Marvel's New Universe discussion

Comic universes no longer active, Bravura, Continuity, CrossGen, Future, Malibu, Ultraverse... and others that are 'no longer with us' today (or only recently brought back).

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

kevinbastos
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody
Re: Marvel's New Universe discussion

Post by kevinbastos »

Awesome. I think that a thread with 'interim' universe appearances might be a good idea, as well.

Let's see...
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

*SPOILER*

I had a peek at Avengers #6 today in the shop... it is revealed that the new black character they were calling Adam IS Nightmask!!! The White Event happened at the end of the issue!!! Tony Stark was working on translating and thought he was called 'blackveil', a cool twist on the name...

Gah!! I am really in a bind, here... I was doing good with refusing to buy any more Marvel books for the last several months... but this tie-in to the New Universe is looking to be pretty cool. I still didn't buy AV. #6 today... I cannot decide whether to get these as a trade collection or not. My OCD self is shouting to buy the individuals, but yet I can't stand paying $3.99 for 20page Marvel books. :!:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kevinbastos

Post by kevinbastos »

I am in.

Crazy and committed in.

Here we go, again.

Dangit, Marvel. Just when I thought I was out...
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In addition, I'm right.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

Haven't had a chance to read it yet, but I guess my Jonathan Hickman obsession has led to what will become a New Universe obsession. I got some back issues to read. More comics to read is definitely a good problem to have. I was super excited when I came across Hickman's run of Fantastic Four, and I'm still working on that. I just hope this doesn't bleed over into to too many books, as I'm pretty much saturated as far as my reading pace goes.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

lorddunlow wrote:Haven't had a chance to read it yet, but I guess my Jonathan Hickman obsession has led to what will become a New Universe obsession. I got some back issues to read. More comics to read is definitely a good problem to have. I was super excited when I came across Hickman's run of Fantastic Four, and I'm still working on that. I just hope this doesn't bleed over into to too many books, as I'm pretty much saturated as far as my reading pace goes.
I think you'll be okay... only three original NU titles went to 32 issues, one had 19, four others had either 12 or 13 issues. Toss is a couple of annuals & a couple of graphic novel oneshots and you're done - plus, they are barely worth a red cent, so IF you can find them all... it won't cost ya much :wink: :P
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

kevinbastos wrote:I am in.

Crazy and committed in.

Here we go, again.

:lol:

I hear you, man! I am still struggling with fighting the urge to go buy up Avengers 1-6, like right now! :lol:

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

grendeljd wrote:

Crazy and committed in.

Here we go, again.

I hear you, man! I am still struggling with fighting the urge to go buy up Avengers 1-6, like right now! :lol:
You should. They're really quite good.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

lorddunlow wrote:
grendeljd wrote:

Crazy and committed in.

Here we go, again.

Yeeaaah... they look good. The other part of my problem is that I have simply never been a fan of the Avengers in all my years of comic reading... I might have 1 or two random issues... its hard when I feel forced to buy into something I wouldn't normally want to try, just to get into something I actually really like. :?

Dangit. :lol:

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

grendeljd wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
grendeljd wrote:

Crazy and committed in.

Here we go, again.

Yeeaaah... they look good. The other part of my problem is that I have simply never been a fan of the Avengers in all my years of comic reading... I might have 1 or two random issues... its hard when I feel forced to buy into something I wouldn't normally want to try, just to get into something I actually really like. :?

Dangit. :lol:
I'm not a Marvel fan at all (I was a big Spidey fan). Other than the recent movie and the arcade game from the 80s, I have no experience whatsoever with the Avengers. Hickman is what pulled me in. The Manhattan Projects is BY FAR my favorite comic book. LightningStrike on here turned me onto Hickman's Fantastic Four run, and I was a little skeptical (as I am REALLY not a fan of the Fantastic Four), but it's become one of my favorite reads (and I'm only about 10-15 books in).

I'm pretty clueless about a lot of the backstory and relationships that are going on in the Avengers (and New Avengers), but I'm loving them. The writing is just that good, in my opinion. My fear is that I will eventually have to buy other books to just figure out the story in these 2 books, as that seems to be Marvel's MO. Hopefully it isn't. But I'll pretty much follow Hickman anywhere at this point.

kevinbastos

Post by kevinbastos »

My LCS said that Hickman sees the big picture.

I asked him to explain, and he said - It's not Avengers vs Grey Gargoyle or whatever. It's the big stuff.
And a Website!

In addition, I'm right.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

kevinbastos wrote:My LCS said that Hickman sees the big picture.

I asked him to explain, and he said - It's not Avengers vs Grey Gargoyle or whatever. It's the big stuff.
I agree, totally. I'm really stoked for East of West next month.

kevinbastos

Post by kevinbastos »

Now that I found a buried copy of 2 today, I can start reading.
And a Website!

In addition, I'm right.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

I have acquired all of the New Universe titles. Any recommendations on where to start / how to read? Is chronological best?

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

lorddunlow wrote:I have acquired all of the New Universe titles. Any recommendations on where to start / how to read? Is chronological best?
IIRC, Spitfire & Starbrand came out first, and the other six titles were all one issue behind up until 1) Starbrand went bi-monthly starting at #9(?) and 2) the 4 titles got the axe at #12/13.

