Welcome to Dead Universes...

Comic universes no longer active, Bravura, Continuity, CrossGen, Future, Malibu, Ultraverse... and others that are 'no longer with us' today (or only recently brought back).

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

dac55
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
new

Post by dac55 »

Welcome to the boards. I learen something new everday about the DU's. If you are a collecter of the DU. There are a few guy that might be able to help you out.

David

Blarghazt
Working on the first full appearance of me
Re: new

Post by Blarghazt »

dac55 wrote:Welcome to the boards. I learen something new everday about the DU's. If you are a collecter of the DU. There are a few guy that might be able to help you out.

David
Thanks!

I used to buy hordes of comics - in fact, when my local comic book store started giving me the big Diamond catalog each month, it was rediculous! I bought a lot of ...well, less than wonderful stuff. Eventually I came to my senses and stopped pretty much altogether. was actually a few years before I wnet back and bought any comics. These days, I only buy sporadically - often based on spur-of-the-moment whims.

But I was there for a lot of these now "Dead" universes...

Defiant, Broadway, Ultraverse, Milestone, Comic's Greatest World (Darkhorse), Techno, Atlas, Comico - I probably have many of the issues still - tucked away in boxes in closets or the garage, most likely buried under boxes of other ...ahem, stuff.

I just happened upon one, small such box recently, which had among other things: "Dark Domain" #6 from Defiant, "Hero Illustrated" # 15 september 1994 bagged with the "The Great Grimmax" # 0... The "Dark Dominion" issue induced me to search on the web for information... which eventually led me HERE! :)

Since then, I've enjoyed reading about Atlas/Seaboard comics (I remember those days - I gushed to a friend: "We gotta get in on these from the ground floor! We'll buy all the issues from number one and later we'll be rich beyond our wildest dreams!" - heheheh! So young!)....

I've also "discovered" "Future Comics" with a run of "Freemind" out of the cheap bin at a local comic shop ("LCS"?) and read Bob Layton's article on why they closed doors...

I probably won't do too much "collecting" - income is at a low point at the moment. But the wonderous amounts of web information is really setting off the nostaligia! :thumb:

I suppose I shoudl begin to dig some of those boxes out and "prospect" some!
"You're just not thinking fourth-dimensionally"

Blarghazt
So, is the TOWER universe (T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents) considered

Post by Blarghazt »

I don't think I saw the Tower (T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents) universe mentioned above - is it considered a "Dead Universe"? I know that the one guy still has the "rights" to the characters - and there had been some talk of DC reviving them, but that it was quashed before anything actually got published (other than some tantalizing new artwork and teasers).

I loved those old books. Wally Wood! Noman! Dynamo! "The death of Mentor" still makes me all misty-eyed!

dac55
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
books

Post by dac55 »

I've been trying to collect Valiant, Ultraverse, Defiant,Broadway, And now the guys have got me in to the Crossgen books, I'm like you dont have a lot of money to spend on them. But I have done a lot of trading with the guys here and bought a few. Most evey one here will give you a good deal on books your looking for. So if you are looking for some books, I wou;ld look at some of the for sell list.

David

Blarghazt
Re: I emailed you a coverscan of Grimmax #0

Post by Blarghazt »

Blarghazt wrote:
RyanMcLelland wrote:(AND ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE FEEL FREE TO JUMP IN :) )
Hi, new here - I just noticed this post, but had already emailed a coverscan of issue #0 of 'The Great Grimmax" that I had only recently dug up, going through an old box from the closet.

Hope its okay and you can use it.

(I'm loving all the info on old comics from the short-lived companies - so many memories!)
Well, it appears that email I sent has been bounced back as undeliverable :(

dantheman
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Re: books

Post by dantheman »

dac55 wrote:I've been trying to collect Valiant, Ultraverse, Defiant,Broadway, And now the guys have got me in to the Crossgen books, I'm like you dont have a lot of money to spend on them. But I have done a lot of trading with the guys here and bought a few. Most evey one here will give you a good deal on books your looking for. So if you are looking for some books, I wou;ld look at some of the for sell list.

David
Dac's right on, the guys here are all really cool about almost everything and are happy to hook you up with good deals on stuff. Welcome to the boards, just becareful, its addictive. :thumb:
www.myspace.com/lysband - Someday people will see me and say "Hey, aren't you that guy who sang that song?"

miracle.eli
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
yo!

