Marvel's New Universe discussion

Comic universes no longer active, Bravura, Continuity, CrossGen, Future, Malibu, Ultraverse... and others that are 'no longer with us' today (or only recently brought back).

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

rasputin9977
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Re: Marvel's New Universe discussion

Post by rasputin9977 »

Phoenix8008 wrote:Well, looks like it's official. Cover of Avengers # 9 shows Hulk, Thor, and someone else attacking what appears to be Ken Connell/Starbrand! So they are weaving NewU into the current Marvel 616 it seems.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/ ... s/?a=72909" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sweet. Always hated that this universe was left behind.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Phoenix8008 wrote:Well, looks like it's official. Cover of Avengers # 9 shows Hulk, Thor, and someone else attacking what appears to be Ken Connell/Starbrand! So they are weaving NewU into the current Marvel 616 it seems.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/ ... s/?a=72909" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ugh. Keep the New U separate from 616! Still, pretty cool to see it come back... I'm very curious what they'll do with it this time. :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Phoenix8008 »

grendeljd wrote:

Ugh. Keep the New U separate from 616! Still, pretty cool to see it come back... I'm very curious what they'll do with it this time. :thumb:
That is my problem and where my curiosity lies as well. I'd prefer it to be a seperate universe. But if this is the only way to reintroduce the characters, then so be it. I won't start collecting Avengers or anything, but I may buy this issue or others including NewU characters to show support. I would only start collecting if they had their own NewU universe and their own titles. That's about the only way Marvel is getting any of my money.

If anybody could cross over from a seperate NewU universe to the regular Marvel 616, it should be Starbrand. I just wonder if they are using the original universe version, the NewUniversal version, or something else new?

I wonder when this issue is supposed to come out. I see Avengers #3 dropping in January, does that mean July for issue#9? Or are they double shipping this title so that there will be 2 per month?
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

I can hardly believe this is happening! :clap:
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

StarBrand wrote:I can hardly believe this is happening! :clap:
+1

Any way you slice it, I think it's cool to get some new New U...

I'm going to have trouble finding out what's coming out though, I just don't even look at Marvel solicits anymore. If it were straight up NU titles being relaunched I'll see it on the shelf, but i won't know about scattered appearances (like this Avengers 9) in regular Marvel U titles ahead of time.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Hopefully all the new appearances of the New U get posted here.

Phoenix8008

Post by Phoenix8008 »

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/01/23/ ... ranslated/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Check out this translation from Avengers #3!
THE WHITE EVENT

THE BUILDERS HAVE ABANDONED THE MACHINES

THE MACHINE IS BROKEN

THE UNIVERSE IS BROKEN

ITS COMING

A WHITE EVENT
Viva la Valiant!

Burrito Boy
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Favorite character: Gunny Lewis
Favorite title: Armorines
Favorite writer: Jorge Gonzalez

Post by Burrito Boy »

StarBrand beat me to posting the link to Nuke Me With the New! and I almost posted the link to Valiant New Universe before seeing it in kevinbastos' signature and realizing that it's his site. facepalm

Here's one that hasn't been posted yet:

http://www.technohol.com/new-u/index.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This site has write ups of Marvel characters, including those from the New Universe, for the old Marvel Super Heroes roleplaying game as well as the somewhat more recent Marvel Saga RPG. Also included are Transformers and G.I. Joe characters.

kevinbastos
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody

Post by kevinbastos »

I didn't see this link posted yet.

http://comics.cosmicbooknews.com/conten ... nd-hickman" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
More New U info. And check out the cover!

Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

I hope this goes better than the Crossgen reboot or the Milestone and Wildstorm integrations into the mainstream DCU.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Burrito Boy wrote:StarBrand beat me to posting the link to Nuke Me With the New! and I almost posted the link to Valiant New Universe before seeing it in kevinbastos' signature and realizing that it's his site. facepalm

Here's one that hasn't been posted yet:

http://www.technohol.com/new-u/index.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This site has write ups of Marvel characters, including those from the New Universe, for the old Marvel Super Heroes roleplaying game as well as the somewhat more recent Marvel Saga RPG. Also included are Transformers and G.I. Joe characters.
Man, I haven't been to this site in awhile!

