Marvel's New Universe discussion

Comic universes no longer active, Bravura, Continuity, CrossGen, Future, Malibu, Ultraverse... and others that are 'no longer with us' today (or only recently brought back).

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
Re: Marvel's New Universe discussion

Post by StarBrand »

Ramses818 wrote:I know a lot of people have a lot of contempt for star brand.
Hey now! Ease up, bro. Ease up!
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

StarBrand wrote:
He only speaks the truth...
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

lorddunlow wrote:
StarBrand wrote:

Ramses818
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: X-O Manowar 14
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-o but maybe soon to be Rai
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Ramses818 »

StarBrand wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
StarBrand wrote:
:lol:

Like I said I love star brand myself! :thumb:

String
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by String »

My, my, how memory fades over time.....

I knew that I had a scattering of NU books from back in the day but after checking through my Collection of Stuff, I'm surprised by how little I actually had. I have:

Spitfire #1-4
Kickers Inc. #1-2
Star Brand #3, #10, #19
Psi-Force #1

I could have sworn I had more than that. :lol:

So, trying to catch up, I recently acquired DP 7 Vol.1 TPB and I'm about halfway through reading it. So far, it's been rather good. Gruenwald does a very good job in retaining the NU notion of 'the world outside your window' with the group's focus on everyday concerns (such as food, money, family, etc) alongside coping with their new abilities. It's a rather fresh approach from the traditional superhero view (such as the FF gaining their powers, immediately suiting up, and starting to save the world).

Although Scuzz seems to be the only one in favor of being a 'real' superhero.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

DP 7 is definitely good. Gruenwald always said he missed the New Universe once it was gone.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

DP7 is the best because it had a good writer and good art team on it through out it's entire run.
Justice works once Peter David becomes the writer. I know some people don't like his take on it, but I like it. It's better than a super-powered Punisher which gets boring really fast.
Star Brand might have worked if Bryne hadn't turned it into a poor man's Green Lantern knock off and his personal "FU" to Jim Shooter.
PSI-Force should have ended at #25.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Gargoyles co-creator and "Archer" artist is bringing back "Starbrand and Nightmask" for Marvel:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/artic ... -nightmask" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Ras the future fan
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Bloodshot

Post by Ras the future fan »

After the Marvel announcement I did some research on these characters and was surprised that they were co-created by Jim Shooter. Some of these characters also seem to have inspired Valiant characters like Nightmask/Shadowman and PSI-Force/ Harbinger.
Don't be afraid of the Darque!

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by Phoenix8008 »

BugsySig wrote:Gargoyles co-creator and "Archer" artist is bringing back "Starbrand and Nightmask" for Marvel:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/artic ... -nightmask" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dangit, dangit, dangit! I've been 'Done' with Marvel other than finishing up the Secret Wars mini-series just to round out the end of Hickman's Avengers epoch. That was supposed to be the end of Marvel for me. :mad: Then they go and do this and make me wanna support the New Universe again. :!: Wait. There... it... is. Problem solved. :twisted: I'm not buying/collecting Marvel if I get this title. I'm just buying/collecting more New Universe stuff! Done. :thumb: :clap: :cloud9:

We're all fine here now, no problems, thanks. How are you? :kidaround:
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

I recently stumbled across the two issues of Nightmask I've been missing for years, & a stash of about 8-10 issues of PSI-Force between #2-14 that I didn't have (Previously I only had maybe 3-4 issues of that title altogether since the last time I posted in this thread about it).

Been fun to finally read for the first time 30 years after it came out - great art in the early issues by Texiera!

