Wildstorm

Comic universes no longer active, Bravura, Continuity, CrossGen, Future, Malibu, Ultraverse... and others that are 'no longer with us' today (or only recently brought back).

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

dornwolf
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Wildstorm

Post by dornwolf »

Just a basic question for a lot of you. Is Wildstorm worth it? I missed out on a lot of stuff like Valiants early days and Milestone and I've started collecting what I can of Valiant and what trades for Milestone but Wildstorm I never considered. I have read Planetary which is awesome but was wondering if exploring the rest is well worth it.

ilzuccone
Valiant fan since: VEI
Re: Wildstorm

Post by ilzuccone »

I would say most definitely! Then again I started reading comics heavily in '92 and all I read was image and wildstorm. Heavy nostalgia.

Stormwatch (my x-men)
WildC.A.T.s
Deathblow
Cybernary
Wetworks
The Maxx
Zero Girl
Four women
Battle Chasers
Crimson
Steampunk

All so very very nostalgic... but i'm not sure how good they actually are :? :lol: you can find most of these books in the quarter bins :thumb:

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

ilzuccone wrote:I would say most definitely! Then again I started reading comics heavily in '92 and all I read was image and wildstorm. Heavy nostalgia.

Stormwatch (my x-men)
WildC.A.T.s
Deathblow
Cybernary
Wetworks
The Maxx
Zero Girl
Four women
Battle Chasers
Crimson
Steampunk

All so very very nostalgic... but i'm not sure how good they actually are :? :lol: you can find most of these books in the quarter bins :thumb:
Some of those titles were not part of WildStorm (The Maxx was early Image) others were part of other imprints (ABC, Cliffhanger, Homage)

Full list here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wildstorm_titles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Definitely worth checking out from the shared WildStorm Universe:

WildCats (some of the later stuff is really good...I especially liked WildCats 3.0)
Stormwatch (Again, later stuff is pretty good like Stormwatch PHD)
The Authority
Planetary
Gen 13
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

ilzuccone

Post by ilzuccone »

BugsySig wrote:
ilzuccone wrote:I would say most definitely! Then again I started reading comics heavily in '92 and all I read was image and wildstorm. Heavy nostalgia.

Stormwatch (my x-men)
WildC.A.T.s
Deathblow
Cybernary
Wetworks
The Maxx
Zero Girl
Four women
Battle Chasers
Crimson
Steampunk

Some of those titles were not part of WildStorm (The Maxx was early Image) others were part of other imprints (ABC, Cliffhanger, Homage)

Full list here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wildstorm_titles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WildCats (some of the later stuff is really good...I especially liked WildCats 3.0)
The Authority
Planetary
Gen 13
perfect example of wikipedia being unreliable.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WildStorm
here you find all the titles i included under wildstorm. i would consider imprints of wildstorm still wildstorm.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

ilzuccone wrote:
BugsySig wrote:

Stormwatch (my x-men)
WildC.A.T.s
Deathblow
Cybernary
Wetworks
The Maxx
Zero Girl
Four women
Battle Chasers
Crimson
Steampunk

The Authority
Planetary
Gen 13
here you find all the titles i included under wildstorm. i would consider imprints of wildstorm still wildstorm.
True on both accounts. Since it was under Dead Universes, I was thinking of just the primary shared WilldStorm U.

ilzuccone

Post by ilzuccone »

BugsySig wrote:
ilzuccone wrote:
BugsySig wrote:

Stormwatch (my x-men)
WildC.A.T.s
Deathblow
Cybernary
Wetworks
The Maxx
Zero Girl
Four women
Battle Chasers
Crimson
Steampunk

The Authority
Planetary
Gen 13
True on both accounts. Since it was under Dead Universes, I was thinking of just the primary shared WilldStorm U.
you were right also! :high-five: i got excited about the maxx and the other imprint titles and threw them in.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

ilzuccone wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
ilzuccone wrote:
BugsySig wrote:

Stormwatch (my x-men)
WildC.A.T.s
Deathblow
Cybernary
Wetworks
The Maxx
Zero Girl
Four women
Battle Chasers
Crimson
Steampunk

The Authority
Planetary
Gen 13
you were right also! :high-five: i got excited about the maxx and the other imprint titles and threw them in.
On a side note, Battle Chasers (Cliffhanger imprint) was awesome. One of the last series I was collecting before going off to college and abandoning most of my collecting habits.

ilzuccone

Post by ilzuccone »

BugsySig wrote:
ilzuccone wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
ilzuccone wrote:
BugsySig wrote:

