Bragging rights - your best Dead Universe deal of late?

Comic universes no longer active, Bravura, Continuity, CrossGen, Future, Malibu, Ultraverse... and others that are 'no longer with us' today (or only recently brought back).

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

fastballspecial
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Re: Bragging rights - your best Dead Universe deal of late?

Post by fastballspecial »

My downfall is Breed. Loved the title have all the issues. Wish Starlin would return the character I think he could fit in Marvel's Dark side of its universe nicely.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

fastballspecial wrote:My downfall is Breed. Loved the title have all the issues. Wish Starlin would return the character I think he could fit in Marvel's Dark side of its universe nicely.
He did a 'Breed III mini-series with Image a few years ago. It was... forgettable?

I want to say that maybe it tied in with Wyrd?

Draco
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Valiant fan since: preordered vh1 from start
Favorite character: X-O from vh1
Favorite title: X-O vh1
Favorite writer: Good question?
Favorite artist: ooooh another good question

Post by Draco »

Chiclo wrote:
fastballspecial wrote:My downfall is Breed. Loved the title have all the issues. Wish Starlin would return the character I think he could fit in Marvel's Dark side of its universe nicely.
He did a 'Breed III mini-series with Image a few years ago. It was... forgettable?

I want to say that maybe it tied in with Wyrd?
They certainly crossed over, but as you said that period of his own work was forgettable, shame really, but hey ho :)
I trade as Dead Universe Comics in the UK, which is no surprise to those who know of my legendary Dead Universe habit.
140 boxes and counting !!!

Follow us on facebook :)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dead-Uni ... 1695270458" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Phantom
I will call my mum and ask what the *SQUEE* is going on.
I will call my mum and ask what the *SQUEE* is going on.
Location: I would rather be under the stars in a tent, or on a park bench.

Post by Phantom »

Welcome back!
Hey Draco ~ see you soon buddy
I wish their was a Spinal Tap comic, and I had a copy CGC graded at 11.

Draco
Valiant fan since: preordered vh1 from start
Favorite character: X-O from vh1
Favorite title: X-O vh1
Favorite writer: Good question?
Favorite artist: ooooh another good question

Post by Draco »

Phantom wrote:Welcome back!
Hey Draco ~ see you soon buddy
Hey dude, be super cool to catch up :)
I trade as Dead Universe Comics in the UK, which is no surprise to those who know of my legendary Dead Universe habit.
140 boxes and counting !!!

Follow us on facebook :)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dead-Uni ... 1695270458" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ramses818
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: X-O Manowar 14
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-o but maybe soon to be Rai
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Ramses818 »

Maybe you guys can tell me...I just bought 4 warriorso f plasm albums for $20 ea. 1 premier (gold stamp and different cover art) and 3 silver second edition (2 still sealed). How did I make out? I figure I can't lose at least lol. :?

Brother J
Just trying to be self-deprecating
Just trying to be self-deprecating

Post by Brother J »

Ramses818 wrote:Maybe you guys can tell me...I just bought 4 warriorso f plasm albums for $20 ea. 1 premier (gold stamp and different cover art) and 3 silver second edition (2 still sealed). How did I make out? I figure I can't lose at least lol. :?
$20 each?

Well, no offense, but I think you could have done a lot better. For instance, here's four binders on eBay for $20 shipped:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-The-River- ... Swax5YvZP3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Did yours include complete card sets or are they empty? If you got the card sets, that should make it a little better.

Ramses818
Valiant fan since: X-O Manowar 14
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-o but maybe soon to be Rai
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Ramses818 »

Yeah. I couldn't check eBay so I went with my gut...pretty much broke even. Can't win them all...lol. Yes they have all the cards and comics in them. I did the research after I got home...lol. Thanks though Brother J

AZBarbarian
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Secret Weapons
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by AZBarbarian »

First post on the message boards. Happy to be here. Today at my LCS, walked into a longbox of mostly Malibu books. Got these babies for $1 each. All bagged, boarded and in NM+ condition.

