Marvel's New Universe discussion

Comic universes no longer active, Bravura, Continuity, CrossGen, Future, Malibu, Ultraverse... and others that are 'no longer with us' today (or only recently brought back).

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

kevinbastos
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody
Re: Marvel's New Universe discussion

Post by kevinbastos »

lorddunlow wrote: Doing it chronological. I've read all the first issues except Kickers so far.
Feel free to follow along with the podcast and/or website.

Kickers reads like a GI Joe episode. Except adding raised fists and terrible dialogue.
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

kevinbastos wrote:
lorddunlow wrote: Doing it chronological. I've read all the first issues except Kickers so far.
Feel free to follow along with the podcast and/or website.

Kickers reads like a GI Joe episode. Except adding raised fists and terrible dialogue.
I plan on it!
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Avengers #9 was pretty good. Interesting direction it's taking.

Sorry grendeljd, but Avengers and New Avengers are officially linked. The Solar array that Nightmask and StarBrand are locked in is the Dyson sphere that is Tony Stark's contingency plan to destroy encroaching Earths in New Avengers. The panels are almost identical.

Burrito Boy
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Favorite character: Gunny Lewis
Favorite title: Armorines
Favorite writer: Jorge Gonzalez

Post by Burrito Boy »

"And today, it's safer with you not in it."

Did that line set off anybody else's bad grammar detector?

Or should that be poor grammar? Destitute grammar? :?

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Burrito Boy wrote:"And today, it's safer with you not in it."

Clumsy and plainspoken, certainly. Bad grammar? It doesn't strike me as mechanically incorrect.

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

Chiclo wrote:

Clumsy and plainspoken, certainly. Bad grammar? It doesn't strike me as mechanically incorrect.
If it was bad grammar, it might be realistic writing.
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

Burrito Boy
Favorite character: Gunny Lewis
Favorite title: Armorines
Favorite writer: Jorge Gonzalez

Post by Burrito Boy »

StarBrand wrote:
Chiclo wrote:

If it was bad grammar, it might be realistic writing.
:lol:

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

lorddunlow wrote:Avengers #9 was pretty good. Interesting direction it's taking.

Sorry grendeljd, but Avengers and New Avengers are officially linked. The Solar array that Nightmask and StarBrand are locked in is the Dyson sphere that is Tony Stark's contingency plan to destroy encroaching Earths in New Avengers. The panels are almost identical.
Dang it! Well, I still refuse to get New Avengers for now [stubborn Canuckle-head that I am]...

I enjoyed Avengers #9, really cool concepts with what Ex Nihilo did to the Earth ['Join?'] - but I can't help but wonder where it's going from here. It felt like a temporary abrupt conclusion to the NU storyline, like they'll move on to something else next month and maybe get back to it later. Anyone else get that vibe?

And I also feel like the aggressive attitude of the team towards the Starbrand was still odd. Why so violent when the kid clearly needs help at this stage?? Maybe it will flow with the theme Hickman seems to be angling at, that a great 'golden age' of the Avengers as true heroes is about to pass - like a big fall from grace is coming.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

grendeljd wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:Avengers #9 was pretty good. Interesting direction it's taking.

Dang it! Well, I still refuse to get New Avengers for now [stubborn Canuckle-head that I am]...
You should check it out. I really like it. Maybe a little more that Avengers.
grendeljd wrote:I enjoyed Avengers #9, really cool concepts with what Ex Nihilo did to the Earth ['Join?'] - but I can't help but wonder where it's going from here. It felt like a temporary abrupt conclusion to the NU storyline, like they'll move on to something else next month and maybe get back to it later. Anyone else get that vibe?

And I also feel like the aggressive attitude of the team towards the Starbrand was still odd. Why so violent when the kid clearly needs help at this stage?? Maybe it will flow with the theme Hickman seems to be angling at, that a great 'golden age' of the Avengers as true heroes is about to pass - like a big fall from grace is coming.
I was wondering this, too.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Avengers #16 has further New Universe appearances. Nothing new, but Nightmask and Starbrand are getting ready to free themselves.

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

lorddunlow wrote:Avengers #16 has further New Universe appearances. Nothing new, but Nightmask and Starbrand are getting ready to free themselves.
I'm still hoping there will be other NU characters showing up in the book at some point, and I'm also still wondering about that rumour concerning a DP7 book!
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

grendeljd wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:Avengers #16 has further New Universe appearances. Nothing new, but Nightmask and Starbrand are getting ready to free themselves.
I'm still hoping there will be other NU characters showing up in the book at some point, and I'm also still wondering about that rumour concerning a DP7 book!
I got the feeling they are gearing up to introduce a lot of NU characters

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

lorddunlow wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
Well now, I like the sound of that :thumb:

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

grendeljd wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
I hadn't head the rumor about a DP 7 book!!! Man, I wish Mark Gruenwald was still around.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

grendeljd wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
Marvel has its hooks in me now. I read Age of Ultron and with the Hickman Avengers and New Avengers plots lining up, and Age of Ultron ending the way it did (and possibly tying into New Avengers) I think the New Universe may be actually returning to Marvel's continuity. I'm actually excited for Infinity.

Am I still allowed on here if I'm becoming a Marvel fan?

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Well, Nightmask and StarBrand have been let out of their cage in Avengers #17. It's about to get interesting!

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

lorddunlow wrote:Well, Nightmask and StarBrand have been let out of their cage in Avengers #17. It's about to get interesting!
Dangit! Now I gots ta get it! Two issues of Avengers per month at $3.99 is killing me!

Looking forward to reading it though :D

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Phoenix8008 »

grendeljd wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:Well, Nightmask and StarBrand have been let out of their cage in Avengers #17. It's about to get interesting!
Dangit! Now I gots ta get it! Two issues of Avengers per month at $3.99 is killing me!