Stormwatch (my x-men)
WildC.A.T.s
Deathblow
Cybernary
Wetworks
The Maxx
Zero Girl
Four women
Battle Chasers
Crimson
Steampunk

The Authority
Planetary
Gen 13
On a side note, Battle Chasers (Cliffhanger imprint) was awesome. One of the last series I was collecting before going off to college and abandoning most of my collecting habits.
if only it came out on time/finished :lol: for sure it was the best comic coming out at that time.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

ilzuccone wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
ilzuccone wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
ilzuccone wrote:
BugsySig wrote: Some of those titles were not part of WildStorm (The Maxx was early Image) others were part of other imprints (ABC, Cliffhanger, Homage)

The Authority
Planetary
Gen 13
if only it came out on time/finished :lol: for sure it was the best comic coming out at that time.
Considering the other two titles I was still collecting around then were Kaboom! and Ash, that was about standard :D

ilzuccone

Post by ilzuccone »

BugsySig wrote:
ilzuccone wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
ilzuccone wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
ilzuccone wrote: perfect example of wikipedia being unreliable.
Considering the other two titles I was still collecting around then were Kaboom! and Ash, that was about standard :D
HA! yeah it was a good year.

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

ilzuccone wrote:
BugsySig wrote:

Stormwatch (my x-men)
WildC.A.T.s
Deathblow
Cybernary
Wetworks
The Maxx
Zero Girl
Four women
Battle Chasers
Crimson
Steampunk

The Authority
Planetary
Gen 13
This was kinda what I was wanting. Probably should've specified a bit more I guess. If I remember right some feel it kinda of shot off the rails at the end, so is it worth looking at the really early stuff and middle years or maybe look at everything.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

Wild C.A.T.s Alan Moore's run on vol. 1 is the best this series had to offer. The original C.A.T.s go home only to find the war with the Daemites are over and that their homeworld is not quite as nice as they remembered. Voodoo discovers that she has some Daemite DNA in her and that the surviving Daemites are living in ghettos. While Lord Emp and Zealot become political enemies. IMHO Voodoo/Zealot's duel is one of the most memorable fights right next to Miracleman #15 not because of the hyper-violence, but because Moore's great characterization of both of them. Meanwhile back on Earth Mr. Majestic and Savant form a new Wild C.A.T. team to battle a gang war one created by a member of the new team.

Stormwatch vol. 1 #37-50 Ellis turned this series on it's head and made a great thriller with superheroes.

Stormwatch vol. 2 Preview, #1-11, and Wild C.A.T.s/Aliens #1 A decent sequel but even Ellis admitted that it's not as good and lacked a real direction. Still some good artwork.

Deathblow vol. 1 #0-12 This not the best written series but it is fun in a stupid action movie plot kind of way and Jim Lee and Tim Sale's artwork is great.

Out those I read (I stopped reading Wildstorm shortly before the sale to DC after that I didn't care) Those are the best. The rest are OK, but forgettable.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

Did anyone read Divine Right? And what of Authority

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

dornwolf wrote:Did anyone read Divine Right? And what of Authority
Divine Right is weird some of it's Jim Lee is a better artist than he's writer.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

dave the second
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: The Olden Daze
Favorite character: Grampa Rai
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: BWS
Favorite artist: Paul Creddick

Post by dave the second »

Have these been collected? I'd really like a tpb of the Maxx and Alan Moore's run on Wild Cats.

jeremycoe
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)

Post by jeremycoe »

dave the second wrote:Have these been collected? I'd really like a tpb of the Maxx and Alan Moore's run on Wild Cats.
IDW is re-publishing Maxx and has 3 HC collections out so far.
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

dave the second wrote:Have these been collected? I'd really like a tpb of the Maxx and Alan Moore's run on Wild Cats.
Wildstorm (before DC bought them out) collected Moore's run in at least 2 (there MIGHT be a third one I don't remember) TPB and IIRC 2 of them were called Homecoming and Gang War. I honestly don't know if they're still in print or not and/or if DC will reprint under the DC logo or not due to them being aftermath a crossover that Wildstorm did and a continuation of a series in mid stream IIRC Homecoming starts at Wild C.A.T.s vol. 1 #25 (or #26 I can't remember which).
DC seems to only publish the Wildstorm stuff with big names (like Alan Moore, Jim Lee, Warren Ellis, Bryan Hitch, and Mark Millar) or the most well known and/or controversial material. The early stuff like say, Stormwatch vol. 1 #0-25 for example, they don't seem to be in a big hurry to reprint it. I mean, hell they just published a new Deathblow TPB finally collecting #0-12 (previous editions didn't have #0) and that has art by Jim Lee and Tim Sale. The same Jim Lee who is the co-publisher of DC and Tim Sale who has done most of his well known work for DC.

IDW is reprinting The Maxx.

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

Cyberstrike wrote:
Wildstorm (before DC bought them out) collected Moore's run in at least 2 (there MIGHT be a third one I don't remember) TPB and IIRC 2 of them were called Homecoming and Gang War. I honestly don't know if they're still in print or not and/or if DC will reprint under the DC logo or not due to them being aftermath a crossover that Wildstorm did and a continuation of a series in mid stream IIRC Homecoming starts at Wild C.A.T.s vol. 1 #25 (or #26 I can't remember which).
DC seems to only publish the Wildstorm stuff with big names (like Alan Moore, Jim Lee, Warren Ellis, Bryan Hitch, and Mark Millar) or the most well known and/or controversial material. The early stuff like say, Stormwatch vol. 1 #0-25 for example, they don't seem to be in a big hurry to reprint it. I mean, hell they just published a new Deathblow TPB finally collecting #0-12 (previous editions didn't have #0) and that has art by Jim Lee and Tim Sale. The same Jim Lee who is the co-publisher of DC and Tim Sale who has done most of his well known work for DC.

IDW is reprinting The Maxx.
They also just published a complete Divine Right collection of the entire series. DC I think just doesn't give a crap about Wildstorm. They bought it to get Jim Lee. Even the attempts to fold it all into DC was token at best. This of course excludes Jim Lees desire to relaunch Wildcats and Divine Right in the nu-52. Which he's gone silent on.

NinJZA
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Valiant fan since: Magnus RF vs. Predator
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Divinity
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt

Post by NinJZA »

dornwolf wrote:Did anyone read Divine Right? And what of Authority
The Authority is still my favorite superteam in comics. The DC version makes me feel the same way Islamic extremists feel when someone draws a Muhammad cartoon. Read Warren Ellis' 1-12 run, and also all of Planetary. Great comics that I still pick up for multiple readings. Personally, what I liked best about it were the wild and slightly undefined powers of the whole team, aside from the two characters who are obvious pastiches, every other character is pretty far from being an analog of any members of the JLA or the Avengers.

Also, it seems like no one has mentioned Tom Strong or any of the America's Best Comics from Alan Moore. Loved these titles as well, if you were into Watchmen at all or have any tolerance for craziness akin to Grant Morrison, Tom Strong, Top 10, and probably Promethea would all be fun reads.
Last edited by NinJZA on Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:39:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

dornwolf wrote:Just a basic question for a lot of you. Is Wildstorm worth it? I missed out on a lot of stuff like Valiants early days and Milestone and I've started collecting what I can of Valiant and what trades for Milestone but Wildstorm I never considered. I have read Planetary which is awesome but was wondering if exploring the rest is well worth it.

Some of it's good and a lot of it is pretty forgettable and some of it's pretty terrible.

Here is some OK stuff it's not awful but I wouldn't consider any of them classics either:
Wildstorm Rising It's a crossover that features some artwork by Barry Windsor-Smith pretty much the only thing I can remember about it.

Brass vol. 1 #1-3 A homeless man gets infected by a virus that turns into an anime-inspired mecha creature. Richard Bennett's art is superb to bad he couldn't make deadlines and was only doing covers and plotting duties on vol. 2.

Gen-13 vol. 1 #1-5 The only thing this series has going for it is J. Scott Campbell's artwork or more importantly his talent for drawing pretty women. Everything else in this New Mutants rip-off is pretty forgettable.

And here is some WS stuff to avoid:

DV8 vol. 1 #1-8 Jim Lee wanted a series about bunch of screwed up kids who were violent, abusive, drug addicts, sexual perverts and extremely unlikable characters well Warren Ellis and Herberto Ramos delivered and the results are book of characters so morally bankrupt that even Wizard Magazine who generally sucked up to the Image creators to a sickening degree, even they couldn't recommend this book.

Deathmate Black I think this series as a whole is so bad that the creators who worked on it, except maybe for Rob Liefeld, are ashamed by it.

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by possumgrease »

dornwolf wrote:Just a basic question for a lot of you. Is Wildstorm worth it? I missed out on a lot of stuff like Valiants early days and Milestone and I've started collecting what I can of Valiant and what trades for Milestone but Wildstorm I never considered. I have read Planetary which is awesome but was wondering if exploring the rest is well worth it.
I think I've got a big stack of reader-copy grade Wildstorm comics from towards the end of the universe. It's mostly complete runs, but I can't recall exactly because I haven't looked at those in several years. If you're interested, I'll send them to you free of charge. Just send me a PM and I will look for them this weekend.