Bravura/Malibu/Ultraverse

Comic universes no longer active, Bravura, Continuity, CrossGen, Future, Malibu, Ultraverse... and others that are 'no longer with us' today (or only recently brought back).

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Shakespeare
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Bravura/Malibu/Ultraverse

Post by Shakespeare »

Could someone please tell me how Bravura, Ultraverse, and Malibu are related? Also, I have a Rune #(infinity) and it doesn't seem to have a company name on it.

S

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes
Re: Bravura/Malibu/Ultraverse

Post by depluto »

Shakespeare wrote:Could someone please tell me how Bravura, Ultraverse, and Malibu are related? Also, I have a Rune #(infinity) and it doesn't seem to have a company name on it.
Malibu was an independent that created a new universe around the same time Valiant was huge ... that line was the Ultraverse and was separate from Malibu's existing comics like Protectors, Ferret, etc.

So the Ultraverse was part of Malibu, until it was sold to Marvel. Marvel then kind of relaunched the Ultraverse (that's where your Rune infinity came from) although it petered out in about a year.

Bravura was a "creator-owned" imprint of Malibu, also separate from the Ultraverse. There were some great comics in here (Breed comes to mind) all in mini-series fashion done and owned by some real comic pros like Starlin and Simonsen.

I might be a little off on some of this but I think the gist is right.

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

I remember when that stuff came out, I bought some of the Prime and Rune issues but not much else in their lineup. The art was pretty good but the stories were not very compelling so I lost interest in them quickly.

mattboh
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by mattboh »

If I remember correctly, Malibu published Image for the first year or so.

wrunow
Where are you now?
Where are you now?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: They killed her off!
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Nord

Post by wrunow »

Daniel Jackson wrote:I remember when that stuff came out, I bought some of the Prime and Rune issues but not much else in their lineup. The art was pretty good but the stories were not very compelling so I lost interest in them quickly.
I really enjoyed the first issues of Prime although it was very much like a Captain Marvel type thing where a kid turns into a superman character, although if I remember correctly, after the change he was still a kid intellectually. Of course all of these titles and characters have pretty much been buried since Malibu was bought by Marvel.

I highly anticipated Rune as BWS next significant work after VALIANT but was really disappointed when it came out. Just my opinion though.

The Spider
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by The Spider »

wrunow wrote:
Daniel Jackson wrote:I remember when that stuff came out, I bought some of the Prime and Rune issues but not much else in their lineup. The art was pretty good but the stories were not very compelling so I lost interest in them quickly.
I really enjoyed the first issues of Prime although it was very much like a Captain Marvel type thing where a kid turns into a superman character, although if I remember correctly, after the change he was still a kid intellectually. Of course all of these titles and characters have pretty much been buried since Malibu was bought by Marvel.

I highly anticipated Rune as BWS next significant work after VALIANT but was really disappointed when it came out. Just my opinion though.
Yeah, Prime still had his kid-intellect when he changed. Hence, there was a point when he was in his rebellious phase and was "Rogue Prime" or something.

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

I highly anticipated Rune as BWS next significant work after VALIANT but was really disappointed when it came out. Just my opinion though
Yeah, me too. It was heavily promoted at the time and I bought more than one copy of the first few issues thinking it might take off. Instead it only took off to the quarter bin.

Byrneout
...and in THIS corner...
...and in THIS corner...
Location: Originally Hell's Kitchen, NY - *SKREE* that "Clinton, NY" *SKREE* - now Cincinnati, OH

Post by Byrneout »

Prime wasn't bad, Night Man was above average, but even those glimmers of hope disappeared when Godwheel happened, and Marvel slipped Thor into the Ultraverse.

From that point on we had Juggernaut as a team leader, Spider-Prime, a cannibalistic Night Man, and much other wackiness that tanked the line. It was almost as if Marvel was trying to punish the characters because Malibu helped out Image back in the day...

On the same note, should a Garth Ennis get the rights to do a Night Man in the Max imprint, or if Prime could be re-launched with a good creative team, there might be hope for these characters yet. Of course, they are owned by Marvel, so the likelihood of that actually happening is somewhere between slim and none.
Last edited by Byrneout on Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:05:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

This has been said here before, but check out forgottenuniverses.com. Great site with plenty of info from Ryan McClelland.