Ultraverse reading order

Comic universes no longer active, Bravura, Continuity, CrossGen, Future, Malibu, Ultraverse... and others that are 'no longer with us' today (or only recently brought back).

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

chisumwomack
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Ultraverse reading order

Post by chisumwomack »

Anybody got one? I have no idea where to start. Even a ballpark approximation would help.

Draco
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Valiant fan since: preordered vh1 from start
Favorite character: X-O from vh1
Favorite title: X-O vh1
Favorite writer: Good question?
Favorite artist: ooooh another good question
Re: Ultraverse reading order

Post by Draco »

chisumwomack wrote:Anybody got one? I have no idea where to start. Even a ballpark approximation would help.
Im sure there is one somewhere.
If there is you wont have to wait long for a reply dude.
i know a few people here will know the answer either way.

:thumb:

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

I'd do one if I was familiar with it, since I love making lists. Quick, somebody in love with this DU, help the man out.

Knightt
Master of the Dead Universes

Post by Knightt »

chisumwomack wrote:Anybody got one? I have no idea where to start. Even a ballpark approximation would help.
Oh man, wracking my brain on this one. I have 'The Valiant Bible' at home but I don't think it is comprehensive.

I'll see what I have but as far as a 'reading order'... THAT is an undertaking.

Let me do some checking around.

Brother J, depluto, Prelate 1 please feel free to chime in.

Draco
Valiant fan since: preordered vh1 from start
Favorite character: X-O from vh1
Favorite title: X-O vh1
Favorite writer: Good question?
Favorite artist: ooooh another good question

Post by Draco »

Knightt wrote:
Oh man, wracking my brain on this one. I have 'The Valiant Bible' at home but I don't think it is comprehensive.

I'll see what I have but as far as a 'reading order'... THAT is an undertaking.

Let me do some checking around.

Brother J, depluto, Prelate 1 please feel free to chime in.
i thought about big tels site, but wasnt sure if he did that over just covers

:hm:

chisumwomack
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by chisumwomack »

I've googled around, but to no avail.

Prelate1
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by Prelate1 »

As much as I love the Ultraverse I don't think I've ever had a reading order list. I do know that Prime #1 was released 1st then Hardcase #1 2nd followed by The Strangers #1 in third.

Brother J
Just trying to be self-deprecating

Post by Brother J »

I think the best bet would be to take one of the first titles that came out (Prime, Hardcase, etc.) and start with issue #1. The books had checklists of all the other books that were released the same month in them, so you should be able to go forward and read them in the order they were released if you don't want to read them by title.

turborip
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by turborip »

Brother J wrote:I think the best bet would be to take one of the first titles that came out (Prime, Hardcase, etc.) and start with issue #1. The books had checklists of all the other books that were released the same month in them, so you should be able to go forward and read them in the order they were released if you don't want to read them by title.
This is the soundest advice! :thumb:

chisumwomack
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by chisumwomack »

So it's agreed, Prime, then Hardcase, then Strangers?

h-comics
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by h-comics »

:thumb: Yep that is how I started back in the day.Brother J said it perfectly.

Jesse

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

Malibu should've called Ultraverse "The Never Ending Universe of Nonsense Books".

Every time I'm digging in the bins I find some obscure Ultraverse book or series or one shot that I didn't know existed. :?

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

No different than Marvel these days.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

Knightt wrote:No different than Marvel these days.
Right!
What was I thinking? :roll:

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

IMJ wrote:Malibu should've called Ultraverse "The Never Ending Universe of Nonsense Books".

Every time I'm digging in the bins I find some obscure Ultraverse book or series or one shot that I didn't know existed. :?
I would collect the Never Ending Universe of Nonsense Books because they sound like they'd be awesome and sell for a quarter a piece.

There's a bunch to Ultraverse. I especially love the fact that more than once, they had 4 issue limited series that began with issue 0 and would have a tab in the corner telling you what part # of the story it was - like Godwheel 1 "Part Two of Four" or Eliminator 3 "Part Four of Four". In these cases, what is even the point of a 0 issue? It's to boost sales gratuitously!

chisumwomack
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by chisumwomack »

Haven't really got into them yet myself, was kinda wondering if it's worth it.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Well that is part of the pull of the Dead Universes section to some (is for me) is that these are books that are for the most part quarter books or five for a dollar.

Ultraverse, over 800 books (if I remember correctly), there is NO WAY I would a buck a piece for these and would be VERY opposed to paying $.75 cents.

Dead Universes... they are cheap... they are ours - Depluto said something like that years ago and it remains true today.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

I think in general I've fished these things out of .50 bins. The days of the quarter bin are long gone. It's ashame that at .50 a pop I feel like I'm overpaying for them too, but I've amassed too many to buy lots on eBay hoping to reach that .15 a book break.

-shrugs-

I would just hope that if I sold my set I'd make a couple bucks here and there on some of the variants or uncommon books - enough to come close to breaking even. Add in bags and boards and it's worse!

I've got the money to put in for pricier stuff, but I'm a sucker for completing runs out of bargain bins. Especially for stuff I'd never have read in the first place.

turborip
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by turborip »

IMJ wrote:I think in general I've fished these things out of .50 bins. The days of the quarter bin are long gone. It's ashame that at .50 a pop I feel like I'm overpaying for them too, but I've amassed too many to buy lots on eBay hoping to reach that .15 a book break.

-shrugs-

I would just hope that if I sold my set I'd make a couple bucks here and there on some of the variants or uncommon books - enough to come close to breaking even. Add in bags and boards and it's worse!

