OFFICIALLY adding the following book(s) !!!

Comic universes no longer active, Bravura, Continuity, CrossGen, Future, Malibu, Ultraverse... and others that are 'no longer with us' today (or only recently brought back).

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Knightt
Master of the Dead Universes
OFFICIALLY adding the following book(s) !!!

Post by Knightt »

I figured this would be a good announcement for information purposes.

I will post any new finds here (as should the rest of you) and depending on circumstances, I will officially add it to the current running list of books as per DU of said 'new find'. This will include never before seen 'variants, ashcans, and DF books'. I am not going to add Dynamic Forces books to the 'official' list as it is more of a DF ordeal as opposed to the VVSSs in the Valiant world because Valiant produced those but I want people to know that these are out there.

First up is an official addition to the Tekno Comics list. I just picked up a Tekno ashcan that was exclusive to the 1996 San Diego Comic Con. Here are pics of the cover (f & b) and a couple interior pages just to wet your appetite:

COVER

INTERIOR PAGE

INTERIOR PAGE

NEXT

Here is a Dynamic Forces signed Crossgen book that I picked up from a very kind board member in a very acceptable trade (I traded cash for the book :) ). It will not go on the 'official' list (yet) and I notice that there are quite a few more signatures on the actual book than on the COA. I am sure the previous owner went around to a Con or two adding more as the previous owner went along. The book comes in a Wizard holofoil stamped Ultra-Pro bag:

COVER

COA

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

OFFICIALLY added a Milestone Comics sticky with pre-existing posts as per yous guyses request.

viewtopic.php?t=11650

tictuck
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by tictuck »

Very nice Knightt :thumb: Now when are you going to start collecting this Great DU :lol: Unless you already are :hm:

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

tictuck wrote:Very nice Knightt :thumb: Now when are you going to start collecting this Great DU :lol: Unless you already are :hm:
I can safely say that I will not be collecting Milestone anytime soon. I don't even think that I have cracked open a single copy with any real intent on reading it.

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

Knightt wrote:
tictuck wrote:Very nice Knightt :thumb: Now when are you going to start collecting this Great DU :lol: Unless you already are :hm:
I can safely say that I will not be collecting Milestone anytime soon. I don't even think that I have cracked open a single copy with any real intent on reading it.
If I were to recommend 3 books that are the best of Milestone I'd say Xombi (22 issues) which is a bit like a Vertigo book with less navel gazing; Icon which is really the story of Icon's sidekick and the journey she undergoes whilst guiding this super-powerful alien; and Shadow Cabinet. The latter book didn't last as long as some of the titles and may not be the strongest book in the line, but it has a cast you will either really like or not, so may give a good sense of the line as a whole.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

Brother J
Just trying to be self-deprecating
Just trying to be self-deprecating

Post by Brother J »

leonmallett wrote:
Knightt wrote:
If I were to recommend 3 books that are the best of Milestone I'd say Xombi (22 issues) which is a bit like a Vertigo book with less navel gazing; Icon which is really the story of Icon's sidekick and the journey she undergoes whilst guiding this super-powerful alien; and Shadow Cabinet. The latter book didn't last as long as some of the titles and may not be the strongest book in the line, but it has a cast you will either really like or not, so may give a good sense of the line as a whole.
I never read any of these, so I'll have to look into them if I can ever find them cheap. I have read the early issues of Static and enjoyed them very much, reminds me of early Spider-Man stories with a more modern feel.

leonmallett
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

Brother J wrote:
leonmallett wrote:
Knightt wrote:
I never read any of these, so I'll have to look into them if I can ever find them cheap. I have read the early issues of Static and enjoyed them very much, reminds me of early Spider-Man stories with a more modern feel.
Static is great, especially the first 25-30 issues and the mini. I would rank it Hardware and Blood Syndicate above Shadow Cabinet, but the latter I mention because it showcases a lot about Milestone.

I agree with the Spider-man comparison.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

fury143
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by fury143 »

Agree, Static was a pretty good comic. I did get a couple of issues when it came out. As I remember there was buzz about the comic when it first came out.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Officially added to the Comico list:

Batman/Grendel mini-series

mrwoogieman
All this talk of 'snipping' is making me keep my legs crossed.

Post by mrwoogieman »

Nice! I didn't even notice this thread!

:thumb:

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Pay attention, MAN... you're a lawyer for God's sake. :lol: :lol: :lol:
mrwoogieman wrote:Nice! I didn't even notice this thread!

mrwoogieman

Post by mrwoogieman »

I just picked up a Grendel tpb from Comico, signed by Matt Wagner! Bonus!

I'm working my way toward a complete Comico Grendel collection. When I finish, I'll put up a separate post and scans.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

mrwoogieman wrote:I just picked up a Grendel tpb from Comico, signed by Matt Wagner! Bonus!