Phoenix8008

Post by Phoenix8008 »

Phoenix8008 wrote:http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/01/23/ ... ranslated/

THE WHITE EVENT

THE MACHINE IS BROKEN

THE UNIVERSE IS BROKEN

ITS COMING

A WHITE EVENT
Sorry to quote myself, but after buying this issue yesterday and reading it a few times, I have some interesting theories.

1. The 'Adam' character that is 'born' in this issue is the person on the cover of Avengers #8 with the Nightmask glyph! If you look at the images in the picture at the link I posted above, you can see the streamers coming out of his forehead and the 'letter C' looking things all over the lines emanating from him. I believe these are all Nightmask glyphs. They are even more recognizable in a panel or two on pages after the one displayed in the link above.

2a. I believe that the words spoken by this 'Adam' character are a double entendre. Looking at it from the perspective of what happened in the NewUniversal comics, the Nightmask usually makes their way into the 'mental/unconscious flow' area (I forget the name they used and don't have time to go pull the issue, Superflow maybe??) and there they are able to talk to the giant satellite which was placed there so that they could get a download of what was going on with their world and why super powers were popping up. Crash course on the glyphs, the new universal structure, etc. So from that point of view, I'd say 'the builders abandoning the machines' and 'the machine is broken' might refer to the people who made the satellite or the new universal structure itself.

2b. I believe most of that translated passage can also be a direct meta comment aimed at Warren Ellis who gave up on the NewUniversal series after (as Wikipedia says)
In 2009, Warren Ellis lost his story files in a computer accident; he subsequently announced that the project is "basically dead".
His computer fried (The machine is broken), so he gave up on the project (The builders have abandoned the machines), so the project is basically dead (The universe is broken)!!!

What do the rest of you think?
Viva la Valiant!

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Phoenix8008 wrote:
Phoenix8008 wrote:http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/01/23/ ... ranslated/

THE WHITE EVENT

THE MACHINE IS BROKEN

THE UNIVERSE IS BROKEN

ITS COMING

A WHITE EVENT
Sorry to quote myself, but after buying this issue yesterday and reading it a few times, I have some interesting theories.

1. The 'Adam' character that is 'born' in this issue is the person on the cover of Avengers #8 with the Nightmask glyph! If you look at the images in the picture at the link I posted above, you can see the streamers coming out of his forehead and the 'letter C' looking things all over the lines emanating from him. I believe these are all Nightmask glyphs. They are even more recognizable in a panel or two on pages after the one displayed in the link above.

2a. I believe that the words spoken by this 'Adam' character are a double entendre. Looking at it from the perspective of what happened in the NewUniversal comics, the Nightmask usually makes their way into the 'mental/unconscious flow' area (I forget the name they used and don't have time to go pull the issue, Superflow maybe??) and there they are able to talk to the giant satellite which was placed there so that they could get a download of what was going on with their world and why super powers were popping up. Crash course on the glyphs, the new universal structure, etc. So from that point of view, I'd say 'the builders abandoning the machines' and 'the machine is broken' might refer to the people who made the satellite or the new universal structure itself.

2b. I believe most of that translated passage can also be a direct meta comment aimed at Warren Ellis who gave up on the NewUniversal series after (as Wikipedia says)
In 2009, Warren Ellis lost his story files in a computer accident; he subsequently announced that the project is "basically dead".
His computer fried (The machine is broken), so he gave up on the project (The builders have abandoned the machines), so the project is basically dead (The universe is broken)!!!

What do the rest of you think?
Very cool! I can totally see the nightmask glyph in all that spaghetti energy seeping out of that dude. Dammit, now I'm gonna have to get Avengers #3... :lol:

I like your interpretation of the translated passage - it totally lines up with what happened to New Universal & Warren's abandonment of it.

I just happened to have all my New Universal books out after all this chit-chat started up, and you are right, the 'Nightmask' enters the 'Superflow'. Also interesting to note that it is mentioned by that satellite thingie that they are in universe 555 in that series... so the original NU is 616, a separate one?

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

This makes me think I need to read up on Marvel so that I get some of the tie-ins that seem to be starting up in Avengers. I really like the book so far. I'm just very Marvel illiterate. I knew Spiderman in the 90s, and cursory X-Men, but I'm clueless on the rest. I never even new about the New Universe until Kevin's podcast.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Heh heh...

