2006 Cystic Fibrosis Fund Raiser

Board member driven topics. Participation is completely voluntary.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

oh...btw...great job guys :thumb:
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

Vault-Keeper
Mr. Sunshine
Mr. Sunshine

Post by Vault-Keeper »

[Edited by Greg - First sentence deleted]

Congratulations on such a great contribution to CF. I pray that your daughter can gain weight, so she might avoid the surgery. Regardless of how you might feel about me, you are a good man & a great Father. Keep up the good work, & "Stay Alive, Men!" :thumb:---Steve

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

Vault-Keeper wrote:[Edited by Greg - First sentence deleted]

Congratulations on such a great contribution to CF. I pray that your daughter can gain weight, so she might avoid the surgery. Regardless of how you might feel about me, you are a good man & a great Father. Keep up the good work, & "Stay Alive, Men!" :thumb:---Steve
The post above was edited to remove a negative statement. The remainder
of the post was quite positive, and has been allowed to remain,
however, the original post contained a statement that was essentially a 'poison'
positioned strategically before the 'sugar' of the rest of the post.

This is the final warning to Vault-Keeper for his continued contact with Knightt.
You are not to contact Knightt (or X-OMatic), regardless of the content.

Greg wrote: viewtopic.php?t=2125

September 20th, 2005
... a long-term feud was rekindled by two of the three main participants.
I issued a warning to all three participants that it would be tolerated no longer.
Any further contact toward each other (whether directly or indirectly)
would not be allowed, and posts would be edited or deleted as needed.

Vault-Keeper
Mr. Sunshine
Mr. Sunshine

Post by Vault-Keeper »

No problem.

Your saying that my comment was 'poison' is wrong, & makes my actual statement sound worse than what it really was. Excuse me if it still saddens me that someone whom I thought was a friend turned on me for no apparent reason last July. Whatever...I'm over it.

DawgPhan
My posts are simmered in four flavors

Post by DawgPhan »

greg wrote:
Vault-Keeper wrote:[Edited by Greg - First sentence deleted]

The post above was edited to remove a negative statement. The remainder
of the post was quite positive, and has been allowed to remain,
however, the original post contained a statement that was essentially a 'poison'
positioned strategically before the 'sugar' of the rest of the post.

This is the final warning to Vault-Keeper for his continued contact with Knightt.
You are not to contact Knightt (or X-OMatic), regardless of the content.

Greg wrote: viewtopic.php?t=2125

September 20th, 2005
... a long-term feud was rekindled by two of the three main participants.
I issued a warning to all three participants that it would be tolerated no longer.
Any further contact toward each other (whether directly or indirectly)
would not be allowed, and posts would be edited or deleted as needed.
:lol:

:roll:

Byrneout
...and in THIS corner...
...and in THIS corner...
Location: Originally Hell's Kitchen, NY - *SKREE* that "Clinton, NY" *SKREE* - now Cincinnati, OH

Post by Byrneout »

Thank you one and all for the compliments. As I said, it was an exhausting weekend, but well worth it. Other charities would have been content to sit back, do nothing, and receive a check, but Chris came up to Phoenix to make sure that we had on-site support - that type of dedication to a cause is rare indeed!

So, for the weekend, all of my kudos go to Chris!

svair
HEY ALL...I'M NEW TO THE SITE AND HAVE KEPT LOW PROFILE
HEY ALL...I'M NEW TO THE SITE AND HAVE KEPT LOW PROFILE
Valiant fan since: inception

Post by svair »

Well done Gentleman!!!!
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Knightt
Master of the Dead Universes

Post by Knightt »

Just an update...