I'm working my way toward a complete Comico Grendel collection. When I finish, I'll put up a separate post and scans.

Is this a 'new item' not on the list ?

Comico is a huge collection of titles... as is Eclipse, my Lord they had A LOT of titles back in the day. And now... I would imagine that most readers dont even know that they existed.

I want to add a T.H.U.N.D.E.R. AGENTS section but I don't know what all companies that they spanned or a book count or anything. I would like to add something about them... anyone have any sources ? I recently picked up quite a few books and honestly, I love 'em !!!! There was also a magazine sized issue that I got with the lot that had a b/w issue that had an exclusive Neal Adams drawn story that ONLY appeared in that issue (GREAT story) that I didnt know existed. So there is a lot of 'old heroes' out there that there was an attempt at bringing them back at one time (normally Mailbu's gig). The art is by George Perez and Tex... which means top quality but I need more info.

Anyone ?

Bueller ?

svair
HEY ALL...I'M NEW TO THE SITE AND HAVE KEPT LOW PROFILE
HEY ALL...I'M NEW TO THE SITE AND HAVE KEPT LOW PROFILE
Valiant fan since: inception

Post by svair »

mrwoogieman

Post by mrwoogieman »

Knightt wrote:
mrwoogieman wrote:I just picked up a Grendel tpb from Comico, signed by Matt Wagner! Bonus!

Is this a 'new item' not on the list ?

Comico is a huge collection of titles...
Yes, it's not on your list; it's an oversize TPB called Devil By the Deed, reprinting the first three black and white issues, I believe.
Knightt wrote: as is Eclipse, my Lord they had A LOT of titles back in the day. And now... I would imagine that most readers dont even know that they existed.
Yes, both Comico and Eclipse have a diverse group under the banner, most of which are unrelated to one another.

My primary interest in Comico is the Matt Wagner Grendels; the Dark Horse versions just aren't my cup of tea.

mrwoogieman

Post by mrwoogieman »

Magazine sized, nice silver Sharpie sig on inside front cover.

JohnnyRnR
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by JohnnyRnR »

There's a nice HC of that as well with a sweet tip in autograph S/N page.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

I have not read ONE Grendel book... I trust they are good ?

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Knightt wrote:I have not read ONE Grendel book... I trust they are good ?
The stories about Hunter Rose were quite excellent. The stories about Christine Spar, Brian Li Sung and Chief Wiggins were not as good (Grendel ongoing Comico series, 1 to 20). In Comico's ongoing issue 24, they pick up with Eppy Thatcher and Orion Assante and get really good again.

Dark Horse then released Warchild, which was supposed to be Grendel 41 - 50 in the Comico line. That was really good too. The Grendel Tales varied, some were better than others.

There was a novel, Grendel: Past Prime that had Matt Wagner's name tied to it. The story was good, but at times it got a little trite (one guy's name was Barabbus).

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Just posted the following 'new' list for Dark Horse Comics Greatest World.

viewtopic.php?p=349659#349659

Phantom
I will call my mum and ask what the *SQUEE* is going on.
Location: I would rather be under the stars in a tent, or on a park bench.

Post by Phantom »

Draco
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Valiant fan since: preordered vh1 from start
Favorite character: X-O from vh1
Favorite title: X-O vh1
Favorite writer: Good question?
Favorite artist: ooooh another good question

Post by Draco »

Phantom wrote:you forgot this one from malibu

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MALIBU-COMICS-SPA ... dZViewItem

:P

Phantom
Location: I would rather be under the stars in a tent, or on a park bench.

Post by Phantom »

somehow I knew it would be you to first check.
Did you have a nice bank holiday?

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Phantom wrote:you forgot this one from malibu

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MALIBU-COMICS-SPA ... dZViewItem
I don't know if this is a joke or not, so I'll kill it with trivia just in case.

The early Image books were printed and distributed with Malibu for several months until Image got the infrastructure for itself. One of the main reasons for starting the Ultraverse line was to fill the gap left when the Image books went off on their own. The indica for these books includes an early Malibu insignia, a stylized yellow M (that looked most like an upside-down, lower-case Omega) in a blue ring. I may have those colours reversed.

As I recall, Malibu Sun issue 16 advertised the new Spawn books and 26 advertised the upcoming Ultraverse so there's a fairly good indication at the time that passed between the two universe start-ups.

Draco
Valiant fan since: preordered vh1 from start
Favorite character: X-O from vh1
Favorite title: X-O vh1
Favorite writer: Good question?
Favorite artist: ooooh another good question

Post by Draco »

Phantom wrote:somehow I knew it would be you to first check.
Did you have a nice bank holiday?
Dude, im so fuc ked.

Got up early to go swimming then playing in the park, followed by shopping and then dinner for my moms birthday.

She just left and my gut hurts.

She left some wine though so all good.

What did you do today to enjoy your free day?

Draco