ValiantFans.com Board - Since 2004

Message Board Top Level | Main Website | Price Guide | Book Release History | Newest Books |
It is currently Nov 18, 2018 10:30:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:40:46 am 
loosely based on a true story
loosely based on a true story
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:49:05 pm
Posts: 16616
Let's talk some New U! :headbang:


Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Google+
Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:44:21 am 
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:47:41 pm
Posts: 7318
Location: Here
Spitfire was cool -- until they chromed her

_________________
Everybody Is Right Until Someone Else Disagrees.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:52:24 am 
loosely based on a true story
loosely based on a true story
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:49:05 pm
Posts: 16616
BruceReville wrote:
Spitfire was cool -- until they chromed her


I really loved that book. That chromed thing was strange, you're right. Actually, I'd forgotten about that. I need to brush up on my New Universe stuff.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:00:43 am 
loosely based on a true story
loosely based on a true story
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:49:05 pm
Posts: 16616
Here's a good New Universe site.

http://home.hiwaay.net/~lkseitz/comics/newu/


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:15:22 am 
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:34:06 pm
Posts: 3838
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody
StarBrand wrote:
Here's a good New Universe site.

http://home.hiwaay.net/~lkseitz/comics/newu/


It was one of the places I'd picked up my New Universe info. Here's a pretty good checklist.

http://www.shooterswork.com/newu/checklist.htm

_________________
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com


If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:24:03 am 
loosely based on a true story
loosely based on a true story
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:49:05 pm
Posts: 16616
kevinbastos wrote:
StarBrand wrote:
Here's a good New Universe site.

http://home.hiwaay.net/~lkseitz/comics/newu/


Here's a pretty good checklist.

http://www.shooterswork.com/newu/checklist.htm


Yeah, this is a great checklist.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:30:48 am 
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:47:41 pm
Posts: 7318
Location: Here
I loved the New Universe and am currently rereading the whole series up to the War Mini-series. The original concept was that 1 month passes in time with each issue. (That was thrown out the window quick - Just check D.P. 7 1,2 & Psi-Force 1,2 - Big Forest and Stinky Body if there is a month inbetween)

Here is my breakdowns of each title:

Merc - Never does it tie-n with the rest of the New Universe and half of its issues take place BEFORE the White Event - still a cool read though

D.P.7 - Best of the NU Period

Nightmask - Cool concept and one of the titles that should not have been cancelled when the NU contracted.

Star Brand - flagship title that lost it sails after the Pitt - just got really weird afterwards and how can one be the father of himself and also be the man from the past to give himself the power of the Star brand?

Justice - Strong consistent read, but I had just wished they had kept his original origin rather than change it midstream

Spitfire - One of my favorites - after it was cancelled they f**ked the character over big time.

PSI-Force - X-Men of the New Universe and another consistently good read.

Kickers INC - quirky, yet fun.

The Pitt - decent one shot that marked a turning point in the NU

The Draft - Loved it better than the Pitt one shot - especially with the tie-in D.P.7 & Psi-Force issues

The War - Good concept and if the NU would have ended on this note it would have been perfect, but alas Marvel you f**ked that up as well.

Untold Tales:

Merc (Amazing Fantasy 18) - Eh

Spitfire (Amazing Fantasy 19) - made no sense as there was a paranormal present BEFORE the White Event

Kickers (New Avengers 16) - Avoid

Star Brand - Ken is a horny *SQUEE* :lol:

D.P.7 - ok story that does not fit in with the D.P.7 series much

Nightmask - It concludes the Gnome story, but not in a good way

Justice - Is it a bad thing when I really can't remember it at all?


I haven't even yet to come close to the appearances after the War mini - maybe eventually

_________________
Everybody Is Right Until Someone Else Disagrees.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:45:14 am 
loosely based on a true story
loosely based on a true story
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:49:05 pm
Posts: 16616
Good post, Bruce. The quality of DP 7 was certainly helped by keeping the same writer and penciller for the entire series. Gruenwald really cared about the New Universe. This was a great title.
I agree with you about Justice. Peter David changed it big time when he took over, and I didn't like what he did. On the plus side, he did find a way to,bring the character back in Spider-Man 2099, which I'm looking forward to reading soon.
John Byrne couldn't stand Shooter, and obviously intentionally messed with Star Brand in a vindictive sort of way. Many thought Star Brand was an autobiographical character Shooter had created. I absolutely hate what Byrne did to Star Brand. On the other hand, he did come up with the Pitt, which is one of the best storyline ever, IMO. I really loved Spitfire. Great book. I'd like to write a comic influenced by that title, and am messing around with some concepts. Psi-Force had some great moments. Steve Perry wrote the first couple issues, and he wrote for me at Surprising Comics, so my small publishing company does have a connection to the New Universe!
Loved Nightmask, too. Some outstanding stuff.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:54:14 am 
loosely based on a true story
loosely based on a true story
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:49:05 pm
Posts: 16616
Can anyone confirm that the Net Prophet appeared in Spider-Man 2099 Annual 1?