Post by miracle.eli »

Just wanted to say hello to y'all in the DU forums. I've almost got my CrossGen Sigilverse collection completed (only have very few of the non-sigil/Code6 issues), and I have a few dupes that I'll post for trade soon.

Not that you need another opinion from a noob, but these CGU books are absolutely fanfreakingtastic! The coloring was literally revolutionary at the time, and the colorists (and inkers) all got their due at CrossGen. Most of the full-time pencillers have moved on to high-profile gigs at the big two as well.

Some don't enjoy the Sigil Storyline, but I find all their published work to be enjoyable - and most series remained strong until the final few issues which seem to wrap up too quickly.

Recently, at the suggestion of Ron Mars on his comicbloc.com forum I purchased the french 'album' collections of THE PATH. They are printed in 'widescreen' so that there is no interference with the full-page spreads - truly beautiful (just have to think back to high school french class when I'm reading :) ). I may go for the RUSE and El Cazador editions as well (Amazon.fr).

peace,

.Wil.

Knightt
Master of the Dead Universes

Post by Knightt »

Welcome to the boards Wil...

dac55
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by dac55 »

Welcome Wil. Stay awhile.

I wasent going to collect Crossgen. Then a friend of mine ( and he knows who it is K.) got me started on them I think there great. Dont have half of them But working at it. I realy like the Sigil. They are the only one that I have All of them.Great read.

David

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

dac55 wrote:Welcome Wil. Stay awhile.

I wasent going to collect Crossgen. Then a friend of mine ( and he knows who it is K.) got me started on them I think there great. Dont have half of them But working at it. I realy like the Sigil. They are the only one that I have All of them.Great read.

David
Who was that ?

C.

X-O HoboJoe
Bradley is not unsupervised anymore.
Bradley is not unsupervised anymore.
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Shadowman

Post by X-O HoboJoe »

Knightt wrote:

David
Who was that ?

C.
Someone who learned a really mean trick. :twisted:
I DO NOT EAT, DRINK OR ABSORB SOULS, DAMMIT!

dac55
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by dac55 »

Knightt wrote:

David
Who was that ?

C.
I think the fat Ba$tard needs to learn the different between a K and a C. :thumb:

Thanks Kris :thumb: :lol:

David

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

dac55 wrote:
Knightt wrote:

David
Who was that ?

C.
I think the fat Ba$tard needs to learn the different between a K and a C. :thumb:

Thanks Kris :thumb: :lol:

David
No problem Cavid :thumb:

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

It's nice to find a place that loves forgotten (I perfer that term as to dead
but that's just me) comic book universes.

After an emotionally painful move that sent me from a house to small apartment that forced me to sell about 2/3 of my comics (including all of my Ultraverse, Valiant, Crossgen, and Future comics) for less than $200, and what's left of my collection is now so mixed up and misplaced that I may never find all of them.

It's going to be a long time to see if I can see if I still have any of all my Broadway Comics, although thankfully I found my Definat comics and binders, and tins.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

dac55
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by dac55 »

Cyberstrike wrote:It's nice to find a place that loves forgotten (I perfer that term as to dead
but that's just me) comic book universes.

After an emotionally painful move that sent me from a house to small apartment that forced me to sell about 2/3 of my comics (including all of my Ultraverse, VALIANT, Crossgen, and Future comics) for less than $200, and what's left of my collection is now so mixed up and misplaced that I may never find all of them.

It's going to be a long time to see if I can see if I still have any of all my Broadway Comics, although thankfully I found my Definat comics and binders, and tins.
Sorry to here that you had to let so many great books go for so cheap. I have a few extras of some of them and if I can help let me know. There free just pay shipping.
And welcome. Stay awhile. Take your shoes off.

David

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

dac is a great guy and if there are books that I have dupes of, I am willing to work out the same kind of deal. We don't have any 'official' rules when it comes to this but I prefer if folks come here post a while, add to the community and don't be a pain in the butt :lol: We get some guys to come here and act up and that ends up being disappointing. But you will come to see that us folks here in the Dead Universe section (and numerous in the Valiant section) are pretty darn giving when it comes to these DU books... mostly cause we have gotten them for SO damn cheap and have boxes of dupes that just are not worth the time spent on Ebay to sell them.

I lost my ENTIRE comic collection back in 1999 and have now gotten 'most' of what I used to have.... and more. The place I went to and tried to get all these back was Ebay but I found an even better place and that was right here on vc.com This place probably has some of the best people on the planet that post here and we have an open door policy, so I say WELCOME, take a break from the war, have some coffee and an MRE.... then lets try to put together an OPORDER (operations order) and help you get some of that collection back... where it belongs.