The check for the $13,000+ fund raiser has been CUT and I should be receiving it soon. I will hand carry this huge donation to the main branch and it will be used RIGHT AWAY and annotated on the Team Alyssa website which HAS been updated and can be viewed HERE:

http://www.cff.org/Great_Strides/dsp_Do ... User=90565

The photo of our lil gal has been updated as well. So far she is doing ok with the exception of weight gain. We were given a two month repreave from the last doctor we saw. It was a repreave for two reasons. One, this doctor wants us to try and continue to have Alyssa gain weight and he is convinced that she is just on HER weight growth curve. She really IS a little girl. Second, I have a shoulder operation coming up and it will give me a couple of weeks to recover and then be able to help out after her surgery IF she needs it. We are still hoping that she will not need it but I am not fooling myself. It just may be for the best.

x-omatic
Did someone call for a Hired Gun?

Post by x-omatic »

:thumb:
Thanks to your participation, GREAT STRIDES raised more than $28 million this year.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

It has not escaped my attention that over on the Lyria Message Boards, that my name and activities were for a short period of time a heated topic. A heated topic in which some of our very own board members here on valiantfans.com were involved in. An idea was batted around (by vf.com members on that site) that I had used ‘donation monies’ to fund the cruise that my family and I went on directly after the fund raiser was over. I want to assure board members HERE that this was NOT the case. Perhaps, the timing of the cruise could have been better to some outside parties but it could not have been better for myself and my family whom had not seen all that much of me as I worked the fund raiser for months, week after week from May to September, essentially putting them on hold.

It was also bandied about that the money that I spent on the cruise could have been donated to my own fund raiser… let me assure you that Capitol One is STILL funding my cruise and I hope to get that paid off soon. It was not until this month that I finally paid off my Ebay fees for conducting the CFF auctions on the Ebay website. Fees that when all put together were well over $1,000.

Another point of discussion was the VcVSS books that were put together for the CFF fund raiser. One put together by Brother J (thank you, sir) and another put together by myself, Justin and Stu (thank you, gentlemen). I am sorry if the vocal minority does not like this or feels that it was a forced donation by them. I cannot please everyone and thought it was a good idea and a pretty good project. I could have taken the money directly and then donated accordingly but I did not want to have any of the money pass through my hands so the donation site through the CFF was created. Donations went directly into CF research within days after it hit the site. I would think that if it was truly a bad idea that Greg would have not been such an adamant supporter of this. We talked quite a long time on the phone about this and I cannot speak for Greg but my impression is that he supports it (even providing the COAs himself). I have also been assured that there will an allocation for me to do another CF fund raiser this year with a VfVSS project. One that has already been started and is slated to top the most recent CF VfVSS project. I am pretty excited about it and while I know that all of you will not be excited about it, I hope that the majority will be.

I just want to let the members of this board know that things are on the up and up. You may have read what went on for over 30 pages on the Lyria Boards and it may have made you turn up your eyebrow… I assure you, the members of this Board that things are on the up and up. Most recently I received a check to the tune of $13,200 that was raised over a long weekend (thanks again, Ric better known as Byrneout on this board), all of which goes to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. As you can see here:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/ ... fcheck.jpg

The check is made OUT to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, there is no way I can siphon off funds to send me and my family on a cruise. Just as last year when I asked that the donations for the VcVSS book and if you or anyone won an auction off Ebay be sent directly to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation via our website. Why a certain train of thought was pursued and entertained by others… is beyond me. Again, I assure you that all donations went to the CFF and are being used to fund cure research. I can provide the name and phone number/email address to the CF representative in Tucson, AZ to verify Team Alyssa’s donations efforts and totals ($17,000+). This person knows of our message board and how the majority of the funds were raised. Please PM me if you are interested or even better email me at roguesf333@cox.net . If you have any questions, call me at home. I am ever prepared to answer questions, sate curiosity or put doubts/fears to rest.

And lastly, a former board member was posting something to the effect that I am an over protective ‘new’ parent and essentially over reacting to my daughter’s fatal disease. This came from someone who does not have any children (that I know of). Well, many of you know, I am hardly a ‘new’ parent… I have six children, three boys and three girls ages 16 to 2 years. I am not 100% sure but I think that this gets me out of the category of a ‘new parent’. Secondly, while yes it is reported that the mean average of children/people with Cystic Fibrosis is 30 years, it is still a fatal disease. Fatal by definition:

fatal
This adjective applies to what causes or is likely to cause death. Fatal describes conditions, circumstances, or events that have caused or are destined to cause death or dire consequences: a fatal illness.