I'm getting pretty close to having every other issue of all the other NU books now too (except Kickers Inc. :lol: ) - still need those last two issues of Justice, some Merc, about 1/2 of the PSI-Force run, and the War event book.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Ras the future fan wrote:After the Marvel announcement I did some research on these characters and was surprised that they were co-created by Jim Shooter. Some of these characters also seem to have inspired Valiant characters like Nightmask/Shadowman and PSI-Force/ Harbinger.
Love that cover - I think I mentioned it years back in this thread, but I always wished that Sandy Plunkett had drawn more NU material. Spitfire #13 remains a top favourite of mine because of his art.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Just thought I'd post this here, a drawing I had done on my first long box bought in 1988;

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brother J
Just trying to be self-deprecating

Post by Brother J »

grendeljd wrote:Just thought I'd post this here, a drawing I had done on my first long box bought in 1988;

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very nice, looks like your longbox got wet at some point, though.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Brother J wrote:
grendeljd wrote:Just thought I'd post this here, a drawing I had done on my first long box bought in 1988;
Very nice, looks like your longbox got wet at some point, though.
Thanks! Not bad for a punk kid with some pencil crayons & a good drawing to copy from anyway :P

And yeah, it did get soaked - that box has travelled to 4 different cities with me & more than a few apartments along the way. I think it got caught in a water pipe leak in there somewhere - but no comics were harmed, they've always been bagged at the very least! :D

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

I discovered the existence of two New Universe characters on Spanish stickers. To me, it's a very exciting discovery, as there really isn't a lot of New Universe stuff out there other than the comics.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Brother J

Post by Brother J »

nice discovery! :thumb:

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Thanks. I was doing one of my numerous ''star brand'' searches. Lol

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

StarBrand wrote:Thanks. I was doing one of my numerous ''star brand'' searches. Lol
That is seriously cool! Any context for what the stickers were for? It looks like each image is made up of two separate stickers - reminds me of those panini sticker books I had as a kid, where you buy a booklet that has a number of blank spaces, all to be filled from buying separate packs of stickers. I still have my old Transformers one, and might also have my Silverhawks one somewhere.

Amazing to think there could be a New Universe one out there...

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Guys... We're now at the 30th anniversary of the launch of the New U. I'm sure not too many people really care about that but I know a few of you do!

And while I also doubt there will be much fanfare to mark the occasion, someone did write an article about it on cbr.com;

http://www.cbr.com/11-reasons-marvels-n ... se-failed/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Phoenix8008

Post by Phoenix8008 »

grendeljd wrote:Guys... We're now at the 30th anniversary of the launch of the New U. I'm sure not too many people really care about that but I know a few of you do!

And while I also doubt there will be much fanfare to mark the occasion, someone did write an article about it on cbr.com;

http://www.cbr.com/11-reasons-marvels-n ... se-failed/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Decent article. I still love the New U for what it tried to do. Maybe if it had been funded better like it was supposed to have been, the quality would have been much improved.

I just recently went through and made a list of the few New U issues that I do have, with the intention of starting to complete my collection of them again. Gonna at least raid the quarter bins at the LCS to take what they have.
Viva la Valiant!

Phoenix8008

Post by Phoenix8008 »

grendeljd wrote:Guys... We're now at the 30th anniversary of the launch of the New U. I'm sure not too many people really care about that but I know a few of you do!

Decent article. I still love the New U for what it tried to do. Maybe if it had been funded better like it was supposed to have been, the quality would have been much improved.

I just recently went through and made a list of the few New U issues that I do have, with the intention of starting to complete my collection of them again. Gonna at least raid the quarter bins at the LCS to take what they have.
Viva la Valiant!

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Phoenix8008 wrote:

Yeah, it wasn't a bad article considering most people who do write about it mostly poke fun at the line.

I was very surprised to hear that Strikeforce Morituri was intended to be part of that line at one point - I've never heard that mentioned before. Strikeforce Morituri is still one of my all time favourite series to this day - I don't think it would have been a good fit in the New U at all though.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

What do you think are the most important NEW UNIVERSE comics? Here’s my picks for the top four:

1. Psi-Force #1. First appearance of characters that influenced Valiant’s Harbinger.
2. Star Brand #1. Star Brand plays the biggest role of any NEW UNIVERSE character in the Marvel Universe, and this is his first appearance.
3. The Pitt one-shot. An underrated and monumental comic book event.
4. DP 7 #1. Again, the first appearance of characters that influenced Harbinger, although perhaps not to the extent Psi-Force did. Also, this title was probably the most consistent of all titles from this line for the longest period of time.