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:34:56 am 
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:47:41 pm
Posts: 7318
Location: Here
StarBrand wrote:
Can anyone confirm that the Net Prophet appeared in Spider-Man 2099 Annual 1?

He did - but the Net Prophet stuff is very sparse in Spider-Man 2099 really not even worth the effort to hunt them down -8 total issues the net Prophet appeared in including the Annual.

Spider-Man 2099 12-13-14, 25 (3rd Story), 41-42, 44, Annual 1 (2nd Story)

_________________
Everybody Is Right Until Someone Else Disagrees.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:08:11 pm 
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:34:06 pm
Posts: 3838
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody
SB suggested a podcast for this.

Thought it was a pretty good idea.

Trying to brainstorm ideas for the podcast.

Spitballing here -

1. Shooter's creation of the New Universe. Concept, execution, thoughts of "world outside your window" and its realistic approach

2. Podcast on each of the initial books.

3. BIG cancellation of issues/consolidation of remains (bimonthly, etc)

4. Removal of Shooter from New Universe - reasons. Here could be a lead-in to the Valiant Universe, too.

5. Reasons behind consistency. Many titles remained with same writers throughout.

6. Reasons for elimination within the universe - especially Merc here.

7. Failure of the New Universe, its reasons for cancellations/slow sales.

8. White event

9. Black Event/Pitt. How the change increased general acclaim. PLUS - why its critical success never could translate into sales on the books.

10. New U beyond its cancellation - Spider-Man 2099, Quasar, etc.

11. New U vs Marvel (and perhaps DC) at the time

12. New U vs Valiant

13. New U anniversary and renewed interest. Later pubs, etc. Perhaps into two shows division, perhaps only a quick snippet.

I am a NEW New U reader - but that might make for an interesting caster, as well.

_________________
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com


If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:17:24 pm 
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:54:50 am
Posts: 918
Location: Memphis adjacent
One thing I remember when the NU started, I was thrilled to be getting a new universe that I could follow from the ground up, without the 20-something years of back story that the current Marvel characters had. And while I enjoyed it, and stuck with it for about the first year, none of the books were as exciting as the current X-Men, Spider-man, etc. Granted, I'm sure I would appreciate them more now, but to a 12 year old, there wasn't a character as "cool" as Wolverine or Spider-man in the bunch. So that may have hurt sales.

_________________
This post has been carefully constructed so as to add absolutely nothing to any discussion or topic.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:28:35 pm 
loosely based on a true story
loosely based on a true story
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:49:05 pm
Posts: 16616
dbngaa wrote:
One thing I remember when the NU started, I was thrilled to be getting a new universe that I could follow from the ground up, without the 20-something years of back story that the current Marvel characters had. And while I enjoyed it, and stuck with it for about the first year, none of the books were as exciting as the current X-Men, Spider-man, etc. Granted, I'm sure I would appreciate them more now, but to a 12 year old, there wasn't a character as "cool" as Wolverine or Spider-man in the bunch. So that may have hurt sales.


Good point on what may have hurt sales. :|


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:29:34 pm 
loosely based on a true story
loosely based on a true story
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:49:05 pm
Posts: 16616
BruceReville wrote:
StarBrand wrote:
Can anyone confirm that the Net Prophet appeared in Spider-Man 2099 Annual 1?

He did - but the Net Prophet stuff is very sparse in Spider-Man 2099 really not even worth the effort to hunt them down -8 total issues the net Prophet appeared in including the Annual.

Spider-Man 2099 12-13-14, 25 (3rd Story), 41-42, 44, Annual 1 (2nd Story)


Too late. I already have them all coming, except the Annual and 44. I'm pretty excited about those issues, actually.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:31:34 pm 
loosely based on a true story
loosely based on a true story
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:49:05 pm
Posts: 16616
kevinbastos wrote:
SB suggested a podcast for this.

Thought it was a pretty good idea.

Trying to brainstorm ideas for the podcast.

Spitballing here -

1. Shooter's creation of the New Universe. Concept, execution, thoughts of "world outside your window" and its realistic approach

2. Podcast on each of the initial books.

3. BIG cancellation of issues/consolidation of remains (bimonthly, etc)

4. Removal of Shooter from New Universe - reasons. Here could be a lead-in to the Valiant Universe, too.

5. Reasons behind consistency. Many titles remained with same writers throughout.

6. Reasons for elimination within the universe - especially Merc here.

7. Failure of the New Universe, its reasons for cancellations/slow sales.

8. White event

9. Black Event/Pitt. How the change increased general acclaim. PLUS - why its critical success never could translate into sales on the books.

10. New U beyond its cancellation - Spider-Man 2099, Quasar, etc.

11. New U vs Marvel (and perhaps DC) at the time

12. New U vs Valiant

13. New U anniversary and renewed interest. Later pubs, etc. Perhaps into two shows division, perhaps only a quick snippet.

I am a NEW New U reader - but that might make for an interesting caster, as well.


Doc Solar initially threw the idea out. Lots of good ideas here, lots of stuff to work with. If we do it on Skype, maybe we could get one or two more members involved. :hm:


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:36:48 pm 
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:34:06 pm
Posts: 3838
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody
StarBrand wrote:
kevinbastos wrote:
SB suggested a podcast for this.

Thought it was a pretty good idea.

Trying to brainstorm ideas for the podcast.

Spitballing here -

1. Shooter's creation of the New Universe. Concept, execution, thoughts of "world outside your window" and its realistic approach

2. Podcast on each of the initial books.

3. BIG cancellation of issues/consolidation of remains (bimonthly, etc)

4. Removal of Shooter from New Universe - reasons. Here could be a lead-in to the Valiant Universe, too.

5. Reasons behind consistency. Many titles remained with same writers throughout.

6. Reasons for elimination within the universe - especially Merc here.

7. Failure of the New Universe, its reasons for cancellations/slow sales.

8. White event

9. Black Event/Pitt. How the change increased general acclaim. PLUS - why its critical success never could translate into sales on the books.

10. New U beyond its cancellation - Spider-Man 2099, Quasar, etc.

11. New U vs Marvel (and perhaps DC) at the time

12. New U vs Valiant

13. New U anniversary and renewed interest. Later pubs, etc. Perhaps into two shows division, perhaps only a quick snippet.

I am a NEW New U reader - but that might make for an interesting caster, as well.


Doc Solar initially threw the idea out. Lots of good ideas here, lots of stuff to work with. If we do it on Skype, maybe we could get one or two more members involved. :hm:


I am dorkily excited about this.

_________________
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com


If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:41:41 pm 
loosely based on a true story
loosely based on a true story
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:49:05 pm
Posts: 16616
kevinbastos wrote:
StarBrand wrote:
kevinbastos wrote:
SB suggested a podcast for this.

Thought it was a pretty good idea.

Trying to brainstorm ideas for the podcast.

Spitballing here -

1. Shooter's creation of the New Universe. Concept, execution, thoughts of "world outside your window" and its realistic approach

2. Podcast on each of the initial books.

3. BIG cancellation of issues/consolidation of remains (bimonthly, etc)

4. Removal of Shooter from New Universe - reasons. Here could be a lead-in to the Valiant Universe, too.

5. Reasons behind consistency. Many titles remained with same writers throughout.

6. Reasons for elimination within the universe - especially Merc here.

7. Failure of the New Universe, its reasons for cancellations/slow sales.

8. White event

9. Black Event/Pitt. How the change increased general acclaim. PLUS - why its critical success never could translate into sales on the books.

10. New U beyond its cancellation - Spider-Man 2099, Quasar, etc.

11. New U vs Marvel (and perhaps DC) at the time

12. New U vs Valiant

13. New U anniversary and renewed interest. Later pubs, etc. Perhaps into two shows division, perhaps only a quick snippet.

I am a NEW New U reader - but that might make for an interesting caster, as well.


Doc Solar initially threw the idea out. Lots of good ideas here, lots of stuff to work with. If we do it on Skype, maybe we could get one or two more members involved. :hm:


I am dorkily excited about this.


Me too. 8-)


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:49:48 pm 
loosely based on a true story
loosely based on a true story
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:49:05 pm
Posts: 16616
I added the Spider-Man 2099 Annual to my order, and last night picked up a FN copy of Spider-Man 2099 44 locally for 3 dollars. I now will have all appearances of the Net Prophet, aka John Tensen, Justice.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:10:24 pm 
loosely based on a true story
loosely based on a true story
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:49:05 pm
Posts: 16616
According to this, Spider-Man 559 had a New Universe parody. Does anyone know anything about this?

http://www.shooterswork.com/newu/others.htm


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:18:35 pm 
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:47:41 pm
Posts: 7318
Location: Here
StarBrand wrote:
According to this, Spider-Man 559 had a New Universe parody. Does anyone know anything about this?

http://www.shooterswork.com/newu/others.htm

tHERE IS ALSO A PARODY OF THE nEW uNIVERSE ORIGIN IN wHAT iF - IT WAS A COMEDY (damn cap locks) issue not sure the number

_________________
Everybody Is Right Until Someone Else Disagrees.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:39:35 pm 
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:09:11 am
Posts: 19908
Location: Texas
Favorite character: Kris
BruceReville wrote:
StarBrand wrote:
According to this, Spider-Man 559 had a New Universe parody. Does anyone know anything about this?

http://www.shooterswork.com/newu/others.htm

tHERE IS ALSO A PARODY OF THE nEW uNIVERSE ORIGIN IN wHAT iF - IT WAS A COMEDY (damn cap locks) issue not sure the number


34?


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:59:01 pm 
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:47:41 pm
Posts: 7318
Location: Here
Chiclo wrote:
BruceReville wrote:
StarBrand wrote:
According to this, Spider-Man 559 had a New Universe parody. Does anyone know anything about this?

http://www.shooterswork.com/newu/others.htm

tHERE IS ALSO A PARODY OF THE nEW uNIVERSE ORIGIN IN wHAT iF - IT WAS A COMEDY (damn cap locks) issue not sure the number


34?

I remember it being Galactus ate the Earth and basically pooped out the NU

_________________
Everybody Is Right Until Someone Else Disagrees.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:44:32 am 
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:49:54 am
Posts: 3257
Location: Florida, USA
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Another interesting offshoot of the NewU is a 6 book series of novels called Psi-Man by Peter David. Written in the early 90's, the timeline was set in the far off future of 2021. Anyway, the series itself is pretty good but I got an unexpected treat when I got to book 6 and the main character was looking for a place called Haven, a refuge for psionics from persecution. And who was leading this group but an older gentleman wearing purple and calling himself the Magistrate! Come to find out that he has a psionic sword in one hand shields in the other... :hm:

I loved the NewU and even liked the reboot in NewUniversal. I wish we could see a Valiant style reboot of that universe as well.

PS: If you go looking for the Psi-Man book series, you'll also find it listed with the author as David Peters in the older printings. He used a pen name originally.

_________________
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:30:41 am 
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:34:06 pm
Posts: 3838
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody
Phoenix8008 wrote:
Another interesting offshoot of the NewU is a 6 book series of novels called Psi-Man by Peter David. Written in the early 90's, the timeline was set in the far off future of 2021. Anyway, the series itself is pretty good but I got an unexpected treat when I got to book 6 and the main character was looking for a place called Haven, a refuge for psionics from persecution. And who was leading this group but an older gentleman wearing purple and calling himself the Magistrate! Come to find out that he has a psionic sword in one hand shields in the other... :hm:

I loved the NewU and even liked the reboot in NewUniversal. I wish we could see a Valiant style reboot of that universe as well.

PS: If you go looking for the Psi-Man book series, you'll also find it listed with the author as David Peters in the older printings. He used a pen name originally.


Please help me out, as I haven't read much yet. What is the connection?

_________________
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com


If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:16:13 am 
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:47:41 pm
Posts: 7318
Location: Here
kevinbastos wrote:
Phoenix8008 wrote:
Another interesting offshoot of the NewU is a 6 book series of novels called Psi-Man by Peter David. Written in the early 90's, the timeline was set in the far off future of 2021. Anyway, the series itself is pretty good but I got an unexpected treat when I got to book 6 and the main character was looking for a place called Haven, a refuge for psionics from persecution. And who was leading this group but an older gentleman wearing purple and calling himself the Magistrate! Come to find out that he has a psionic sword in one hand shields in the other... :hm:

I loved the NewU and even liked the reboot in NewUniversal. I wish we could see a Valiant style reboot of that universe as well.

PS: If you go looking for the Psi-Man book series, you'll also find it listed with the author as David Peters in the older printings. He used a pen name originally.


Please help me out, as I haven't read much yet. What is the connection?

None really other than a character that is similar to Justice in book 6

_________________
Everybody Is Right Until Someone Else Disagrees.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group