Silver Wolf Comics

Comic universes no longer active, Bravura, Continuity, CrossGen, Future, Malibu, Ultraverse... and others that are 'no longer with us' today (or only recently brought back).

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Burrito Boy
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Favorite character: Gunny Lewis
Favorite title: Armorines
Favorite writer: Jorge Gonzalez
Silver Wolf Comics

Post by Burrito Boy »

My local bookstore has a copy of Grips #1 by Silver Wolf Comics. A quick search of the net tells me that Silver Wolf comics were terrible but I'm still intrigued. After all, this was a small publisher from the 80s and that kind of cheese is usually right up my alley. So I was wondering if any of you have ever read Grips, or any Silver Wolf comic, and what you thought of it.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris
Re: Silver Wolf Comics

Post by Chiclo »

I remember there was a Silver Wolf comic right after the run of Silver Surfer in the backissue boxes at my LCS.

Silver Wolf Comics Presents? Something like that.

Brother J
Just trying to be self-deprecating
Just trying to be self-deprecating

Post by Brother J »

There is a Silverwolf checklist in the checklist section. Just checked as I wasn't sure.

Not having read any of these (except for skimming through issues of Grips), I can't say much about the content. They do appear to have had a wide range of subject matter, though. Grips is like an ultra-violent Wolverine, the series is best known because of the Tim Vigil art. Fat Ninja looks like it would be fun, as does the Dungeoneers.

Burrito Boy

Post by Burrito Boy »

Thanks guys. I did some more digging and found a bit more information. One thing I found was a thread about Silver Wolf in general. Apparently there are a few people who collect this stuff. Some of them even posted pictures from a few of the portfolios Silver Wolf put out and the art wasn't bad. Which is more than I can say about the few pages shown in the video review of another Silver Wolf comic called Stech. Still, it was cheesy in a way that I enjoyed. (My eyes must be masochists.) I also discovered that Kristoffer A. Silver, the guy behind it all, has a website where he continues to sell his comics. I'm intrigued but not enough to pay some of the prices he's asking. So I'll probably wait until I find this stuff in a quarter bin somewhere.

rasputin9977
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by rasputin9977 »

I have some that I've picked up from the quarter bins. Looks cheesy but I'll eventually be getting the entire universe too. Buying them from quarter bins will take a long time to buy though. Mile High Comics sometimes have sales of 50-60% off and, if you don't mind a Good or Fine condition, you can pick them up at $0.50 an issue. Also, mycomicshop.com sell most of the individual issues for $0.80.

If you go with the latter, click on the link on my signature so I can get some store credit :)

Burrito Boy

Post by Burrito Boy »

rasputin9977 wrote:I have some that I've picked up from the quarter bins. Looks cheesy but I'll eventually be getting the entire universe too. Buying them from quarter bins will take a long time to buy though. Mile High Comics sometimes have sales of 50-60% off and, if you don't mind a Good or Fine condition, you can pick them up at $0.50 an issue. Also, mycomicshop.com sell most of the individual issues for $0.80.

If you go with the latter, click on the link on my signature so I can get some store credit :)
Cool. Thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind. Especially since condition doesn't matter much to me. Most of my Valiants are from grab bags and quarter bins so they're pretty shabby. And I have several comics with torn or missing covers. For me it's all about the story. :)

Speaking of looking cheesy, I'll post the video review of Stech #1 when I can so everyone else can see just how cheesy.

orbitalshift
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by orbitalshift »

I really enjoyed Grips back in the day. Tim Vigil's art was great.

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

Burrito Boy wrote:My local bookstore has a copy of Grips #1 by Silver Wolf Comics. A quick search of the net tells me that Silver Wolf comics were terrible but I'm still intrigued. After all, this was a small publisher from the 80s and that kind of cheese is usually right up my alley.
I love the black and white 80s stuff! Did Silver Wolf publish in black and white?
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

orbitalshift

Post by orbitalshift »

StarBrand wrote:
Burrito Boy wrote:My local bookstore has a copy of Grips #1 by Silver Wolf Comics. A quick search of the net tells me that Silver Wolf comics were terrible but I'm still intrigued. After all, this was a small publisher from the 80s and that kind of cheese is usually right up my alley.
I love the black and white 80s stuff! Did Silver Wolf publish in black and white?

