Virgin Comics - Anybody read them?

Comic universes no longer active, Bravura, Continuity, CrossGen, Future, Malibu, Ultraverse... and others that are 'no longer with us' today (or only recently brought back).

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

The Dirt Gang
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: VH1 Unity #1
Favorite writer: Shooter/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS
Virgin Comics - Anybody read them?

Post by The Dirt Gang »

I recently heard something about the now dead Virgin Comics. They seemed to have some interesting people involved and the concepts for the Indian line sounded really interesting. Has anyone read any of these? I was wondering if they were any good.
Multum In Parvo

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that
Re: Virgin Comics - Anybody read them?

Post by Elveen »

I'd bet C-lo has read them.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Elveen wrote:I'd bet C-lo has read them.
A few.

Virgin comics did a lot of India-oriented comics. At the time, had I ordered from Previews magazine or ordered comics online, it is very likely that I would have bought several of these Indian comics. The most successful property of the line was Devi, a female hero whose self-titled book ran for 20 issues and crossed over with Witchblade. While Virgin was publishing, I only added one of their books to my pull list - Jenna Jameson's Shadow Hunter. It was better than the name would suggest and the Christina Z art was beautiful. The book cancelled after the third issue (which was mostly prose anyway) and that was around when Virgin folded anyway.

We have a Virgin checklist in the Dead Universes Checklists section, link here:

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=25138" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

I would like to add a few notes -

Not including variants, that is a very manageable checklist to finish. I don't watch Virgin comics closely but I am not aware of any single issue being particularly valuable. As far as I know, these are all dollar books.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

I read a few issues of Snake Woman & thought it was pretty good. Lost track of it though, not sure when it got cancelled.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Phantom
I will call my mum and ask what the *SQUEE* is going on.
I will call my mum and ask what the *SQUEE* is going on.
Location: I would rather be under the stars in a tent, or on a park bench.

Post by Phantom »

Was big in the uk, due to 'dan dare'.
Sure their where hardcovers collected of this.

Looking at it differently, tapping India for comic book artists is a great idea.
Art costs on a book must surely be expensive part of the cost.
Due to currency exchange, and cost of living in India - it would save art cost and give them a great wage.
Yes I have thought about this at length. keeping popular artists would be hard, easy for them once in the industry to get other work.
Does llc still print - off to find out.
I wish their was a Spinal Tap comic, and I had a copy CGC graded at 11.

The Dirt Gang

Post by The Dirt Gang »

Thanks guys! The Indian line sounds pretty fascinating. I read somewhere that Terry Gilliam was supposed to do a book for them. Too bad it never came to fruition. His more recent films have not been great but I love his older stuff -- Brazil, Time Bandits, etc. Jenna Jameson and prose - who knew!?! :?
Multum In Parvo

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

The Dirt Gang wrote:Jenna Jameson and prose - who knew!?! :?
The prose was pretty cheesy. Some of it was probably written by Jenna Jameson herself.

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

I would say I picked up around 90-95% of what they put out as it came out. I think the only stuff I missed was maybe Dock Walloper and one of the historical series.

There was some really good stuff, but i think the lack of a shared world feel probably did hurt them. Also, the production values felt very good (trade dress; paper quality etc), and I wonder if costs were quite high. Finally, it did feel that underneath it all it was about trying to create vehicles into other media.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

leonmallett wrote:I would say I picked up around 90-95% of what they put out as it came out. I think the only stuff I missed was maybe Dock Walloper and one of the historical series.

There was some really good stuff, but i think the lack of a shared world feel probably did hurt them. Also, the production values felt very good (trade dress; paper quality etc), and I wonder if costs were quite high. Finally, it did feel that underneath it all it was about trying to create vehicles into other media.
Good insights.
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

The Dirt Gang

Post by The Dirt Gang »

leonmallett wrote:I would say I picked up around 90-95% of what they put out as it came out. I think the only stuff I missed was maybe Dock Walloper and one of the historical series.

Which of their titles did you like the most or do you recommend?
Multum In Parvo

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

The Dirt Gang wrote:

Which of their titles did you like the most or do you recommend?
Virulents was a great one-shot for my money.

Snakewoman was probably the strongest ongoing, and the best title from Virgin IMHO. Both Virulents and Snakewoman have a horror vibe to them.

The first 7 Brothers arc was ace - I could easily see that as an OTT action-thriller movie.

Sadhu was okay, but felt patchy. Ramayan held my attention buy could also be patchy. I quite enjoyed Devi.

My recollections are that the art could be quite varied. They never felt like they had a house style, and i guess some of the storytelling issues that were present in the weaker books were possibly due to lack of experience.

rasputin9977
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by rasputin9977 »

They are still alive but are called lightning comics or something like that. They are mainly online comics though do publish floppies now and then. Matter of fact, Stan Lee had a FCBD in 2013 that was called Chakra and published by lightning.

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

rasputin9977 wrote:They are still alive but are called lightning comics or something like that. They are mainly online comics though do publish floppies now and then. Matter of fact, Stan Lee had a FCBD in 2013 that was called Chakra and published by lightning.
Liquid Comics. I *think* Lightning is/was a now-defunct 90's publisher. :thumb:

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

leonmallett wrote:
rasputin9977 wrote:They are still alive but are called lightning comics or something like that. They are mainly online comics though do publish floppies now and then. Matter of fact, Stan Lee had a FCBD in 2013 that was called Chakra and published by lightning.
Liquid Comics. I *think* Lightning is/was a now-defunct 90's publisher. :thumb:
Yep. Lightning featured such winners as Perg and Hellina. Lots of t&a. I put together a checklist but ultimately decided not to pursue such smut.

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=30729" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rasputin9977

Post by rasputin9977 »

Yes, thank you. Liquid Comics, not Lightning Comics. Also that Chakra FCBD comic was published by Graphic India, not Liquid Comics (They also released a Ramayan FCBD this year as well). Going to their website, I see that they also have Devi, Sadhu and Ramayan. Liquid Comics also has a website with the same properties so I'm not sure if they are both the same company or just have a business partnership.

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

rasputin9977 wrote:Yes, thank you. Liquid Comics, not Lightning Comics. Also that Chakra FCBD comic was published by Graphic India, not Liquid Comics (They also released a Ramayan FCBD this year as well). Going to their website, I see that they also have Devi, Sadhu and Ramayan. Liquid Comics also has a website with the same properties so I'm not sure if they are both the same company or just have a business partnership.
the Liquid site is a pretty poor place IMHO. I wish the characters not tied to the big name directors etc had found a good home to be published as ongoing concerns, but alas it was not to be.

Makes you wonder how different things could have been if Guy Ritchie's Gamekeeper had been made into a movie. :?