So, yes someone out there is downplaying a fatal disease. Hmmm do I want to live until I am 30 years old or do I want to live until I am 75 years old. That is an easy choice for me. But there is something that people do not understand… a mean average is just that, an average. This does not mean that all persons with Cystic Fibrosis live to 30 years of age

Am I over reacting ? I don’t think so but even if I am… I am a man, a father trying to make the world a better place by raising money to find a cure that will not only hopefully save my daughters life… but the lives of children around the world. There is research in trying to find a cure for CF (which is involving gene manipulation) that will also lead to other discoveries, other diseases that will be cured. And you people on this board are already a part of that.

Is the over $10,000 that we raised on this message board a drop in the bucket ? Hardly, $.90 out of every dollar is used directly for research. Compared to other disease research organizations, this is huge.

So, should I stop over reacting because the mean average for kids with CF is 30 years ? Well, I could… but then, if I stop and 100 other parents stop and then 100 other parents stop. Where will the much needed donations for research come from ? This is my mission. If you support it… thank you. If you do not, please do not bad mouth it or the great actions of your fellow board members.

This year we lost one of our young people in my community to Cystic Fibrosis. He was four years old.

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

Chris, I'm sorry to hear there has been such ideas of possible controversy. You and all others who have supported the cause can stand proud.

/Magnus

jedimarley
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.

Post by jedimarley »

Chris, me and my family are behind you, your family and the CF fundraiser 100%.

Whatever we can do to help find a cure, We're here.

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

Knightt wrote: So, should I stop over reacting because the mean average for kids with CF is 30 years ? Well, I could… but then, if I stop and 100 other parents stop and then 100 other parents stop. Where will the much needed donations for research come from ? This is my mission. If you support it… thank you. If you do not, please do not bad mouth it or the great actions of your fellow board members.
:thumb:
ASM Crossover Home

x-omatic

Post by x-omatic »

Chris, you have support 100%! The people who were talkin *SQUEE* about the CF donations are not worth the time of day. Don't let a couple of idiots that speak out of thier *SQUEE* discourge you. Their words are jaded by their dislike for you and nothing more.

You can count on me to help out any way I can. Just say the word.

Brother J
Just trying to be self-deprecating
Just trying to be self-deprecating

Post by Brother J »

well said, Chris! I look forward to helping out again with the CF fundraising this upcoming year in whatever way I can. :thumb:

dac55
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
CFF

Post by dac55 »

I learned a long time ago not to worry about what a few people think about me Chris. So I wouldent worry about what the few Week of mind think.

David :thumb:

jedimarley
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.

Post by jedimarley »

Great to see when people pull together. :thumb:

DawgPhan

Post by DawgPhan »

x-omatic wrote:Chris, you have support 100%! The people who were talkin *SKREE* about the CF donations are not worth the time of day. Don't let a couple of idiots that speak out of thier *SKREE* discourge you. Their words are jaded by their dislike for you and nothing more.

You know that isnt what happened...

x-omatic

Post by x-omatic »

DawgPhan wrote:
x-omatic wrote:Chris, you have support 100%! The people who were talkin *SKREE* about the CF donations are not worth the time of day. Don't let a couple of idiots that speak out of thier *SKREE* discourge you. Their words are jaded by their dislike for you and nothing more.

It was in the posts I read. And there were many accusations about Knights character.

DawgPhan

Post by DawgPhan »

x-omatic wrote:
DawgPhan wrote:

It was in the posts I read. And there were many accusations about Knights character.
I dont think that he ever said that he believe that the donations were used incorrectly...If you guys want to toss out thinly veiled attacks at him so be it, but you know that the facts are being twisted...

/sarcasm/ far be it from me to dispute this version of the truth though.

cinlach@aol.com
kneel before zod! snoochie boochies!!
Valiant fan since: From the beginning...
Favorite character: Wow, who can pick just one?
Favorite writer: FVL FTW!