Yep

Burrito Boy

Post by Burrito Boy »

orbitalshift wrote:
StarBrand wrote:

Yep
Yeah, what he said. I was going to post some links like I mentioned but now my only internet access is on a phone and I haven't quite figured it out. But if you go to YouTube and search for Stech #1, you'll find a review of that comic that shows several examples of the art.

rasputin9977

Post by rasputin9977 »

I was looking at my Silver Wolf back issues and I noticed that I mistook them for Greater Mercury Comics. But, it looks like Greater Mercury Comics kept on printing a few series that Silver Wolf printed. Did Silver Wolf morphed into Greater Mercury or were they two separate publishers?

Burrito Boy

Post by Burrito Boy »

rasputin9977 wrote:I was looking at my Silver Wolf back issues and I noticed that I mistook them for Greater Mercury Comics. But, it looks like Greater Mercury Comics kept on printing a few series that Silver Wolf printed. Did Silver Wolf morphed into Greater Mercury or were they two separate publishers?
The front page of http://www.kristoffersilver.com/SilverW ... omics.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; says that Sillver Wolf was bought by a company that changed the name to Greater Mercury. The History section of http://www.keithpaquette.com/silverwolfcomics/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has an editorial written by Kristoffer Silver himself that explains the connection between Silver Wolf Comics and Greater Mercury Comics.

rasputin9977

Post by rasputin9977 »

Burrito Boy wrote:
rasputin9977 wrote:I was looking at my Silver Wolf back issues and I noticed that I mistook them for Greater Mercury Comics. But, it looks like Greater Mercury Comics kept on printing a few series that Silver Wolf printed. Did Silver Wolf morphed into Greater Mercury or were they two separate publishers?
The front page of http://www.kristoffersilver.com/SilverW ... omics.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; says that Sillver Wolf was bought by a company that changed the name to Greater Mercury. The History section of http://www.keithpaquette.com/silverwolfcomics/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has an editorial written by Kristoffer Silver himself that explains the connection between Silver Wolf Comics and Greater Mercury Comics.
Interesting. Might have to hunt down issues from both then.

Moby
2 posts down, 2 million to go

Post by Moby »

I have been blogging about Silverwolf lately on my site, http://www.mobys.ws. I have tracked down some original art and done some interviews with artist who worked there and such.

The interesting thing about Silverwolf is that it they existed at all; the company as a whole was a byproduct of the glut of B&W comics, the late '80s boom if you will, and to me they are the perfect example of what the heck happened and how crazy everyone got at that time. I am still looking for as much about the company, and it's successor Greater Mercury, as I can find.

Burrito Boy

Post by Burrito Boy »

Moby wrote:I have been blogging about Silverwolf lately on my site, http://www.mobys.ws. I have tracked down some original art and done some interviews with artist who worked there and such.

The interesting thing about Silverwolf is that it they existed at all; the company as a whole was a byproduct of the glut of B&W comics, the late '80s boom if you will, and to me they are the perfect example of what the heck happened and how crazy everyone got at that time. I am still looking for as much about the company, and it's successor Greater Mercury, as I can find.
Cool. I love stories about the creation of comics--usually more than the comics themselves--and you have a lot of interesting stuff in those blog posts. Can't wait to see more. :thumb:

Funny thing is that I find myself wanting to collect Silver Wolf comics now even though I've never read a single issue. I don't think that's ever happened to me before.

Moby

Post by Moby »

Burrito Boy wrote:
Moby wrote:I have been blogging about Silverwolf lately on my site, http://www.mobys.ws. I have tracked down some original art and done some interviews with artist who worked there and such.

Cool. I love stories about the creation of comics--usually more than the comics themselves--and you have a lot of interesting stuff in those blog posts. Can't wait to see more. :thumb:

Funny thing is that I find myself wanting to collect Silver Wolf comics now even though I've never read a single issue. I don't think that's ever happened to me before.
Thanks! Glad you liked the blog. The good news, if you decide to collect them, is that there are only so many issues out. You can fit into a long box the entire runs of both Silverwolf and Greater Mercury, and because they printed during the glut/boom and bust of the '80s there are plenty of copies out there of most issues and collecting the entire run over time is very affordable (most issues can be had for $1 or less), but also enough rarities to keep it interesting. With it's interesting back-story (which I am trying to learn and share), and the fact that it was a true launch pad for several artists (Tim Vigil, Phil Hester, Ron Lim to name a few), I definitely think it's an interesting company if your into comic publishing history.

mrwoogieman
All this talk of 'snipping' is making me keep my legs crossed.
All this talk of 'snipping' is making me keep my legs crossed.

Post by mrwoogieman »

I found about two dozen minty issues at a garage sale a couple years back, Grips and others. If it was worth it they'd be off to CGC they're so nice!

The Tim Vigil artwork looks great, but some of the other artwork/titles are....not so nice. Kind of how most DUs are, I guess.
:hm: