Broadway Fatale Keepsake collection

Comic universes no longer active, Bravura, Continuity, CrossGen, Future, Malibu, Ultraverse... and others that are 'no longer with us' today (or only recently brought back).

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

iggy101us
I bought my first comics at Kwik-E-Mart
Broadway Fatale Keepsake collection

Post by iggy101us »

I won this set off eBay and just received the cards in the mail. Has anyone seen this before? I know Defiant1 has a set but it's unopened. According to the seller, Jim Shooter signed the 6 cards but the sig is really small and does not look like his usual signature. Has anyone seen a Jim Shooter sig like this before :?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-Fatale-Kee ... true&rt=nc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
Re: Broadway Fatale Keepsake collection

Post by StarBrand »

I must admit this doesn't look like other examples I've seen of Shooter's sig.
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

StarBrand wrote:I must admit this doesn't look like other examples I've seen of Shooter's sig.
It looks a lot like whoever wrote "personally signed" on the outer packaging.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

greg wrote:
StarBrand wrote:I must admit this doesn't look like other examples I've seen of Shooter's sig.
It looks a lot like whoever wrote "personally signed" on the outer packaging.

I was thinking the same thing. Still a cool item, though. Lol

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Maybe when Iggy goes to sell this, he could treat it like CGC would and say "Jim Shooter written in pen".
Last edited by StarBrand on Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:52:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iggy101us

Post by iggy101us »

I haven't seen this up for sale before. I prefer no sig or the usual Shooter sig. Bit I just couldn't pass up on this, not knowing when I will see another set for sale.

iggy101us

Post by iggy101us »

StarBrand wrote:Maybe when Iggy goes to sell this, he could treat it like Cgc would and say "Jim Shooter written in pen".
:lol:

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Iggy, if Janet still posts on VCS, maybe you could send her a PM and ask her about the sig.

iggy101us

Post by iggy101us »

Daniel Jackson wrote:Iggy, if Janet still posts on VCS, maybe you could send her a PM and ask her about the sig.
Good idea. Will do.

iggy101us

Post by iggy101us »

Below is JayJay's response with additional info regarding the set.
JayJay wrote:I'm so sorry, I hate to give you bad news, but that isn't Jim's signature. Also that Fatale series was not a signed and numbered edition, I believe it was never fully produced since Broadway went out of business before it could be finished. That's what I remember. I know that we got some test prints into the office, but I was told it was not finished. As long as I've known him, Jim has only signed his last name, never his first with it, and never Jim as a first name. When he signs official documents he signs James. But his autograph is always just "Shooter".

comicsyte95
It's Porktastic!!!
It's Porktastic!!!

Post by comicsyte95 »

iggy101us wrote:Below is JayJay's response with additional info regarding the set.
JayJay wrote:I'm so sorry, I hate to give you bad news, but that isn't Jim's signature. Also that Fatale series was not a signed and numbered edition, I believe it was never fully produced since Broadway went out of business before it could be finished. That's what I remember. I know that we got some test prints into the office, but I was told it was not finished. As long as I've known him, Jim has only signed his last name, never his first with it, and never Jim as a first name. When he signs official documents he signs James. But his autograph is always just "Shooter".
:(
If I just can't be me ,and the Arrow isn't enough.. then maybe I should be Ra's al Ghul

Brother J
Just trying to be self-deprecating

Post by Brother J »

iggy101us wrote:Below is JayJay's response with additional info regarding the set.

I believe JayJay's information here is only partially correct. I was pretty sure when I saw the "Jim Shooter" signature that it was not authentic. However, it does appear to be a numbered set. I have one and mine is also numbered. Unless they produced just a few and put random numbers on them, I don't believe this was an unproduced item.

iggy101us

Post by iggy101us »

Good to know. :thumb:

Zero
I discovered platinum in Indiana.
I discovered platinum in Indiana.

Post by Zero »

I have a sealed set as well. :thumb:

Knightt
Master of the Dead Universes

Post by Knightt »

This is a numbered set but that doesn't mean that Broadway put the set together. It's possible somebody found a bunch of these and are attempting to sell them as such. Anybody can put a numbered series of books together and call it a numbered series. In this instance it just didn't come from Broadway and they forged a signature.

Brother J

Post by Brother J »

Brother J wrote:

I believe JayJay's information here is only partially correct. I was pretty sure when I saw the "Jim Shooter" signature that it was not authentic. However, it does appear to be a numbered set. I have one and mine is also numbered. Unless they produced just a few and put random numbers on them, I don't believe this was an unproduced item.
I guess I was mistaken on this. Went back over to the thread about this item on DF1's board and saw a post with information from Pauline Weiss:

"Per the description on the package, "This Keepsake Collection includes six colorful 6" x 9" UV-coated Keepsake cards and a 6-card press sheet showcasing all six images." These were samples. Broadway Comics creator and editor Pauline Weiss is "reasonably certain" these were never actually "produced and sold".

So apparently the ones that have gotten out into the wild were samples, I guess that makes these quite a bit more limited than we may have thought.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Good info. I don't think I actually meant that Broadway didn't "make" them but rather that they didn't put the set of 1000 together as the "personally signed 459/1000" states. Too bad some spank-nut had to forge a signature but also add insult to injury by the annotation 459/1000 when these were only samples of a limited item that never made it past the sample phase. Nifty pre-production item to have though.