Dead Universe... it is kind of like that club in the back of a seedy club except we dont have any secret knock or passwords. :lol: (oh and greg does not even charge me rent.... nice guy that greg) :thumb:

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

I have a question:
Do you consider one series (or a series of limited series and one-shots) like Dreadstar a dead universe or is it a company?
Now bear with and I'll try to explain: these characters for the most part existed in their own universe (the only time Dreadstar ever met any others outside his title was in Crossroads #5) and yet the character as yet to re-appear any new material.

The reason I'm asking this is so that there is no problems if I posted a
Dreadstar or Marshal Law thread?
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Well I 'kind of' look at it as 'dead companies' but it does not always apply. Ultraverse is one of these... Malibu started Ultraverse, then Marvel bought them out. There are no longer Ultraverse comics being produced under Ultraverse, Malibu OR Marvel... so the 'universe' might be dead but Marvel is still producing books. Or IS Ultraverse dead ? But I think you know what I mean.

I would not post a 'dead title' but a 'dead universe' is just fine.

dac55
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by dac55 »

Knightt wrote:dac is a great guy and if there are books that I have dupes of, I am willing to work out the same kind of deal. We don't have any 'official' rules when it comes to this but I prefer if folks come here post a while, add to the community and don't be a pain in the butt :lol: We get some guys to come here and act up and that ends up being disappointing. But you will come to see that us folks here in the Dead Universe section (and numerous in the VALIANT section) are pretty darn giving when it comes to these DU books... mostly cause we have gotten them for SO damn cheap and have boxes of dupes that just are not worth the time spent on Ebay to sell them.

I lost my ENTIRE comic collection back in 1999 and have now gotten 'most' of what I used to have.... and more. The place I went to and tried to get all these back was Ebay but I found an even better place and that was right here on vc.com This place probably has some of the best people on the planet that post here and we have an open door policy, so I say WELCOME, take a break from the war, have some coffee and an MRE.... then lets try to put together an OPORDER (operations order) and help you get some of that collection back... where it belongs.

Dead Universe... it is kind of like that club in the back of a seedy club except we dont have any secret knock or passwords. :lol: (oh and greg does not even charge me rent.... nice guy that greg) :thumb:
Verry well said Knightt. :thumb:
Maybe this should be at the verry top. :thumb:

(Knightt Said-)---------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I 'kind of' look at it as 'dead companies' but it does not always apply. Ultraverse is one of these... Malibu started Ultraverse, then Marvel bought them out. There are no longer Ultraverse comics being produced under Ultraverse, Malibu OR Marvel... so the 'universe' might be dead but Marvel is still producing books. Or IS Ultraverse dead ? But I think you know what I mean.

I would not post a 'dead title' but a 'dead universe' is just fine.

And I agree with you on this , but Dead Star is kind of weird. I think I know where hes comming from. I dont Collect all of the Dead Star stuff. But I do have a lot of the Epic books.

David

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

I have all the Dreadstar books from about 4 companies/imprints/lines (all
of which are no longer in business, and a lot of other Jim Starlin books.

dac55
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by dac55 »

Cyberstrike wrote:I have all the Dreadstar books from about 4 companies/imprints/lines (all
of which are no longer in business, and a lot of other Jim Starlin books.
I dont have them all. But I pick them up sometimes in lots. I kind of like Dread Star.

David

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

I have a Dreadstar checklist (I think it's complete) if you want it I'll pm it to you.

Rufusharley
donkey-shorts!..uhh i mean..danke schön!
donkey-shorts!..uhh i mean..danke schön!

Post by Rufusharley »

Man! I never visit this forum. It feels like a foreign land.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Well hang out for a while... some good $hit goes down here as well. :thumb:

Welcome to the boards. :D

SnotDrip
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: Magnus Robot Fighter #1

Post by SnotDrip »

Rufusharley wrote:Man! I never visit this forum.
ya know ... neither did I

until I recently found the Comico thread...It made me dig out my Primer, Next Man, Justice Machine, Elementals, Mage, Grendel ... did they ever produce some good stuff. Back in the days I was more into the Indie's then the mainstrean
I did pick up some Continuity and Malibu as well back when they first came out but
.... It feels like a foreign land.
I've never read the other DU - CrossGen, Ultraverse, Bravura, Broadway :oops: :oops: