banned from a dead universe....how low can i go?

Comic universes no longer active, Bravura, Continuity, CrossGen, Future, Malibu, Ultraverse... and others that are 'no longer with us' today (or only recently brought back).

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

reddog
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: chu chuck
Favorite title: solar
Favorite writer: shooter
Favorite artist: lapham
banned from a dead universe....how low can i go?

Post by reddog »

i got banned from a dead universe, the defiant facebook page, beacuse i said dark dominion was a bad attempt. it was. its dead. the art stunk, the writing smelled and it all folded up because shooter was in court spending money instead of creating anything more than a few sentences of outline. i know, i was there. its a dead universe. haw do you get banned from a dead universe? i even offered my long box of mint books free, just get them from the curb, craigslost style. oh well, the dead live on.

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen
Re: banned from a dead universe....how low can i go?

Post by IMJ »

Cancel culture. It's the go-to for idiots everywhere nowadays.

To understand it, you have to bring your mind back to early grammar school when you had that strange interaction with that one weirdo who kept coming around you without saying anything, and then when you stepped on the grass off the sidewalk, he'd scream tersely "NO! That's wrong!" and literally run away like he witnessed evil for the first time.

reddog
Favorite character: chu chuck
Favorite title: solar
Favorite writer: shooter
Favorite artist: lapham

Post by reddog »

hahahahahahahahahah

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

IMJ wrote:Cancel culture. It's the go-to for idiots everywhere nowadays.

To understand it, you have to bring your mind back to early grammar school when you had that strange interaction with that one weirdo who kept coming around you without saying anything, and then when you stepped on the grass off the sidewalk, he'd scream tersely "NO! That's wrong!" and literally run away like he witnessed evil for the first time.
I'm a music junky and there was a whole NPR All Songs Considered episode on this topic recently. All of the music critics say they now temper their feedback based on the cancel culture. It's bananas. Now, there is a particular NPR music critic that is *SQUEE* nuts, and I don't like her outlook at all (I won't go into it here, but talk about pot kettle black), and I'm of two minds about critics (your job is to be critical despite what others think - same for me being an attorney), but talk about censorship. That part of our new culture I don't love.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

IMJ wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:23:14 pm Cancel culture. It's the go-to for idiots everywhere nowadays.

Depends on how someone says it. I've been at video game message boards (and that is an EXTREMELY toxic fandom) and said that I hated *inserted popular game from popular developer* I explained my reasons and left that forum, I don't troll them, I made my point and move on and guess what? I didn't get banned. Now when the game tanked and the company that made it has not handled the bad PR well, I made my snarky comments and jokes about it one time and kept the rest to PM thread of like minded friends. Again I didn't get banned.

If someone is constantly saying that something sucks over and over and over and over again offering NOTHING constructive or not even offering sources for their claims that is called trolling. While some trolls claim they're doing it to be "funny" but there is also a limit to when people want to have to legit discussion about the pros and cons of a piece of media and some idiot keeps disrupting and causing nothing but trouble, the admins have every right to ban their sorry butts. That isn't "cancel culture" that is called enforcing the rules. And if you don't like it then go start your own message board, Facebook Group, YouTube Channel, Twitch Channel, or whatever and if it's successful then you deal with the trolls that will come however you wish.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

IMJ
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

Cyberstrike wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:51:11 pm
IMJ wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:23:14 pm Cancel culture. It's the go-to for idiots everywhere nowadays.

Depends on how someone says it. I've been at video game message boards (and that is an EXTREMELY toxic fandom) and said that I hated *inserted popular game from popular developer* I explained my reasons and left that forum, I don't troll them, I made my point and move on and guess what? I didn't get banned. Now when the game tanked and the company that made it has not handled the bad PR well, I made my snarky comments and jokes about it one time and kept the rest to PM thread of like minded friends. Again I didn't get banned.

If someone is constantly saying that something sucks over and over and over and over again offering NOTHING constructive or not even offering sources for their claims that is called trolling. While some trolls claim they're doing it to be "funny" but there is also a limit to when people want to have to legit discussion about the pros and cons of a piece of media and some idiot keeps disrupting and causing nothing but trouble, the admins have every right to ban their sorry butts. That isn't "cancel culture" that is called enforcing the rules. And if you don't like it then go start your own message board, Facebook Group, YouTube Channel, Twitch Channel, or whatever and if it's successful then you deal with the trolls that will come however you wish.
I've moderated a forum before, I get it first hand. I've also never been banned from a group before.

So with that said, I see this via a different directionality. See, it's not that I disagree with you on the "depends on how you say it" angle. But the bigger problem, the real problem is that people have weaponized their "perceptual" angles on being offended and the societal manipulators have been too empowered to wield their judgements in a manner that results in harm towards anyone they disagree with.

And so what you've explained here is all fine and good, what it boils down to is that you have a bunch of executioners running around claiming they are fighting intolerance, through their own intolerance, judgement and lenses. The fact is that we've had a few years of modern Salem-Witch hunting going on now and that's the real problem.

In some ways I see your very heavy handed explanation here as more social-executioner mentality.

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

reddog wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:59:00 am i got banned from a dead universe, the defiant facebook page, beacuse i said dark dominion was a bad attempt. it was. its dead. the art stunk, the writing smelled and it all folded up because shooter was in court spending money instead of creating anything more than a few sentences of outline. i know, i was there. its a dead universe. haw do you get banned from a dead universe? i even offered my long box of mint books free, just get them from the curb, craigslost style. oh well, the dead live on.
You get banned for calling the best book of the entire universe the worst. Objective wrongness is totally banworthy.

:D
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

SwiftMann wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:45:55 am
reddog wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:59:00 am i got banned from a dead universe, the defiant facebook page, beacuse i said dark dominion was a bad attempt. it was. its dead. the art stunk, the writing smelled and it all folded up because shooter was in court spending money instead of creating anything more than a few sentences of outline. i know, i was there. its a dead universe. haw do you get banned from a dead universe? i even offered my long box of mint books free, just get them from the curb, craigslost style. oh well, the dead live on.
You get banned for calling the best book of the entire universe the worst. Objective wrongness is totally banworthy.

:D
The internet, like academia, is for promoting the free flow of a single point of view and any dissent must be publicly and immediately quashed or it will be a threat to all the free world.

caxiotis
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.

Post by caxiotis »

Outside of Lapham, the art for all of the Defiant books was pretty low quality. It is one of the reason I think Defiant never took off. Actually, the entire Defiant concept was interesting, but way out there, which made it hard for readers to get into. It mixed with the low art quality were a huge hurdle for the company - IMO.

I think there was great potential and we would have seen the potential come to fruition had the company been able to keep going forward.

Greg - don’t ban me for my opinion... :-o :-D
Pull List: I only buy TPB's, HC's and Hellboy comics