Handbook mini-mash.

Offline Profile