Post by cinlach@aol.com »

i haven't been to the other board in question and i'll not go there...not becase i have a problem with the folks over there but because this is a matter which is stemming from our neck of cyberspace...i'll address it here. the only reason things are being said there is because the people involved are too chicken *SQUEE* to say it here...they know greg won't put up with it and rightfully so. if the organizers of the other board wish to allow that sort of negativity to fester in their world then that's their decision...i'll not be a part of it.

this whole thing is so simple...this whole thing comes down to trust...and it's not an oversimplification to boil it down to just that one word.

trust.

if you don't trust chris to do what he says he will do...then don't send him your money. how much simpler can it be then that?

i'm fairly certain that at some point during the last year this came up on our boards (no, i'm not going to dig through 12 months worth of posts to find just one statement...i'm sure someone out there will be chomping at the bit to throw it up in my face if i'm wrong). in my recollection chris said, and i'm paraphrasing here, "if you don't want to give the money to me directly then donate it to the cf in another manner as long as the money helps the cff."

he didn't care about getting the money himself...he just wanted the money to go to the organization of his choosing. it's his project, he's donating the money to whom he wishes...where's the villiany in that?

as for whether or not it made us give a "forced" donation who cares? if you have some kind of severe beef with either chris or the cff then DON'T PARTICIPATE. nobody signed any binding contract that said you "must" participate in the fan organized projects.

duh...how hard is that concept to wrap your head around?

just because there's a new vcvss/vfvss project doesn't mean anyone is "forcing" you to participate. you're doing so out of either your desire to help the chosen recipient and get something that means something to you at the same time or you're doing it simply because you want the project itself and you could care less about where the money goes.

and what exactly is so *SQUEE* wrong with chris being able to take his family on a nice vacation? where is it written that the scott family has to remain sequestered in their home all year long? why does the money have to come from less then honorable means? is someone's dislike of chris so severe that they're willing to pull this rumor *SQUEE* out of their *SQUEE* in order to make him look bad and thereby make themselves look better?

doesn't alyssa deserve to have as normal a life as possible??? isn't that what the whole purpose of the cff is in the first place...to try and normalize things for people affected by this terrible disease??? doesn't she deserve the chance and opportunity to get away and have some fun with her family???

*SQUEE*...are some of us so petty that we'd actually try to make something as generous and deserving as the cff auctions into something chris was doing for his own *SQUEE* benefit?

do those people honestly believe that alyssa and alyssa alone will benefit from the fundraising efforts put forth by her father?

how dare you attempt to cheapen the good works we've done here...how dare you try and sully the charitable activities that WE collectively as a community have made.

how dare you put your insignifigant, petty gripes ahead of the well-being and happiness of children who were born innocently into the world with the burden of coping with this disease.

if there's anyone here who's been "forced" to do something they don't want it's the children of the cff foundation.

grow the *SQUEE* up...get over yourself...move on with your life...seriously.

now i'm off before i get banned.
WWSLJD, MF?

DawgPhan

Post by DawgPhan »

cinlach@aol.com wrote:i haven't been to the other board in question and i'll not go there...not becase i have a problem with the folks over there but because this is a matter which is stemming from our neck of cyberspace...i'll address it here. the only reason things are being said there is because the people involved are too chicken *SKREE* to say it here...they know greg won't put up with it and rightfully so. if the organizers of the other board wish to allow that sort of negativity to fester in their world then that's their decision...i'll not be a part of it.

this whole thing is so simple...this whole thing comes down to trust...and it's not an oversimplification to boil it down to just that one word.

trust.

if you don't trust chris to do what he says he will do...then don't send him your money. how much simpler can it be then that?

i'm fairly certain that at some point during the last year this came up on our boards (no, i'm not going to dig through 12 months worth of posts to find just one statement...i'm sure someone out there will be chomping at the bit to throw it up in my face if i'm wrong). in my recollection chris said, and i'm paraphrasing here, "if you don't want to give the money to me directly then donate it to the cf in another manner as long as the money helps the cff."

he didn't care about getting the money himself...he just wanted the money to go to the organization of his choosing. it's his project, he's donating the money to whom he wishes...where's the villiany in that?

as for whether or not it made us give a "forced" donation who cares? if you have some kind of severe beef with either chris or the cff then DON'T PARTICIPATE. nobody signed any binding contract that said you "must" participate in the fan organized projects.

duh...how hard is that concept to wrap your head around?

just because there's a new vcvss/vfvss project doesn't mean anyone is "forcing" you to participate. you're doing so out of either your desire to help the chosen recipient and get something that means something to you at the same time or you're doing it simply because you want the project itself and you could care less about where the money goes.

and what exactly is so *SKREE* wrong with chris being able to take his family on a nice vacation? where is it written that the scott family has to remain sequestered in their home all year long? why does the money have to come from less then honorable means? is someone's dislike of chris so severe that they're willing to pull this rumor *SKREE* out of their *SKREE* in order to make him look bad and thereby make themselves look better?

doesn't alyssa deserve to have as normal a life as possible??? isn't that what the whole purpose of the cff is in the first place...to try and normalize things for people affected by this terrible disease??? doesn't she deserve the chance and opportunity to get away and have some fun with her family???

*SKREE*...are some of us so petty that we'd actually try to make something as generous and deserving as the cff auctions into something chris was doing for his own *SKREE* benefit?

do those people honestly believe that alyssa and alyssa alone will benefit from the fundraising efforts put forth by her father?

how dare you attempt to cheapen the good works we've done here...how dare you try and sully the charitable activities that WE collectively as a community have made.

how dare you put your insignifigant, petty gripes ahead of the well-being and happiness of children who were born innocently into the world with the burden of coping with this disease.

if there's anyone here who's been "forced" to do something they don't want it's the children of the cff foundation.

grow the *SKREE* up...get over yourself...move on with your life...seriously.

now i'm off before i get banned.

nice. :roll:

and who is the "you" in your posts? You didnt quote anyone so I was just wondering..

cinlach@aol.com
Valiant fan since: From the beginning...
Favorite character: Wow, who can pick just one?
Favorite writer: FVL FTW!

Post by cinlach@aol.com »

honestly i have no idea who the "you" is...

the "you" is whoever it's applicable to...if i wanted to single one, two or three people out i would've used their names.

i haven't seen the posts at lyria so i can't say who's who and what's what.

all i've got to go off of is the information presented here and the past drama surrounding these topics in my personal recollection.

we can agree to disagree if we must but i've got no problems with you dawg...i'm not looking to cause more drama, simply stating my opinion which is apparantly what happened in other places.

we can disagree and still continue to coexist and all that warm fuzzy crap can't we?
WWSLJD, MF?

DawgPhan

Post by DawgPhan »

cinlach@aol.com wrote:honestly i have no idea who the "you" is...

the "you" is whoever it's applicable to...if i wanted to single one, two or three people out i would've used their names.

i haven't seen the posts at lyria so i can't say who's who and what's what.

all i've got to go off of is the information presented here and the past drama surrounding these topics in my personal recollection.

we can agree to disagree if we must but i've got no problems with you dawg...i'm not looking to cause more drama, simply stating my opinion which is apparantly what happened in other places.

we can disagree and still continue to coexist and all that warm fuzzy crap can't we?
Yeah but you are basing opinions on half truths and the opinions of those who have reason to mislead you...Go read what was said and form an opinion based on that...and I cant agree that someone is a *SQUEE* because they post on another board...

Unblessed
I must be flogged.
I must be flogged.

Post by Unblessed »

In the coming months the sea lions will be on the California coast. This is my time of year to make my money. Baby Seal clubbing season is not well publicized. And well, we do it at night, while the seals (and people) are sleeping.

I just want you all to know how proud I am to be part of this board, these fund raisers, and I'm proud to say I make my money clubbing baby seals.

~Unblessed