Dead Clown #1 (1993) Malibu
Ex-Mutants #1 (1992) Malibu
The Ferret #1 (1993) Malibu - Extra cool die-cut cover!
Genesis #0 (1993) Malibu
Gravestone #1 (1993) Malibu
The Mighty Magnor #1 (1993) Malibu
Raver #1 (1993) Malibu
Rune #1 (1994) Malibu
Street Fighter #1 (Malibu)
Star Trek: Deep Space 9 #1 (Malibu)

Edge #1 (1994) Bravura (Malibu)
Power & Glory #1A (1994) Bravura (Malibu)

Exiles #1 (1993) Ultraverse (Malibu)
Firearm #1 (1993) Ultraverse (Malibu) - polybagged with Ultraverse Card! (Hardcase)
Freex #1 (1993) Ultraverse (Malibu)
Hardcase #1 (1993) Ultraverse (Malibu)
Mantra #1 (1993) Ultraverse (Malibu)
Night Man #1 (1993) Ultraverse (Malibu)
Prime #1 (1993) Ultraverse (Malibu)
Prototype #1 (1993) Ultraverse (Malibu)
Solitaire #1 (1993) Ultraverse (Malibu) - color cover
The Solution #1 (1993) Ultraverse (Malibu) - polybagged with Ultraverse Card! (Solitaire)
Sludge #1 (1993) Ultraverse (Malibu)
The Strangers (1993) Ultraverse (Malibu) - Foil Cover
Ultraforce #0b (1994) Ultraverse (Malibu) - ashcan size
Ultraforce #0 (1994) Ultraverse (Malibu)
Ultraforce #1 (1994) Ultraverse (Malibu)
Ultraverse Special Previews Guide (1993) Ultraverse (Malibu) - Variant Cover
Wizard Presents: Prime #1/2 (1994) Ultraverse (Malibu)

Also found Warriors of Plasm Tin in shrink!

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

Good stuff! Those are some good reads, especially for one dollar each!

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

Nice first post.
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

Burrito Boy
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Favorite character: Gunny Lewis
Favorite title: Armorines
Favorite writer: Jorge Gonzalez

Post by Burrito Boy »

I just picked up nine issues of The Jaguar by Impact Comics for six bucks on Ebay.

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

Burrito Boy wrote:I just picked up nine issues of The Jaguar by Impact Comics for six bucks on Ebay.
Nice. I'm only missing Crucible #6 and The Fly #15 & 16 to finish off my Impact run of MLJ characters.

My LCBS bought a huge collection (35+ short boxes) of signed comics a while back. They've marked most down to $1 and I was able to grab a number of Defiant and Broadway issues signed by Jim Shooter and JG Jones.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

Burrito Boy
Favorite character: Gunny Lewis
Favorite title: Armorines
Favorite writer: Jorge Gonzalez

Post by Burrito Boy »

SwiftMann wrote:
Burrito Boy wrote:I just picked up nine issues of The Jaguar by Impact Comics for six bucks on Ebay.
Nice. I'm only missing Crucible #6 and The Fly #15 & 16 to finish off my Impact run of MLJ characters.

My LCBS bought a huge collection (35+ short boxes) of signed comics a while back. They've marked most down to $1 and I was able to grab a number of Defiant and Broadway issues signed by Jim Shooter and JG Jones.
Nice. :high-five: I also picked up ten issues of Legend of The Shield for five bucks. And I've got two more lots of Impact comics coming in the mail. When they get here, I'll make up a checklist and see how many more I need. I know for sure it's going to be more than three.

shadow5555
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by shadow5555 »

Long post...sorry, I had more to say than I thought i did. :oops:

I know this board doesn't get a whole lotta love these days (except for an occasional post here and there) but I'd figured I'd post my quest on what I'm getting at the moment.

Mostly these are done, and you'll see a trend for the 1 or 2 books missing because they're the most expensive in the line. :| (but not much in the way of story content, so I'm not too worried about them)

With that being said, here we go.

Many of these are from a MASSIVE haul I got on Ebay from a guy who had an offer for 50 books per $22+13 shipping (which worked out to be around $0.37 a book) he provided 90% of my Ultraverse, and about 50% of my Defiant and Broadway stuff I needed.

I might post the missing, wanted books in the buy/sell trade forum, haven't decided yet, again many of these are would be nice to have's but aren't needed.
---------------------------------------

Broadway Comics - Done (except the Miracle on Broadway)
Defiant Comics - Done (except the The Birth of the Defiant Universe, Greg found me a 'bargain' $60 one, but I had to pass, considering it'd be more than I paid for all of the other books combined)
Ultraverse - Done Missing a couple of Ashcans (Freex/Mantra, Prime Sega CD, Jumpstart Effect) is there any exclusive content in any of these or am I effectively "done" with this set?
New Universe - Only collected Star Brand, The Pitt, and the New Universal books (collected), mostly wanted it for the Shooter books
Acclaim (VH2) - Missing 2 - Got them all except the super expensive books (I assume they're the last ones out before Acclaim folded) Missing: Shadowman Vol. 3 #6, Armorines #4, Turok magazines.

-------------------------------

I also ventured into the Crime books The Grackle & Gravediggers, already had the Armed & Dangerous books thanks to a kind soul on the boards here, the same one I believe provided me Unity 2000 #3), skipped all of the licensed stuff (just as I skipped a lot of the Windjammers line during the VH1 era) and I own only one copy of Classics Illustrated (those books are too expensive)

Lastly after the Harbinger TPB thread, I finally completed my VH1 TPB collection by getting the Unity set (which I didn't need, but wanted to have), I found all four (including the slip cover for less then $40).

I also picked up 1963 from Image (which I ignored during my late teens when it came out, "Alan Moore who?" facepalm ) And a few other odds and ends (picking up most/all of Roy Thomas' books he worked on for DC in the early to mid 80's (All-Star Squadron, Young All Stars, Infinity Inc plus cross-overs) None of this stuff has ever been collected except for an odd bit here and there. (sadly, as it has some excellent art by Jerry Ordway too) and I went through ALL of John Ostrander's output and got almost everything I was missing except his Star Wars and some Marvel Work), he's one of my favorite writers.

So how'd I fare.

It'd be hard to look at a blanket order from anywhere, but a rough estimate would be 600+ books from those dead universes for around $750.... :o (we need to rename this section Dead, but Expen$ive Universes...lol)

Sadly I did get some great deals like the Ultraverse/Broadway/Defiant haul off of Ebay, but to get the rest of the books I was missing (for example the 90 missing Ultraverse books) it cost me almost as much as what I paid for that original pickup, since Lonestar is stingy with their sales on these books as they know only us collectors want them, so they're reasonable, but still marked up over a $1 an issue more than they should be.

I could complain, but I knew going in what I was looking at thankfully Ebay had some bulk lots that helped to soften the blow a bit and Cyberspace Comics on Atomic Avenue (who is a member here apparently as I saw in the other thread aka Doorman) provided many of the rest (only issue I have with him is some of the prices for certain books are way out of touch, and only if they were comparable to Lonestar on many issues, I would have bought more from him).

I talked to the owner of my LCS recently, and he said only very few people in my area still carry older back issues, Lonestar and others are buying up the glut of back issue stuff then charging a handsome mark up for the books. But I digress.

I'm looking forward to reading through these when I get time.

My biggest surprise: Seeing the Ultraverse needing more than ONE longbox, trust me I tried to get them ALL in, it wasn't going to happen. :P :wink:

Edit: Forgot something important. A HUGE Thank you!!! to everyone who put in work on the checklists in this section, they are invaluable. A special shout out to Depluto and Knightt for the Ultraverse Checklist and this section. A quick note, the Ultraverse checklist & on Depluto's site don't totally jive (I had to create a mish-mash of both) but are still 2nd to none for anyone looking to complete their collections. :clap:
I AM The Night!!!

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

So where are you going next? Triumphant had an almost crossover with Defiant - War Dancer on the Defiant side and... I can't remember who on the Triumphant side. I want to say it involved back covers of Triumphant comics?

Following Ultraverse, Malibu had some other lines that were kind of interesting, like the Genesis and Bravura lines. There is also a complicated web of pre-Malibu companies that ended up coalescing into Malibu. Aircel, for example, was a Canadian manufacturer of insulation that got wrangled into publishing comics somehow and they were the first publisher of the Men in Black comics.

Pacific, First, Comico, Continuity and Eclipse all had interesting books in the 80s. Many of the character driven titles were really good, too good to be forgotten in these quarter bins of history, like Starslayer, Grimjack, Nexus, Dreadstar, Grendel... the list goes on.

Each DU has its charm. Every DU has some good stories written by good writers. Every DU has some good art by some good artists. They are dead, they are finite and they are ours.

shadow5555

Post by shadow5555 »

Chiclo wrote:So where are you going next?
I think the bus has stopped on DU (for now).

I wanted to do Milestone a few years ago, but the main title I'm interested in (Static Shock) was way too expensive. I would consider Omnibus pickups if DC cared enough to reprint the line, but I don't think they care to do it.
Triumphant had an almost crossover with Defiant - War Dancer on the Defiant side and... I can't remember who on the Triumphant side. I want to say it involved back covers of Triumphant comics?
http://www.angelfire.com/comics/triumph ... xover.html

Yeah...probably not. I remember seeing The Chromium Man in a $0.25 bin ages ago and just slowly putting it back in the box where I think it needed to stay. lol 8-)
Following Ultraverse, Malibu had some other lines that were kind of interesting, like the Genesis and Bravura lines.
In that massive Ultraverse haul I got a good deal on, he added The Protectors complete run, it looked pretty cool, but the Genesis stuff really didn't appeal, I really didn't want those, but he sent them anyway, so I'll read them and see how they were.

I also have a handful of Starlin's Breed that I have though lot purchases, I might go and get the few missing issues I need, but it's not a priority at this time.
There is also a complicated web of pre-Malibu companies that ended up coalescing into Malibu. Aircel, for example, was a Canadian manufacturer of insulation that got wrangled into publishing comics somehow and they were the first publisher of the Men in Black comics.
Just took a quick gander at their Wikipedia page, nothing stands out (raised an eye-brow when I read they did a mature line, only thought fantagraphics was the major publisher of adult books in North America.
Pacific, First, Comico, Continuity and Eclipse all had interesting books in the 80s. Many of the character driven titles were really good, too good to be forgotten in these quarter bins of history, like Starslayer, Grimjack, Nexus, Dreadstar, Grendel... the list goes on.
I have a smattering of First books, mainly because of Ostrander (Grim Jack, Starslayer) and grabbed a few others like American Flagg (I'm a huge Chaykin fan from his mid-80's period when he was at his peak), Badger (blame Nexus, lol), Jon Sable Freelance (I dig a lot of Mike Grell's work as well), Whisper and the various cross overs. So more than a smattering, more like a few hundred. lol

Nexus and Grendel I got into after Dark Horse started reprints, I have a few Comico issues of Grendel (the stuff that was never collected "the incubation years") and until new Nexus comes out, I have the entire run through reprints and TPB's.

I just recently picked up all of Airboy (and related series) from Eclipse (since I like Tim Truman's art) and I'm trying to find Scout at a decent price (might go w/what's available in the TPB's) and I'm all caught up with the Marvel reprints of Miracle/Marvel Man stuff, now the wait begins for them to finally finish it, lol.

I have bits and pieces of Continuity's stuff (and Lord knows I loves me some Neal Adams) but I only really seem to love 60's-80's Neal Adams w/DC characters (again when he was at his creative peak) and even though I bought his Batman/Superman mini series, his art, it just doesn't have the "IT" factor it used too, sadly. Not to mention the writing (of the Batman story anyway), yeah let's just not mention that.
Each DU has its charm. Every DU has some good stories written by good writers. Every DU has some good art by some good artists. They are dead, they are finite and they are ours.
No disagreements here. I just got to consider how far down the rabbit hole I can and want to continue to go.

I'm waiting for the eventual Captain Marvel Omnibus (the big red cheese, that is) DC will release with the movie coming out next year. I own all of the Archive Editions DC put out (sadly way too few, which also got me interested in Mac Raboy with Captain Marvel Jr., Flash Gordon & Green Lama) I still one day want to read the epic Monster Society of Evil cross over. Other than Jerry Ordway's run, they've never done that character justice before or since (even though Roy Thomas tried, he just wasn't the man for the character).

So I have to weigh going after more DU books or be happy with what I have right now and get the other things I'm more interested in (Morrison's JLA & Animal Man) (the Barks library from Fantagraphics, which I've been patiently collecting since they announced it years ago).