I've got the money to put in for pricier stuff, but I'm a sucker for completing runs out of bargain bins. Especially for stuff I'd never have read in the first place.
Re: the quarter bin....I'd agree with you until I saw the darndest thing recently. My LCS used to have a quarter bin. At one point they even went down to ten cents apiece if you bought 100 comics. Then they pulled it to make room for other stuff.

A few months back, they brought back the bargain bin, but this time at 50 cents a pop. Didn't bug me, because I still found some great stuff.

Then recently, they've dropped the price on the bargain bin back to 25 cents each! Not as much great stuff left, but I still dropped $5 the other day.

They are still out there, just few and far between!

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

turborip wrote:
IMJ wrote:I think in general I've fished these things out of .50 bins. The days of the quarter bin are long gone. It's ashame that at .50 a pop I feel like I'm overpaying for them too, but I've amassed too many to buy lots on eBay hoping to reach that .15 a book break.

-shrugs-

Re: the quarter bin....I'd agree with you until I saw the darndest thing recently. My LCS used to have a quarter bin. At one point they even went down to ten cents apiece if you bought 100 comics. Then they pulled it to make room for other stuff.

A few months back, they brought back the bargain bin, but this time at 50 cents a pop. Didn't bug me, because I still found some great stuff.

Then recently, they've dropped the price on the bargain bin back to 25 cents each! Not as much great stuff left, but I still dropped $5 the other day.

They are still out there, just few and far between!
Again, just another reason that the DU can be fun... for the most part, they are so-so books. I mean if they were KICKIN' they would still be around right ? But there is the exception like Crossgen and some others.

Ultraverse is just a labor of love. I LOVED 'em when they first came out and I lost my entire collection (to include Valiant, Image, assorted other companies a complete run of X-Factor... well ALL the X-books, and a fun of Uncanny X-Men #80 all the way up to current back then of 1999.... the EX took all of it and put it in a dumpster and burned EVERYTHING) and followed it even overseas at which there came a point where life got in the way and I had to prioritize. But, now I am VERY happy as I have 5 times more books all around than I did back then before The Burn. But some key issues have not been replaced like (well that whole run of Uncanny X-Men and what an incredibly beautiful copy of both Giant-Size X-Men and Uncanny X-Men #94 - which I know that I will NEVER see again, and man that was the best it ever got for me back then with the X-Men, they were great back then... now mine are ashes) Witchblade #1, full run of The Darkness, my old Spider-Man issues etc.

But back then I was in on the start of the Ultraverse and have always had a special place for it. Now I am happy to pay very low prices (and have made incredible trades) for these books that had I gotten them when they came out, I would have been in the negative. This is what keeps me going now is that, the books are finite and 98% of the time, they are cheap. It is the hunt that keeps me going. Some hunt for the expensive books, for instance Uncanny X-Men #94, but that is out of my league... me, I find the hidden gem in the quarter or fifty cent box or hell, even sometimes a dollar.

The hunt continues...

Brother J

Post by Brother J »

I pulled a crapload of Ultraverse books out of a 10 cent box at a store. The store mainly specialized in toys, but he did have quite a few good books in there. I think if I remember right, I made a second trip there and bought a bunch of Ultraverse stuff for Knightt when he was just starting out collecting these.

My best find out of those .10 boxes had to be a CEAR hiding among a small stack of the blue versions. :D

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

My best bargain bin find were all of the Maxx #1 ashcan books in one clump. No kidding.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Brother J wrote:I pulled a crapload of Ultraverse books out of a 10 cent box at a store. The store mainly specialized in toys, but he did have quite a few good books in there. I think if I remember right, I made a second trip there and bought a bunch of Ultraverse stuff for Knightt when he was just starting out collecting these.

My best find out of those .10 boxes had to be a *Chaos Effect Alpha Red (C.E.A.R.)* hiding among a small stack of the blue versions. :D
I still have most of those... replaced a few but still have most.

My best deal like that would have been two Unity Reds for $1.50 each or that recent Birth of the Defiant Universe for a $1.00 or HEY YEAH, that Miracle on Broadway for $12.00.... I love THAT deal.

fastballspecial
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill

Post by fastballspecial »

I would suggest reading the core titles until the crossover stuff started.

Prime, Solution, Strangers, Prototype, and Hardcase were I think the 5 core titles. Then came like Sludge, Mantra, Firearm I think and a few others.

I would highly suggest Breed and Star Slammers from the Bravura line as well. Breed is my favorite Ultraverse title.

After Marvel bought them they went to hell.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

fastballspecial wrote:I would suggest reading the core titles until the crossover stuff started.

Prime, Solution, Strangers, Prototype, and Hardcase were I think the 5 core titles. Then came like Sludge, Mantra, Firearm I think and a few others.

I would highly suggest Breed and Star Slammers from the Bravura line as well. Breed is my favorite Ultraverse title.

After Marvel bought them they went to hell.
Very sound and sage advice in this post, but Bravura books as they are not part on the Ultraverse in any way.

They were touted as being the 'creator owned' book line, no crossovers with Ultraverse, no nothing... just another avenue of selling books for Malibu. More accurate would have been.

"I wold highly suggest Breed and Star Slammers from the Bravura line as well. Breed is my favorite Bravura title."

Just a very friendly and hopefully educating nudge in the right direction and I do not mean to offend, just to educate. THANKS for your input.

I'm loving it that we are still kicking along after all these years. The upcoming date of October 11th, 2009 will mark the 4 year anniversary of this portion of the message board that Greg let me have. For the 5th year anniversary, I will be doing a special project... probably not signed book but something unique... just like the people that inhabit this part of the form.

THANK YOU for everyone who participates, from the person who posts twice a year to the people who post five times a day. I think that the Dead Universes section is a sucess