Looking forward to reading it though :D
I know what you mean. With Quantum and Woody out and Eternal Warrior and Unity coming down the pipe, I gave up on Avengers and New Avengers for now. Just can't afford the extra $12 a month for something non-Valiant. If it ends up being massively New Universe related later, I'll kick myself and have to collect any trades or issues needed to get all of the story. If Marvel actually restarts a seperate New Universe, or even old NewU titles/characters within the mainstream Marvel universe, I'm gonna be in trouble without a 2nd job to pay for all of it...

:!:
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

omega_override
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2014

Post by omega_override »

Came across this and was curious about what you guys thought of it
http://www.avclub.com/article/how-marve ... cad-105639" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The one line that makes me think the author's full of it is "Trying to shoehorn an entire line of overlapping comics into a rigid continuity just isn’t possible—not if you want to allow the creators of those comics free rein in which to create"

Valiant did it, Ultraverse did it and they were both hugely successful. You know, before they got bought out by Acclaim and Marvel due to financial issues......

But hey, at least one of them is still alive and kicking :wink:

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

I don't think much of it. It's written by someone who never liked the New Universe, and decided to write an article ripping it. :thumb:

omega_override
Valiant fan since: 2014

Post by omega_override »

StarBrand wrote:It's written by someone who never liked the New Universe, and decided to write an article ripping it. :thumb:
Well, that's not entirely true. He said that when it came out, he was really enticed by it's promises of a more realistic portrayal of superheroes (which I'm assuming by 1986 standards was still fairly novel at the time), but then he began to be bored by it and gave up on it, only to re-read it decades later and see how much it plagiarized other more successful Marvel books

I'll be honest, I haven't read the New Universe and the critiques on it are for the most part conflicting or very mixed in opinion :?

Though they do cite Star Brand as the only worthwhile entry in the line

I do however have the entirely of the line sitting comfortably on my hard drive along with other "failed" Marvel lines such as Frontier, UK, and 2099 and I'll eventually judge it for myself

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

I was thinking of how the author said he picked up all the first issues from this line and nothing about the line excited him. He said even then he understodd how stale this line was.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

omega_override wrote:
StarBrand wrote:It's written by someone who never liked the New Universe, and decided to write an article ripping it. :thumb:
Well, that's not entirely true. He said that when it came out, he was really enticed by it's promises of a more realistic portrayal of superheroes (which I'm assuming by 1986 standards was still fairly novel at the time), but then he began to be bored by it and gave up on it, only to re-read it decades later and see how much it plagiarized other more successful Marvel books

I'll be honest, I haven't read the New Universe and the critiques on it are for the most part conflicting or very mixed in opinion :?

Though they do cite Star Brand as the only worthwhile entry in the line

I do however have the entirely of the line sitting comfortably on my hard drive along with other "failed" Marvel lines such as Frontier, UK, and 2099 and I'll eventually judge it for myself
New Universe did have some a lot of problems right of the gate. The big one was that many of the creators didn't know what Jim Shooter wanted the New Universe to be or how to make it work.

The next one was the constant switching of creators around. Storylines dropped like Nightmask's origin story was supposed to conclude in #5 but at the last minute the creative team was taken off, fired, quit, or left, and a new creative team came in and decided not to finish the story (some rumors said that the origin was going to be finished in an annual but that never came to pass, it wasn't until Marvel did The Untold Tales of New Universe one-shots 20-25 years later that the story was finished). Or killing of Marc Hazard in the annual and have the final issue #12, without a lead character.

Also throw in the constant change in direction for several titles most notably: Spitfire and The Troubleshooters/Spitfire/Codename: Spitfire as book that only lasted 15 issues and had 3 title changes says a lot more than I can ever say. PSI-Force suffered greatly because of changing creative teams and directions in #25 they killed off most or all of the original cast and #26-#32 didn't make any sense (I think a lot of the problems for PSI-Force was that always felt like the idiot step-child of always good DP7)

IMHO John Byrne totally destroyed and ruined Star Brand (the book, not the poster) and turned it into a bad Green Lantern knock off with an insane time travel paradox that basically revealed that Ken Connelly, The Old Man, and the Star Baby, (who was Ken's own son), were all the same being. Since I'm not wanting to get into the quasi-incest angle here I think it was Byrne's very childish way to call Shooter a miserable old mother f***er. IMHO in the last couple of issues it seemed he wanted to do as little physically with actually writing and drawing the book.

Justice started out as a super-powered version of the Punisher which is OK but IMHO really gets good when Peter David took over the series and DP7 is damn good all the way through.

Nightmask, Spitfire, Marc Hazzard: Merc and PSI-Force, all had their moments but needed more time for the creative teams to figure them out. I'm not sure if anyone could have made Kickers, Inc. work.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Probably the biggest problem the New Universe had was Marvel pulled most of the funding it had promised Shooter shortly before work on it began. Most of the artists were at a different level I their careers than they would have been if Marvel hadn't done that.

Ramses818
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: X-O Manowar 14
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-o but maybe soon to be Rai
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Ramses818 »

Another new thread I've discovered. Do I really need to get an following this one too? LOL. I know a lot of people have a lot of contempt for star brand. But let me tell you as a kid growing up in reading those comics at a library it really blew my mind. I thought the whole paradox time travel thing was brilliant, but again please let's remember I was nothing but a littleboy. LOL. So I still have a lot of attachment to those old universe characters. I have not been as thrilled with the new versions of them but I'm still willing to give them a chance. I remember how excited I was when star brand popped up in Quasar, that is of course until I actually read it. facepalm . I will guys thanks for giving me another avenue to waste my day! :high-five: