ValiantFans.com Board - Since 2004

Message Board Top Level | Main Website | Price Guide | Book Release History | Official Calendar |
It is currently Jan 17, 2019 7:05:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:38:56 pm 
Personal shoe-shopper for Atom!

Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: Solar
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: BWS
Well, I'm finally working on crossing off a complete read of the Defiant Universe from my bucket list! Lol. I read about a 1/3 of them upon their initial release and enjoyed them immensely. Over the years, I completed my collection but just hadn't gotten around to going back and doing a complete read until now. The recent and excellent interview Jmatt and Joe did with Jim Shooter inspired me to go back and read something Shooter. So far, I've read Warriors of Plasm 0-4, the GN "Home for the Holidays", and the Splatterball one-shot. I thought they were excellent! The story contained in these six issues would have taken years nowadays. So nice to get a break from decompressed story telling. I'll post more thoughts and comments as I continue. :thumb:

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Google+
  Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:26:25 pm 
Dr. OhioValiantNut
Dr. OhioValiantNut

Valiant fan since: 1995
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Shooter
Favorite artist: Perlin
Looking forward to your thoughts! Defiant has become a big interest of collecting for me.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:19:13 am 

One thing that has really struck a chord with me about the early issues of Warriors of Plasm is how much you get from each issue when you take more time than usual to absorb all that is going on in each panel (particularly during the battle scenes). For instance, if you look closely at Warriors of Plasm #4 page 14 panel 4, you'll see in the background a figure clothed in a red tunic and white boots plummeting to his death. It's Magnus Robot Fighter! The same panel also depicts a figure that looks to be Shadowman falling as well. Lol! Another easter egg is clearly visible on page 4 of the 4 page centerfold in this issue. Towards the bottom right is Daredevil perched on a tentacle calmly watching the battle unfold! A bit to the upper left of Daredevil is a guy in a business suit that appears to be leaping for safety only to fall short. Hard to say who this is suppose to be. I assume Bob Layton but that is pure speculation on my part. :P
Another cool tidbit can be found in the letters colomn of Warrriors of Plasm #2. A fan wrote to Jim Shooter praising his work on Secret Wars. This fan then goes on to say, "I am now 20 years old, a manager at Lost Dutchman Comics, and an aspiring artist ready to ship off to the Joe Kubert School in the fall. My life is now in the world of creating comics. Scary, but one thing makes me feel at ease: You, the very man whose imagination got me into this business.". The letter goes on to praise Jim Shooter for all the inspiration he has provided to this fan and concludes with, "Thank you and good luck! Rick Remender". How cool is that?! Rick Remender went on to have a great career in comics! He's done a ton of work for Marvel and currently writes "Black Science" and "Deadly Class" for Image. "Deadly Class" is one of my favorite monthlies. I think that's really neat.
Well, that's it from me for now. Time to dive into "Dark Dominion" 0-3. :thumb:

Last edited by buff-beardo on Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:03:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:14:10 pm 
Dr. OhioValiantNut
Dr. OhioValiantNut

buff-beardo wrote:
One thing that has really struck a chord with me about the early issues of Warriors of Plasm is how much you get from each issue when you take more time than usual to absorb all that is going on in each panel (particularly during the battle scenes). For instance, if you look closely at Warriors of Plasm #4 page 14 panel 4, you'll see in the background a figure clothed in a red tunic and white boots plummeting to his death. It's Magnus Robot Fighter! The same panel also depicts a figure that looks to be Shadowman falling as well. Lol! Another easter egg is clearly visible on page 4 of the 4 page centerfold in this issue. Towards the bottom right is Daredevil perched on a tentacle calmly watching the battle unfold! A bit to the upper left of Daredevil is a guy in a business suit that appears to be leaping for safety only to fall short. Hard to say who this suppose to be. I assume Bob Layton but that is pure speculation on my part. :P
Another cool tidbit can be found in the letters colomn of Warrriors of Plasm #2. A fan wrote to Jim Shooter praising his work on Secret Wars. This fan then goes on to say, "I am now 20 years old, a manager at Lost Dutchman Comics, and an aspiring artist ready to ship off to the Joe Kubert School in the fall. My life is now in the world of creating comics. Scary, but one thing makes me feel at ease: You, the very man whose imagination got me into this business.". The letter goes on to praise Jim Shooter for all the inspiration he has provided to this fan and concludes with, "Thank you and good luck! Rick Remender". How cool is that?! Rick Remender went on to have a great career in comics! He's done a ton of work for Marvel and currently writes "Black Science" and "Deadly Class" for Image. "Deadly Class" is one of my favorite monthlies. I think that's really neat.

Those are big easter eggs ... time to dig my copies out! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:33:49 pm 
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.

Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
It's unfortunate that Warriors of Plasm got lost in the shuffle of the lawsuit, the weird promotional stunts and the fustercluck that was the comics industry of the 90's because I think it's one of the most innovative, well written and well thought-out series of that time. Definitely one of Shooter's finest moments.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:32:22 am 
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them

Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Now I'm getting tempted to pull out my Dark Dominion comics for a re-read. Actually, I don't have them all - might have to do some shopping! :lol:

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:58:12 pm 
Dr. OhioValiantNut
Dr. OhioValiantNut

Mail Call!

I give you the pride of my Defiant Comics collection: The Birth of the Defiant Universe #1 (688 of 1000). :wink:

... well, I'm glad that monkey is off of my back. facepalm :D

Attachments:
defiant.2.jpg
defiant.2.jpg [ 222.37 KiB | Viewed 4375 times ]
  Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:25:03 pm 
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Don Perlin
I got one of those as well.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:08:13 pm 
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.

Favorite character: Kris
Do I have one? I cannot remember!

Congrats, those are pretty sweet.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:01:40 pm 

Congrats to OhioValiantNut and Cyberstrike on owning a copy of "The Birth of the Defiant Universe". :thumb: That is a very tough book to get these days unless one is willing to spend alot of cash or just get super lucky. That is the only Defiant comic I am missing. One of these days, I hope to stumble across one at a reasonable price. It is on my dead universe grail list along side "Miracle on Broadway", but I think I missed my window on both books around the turn of the millennium. I give myself a 0.01% chance of ever owning either of them at this point, but I embrace Lloyd Christmas's attitude when it comes to percentages. Lol!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:11:31 pm 
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.

Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Defiant really was great. Such cool ideas. I need to re-read those again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:52:17 pm 
loosely based on a true story

OhioValiantNut wrote:
buff-beardo wrote:
One thing that has really struck a chord with me about the early issues of Warriors of Plasm is how much you get from each issue when you take more time than usual to absorb all that is going on in each panel (particularly during the battle scenes). For instance, if you look closely at Warriors of Plasm #4 page 14 panel 4, you'll see in the background a figure clothed in a red tunic and white boots plummeting to his death. It's Magnus Robot Fighter! The same panel also depicts a figure that looks to be Shadowman falling as well. Lol! Another easter egg is clearly visible on page 4 of the 4 page centerfold in this issue. Towards the bottom right is Daredevil perched on a tentacle calmly watching the battle unfold! A bit to the upper left of Daredevil is a guy in a business suit that appears to be leaping for safety only to fall short. Hard to say who this suppose to be. I assume Bob Layton but that is pure speculation on my part. :P

Those are big easter eggs ... time to dig my copies out! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Nice!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:54:50 pm 

I've really enjoyed this thread. I hope we get a lot more posts in it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:13:16 pm 

I'm finally setting out to read all Defiants. I'll come up with a reading order this weekend. Meanwhile I'm going to read Warriors of Plasm The Collected Edition. It includes The Zero Issue, The Sedation Agenda, and Splatterball.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:22:45 pm 
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.

Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that
I liked WoP. For some reason I could not get into DD.

What I really liked was the Broadway universe. I remember liking EVERY book.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:37:32 pm 

I really liked Powers That Be/ Star Seed.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:39:04 am 

In Warriors of Plasm 5, page 7, there's a character called Prudence. I assume that's the character from
Prudence and Caution. If so, I wonder if that's the first appearance of that character...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:00:26 am 
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom

Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger
Elveen wrote:
I liked WoP. For some reason I could not get into DD.

What I really liked was the Broadway universe. I remember liking EVERY book.

+1

pretty much resemble this remark

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:35:51 am 
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

I miss Dark Dominion :( Reminds me a bit of the Constantine movie (never read the comics) starring Keanu Reeves, which I also thoroughly enjoyed :thumb:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:08:24 am 
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.

Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody
Getting around to finishing my read of Dark Key and Dynamite (sucks!) Gold Key (finally!) and then plan on catching up on Valiant now - and then back over to Defiant.

Finished collecting all (except Broadway) and plan on reading at some time.

Then will see about what's next. Anyone else reading this again?

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:13:13 pm 
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Valiant fan since: MRF #1
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Shadowman
If anyone is looking for the Defiant cards from that era, here is my master collection:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DARK-DOMINION-A ... SwB-1YuvF2

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:41:56 pm 
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom

Favorite character: Magnus Robot Fighter
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite artist: Jim Calafiore
buff-beardo wrote:
One thing that has really struck a chord with me about the early issues of Warriors of Plasm is how much you get from each issue when you take more time than usual to absorb all that is going on in each panel (particularly during the battle scenes). For instance, if you look closely at Warriors of Plasm #4 page 14 panel 4, you'll see in the background a figure clothed in a red tunic and white boots plummeting to his death. It's Magnus Robot Fighter! The same panel also depicts a figure that looks to be Shadowman falling as well. Lol! Another easter egg is clearly visible on page 4 of the 4 page centerfold in this issue. Towards the bottom right is Daredevil perched on a tentacle calmly watching the battle unfold! A bit to the upper left of Daredevil is a guy in a business suit that appears to be leaping for safety only to fall short. Hard to say who this is suppose to be. I assume Bob Layton but that is pure speculation on my part. :P

I just picked up Warriors of Plasm 1,4-6, 9 in the 50 cents bin. I also enjoyed reading that letter from Rick Remender.

I miss the days of letter columns and editorials. I've enjoyed reading about the fight between Defiant and Marvel.

Offline Profile