So I dug out an old comic I drew back as a wee lad of 13... [wasn't my first stab at doing a comic, but the first complete issue]. Thought I would share some of it here, as it was heavily influenced by New Universe comics which I was collecting at the time [note the black border on the cover].

I mentioned being influenced by Spitfire & The Troubleshooters before... here you can see just how much I was inspired;

:lol:

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

I appreciate the cover price: $1 Canadian and $2 US. Some bitterness about the exchange rates at the time as a child?

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

lorddunlow wrote:I appreciate the cover price: $1 Canadian and $2 US. Some bitterness about the exchange rates at the time as a child?
:lol: Definitely!

I was wondering if anybody would notice that - I had a laugh when I was scanning this in. :D

Phoenix8008

Post by Phoenix8008 »

lorddunlow wrote:This makes me think I need to read up on Marvel so that I get some of the tie-ins that seem to be starting up in Avengers. I really like the book so far. I'm just very Marvel illiterate. I knew Spiderman in the 90s, and cursory X-Men, but I'm clueless on the rest. I never even new about the New Universe until Kevin's podcast.
Don't read up on Marvel, just the old New Universe stuff. Or even cheaper and maybe more relevant would be the NewUniversal 1-6 and NewUniversal Shockfront 1-2. Then if you want the history lessons of the NewUniversal universe, also get the two one shot issues of NewUniversal:1959 (where the CIA finds out that Tony Stark built a suit of power armor to escape while he was a P.O.W. in korea, then they shot him in the head! But I think they keep his suit and keep tinkering with it over the years till it is the H.E.X. suit in Project Spitfire!) and NewUniversal:Conquerer which explores the far past time which the archeoligist finds ruins of in the main series.

Edit: And in answer to grendeljd's question, I believe the primary Marvel Universe is #616. Not sure what/if universe # the original New U was.

On another side note, if this continues far enough and Marvel actual cuts this stuff loose or spins it off to it's own universe/titles, we'll have to move all these threads out of the 'Dead Universe' section! :hm: :clap: :hope:
Viva la Valiant!

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

lorddunlow wrote:I appreciate the cover price: $1 Canadian and $2 US. Some bitterness about the exchange rates at the time as a child?
:lol:

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

I know how these Canadians think. "Know thy enemy" and all that, you know?

Phoenix8008

Post by Phoenix8008 »

Cool! Added the Avengers series to my mail order pull list at Collector's Paradise and they said that issue #5 comes out tomorrow and they can go ahead and add one from the shelves to my pull box since they should have plenty of copies. Since I had bought #3 already at a book store, I asked them if they had back issues of # 1, 2, and 4. They did and said they'd put those in my pull box for shipment at the end of the month too! So by early next month I'll have Avengers #1-6 to catch up on and see what other New Universe goodness or spoilers they contain. I'll let you know what I find!

:clap:
Viva la Valiant!

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Phoenix8008 wrote:Cool! Added the Avengers series to my mail order pull list at Collector's Paradise and they said that issue #5 comes out tomorrow and they can go ahead and add one from the shelves to my pull box since they should have plenty of copies. Since I had bought #3 already at a book store, I asked them if they had back issues of # 1, 2, and 4. They did and said they'd put those in my pull box for shipment at the end of the month too! So by early next month I'll have Avengers #1-6 to catch up on and see what other New Universe goodness or spoilers they contain. I'll let you know what I find!

:clap:
Looking forward to your report!

kevinbastos
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody

Post by kevinbastos »

I keep thinking that we need to start some kind of a checklist for all of the New Universe appearances in these comics.

New thread?
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

kevinbastos wrote:I keep thinking that we need to start some kind of a checklist for all of the New Universe appearances in these comics.

New thread?
Good idea. :)

Phoenix8008

Post by Phoenix8008 »

StarBrand wrote:
kevinbastos wrote:I keep thinking that we need to start some kind of a checklist for all of the New Universe appearances in these comics.

New thread?
Good idea. :)
But do we put it in the 'Dead Universes' section, or in the 'Marvel, DC, independents, etc' section? I think the later because at the very least it's a part of Marvel's current universe for now. If/when they spin it off into it's own universe of titles it may still be considered Marvel, but either way clearly the 'New Universe' isn't exactly dead anymore!

Edit: In fact, here it is: http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... =4&t=39292" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shall we continue our discussions there?
Viva la Valiant!