Just in the last few years alone I've added 5 long boxes to the collection, if I follow the DU onward that'll grow possibly to a limit I'm not comfortable with since I already have years worth of books to read through now.

Unless something jumps out at me from here, I think my DU quest will be done (for the moment anyway). I'll probably just start going through creators I really like (Ostrander, Thomas, Grell, Wagner, Morrison, and many more) and get some of there older stuff I missed (if there is any) or just keep up with their newer stuff (I missed a few Ostrander/Mandrake kickstarter projects they did).

The only extra thing I'm getting at the moment is the trading cards for Defiant, Valiant and the 1st series of DC cards I skipped (since I was a Marvel Zombie back then, plus they arguably had a cooler trading card line with the 3 marvel series & the Jim Lee X-Men set)

Right now the shelves and boxes overfloweth, lol, I might peek in the DU to see if there's anything I want to tackle, but I think I'm content for now (until the Siren's call of the Milestone Universe becomes too much for me to resist that is, :D :wink: )
I AM The Night!!!

shadow5555

Post by shadow5555 »

Been awhile since I dipped a toe in here, so I came looking again, lol.

Been going back and grabbing all of the George Perez's work I missed getting which some happened to also be part of DUs (Cross-Gen) which I didn't have, I got the Ultra Verse years ago thanks to the help of many folks for that. I picked up NewUniversal (which I probably mentioned before and a few of the New Universe books that I was interested in as well).

Which led me to look over the lists again that are posted here as well as to see what was listed for Impact Comics (I got some late 80's-early 90's Superman books which had in house ads for those books) and got interested in them. So I managed to get all 112 or how many there are for about ~$120 which I think was reasonable.

And now that DC is reprinting Milestone in the Compendium collections, I took that plunge too, 8-) I just hope they keep bringing them out though the 1st and 2nd volumes had a year between releases, and they have plenty more to go.

I'm still not sold on Comics Greatest World (aka Dark Horse Heroes), I couldn't wrap my head around it back in the 90's and I still am confused by it today, I see the collections they have, I just don't know if I'm interested in the properties enough to make the investment. I might have to read the thread and see if you guys can convince me or not, lol.

Otherwise just been buying older DC and Marvel stuff focusing on creators and storylines I'm interested in (Perez / Ordway). I come to this part of the forum every few years when the DU itch hits and I want to see if there's anything else I want to learn about and still collect.

Such an awesome resource and I appreciate all of the time and effort that went into it. :thumb:
I AM The Night!!!

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

Well I bought Deity: Requiem a one-shot that ended the Deity Universe, which is a shame that while it's convoluted lore it did have a lot of cool ideas but it's weird mash-up of superhero/sci-fi/fantasy/cyberpunk/teen drama/comedy/action and whatever else it's creators were either into (or thought their readers were into at the time) and IMHO just awful timing between the late 90s Image implosion and exodus (with many starting their own companies only for most to disappear after a year or two only Micheal Turner's Aspen Comics is the only one AFAIK that is still going) the speculator burst and comics crash, and 90s bad girl fad dying down when the original series started, their other comics at their own company didn't do well. It's a fun series that wears it's inspiration on it's sleeves and at was better written than most comics at the time, (although that isn't that hard) considering that this series was written Robert Napton who did do a good job of wrapping up a lot of plot threads in a 48 page book with dozens of characters and a series that wasn't and still isn't reprinted into proper TPB or collected edition. The original $6.95 US price point might have put off some people and the fold out cover artwork isn't very good IMHO. The artwork is decent if at times confusing due to the artists trying to match the late 90s Image style and a more 00s anime style. Plus Napton's writing is at times clunky and over blown and other times it feels like he's trying to remember what happened to everybody in the previous series and trying to remember his original idea for how the series was going to end. Not a bad read or an over all series of mini-series and one-shots. Not hard to find unless you want all the bloody variant covers and there are way too many variants for most of if not all of the issues of the previous series. Then good luck. The series also announces that an illustrated novelization of the original series was planned and there is even a 2 page preview of it in the book and the back cover. I don't think it was ever happened.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!