Personally I've never read all the Psi-Force, Kickers, Inc. or Merc issues, but still enjoyed the rest just fine (I'm sorry that you even had to buy Kickers, dude). Merc never crossed into any other title, it's kinda stand-alone.

In the first twelve issues of the 8 books, there are a few minor crossovers but nothing too significant...

The key event that most of your reading would benefit from a chronological read-through is The Pitt, which starts off in Starbrand #12, followed by The Pitt one-shot, and then ties into the other three surviving titles - all of which have a little 'Pitt tie-in' logo on them.

But even still, they tend to be standalone stories of how each main character (or group) is affected by it, without too much overlap.

As for a place to start? Starbrand is kind of the unofficial flagship title of the line, having the most powerful character in the New U, as a sort of template Dr Solar figure...

kevinbastos

Post by kevinbastos »

Check out my site. I am first ime reading them with my baby girl.

The podcast pages should indicate a good order.
And a Website!

In addition, I'm right.

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Phoenix8008 »

lorddunlow wrote:I have acquired all of the New Universe titles. Any recommendations on where to start / how to read? Is chronological best?
Jeez! That escalated quickly. :o

Congrats, dude. I don't even have all of the NewU yet. Although the urge to get them hasn't been very strong. I picked up some here and there back when there was a comic store anywhere nearby. Now the only place anywhere near is a hobby shop that is opened for a few hours one day a week and charges a flat $1 for all back issues. Soooooo not worth it to buy New Universe stuff at that price.
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Phoenix8008 wrote:

Congrats, dude. I don't even have all of the NewU yet. Although the urge to get them hasn't been very strong. I picked up some here and there back when there was a comic store anywhere nearby. Now the only place anywhere near is a hobby shop that is opened for a few hours one day a week and charges a flat $1 for all back issues. Soooooo not worth it to buy New Universe stuff at that price.
I'm a crazy completist when it comes to back story and tie-ins. I'm the guy who can't enjoy the Lord of the Rings without reading the Silmarillion and the appendices of every book. Seeing that New Universe was tying in the books I'm reading, I feel compelled to know what has come before.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

lorddunlow wrote:
Phoenix8008 wrote:

I'm a crazy completist when it comes to back story and tie-ins. I'm the guy who can't enjoy the Lord of the Rings without reading the Silmarillion and the appendices of every book. Seeing that New Universe was tying in the books I'm reading, I feel compelled to know what has come before.
I didn't even comment on that - jeez, dude - that WAS fast! I also don't even have them all, and I was a collector back when they were new on the rack!! The main one I'm missing that I do want to get all of is PSI-Force. I only have the final issue :lol: [Thanks to Kevin :thumb: ] Merc too - I have three of those.

But once again, let me just apologize in advance [of reading them] for your having bought Kickers. Really - I'm just... sooo... sorry.

Phoenix8008

Post by Phoenix8008 »

lorddunlow wrote:
Phoenix8008 wrote:

I feel your pain. I'd love to have all the New U stuff again. Sadly, I'm barely able to afford getting the current new Valiant stuff. It's on my list for 'someday'. Sorry you suffered through Silmarillion also. Been there, slogged through that. Wish I had those days back.
Viva la Valiant!

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Hey, so I've had some ideas tumbling around in my head for a while with regards to drawing stuff from the 'old' New Universe... and with the recent news of its return my inspiration is at an all time high!

Ever since I discovered the incredible website of Project Rooftop, [and entered in the Shadowman character contest], I've been looking for other comic book characters that I wanted to do a redesign of, to submit there. I've had some ideas to redo some of the New U characters, and finally got a chance to do one this weekend.

I've started off with John Tensen, aka Justice. This is just the first design version, as I have two concepts in mind to reflect the change in his origin part way through the series [which I love]. So here we have an initial pencil sketch of John as he appears in reality - 'The Justice Killer'. I won't get into my ideas of his background just yet - I'll wait to share that until after I draw the second version of him; 'Tensen, The Justice Warrior' [That is if anyone here wants to hear my ideas!]

Anyways, have a look [and keep in mind, this is a bit rough in spots];

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

So far I'm really enjoying the New Universe stuff I'm reading.

Phoenix8008

Post by Phoenix8008 »

lorddunlow wrote:So far I'm really enjoying the New Universe stuff I'm reading.
The original stuff from the 80's? If so, good to hear.

I always liked DP7, Psi-Force, and Starbrand the best. Justice was okay and the Pitt / The War events were awesome. Never read any of Merc or Kickers Inc. and only had passing interest in Spitfire or Nightmask.
Viva la Valiant!

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Phoenix8008 wrote:

I always liked DP7, Psi-Force, and Starbrand the best. Justice was okay and the Pitt / The War events were awesome. Never read any of Merc or Kickers Inc. and only had passing interest in Spitfire or Nightmask.
Yeah, the original stuff. I really enjoyed the first issue of Justice.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

lorddunlow wrote:
Phoenix8008 wrote:

What did you end up starting off reading with?

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

grendeljd wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
Phoenix8008 wrote:

What did you end up starting off reading with?
Doing it chronological. I've read all the first issues except Kickers so far.